Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How is this game with small weapons blocking larger ones? One thing that really got my goat in Chivalry is when a player with like a greatsword or maul went up against an archer with their dinky little dagger, getting effortlessly blocked until the heavier weapon guy ran out of stamina and then getting poked to death. Sure, there should be a way for anyone to win any duel, but it shouldn't be by tanking 5-pound weapons with a pigsticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

hitting somebody with a flying falchion right in the face before they can hit you with their stupid pole arm or giant sword and getting the kill for yourself instead is very satisfying and pretty funny when you retrieve it out of their dead body

I'm stealing this move and calling it the Falchion Punch

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Watching heads explode from maul smashes is a joy I didn't know I needed in my life.

Also, to an earlier discussion: if you check out the advanced stats for your weapons you'll see that the game sets maximum mouselook speed while swinging melee weapons, making Chivalry-style helicoptering impossible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One of the achievements is to get a kill with the training sword, a weapon that does around the same amount of damage as the carving knife.

Goddamnit why did I bother looking up the achievements

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

one of the chevos is also to kill someone with a emote that does one damage and has a windup time of like four seconds

Ah, that must be the secret one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Same. Fireproof is pretty good until people stop abusing firebombs, but you can just not walk into the fire, and if you're constantly moving as you should you won't be caught in it that much :shrug:

This is the kind of advice that seems very fine and sensible until every enemy team you run into's got at least two jackasses packing 2-3 firebombs who are really good at setting up boxes of fiery death. Or even worse, the opposite.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Anyways even if they add all that I refuse to be satisfied until I can wear a big metal ostentatious foot tourney skirt instead of dumb cloth and viking leather ones.

Fun Game Science I proved empirically: If you try to go allwyte armor without any waist cloth at all you will be teamhit at least 3 times as much just because it leaves you pretty much no color at all except the tiny gaps in your legs that arent visible from the front.

Armored mittens always crack me up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheeee posted:

this game needs saracens and samurai and poo poo

pity about all the chuds in this game

I hope at some point down the road the Deadliest Warrior people team up with them like they did with Chivalry, it'd be so much more interesting here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got uncontrollably tooled on by a peasant with an iron skillet

I got 27 assists by exclusively throwing frying pans at peoples' heads in a TDM yesterday :laugh:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 8, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is the war axe the only melee weapon that has no alt mode? Hell, even the maul can be thrown! (which is the most humiliating throw kill for my money, it only goes about 30 feet even with a sky-high arc) Seems like it should get the same grip mod as the evening star.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Surely Flight of the Bumblebee after killing someone and escaping their teammates' vengeance

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Diogines posted:

How DARE you, are you implying...

Yes. That.

Upon further reflection, in the blood-slickened blade of my glorious war axe as it beheads another mongrel zweihanding knave, complaint rescinded.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

I wish if I ran out of ranged weapons, it would switch to my other ranged weapons instead of my fists.

Mainly, if I chuck my maul at an opponent, I'd rather have my precious rocks than my stupid lovely fists.

Same with getting a weapon knocked out of your hands. I'm a 2/1/0 longbowman who just got jumped for 70 health and had his bow slapped away, cut me a break here and assume I want to switch to my short sword, okay?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Some people were asking for guides earlier, this guy seems to know a thing or two: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1640297858

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrgYgI8W_TI

1:25 lmao holy poo poo

I love trix, goddamnit. That long stretch after the catapult thing where he's just Sauron with the eveningstar, so good

I wonder if Trix always plays with no UI elements or just when recording, it certainly cuts down on distractions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I bought the claymore skin for the greatsword expecting it to just override all the other options, but it unlocked a full set of claymore customizations in the other slots :aaaaa: fuuuuuuuck I'm gonna waste so much gold on weapon skins now

Unlucky7 posted:

So the teams are red vs blue and there is no way to change this. EXCEPT that people can be covered in red blood! AND there is team damage!

This is a very good design decision!

And yet when you turn off team colors and turn on the overhead icon, it's this tiny dull yellow cross that's easy to lose in frenzies so it's hardly more helpful. And it seems most people are wearing tactical earth tones instead of the awesomely loud colors that medieval armies/mercenaries actually employed so disabling team colors is a huge disappointment anyway!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zotix posted:

What is the downside of playing a short spear?

Running into someone with a long spear? But then that's why you go around with three short spears, so

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I tried extreme sniper god longbow archery and it was boring, and also not very fun because of how slow arrows are in this game. Crossbow is better because you can aim longer and even fire a bit farther but still not great, but recurve bow extra-long spearman is where it's at. I don't even mind that kills are relatively rare because you can rack up plenty of points from rapid-fire pincushioning everything in sight for mucho assists anyway, and whipping out a mace whenver anyone survives to meet you face-to-face feels amazing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

My friend made an Archer assassin with throwing knives and appropriate traits it's quite the thing to behold

I wonder what's the minimum amount of team coloring you can pull off while still reasonably covering yourself (that is, not just stripping to the worker shorts).

Glenn Quebec posted:

Are you talking about the crouch guys who think it's slick to crouch then attack as they stand? Just overhead attack them

I do this while brawling and shout either SHORYUKEN or TOASTY when I connect, depending on mood

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Is it just me or does this game seem way easier in 3rd person? Being able to see your actual animations and the real physical reach of the sword has prevented a lot of "why the gently caress did my blade not reach" stuff that having no true 3D in first person does for melee combat.

It definitely helps for stabs, side-swings are fine in first person but stabs and sometimes overheads/underhands can be drat near invisible without the parallax that the third person camera's offset provides.

I bet this game would be dope as all getout in 3D.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hakimashou posted:

In chivalry fighting off your shoulder instead of in front of you was a viable thing

Plenty of the longer weapons in this game have horizontal arcs that start and end off the screen, unless you're in third person or have the FOV jacked way up into fisheye range. I'm not a great player by any means but I've pulled a few samurai :c00l: kills by starting a swing just as someone goes offscreen and popping them out of sight.

Telltolin posted:

I've noticed a bug since last night where every time I try to buy a piece of equipment, I get a spinning loading wheel forever :( It buys the item and it works after restarting, but this happens buying something every single time now. I'm verifying files on steam now in the hopes that fixes it.

edit: no

I've seen similar reports in the official forums, along with buying equipment and having it remain locked while it takes your gold. I'd refrain from buying new gear for now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rynoto posted:

The parrying you see in fighting games like this has nothing do with reality anyways. The entire point was to deflect rather than block weapon strikes because even attempting to fully block even with a large, heavy weapon would leave you with a twisted wrist at best and outright breaking it at worst. Incidentally daggers were perfectly fine for deflecting large weapons.

John Clement's Medieval Swordsmanship is probably the most comprehensive piece ever published on medieval weapons use for those curious.

I'll swing the maul/sledgehammer, you parry it with the dagger. I promise I won't hold back, wouldn't want a compromised test now!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Diogines posted:

Random sword chat:

A Zepathan doesn't see the appeal of swords :rolleyes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Diogines posted:

Of some swords!

I was thinking of the waraxe for damage when I made my post I think, since I used that a lot too. I never used the stab on the greatsword, after reading your post I tried stabbing more aaaaaand went #1 in kills on my next round of frontline. Yeah, this thing has a nasty stab heh.

Realtalk, even with longsword and up I often get more utility out of stabs than swings because people keep expecting those big horizontal swings and using their preprogrammed counters, even exec sword tickle-pokes can work mind games.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

think of it more like everyone else is getting better. I'm still doing the same wacky poo poo as week 1 but less people are falling for it.

I've noticed more people are starting to feint outside of duels and it's really psyching me out, and one guy in Frontline yesterday chambered my chamber of his maul overhead :pwn:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hybrid mode works for me, manually side-switching is a bridge too far

Babe Magnet posted:

one thing I've noticed in regards to that, and something that's starting to make frontlines a little more frustrating, is that people are able to tie you up longer, which is fine on its own but really makes archery stand out as kind of being in an unfun place imo. I'm not generally against archery as much as some people, but man is it starting to feel like a tool for Fun Denying more than anything. I just don't know what I would do about it. I wouldn't remove it, it has its place, but I also wouldn't make the weapons much weaker either, maybe a little weaker against heavier armor. Maybe limit the amount of archers that a team of a given size can field? I don't know.

Make the bows have differing properties vs. armor/hit location like different melee weapons do, or maybe you can switch between arrows that do better against stronger armor or weaker/no armor with alt-fire?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The eveningstar is more versatile than other blunt weapons with its actually good stab and switch grip, and can smash through armor like the mace while being longer and the maul while being faster, it's the total package.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

theres no tk limit so unless your trying to topfrag the match theres really no reason to worry about tking your own team. the maps are so hideously imbalanced that winning comes down to whether you joined the right team, usually

There's no TK limit but I still like money

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've gotten between 120 and 610 gold on start-to-finish Frontline rounds and similarly variable (though not as widespread) XP returns, something affects the payout besides time served.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zotix posted:

I just got 660xp on camp. Was a long match and as winners we won with only like 50 points remaining since we snatched a heavily fortified middle about 4 min from the end. I ended up going 36-12 which was probably my best k:d for a high scoring match to date. It was also the highest XP I've ever received by a long shot. I did shoot 3 horsies with balista which is probably one of the most satisfying things in the game.

Also I like the zweihander waaaaaay more than the executioner sword at this point. Yeah it's like 3 more points, but the fact you can actually stab with it makes up for it. Plus you can half sword with it which makes stabbing a ton better, and if you need to you can helicopter almost as well as the executioner.

Despite being a sword, the executioner is spiritually an axe and should be regarded as such when considering your tactical preferences. It's essentially the high-tier (in terms of point cost and size) war axe to the bardiche's battle axe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nordick posted:

I'm trying to use the Greatsword because it appeals to my sense of "Cool Big but Not Too Big Sword", but man I just can't make it work.

Get the Claymore skin, channel your inner Highlander and/or Rob Roy MacGregor, never let them take your freedom.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

No problem, I'm actually updating the OP as more cool poo poo gets discovered or shown. I gotta' add those other tutorial videos I saved...

This looks pretty comprehensive but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/08/mordhau-weapons-guide-full-weapon-stats-how-to-use-mordhaus-best-weapons/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Me and a few friends went at it for a while with training swords and 3/3/3 armor. That's a great way to learn honestly

I forget if it was you or someone else who said they went into a duel server with two training swords and threw one on the ground, and usually their opponent would be into it and then they'd just practice poo poo without even having to communicate? IT WORKS. I did this yesterday for about an hour and got better at chambering and riposting than I have the entire time playing since release. Training swords are such a good inclusion and not just for the dumb achievement.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Faffel posted:

They should just remove the friendly peek because it's a nearly free way to opt out of friendly fire on either side. Why? Why even have ff in that case.

Nah, just change Friendly so instead you do half damage to teammates and enemies, because you're just so gosh-darn friendly :buddy:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

Wait you guys can still play? I, and everyone I know, have been getting ridiculous packet loss since the last patch. Makes the game pretty much unplayable, and also seems to have turned it into a field day for 3/3/3 Executioner people. Just a human wave of guys walking forward, windmilling their big choppy swords, safe in the knowledge they're impossible to parry in such a herky-jerky environment.

I am that horrible packet loss/latency spike player, and I've mostly resigned myself to archery, engineering and gimmicks until it gets fixed. It will get fixed, right? :smith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I have a dumb question:

How many heavy leg options are in the game?

I have a vague memory of there being more than three just after launch but I only have access to three now. I dismissed it as a glitch or something, however I just read a bug report in the official forums of someone who just had the same thing happen to them. :confuoot:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shrinking the horsefield would be helpful too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Section Z posted:

Well, currently there are only three full plate legs. Six Rank 2 legs (Two of them are 'Like that other one, but with knee pads!' :v:), and three rank 1 legs. With six rank zero cloth shorts/pants.

I can understand legs having the least options because they have the least mechanical impact, but come oooooon.

Thanks and I agree, how can I play dolly dressup without a proper selection of shiny pants?? I can barely even make a decent Pontifical Swiss Guard with this selection.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

There should me a mutator that makes the game only punches and kicks but super exaggerated. I could do with some first person wushu fighting

Fist of the Mord Star sounds like the best mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I really hope they come out with a proper duel mode soon because currently every single server running regular deathmatch, to the very last, is all about dueling instead of playing that actual game mode.