Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Diephoon posted:

ayyyyyyyyy

Yeah as with any big launch, I'm just going to wait until like, tonight at least to let the servers stop being on fire.

But I really love this game. Now I'm debating whether to go perma-spriggan totems or warpath paladin for my season character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Got in and it’s all working ok for me on a new character, fingers crossed.

Also took a peek at my legacy Primalist and he still has Ice Thorns, a skill that no longer exists

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tarnop posted:

Maybe but then the art team were probably at work and not much they can do to help with server issues

Yeah it's an adjustment but definitely this. I vendored stuff at the first town just in case the vendor had movement speed boots but since then I've just been throwing everything I'm not using on the ground (uniques and idols notwithstanding). Most items vendor for less than the average pile of gold that drops

Also worth mentioning for those who haven't looked at it, the loot filter is VERY robust. It's in the settings menu. You can set it to filter for rarities and specific affixes and have the rules set so they trigger in a specific order. This allows you to get it to something like "only show me anything purple and above, unless it has these specific affixes that I'm looking for, but also never show me trash white items, and also never show me offhands because I'm using a two hander." You can really filter it down to only the poo poo you might actually care about. And then at any time you can hold down X to disable the loot filter, if you just want to fill up your inventory with whatever vendor trash might still be laying around right before you head back to town.

On a new character, I usually start with blue and above only after the first few levels, then once that gets my inventory too full, switch to gold and above unless it has something specific to my class, and then start getting more and more picky with it as I level up further.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hitting my first area that has significant differences from early access and I'm pretty impressed by it -- they did a good job making the surface areas in the ruined era and the cultists there creepier and more interesting.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Estel posted:

Used one of the referrals coded posted here, here is mine to get some bees Estel

I hit your code. Would be lovely if people would do mine: PapaNovember

Thanks!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Good Citizen posted:

Hadn’t played in like a year and wasn’t sure what new specialization to play so I went back to the bladedancer build that just dashes around dropping spinny shadow clones everywhere. drat that is still one of the best feeling arpg classes ever once you get the basic skills unlocked. I’ll probably keep playing it for a while again because it just feels great

I'm so glad that they didn't nerf the Spriggan Totem build. I keep expecting it to get destroyed in a patch because it's a pretty well known build style and also feels broken. But I think the devs here maybe understand that the fun of this game is coming up with some completely broken synergies. I was going to play one of the new classes but I just have too much fun with this thing. Maybe after I level it into monoliths.

One thing I want to flag for people leveling for the first time into the mid/end game -- don't neglect your resistances! Resistances are way more important here than in some other games. By the time you're doing the higher level monoliths, you want all your resistances capped. If you suddenly start getting one shotted by something that isn't a boss attack or huge AOE, it's likely because you have a weak resistance to that type.

Luckily, with the forge, the idols, and loot filtering, it's pretty easy to get resistances capped but you do have to pay attention to it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

People are giving negative reviews for the game they bought and can't play the way they want to a day after it came out, I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. Yeah there's definitely people who are 100% way too upset about this after a day who are talking out their rear end about lazy devs or whatever but warning potential buyers that the multiplayer of this game is currently nonfunctional with a thumbs down is sort of the reason you have steam reviews. It'll even out over time once they sort the backend server poo poo out.

I feel like Steam reviews should be more for whether the game is good or not substantively. A steam review saying "servers were down on release day F YOU DEVS refunding thumbs down" is useless a month from now unless they are still having server issues and won't reflect the game at that point at all. And nobody who leaves that kind of review is going to go back and edit it later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tiny Timbs posted:

Protip: If you're like me and keep losing the mouse cursor in the screen you can use YoloMouse to make it bigger

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283970/YoloMouse/

Holy poo poo, thank you. Most of the time I don't have much trouble, but on some of the desert maps it's super easy to have the cursor blend into the background when a bunch of poo poo is popping off

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I don't really mind the campaign here since it doesn't feel that different from the monoliths anyway. Almost all of the objectives are just "kill your way to the next zone" or "kill your way to the boss." It's not like it has you out there collecting 20 bear pelts.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Clarste posted:

The main problem is it has a lot of loading screens and loading screens are a pain point with the server issues. Monoliths magically have no loading screens and are perfect forever.

That part definitely does suck right now, yeah.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

VanillaGorilla posted:

I also agree that respecing is very clunky right now, as I’m retooling from my leveling to my endgame build.

Is there really no “just respec all my passives” button?

Do we really need the deep penalty for skill respecialization?

Skill penalty isn't really much at higher levels. I respecced a skill out for a new one on my legacy character and had the new skill at max level in like two monoliths.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Syrinxx posted:

I'm trying to follow this maxroll shaman totem build but I'm not sure I understand. It's a shitload of button presses just to clear trash. Summon crows, summon 3 totems which only last a few seconds, switch to spriggarn, push a few more things, maybe summon a healing totem?

Is there a better shaman build that's more straightforward and I can just blast through poo poo on the screen without endlessly summoning poo poo that either dies or does underwhelming damage?

edit: There is an upgrade to spriggarn form that makes the healing totems shoot thorns. Now it makes a little more sense, will continue with this guide for a bit

Yeah, you eventually get to the point where you're spamming healing/thorn totems three at a time with like nine total, and spamming them is a rage positive due to Memories of Eterra in the thorn tree, so you never have to drop Spriggan form. It doesn't click until you get all those pieces in place, but once it does it is one of my favorite builds. It melts everything and it's very durable unless you just stand in a big boss attack or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Erulisse posted:

Is it really impossible to change 'mastery'?

It is, sadly. One of the things I wish they'd change since the build to getting your mastery is the most boring part of the game.

I said I don't mind replaying the campaign but if they don't want to allow respeccing mastery, it would be nice if they allowed a jump to getting your mastery and having 20 points available in your main skill for people who have already advanced a character of that class that far

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

You gotta learn the mechanics, I'm afraid. It's the first - and only - fight where you have to

Well that one and the monolith boss that does that weird pie chart attack

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One thing I really do love about this game is as far as I can tell, the developers don't seem to mind overpowered builds. Which makes sense since there is no PVP anyway. At least I haven't seen much in the way of nerfs of godmode level build poo poo. Which I enjoy, I don't play ARPGs for a heavy challenge, I want to turn off my brain and kill hordes of poo poo and get the good brain chemicals from loot dropping.

Like, by the time I get any respectable build idea to empowered monolith level, the only real question is "Can this enemy attack one shot me?" and if the answer is no, I'm melting the screen

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

The basic loot filter I set up for all my new characters is:

1. A rule to show all Set/Exalted/Uniques
2. Any number of rules to hide base item types I don't want
3. A rule to show one or more affixes I want for my character
4. A rule to hide all affixes
5. A rule to hide all whites

That way getting rid of an item or increasing the number of affixes I want is one rule change in one place, and I pare down both as I level before setting up a 'real' loot filter when I get to the End with individual rules for each item slot to target upgrades.

My general midgame is:

1. Show all Set/Unique
2. Hide all White/Blue
3. Show affixes I want
4. Hide all Idols
5. Hide all White/Blue/Yellow

That ends up showing all sets, uniques, and purples, and then also any yellows and idols that have specific affixes I want. Sometimes I add in additional hide rules for item tyoes (like offhands if I'm using a two handed weapon), but usually not since everything is going to have an affix I can about and so I can at least crush it in the forge for shards. But yeah, like you I can pretty much change what I'm targeting just by updating the affixes rule.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gyoru posted:

Allie's loot filter is very good for the amount of exalts you get in CoF.

https://www.lastepochtools.com/loot-filters/view/0AKZbXob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RGTF4n5cQ

This is pretty good, once I get to the point where I'm getting flooded with purps in CoF I'll probably use it. Thanks for posting it!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Suburban Dad posted:

Holy cow the crafting and itemization in this game are so good. Blizzard should be straight up embarrassed with what D4 is in comparison.

It feels like what I hoped D4 would be, and what I've been missing ever since Marvel Heroes went under.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Noper Q posted:

Just flavor now. Previous to 1.0, the choice determined which monolith you unlocked next, but you just get both now.

And huge props to the devs for that, doing some of the pre-exalted monoliths twice each character in EA was a real drag.

Now you'll see something like "Go back and make a different choice" pop in your quest log but then it immediately resolves and just gives you both next node monoliths.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tonetta posted:

I'm pretty impressed with the prophecy system and just how much it'll poo poo out at later ranks. really looking forward to hitting rank 10 for the duplicated prophecy rewards to see how crazy it can get, but it's gonna take forever to get there. even at 500 corruption & chasing tomes of experience, it's been slow

It's really cool, making a "no trade" option very rewarding beyond just bragging rights is something I haven't seen often. Doing it as both a global upgrade to drops and being able to focus in on something like "I'm hunting for a good ring drop, and I want to avoid dungeon quests" is really sweet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Levelled up a Falconer to normal Monoliths so far, and yeah, that class is pretty drat good. So fast at clearing.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

So this isn’t news, but healing hands isn’t fair or balanced at all. Even without the busted ward nodes, simply doubling your melee attacks for free is ridiculous. I’ve been leveling with a double slash rive holy aura flame burst build and everything but bosses just explodes instantly. It’s still early, but I also rip through bosses fast while being able to just stand in the middle of their bullshit without paying any attention to gear or defenses and never dropping below max health for more than a fraction of a second. I’m sort of shocked they just unconditionally let it proc on every melee attack.

This may be the next thing I level if I get bored of the bird, something ultra tanky sounds fun.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zereth posted:

What's the basics of leveling falconer? There's some stuff that scales off of throwing in the faclon's tree, and the 5 point skill is a throwing one, should I swap from bow stuff to throwing stuff? And if so what kind of weapon should I use? Or do I want to dual wield so it's weapons, plural?

Here is a super in-depth build guide for a very powerful setup: https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/allie---1-button-shadow-dagger-falconer

Obviously, you don't have to follow it precisely, but it should at least give you some good ideas. And if you do want to follow it exactly, the level of detail she put into this is insane.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordja posted:

Is there any info at all as to when they'll be adding the last three chapters? I've been putting off buying the game for that.

I would suspect it would be in later seasons (or "cycles" or whatever they are calling it). But I wouldn't say you have to hold off for that; the campaign story is kind of nonsense anyway and you can play infinite maps forever in the Monolith.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

alarumklok posted:

playing storm bolt tornado shaman and it's incredibly OP and also incredibly boring. It turns each of your tornadoes into a storm totem, except the bolts scale off of the other storm bolt nodes so they have a bigger aoe and doublecast, shoot 1.5 screens away, refresh leap's cooldown, and shock, and you can have out like 20 tornadoes at once easy. The 'survive waves' levels I just hold the tornado button down in the middle until it tells me I beat the echo

Could you link a build guide for this, if you followed one? I have a high level shaman I could respec pretty easily into this and I'd like to check it out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

alarumklok posted:

I did not follow one

It’s basically just all of the storm bolt nodes in gathering storm, tornado (with duration and cast speed), leap, and in wolves (x3). Lean fairly harder than normal into attunement and mana regen. Skip the mana drain on hit in passive in gathering storm unless you have mad regen, it’s a trap

Edit: oh and get some on hit effects. Even if you aren’t specced for it you can easily get huge stacks on bosses which adds up

Thanks for the info!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fknlo posted:

So they nerfed selling arena keys for gold too? I hadn't really done that yet, but making gold for stash tabs isn't exactly great, especially on a warlock where you're way ahead of where the gold is dropping.

I have like 800,000 gold and no idea where it came from. I've never sold a single key and I have like 10 stash tabs. All I've done is level up two characters and run monoliths. Gold just piles up after awhile from normal play in my experience.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tonetta posted:

if you simply just don't pick up poo poo to sell, you can clear like 50% faster and earn like 48% more gold in doing so

Yeah I figured out that at least by the time I'm doing monoliths, I'm better off having a really tight loot filter and leaving behind basically anything I don't want to shatter, stash, or wear. The time spent screwing around with vendoring stuff ends up being a loss once I'm speeding through maps

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Some interesting stuff in there, a few snippets for those that don't wanna click through to Reddit:

quote:

Selling items to vendors for gold is not an intended gameplay loop, and we actively discourage it by having items generally sell for very little gold and instead make enemies drop it more. This is already very apparent relatively early in the campaign.

We should've already reduced the price of keys prior to Item Factions, but we missed it.

quote:

Another thing we missed, was the cost of stash tabs. With the introduction of Cycles they do not need to cost as much anymore, and even without this powerful new gold farming method provided by Prophecies it should've been reduced.

quote:

Stash tabs are too expensive and as already mentioned, they will be going down. 25% was the current number we had in mind when originally I posted, but that's already going up to atleast 50% if not more. There might be other adjustments too, like having the first 10, 20 or some other number be much more cheaper than the next ones instead of always having the same cost increase. We don't need to increase gold gain globally as a result of these changes, though I'd like for gold Echo reward to scale a bit more aggressively with Corruption compared to the current values.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

I get the frustration with the loot filter. It's a powerful tool that is needed early on in the game, but requires knowledge from way later to be useful. At this point I could look at a leveling build and what I'd eventually spec into and make a loot filter that accounted for different stages easily enough. I couldn't do that when loot became overwhelming on like day three of release. The probably would have been day one of release if the servers hadn't fallen over.

Honestly, I've really never found it that hard, even without looking at anyone else's loot filters. Yeah, you're not going to have a perfect endgame "here's exactly what I need" filter as you level if you don't think it out ahead of time or copy something. But even as a brand new player in early access, it was easy enough for me to gradually build my own loot filter that worked fine. It basically went "okay, I don't want to see white poo poo anymore, hide that." "Okay, now I only want gold or above unless it has these couple of affixes or resistances I want." "Okay, I'm getting too much rare poo poo show, so now only show purple, sets, and uniques, unless it has these few specific affixes/resistances I want." It's not going to be perfect, but the affixes for most builds aren't exactly rocket science and it wasn't that hard to be like "okay I'm playing a minion build, give me everything to do with minions, give me the five necro skills I'm using, and my void resistance is poo poo so give me anything with that." Or something similar for other classes; I always at least had a handle on what skills I planned to use, what damage types I was looking for, and what I needed in terms of resistances, and then that additional poo poo like extra armor or health were always good.

I dunno, maybe my brain just works in a loot filter-y way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

I started a sentinel paladin that casts healing hands in rive hit. This is good.

I have no idea what stats scale anything now tho

Melee ? Atunement ? Fire ? Spell ??

(Obviously healing effectiveness )

Yup, healing effectiveness, fire, spell or melee depending on whether you have the last node on the bottom right of the healing hands tree, some attunement

Here's a nice video by a guy who has been working on that build and it has a linked build planner in the "more info" part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2SHPBAcMgE

I wouldn't say his video/build is something you have to follow exactly, but there's some good info in there.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 8, 2024

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

I was levelling a falconer with shadowblades and it was awesome, then I unlocked Aerial Assault and I don't really like my movement skill and my primary attack skill being the same. How low does that cooldown get as you progress through endgame?

It gets better, you can stack cooldown reduction on boots, belt, and opal rings also have it as an innate. You can get it pretty low, but I think there's always going to be some cooldown on it. I usually either run a few steps back before jumping again or toss in a dive bomb if anything is still alive after the first one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've been levelling the healing hands/rive Paladin and it's pretty hilarious to just stand in every boss's special attacks and not care. I know some of the ward generation is up to be nerfed but I still think this build will be pretty strong. I'm not into empowered monos yet, though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

Another thing about levelling falconer that I'm not sure is intended: my bird is a psycho? No amount of spilled blood will slake his thirst for violence?

oh this is absolutely intended

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I agree that it’s kind of silly to lock the dungeons behind keys but if it makes you feel any better, you’ll end up with an absolute shitload of them just through normal play. Like, a ridiculous amount. I have a whole stash tab full of keys.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

Testing it Judgement can keep up fervor indefinitely and its damage scales similar healing hands . But you don't get the increased damage taken debuff. Which is probably enormous.

But !! It’s much more theme appropriate and fits the class fantasy

Here is the "why Volatile Reversal is the best skill in Last Epoch" video that convinced me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfAgWXvpXCU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Been playing this new Runemaster build that Allie put out and it's pretty great, once you get it up to a level where the build actually works, but my favorite part of playing a Runemaster (or really any mage) for the first time may be: "Fools. Fools!"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Just Another Lurker posted:

Is that the same Allie that got banned from Twitch last year for stealing other players gear?

No idea, I only know of her from a couple of very detailed build guides she's put out for this game

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Awesome! posted:

i got to empowered monoliths on my warlock with some dogshit gear and was getting absolutely slapped. dying to everything making zero progress. so i said gently caress it ill try changing to low life now instead of later when i have better stuff. swapping in the required uniques dropped my capped crit avoidance to ~60% and i lost some resistances but i basically doubled my "hp pool" and now im cruising. absolute night and day difference.

i kept seeing "be crit avoidance capped before going into empowered monoliths" so i think i was prioritizing that too much over just slamming hp in affix slots.

Yeah, you really need a decently big EHP base to avoid eating one-shots in empowered monos, regardless of armor/resists/crit avoid. Figuring that out and prioritizing it made a big difference.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, made it to Monoliths with my first character (Spellblade) at around level... 60something? My skills are all at 17 at the moment. Ran a few 'islands' inside the first monolith, called it a night.

I know there's still a bunch to go, but not 100% sure I'm feeling Spellblade, so thought I'd try out some other classes while I kill time for next PoE league :v:

If I'm understanding this correctly, any alt I make will be able to run monoliths as soon as I get to the end of time, right? I'd be completely under-levelled and under-geared, In order to alleviate this I can just craft some twink gear on my main? Also, those 'dungeon skips' in the campaign require my alt to use a key I've collected previously to run through the dungeon and come out the other side, or once I run a dungeon in any character on a given cycle that shortcut 'stays open'?

Here's a really good video which explains the different "campaign skips" you can do, and how to make sure you get all your passive points and idol slots. Also has some other powerleveling advice at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGSLYU98GjM

(it's a longer video but he explains the campaign skips in the first 8-10 minutes)

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

99pct of germs posted:

So I think I've poisoned my future expectations for other classes.

I haven't finished the main campaign yet and haven't done any monoliths or end game stuff. No idea how my build will work out there, but compared to the Beastmaster and Forgeguard I limped to level 30 each, this has been unreal in terms of map clearing and boss killing. I just blow through everything while spamming bone curse.

Also I really know nothing about the overall meta but are mages unpopular? I've noticed in towns especially as I have gotten further into the game 90% of what I see are rogues and sentinels.

Rogues and sentinels are kind of flavor of the month right now since Falconer is a new class and Paladin just got a Healing Hands tree and both are pretty strong.

There are plenty of strong mage builds. In fact, right now I'd say my strongest character is my Runemaster, although I'm still leveling up a Wraithlord Necro to check that out since I have all the stuff for it already.