Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What kind of show is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Farrier Theaks posted:

What kinds of kind do you mean?

1. Is it the good kinds?
2. Is it mostly only interesting if you're interested in the history of chernobyl
3. Is Jared as cool as he always is?

Like, what's it about. Is it just dread and people dying badly or is there more to it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The flavor is not a bug, it's a feature

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
So I watched the first two eps and this is really good so far

Makes me want to see a disaster series done in a quality way like this but on a bigger scale. Like "what if Chernobyl, except the world as we know it is really coming to an end this time so we gotta deal with it all"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Can't we just nuke Chernobyl?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've tasted plenty of blood and plenty of metal. Yet I've never tasted radiation...

the forbidden fruit...

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
"Following orders issued by Soviet authorities to mark the end of cleanup operations on the roof of the No. 3 reactor, three men were requested to post a red flag atop the chimney overlooking the destroyed reactor, reached by climbing 78 meters up a spiral staircase. The flag bearers were sent despite the dangers posed by heavy radiation, and after a group of liquidators had already made two failed attempts by helicopter. The radiation expert Alexander Yourtchenko carried the pole, followed by Valéri Starodoumov with the flag, and Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Sotnikov with the radio. The whole operation was timed to last only 9 minutes, given the high radiation levels. At the end, the trio were rewarded with a bottle of Pepsi (a luxury in 1986) and a day off."

:ussr:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How about a 5 part series about the 3 large cities america annihilated in japan, 2 of which were nuked

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
She is an avatar of the people she represented. They couldn't fit all of them in there but they wanted them represented. It was a good choice

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Anne Whateley posted:

Her character wasn't any more "I figured this all out myself!!!" than Legasov's.

Yeah but she's a woman so it's unrealistic that she is capable of Thing (because women) you moron, you absolute buffoon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is a 100% chance that none of these people would have complained if it was just some competent dude

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How is "notices a thing on a schematic" totally super unrealistic for a nuclear scientist?

Or "is upset about safety protocols in a hospital"

How is any of that in ANY WAY totally unrealistic or absurd for the character

Even in the scene where she is discussing the schematics with Legaslov he was aware of most of what she was going to say except the very last detail, so he also had the apparent superpower of "can read schematics"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Bip Roberts posted:

... and is a woman!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

TigerXtrm posted:

What this man said, but times ten.

Condensing dozens of scientists down to a single character is a narrative decision, and was actually communicated to you, you dense bricks.

*in incredibly infantile baby voice*
But women scientists, though??

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Anne Whateley posted:

I know it was a narrative decision. I think it was a bad narrative decision.

Not because she's a woman or because she's too smart or whatever bullshit, but because it makes the narrative look like Chernobyl is way less important and way more covered up than it was, and because I think it would have been a more appropriate theme to show a shitload of scientists convening to share information and use, like, actual scientific methods to reach decisions. I don't even want more individual named scientists or speaking roles, she could speak for them completely, I just want a ton of nerds getting off buses and meeting each other and squabbling in the background.

There are idiots who object because she's a woman, or because since she's a woman the character is faulty while Legasov's isn't. That is bullshit. That isn't the only possible objection.

A lot of stuff was left out of the show. It did not cover everything, far from it. Many things were twisted or changed to fit the narrative.

Why is this -woman- character the only aspect of the show a bunch dudes are whining about? It's such a strange whine to the rest of us taht we can only assume there's mental baggage behind it

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm a woman in a STEM job, would you like to try again?

So am I. Check mate

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Kraftwerk posted:

I was just thinking the same thing.
By the way what is fringe? Is it worth watching first over Terror? I need my Jared fix.

Fringe is a mediocre sci-fi TV series that is only watchable because of the nutty professor.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Sentient AI and eternal fusion energy is just around the corner (not in our lifetime)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
wake up sheep

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All of russian history is totally fascinating and brutal as poo poo and would make for good TV

Why not a band of brothers series, but from the russian point of view? The biggest battles took place on the eastern front and that's where Nazi Germany was annihilated and defeated. Give me a series about that

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

spankmeister posted:

There's a bunch of Russian war movies.

The one about Brest-Litovsk is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQGr-ogfKN8

Of course, it's very Russian in it's depiction of the heroic acts of the soldiers of the Motherland.

Screw that

Give me Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgård playing russian officers or something just as the Nazis turn on Russia

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Less American stuff please

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

an american one but everyone is still british actors.

A series in 8 parts of how America was founded with only british actors playing the americans and americans playing the british

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do they think transpeople are so god drat scary that in their mind it's on the level of nuclear meltdowns and dictatorships

How deep does their brainrot go

Who gives a poo poo what gender someone wants to be how the gently caress does that affect you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Could this be radiation ghosts?