Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm seeing a lot of my biggest mapgame streamer pet peeve, which is when they "apologize" for pronouncing things wrong but don't bother to try and learn the correct pronunciation, or sometimes even read the whole word. There's one guy playing Maurya who clearly put in some effort to get the Indian names right, which is cool, but there's so many more "Seculids" and "Ingvaeon— I'm not even gonna try to pronounce this one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure changing dynasties is okay (you don't have as much influence over inheritance as you do in CK2 anyway) but you DO get a game over if you lose a civil war.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

sudo rm -rf posted:

some quick work on germanic tribe names that i'll probably put in a mod:

I love the idea but at least some of these are just modern (High) German versions of the Latin names, right? Aside from being anachronistic, it's not any more closely related to the actual autonym than the Latin.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Interesting that none of the tribes that can form Galatia seem to start out as migratory.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Magissima posted:

Interesting that none of the tribes that can form Galatia seem to start out as migratory.

Okay, Boihaemia does but it doesn't have the diplo range to reach Asia Minor, so you have to pick up all your pops and become a migratory horde, march towards your target, and declare a no cb war. Migratory hordes are weird, you're not making any money from provinces but you still have to pay army upkeep on the migratory armies, so you immediately go deep into bankruptcy. Also migratory armies can access anyone's lands but your clan retinues can't, so you need to fight with nothing but light infantry.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

alcaras posted:

Archers as the default front line troops? That seems... bad?

I think the idea is that the archers and light infantry are the expendable troops you use to soften up the enemy before your heavy infantry/chariots/elephants come in to finish them off.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

more names would be nice too

To be fair it's definitely historically accurate. According to wikipedia there were only around 36 personal names at the beginning of the republic and only half of them were common, which is why nicknames eventually became an integral part of Roman names.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Personally I'm surprised there aren't formables for North Germanic unification and Germanic Britannia. More formables would be a good stopgap step to giving the player more concrete goals imo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

bees everywhere posted:

Here is something very annoying: If you have a powerful tributary state and they're disloyal, instead of declaring an independence war the game will say you have a civil war coming because 34% or whatever of your population is living in disloyal provinces.

The tooltip is misleading also because it makes you think it's your own provinces and population that is the problem. Nope, don't let it fool you, the game considers tributary state pops to be your pops when it comes to this, but they won't be the ones to start a civil war. It picks a random character no matter their loyalty and then the civil war starts in a seemingly random province.

So that's how I ended up assimilating tons of pops and killing off almost every character I had through 5 civil wars before I figured out you don't need to keep all provinces 100% loyal all the time, you just need to cancel disloyal tributaries who get too big unless you have enough loyal pops to keep their ratio below 1/3rd.

I got bit by this too. Is there any indicator of whether the tributary is disloyal? Their opinion of me was decent and I wasn't sure how to make them loyal. And of course I couldn't cancel their tributary status because there was a truce.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That's like five hundred years out of period. You might as well throw in a formable for the Rashidun Caliphate

I know, I just think it would fun to have a reason to migrate :shobon:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

There's a dev diary expanding on these changes. Looks interesting, but I hope there are some more visceral consequences to starvation than just increased migration speed. I also kind of appreciate that not every low-pop, low-civilization patch of desert is considered a "city" anymore.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Feels like I've kind hit a civilization wall as a settled tribe. I maxed out centralization, which puts my civilization at 30%, but to change government types I need 50% civ in my capital. Afaict the only way to get it higher is to encourage urban development in my capital, which is one point every two years, and to improve my technology, which will take decades with the tiny number of inefficient citizens I have, even with the citizen output omen. Am I missing some other way to boost civilization?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
The laws are how you boost centralization, which reminds me, to any devs reading: maxing centralization is waaaay too easy right now.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I think the specific change they're talking about in that diary only hit the beta branch in the last couple days, right?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
In my current Atropatene -> Media game, I've taken so many slaves from the Seleucids that I've had to spend thousands of ducats evacuating them from my capital and some provincial capitals to prevent starvation. I think that there should be a mechanism for food imports (maybe just from neighboring provinces) that doesn't require spending a trade route on 5 measly food, but it's a pretty cool problem to have. I guess the real lesson is to never put your capital in a province with mostly mountains and hills and few or no food producing resources, although in my case forming Media moved it there against my will.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Regarding merc chat: I am glad I am keeping up with this thread because I was tempted to buy the game but I think I'll hold off a while longer because I would find that kind of poo poo infuriating.

Fwiw I haven't found mercenaries to be annoying at all

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I've been playing in Persia, the merc density might be lower because I don't feel like there are too many. Off the top of my head it's maybe one stack for every two or three provinces? I haven't noticed whether the Seleucids hire a lot of them as they have endless bodies to throw at me either way.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Attempted any assassinations recently? It's easy to miss that those incur AE.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

toasterwarrior posted:

It's on me to transfer slaves out of settlements past their pop cap, right? My capital city is second only to Alexandria in terms of density, but the rest of my Greek holdings are surprisingly bare or a lot less populated.

Pretty much, yeah. It's probably the clunkiest part of pop management.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I've found assaulting forts to be more effective and less costly than in EU4 fwiw, though I still often forget about it

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Eimi posted:

So similar to CK2, which is also vastly superior to EU4's.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I save scummed and upon reload that particular general had uh:

70% loyalty.

Haven't unpaused yet, but in service of some higher purpose she (last time) defected to the Tarentum Revolt. Tarentum is uh, the ally of Epirus, who is my ally. No connection otherwise lol

edit: it happened again the gently caress. it coincides with a "Civic Advances Advance!" tech unlock at the start of the month??? This drat 70 y/o lady General just up and joins a rando revolt?? woops game crashed gonna reload and fire her i guess.

edit2: If I switch out the General I guess she still sails away to Tarentum with all her loyal legions anyway?? The 18k stack turns into a 1k stack led by the new general, instead of an 18k stack of black flagged Tarentum rebels led by my own general.

Oh yeah this is while I'm at war with Carthage.

If you can reproduce it from the save definitely submit a bug report to paradox with the save attached.