Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sup dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

Our cholesterol looking at all these drat pizzas is whats up.

But in all seriousness, I've been trying to get healthier and today I found my old army uniform. 16 years after I took it off and weee! I fit! Granted a bit of overflow but no sucking my gut in to do the buttons up.

Hell yeah

I got a new job that doesn’t have free soda and accidentally lost 30lbs lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Yep and daycare costs will soon overtake my mortgage by about a grand per month. I'm from rural Ohio, everything is relatively more expensive, heh.

A2 prices are insane for what you get, not sure what you're on about. A lovely tiny house there is 300k. It's all relative to your salary I guess. We were just looking in a decent burb, and not one of the uppity ones either. Oh well, first world problems.

what in the heck, you can get a decent house in bougie rear end Troy for like 250k

I forget if youre in the north, west, or eastern suburbs so ymmv but it is relatively cheap

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Modus Man posted:

That reminds me, just 3 more weeks of paying for preschool and daycare, then my youngest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I’m so excited to take all this money I’m going to be saving and... putting it towards college savings :cry:

A lot of people don’t understand that while our houses are cheap compared to other parts of the country, our salaries are also smaller (and our car insurance is ludicrous!) It’s all relative. There’s a bunch of new subdivisions going up in South Lyon and other areas near A2 and the starting prices are “low $400’s”. I don’t know anyone that can afford that around here other thank DINK’s.

My favourite part is how they keep building these McMansions that start in the mid 300’s to 400s when the houses that are in the highest demand start in the high 100’s to mid 200’s

Builders are out of touch but are also going to help pop the housing bubble when they eventually have to either sell the houses at a loss or tear them down lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

That's not the way it works, though. The builders are making tons of cash and sell what they build. There's no profit in low-dollar houses. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

Right but if they’re building the house they’re selling for 400k for 250-300k and the bubble bursts and suddenly their houses are only worth 225-250k what are their options? They’ve built a heap of houses that haven’t sold yet because nobody wants a 400k house rn, especially when the bubble is so obvious and ford/gm keep laying people off

I bought my house for 215k and the mortgage company just told me it’s worth 285k two years later. During the recession it looks like it sold for 175k.

I would imagine that something similar would happen but idk

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tremek posted:

Damnit weather, outta my way. Started the day dropping my wife off at LAX so she could rescue our friends watching our kids for the weekend - and then I drove.

Welp. Went south to avoid the storms that were definitely going to hit Colorado’s Rockies, but the storm itself is currently dumping snow in Denver and north of Albuquerque right now, so I’m calling it for the night. AWD yes, but on 305/25/20 summer tires is asking for a bad time once the temps continue to fall.

Plus I’m fried. Finding a hotel.

i never thought i would want anything to do with mercedes until this post

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

:v::hf::v:

Yeah, low 400's (even 300's, lol) ain't happening for us and we both make decent money (for the area I guess). Kids are a financial drain.

Yes, it's no surprise more people want to live in not Michigan and housing prices are higher there in those cities. That's kind of my point though, why the gently caress is it as expensive to live/afford a house as it is in Michigan? Who wants to live here and is driving everything up? I don't see how every other person seemingly can afford these silly McMansions when we're doing decent but in no way can do that. Maybe everybody else is drowning in debt.

a shitload of STEMLords have caused RO/Ferndale/South Oakland + dt Detroit to skyrocket + gentrify

then add rurals fleeing the michigan wastelands and bam thats why a 900sqft house in RO is suddenly 100k more than it was last year

Tremek posted:

Cough, those who live in VANOS xDrive houses, etc etc.

There are many good Mercedes! This is now my third, they can be very good.

is yours a 2018 e63 AMG with the alpha tune? I'm looking for a new car soon but i wanna know if I'm going to need to double/triple my savings time :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KillHour posted:

But if I can't have nice cars, why am I working? :confused:

because u are being exploited by the bourgeoisie

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tremek posted:

Made it home in spite of being that rear end in a top hat on the roads in a snowstorm with ~*~my AWD car~*~ on summer tires.

It's filthy. I think the total trip was like 1350 miles. I may not drive it for a month.

That's a lie

Here I was planning on buying an STI or something simple and fun and then you come along AND LITERALLY FORCE ME TO INVESTIGATE HOW QUICKLY I CAN SAVE A PROBABLY UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY IN ORDER TO PURCHASE A COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE YET PERFECT VEHICLE INSTEAD YOU SON OF A BITCH

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Good news I didn’t realise a 5 year old wagon could still be that expensive so I’ll just lust after yours instead

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's had over 60k in MODS and we all know the mod rules don't apply to German cars because......I have no idea.

oh jesus yeah i just found a different 2014 for 59k but still

my brother does a lot with mercedes and bmw and he reminded me that the maintenance costs are insane so :rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

That's the old one, the new one is even better looking.

And the US is getting it! in 25 years when it becomes legal to import.

Isn’t there a path to getting LHD cars imported into the country if they’re the same model as available here without having to crash test 10 of them?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Like he said, in 25 years. There is no legal way to get a Focus ST wagon here in USA, we never got a Focus wagon let alone an ST here so you would have to federalize it.

rip

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

honestly i swore im not going to buy an american car until they get their poo poo together

so far none of the non-big three have needed to do any layoffs so gently caress them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

They never do layoffs.

They close entire plants as redundant after ending production on lines of vehicles.

On the white collar end they lay dudes off every year

Ford is laying off 7k worldwide lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Absolutely untrue. This year has been rough but there haven't been regular layoffs since 2009.

Sucks for those guys. I had some friends let go recently and it's never fun seeing that happen.

thats because they lay off the contract white collar guys first

there were contract layoffs in 2016, 2018, and 2019

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

T-Square posted:

But is that really a layoff, or just not renewing contracts

considering they contract a shitload of stuff out so that they dont make the news when they axe poo poo, i think its corporate hair splitting :shrug:

Geoj posted:

Kind of irritated they went with British accents though.

to be fair, if you learn english in europe you're probably going to learn it from a british person and have a bit of a british accent

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

How well does that work? Can you use google maps with it or is it locked to apple maps?

you can use google maps + whatever other apps have CarPlay enabled things

i get to work on the AndroidAuto functionality for my app soon :mrgw:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

speaking of austin me and my brother in law are trying to convince our wives to move to austin because we're sick of michigan lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Thats why you go and camp literally 100km away from any other fucker on earth with your friends who know how to camp.

God drat

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i require more pictures of your fartcat posthaste

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

shy boy from chess club posted:

K but you'll have to look at my pasty leg too tho

:3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i drove from detroit to myrtle beach in a day once then i did detroit to tampa in a day as well

myrtle beach had better mountain views on the way than tampa did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Took the family to the new Aladdin movie. I enjoyed it. Kids enjoyed it. Baby (2yo) like the first 45 minutes and then was all done. I hung out with him for a while then my wife took him. It was our first time trying a theater show with him. He sits through them at home. Maybe because it wasn’t animated.

Kinda sucks that it’s nearly $50 in tickets for a matinee movie. Further cements me in enjoying my home theatre/projector more. Redbox a Blu-ray for $2 is a much better experience or buying the movie outright at $20.

You can go to the desk and ask for your money back if you have to leave in the middle of it. I’ve never gotten beef when I’ve done it