Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Oh God, I used to stream this game on Twitch (to an audience of like 3 people), those videos are so painfully bad.

Still, I call for hard mode. Start in March of 1848, and spend all your starting money on useless poo poo like furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Skip the packages and buy your own supplies. Then spend 12 hours trading with people in town until you have ten times your original starting cash. Then spend it all on grandfather clocks.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course the game has to work perfectly the day I get it, then decide to stop loading save files when I actually try to do the LP....

Gimme a bit folks.

For best results, I recommend running it in a Windows 98 virtual machine, anything else always gave me problems out the rear end.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I never did figure out during my playthroughs of this game if there's an actual benefit to carrying a variety of food vs. nothing but bacon and beans. The game suggests that a great variety of food increases morale, but it never seemed to be a significant increase. And spices don't seem to matter a dammn but (outside of salt to cure my mighty hauls of buffalo and bear meat).

And don't get met started on medicine. At least half of it seems completely worthless.

Does fishing work in your version? It's the one thing that's never worked right for me on any modern computer.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

You get warnings if you have no fruit or vegetables, so along with poor morale I believe you also run the risk of scurvy if you go too long without Vitamin C. In real life it takes about a month to see the symptoms.

And yeah, fishing is broken in my version. I might try to fix it but all the fish are totally frozen and refuse to move to the bait. Hope nobody wanted salmon.

I'mm about 30% sure that beans count as vegetables, though you make a good point that the bacon and beans diet would also need some fruit.

It's a shame about fishing, because I remember playing this back in the day fishing was actually a really good way to supplement the foods stores.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a cold, foggy trip. As far as I can tell there's absolutely no benefit to slowing down or stopping in fog or dust. It just slows you down for no reason.

Best I've ever been able to tell, fog and dust increase the chance of certain accidents happening while you travel.

As for the Donner party, it's actually possible in OT2 to run into that same snowstorm in that same location and get an automatic special game over from it. This game goes out of its way to prevent you from doing that.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

You need some caulk in that there wagon son!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

While it's possible to take the wrong trail here, it seems a bit obvious which way we're going.

So many times I've accidentally gone the wrong way there when I wasn't paying attention.

You should *get advice* about cholera, you haven't been showing off the silly costumes enough. Bonus points if you record some of their voice acting.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

One 4 oz. bottle.

This is something that's always bugged me: every unit of medicine is always used a bottle at a time. Laudanum dosage is measured in drops, a 4 oz bottle would probably kill you. Similarly using an entire pint of alcohol to disinfect wounds.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

See who's around to get advice from, then dump all the food to lighten the wagon, then lock the wheels and move along.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Vavrek posted:

We need coffee and laudanum, obviously. More specifically, what are our supplies like right now? We lost some stuff and it's been six weeks.

I second this, we need an inventory check. Then you need to dump everything except for a rifle, bullets, and gunpowder (and grandfather clocks), we can totally live off the land from here.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Whup, missed a page there. Double-team that load.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Choosing to celebrate doesn't seem to do anything except play a sound clip of everyone whooping and firing guns into the air.

It's a free one-time morale boost, which you didn't particularly need anyway.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

If the river's too shallow, you'll fall over while floating it. If it's too deep, you'll flood the wagon trying to ford it. And three feet seems to be the sweet spot where both of those things have the highest odds. So I say FORD that son of a bitch and let the chips fall where they may.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Went and consulted the in-game Hitchhiker's Guide to The American West to doublecheck some details. Apparently fording should always work on rivers 3.5 feet or shallower, and caulking should be used if it's any deeper. 3 feet is definitely the sweet spot where you'll have the most trouble, but I hadn't realized that the game actually takes the weight of your supplies into account, heavier wagons are more likely to get swamped or fall.

That same rule applies to hills too, but there's no rule of thumb on what method to use on what kinds of hills. So I say double-team the animals and hope for the best.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Fun fact: You literally cannot pull a Donner party in this game. Unlike OT2, where leaving at the same time as the Dennor Party and getting here in winter had a special game over, the game actually prevents you from traveling if you try to leave too late, forcing you to spend the winter in Winter Quarters way back near Independence.

Still, stick to the trail anyway..

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Edible plants are going to be few and far between form here on out, better get whatever vegetables they have.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead! We'll sacrifice the kid to get over the mountain okay!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

This is one of those places where you want to look at your map. While I could be mean, I'll let you know that the path to Truckee Meadows is literally just going backwards.

The numerous places this happens bug the hell out of me. There's already a button in the menu to turn around that you can use any time, they didn't need to make trail options that do it too.

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's our inventory if you want to buy anything:

Buy more bullets and gunpowder, then wipe out every living thing west of the mountains.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

You can get scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) and beriberi (vitamin B1 deficiency), but I've never been clear if the game tracks specific food items and their nutritional value, or if it's just "fruits prevent scurvy, veggies prevent beriberi". I suspect the latter.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I once did a playthrough administering vinegar every time somebody had a cold. It worked surprisingly well.

In this case though, just walk it off.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Pretty sure ice baths are the cure for pneumonia.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I second the call to apply alcohol!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I think there was something important back a ways. Go back through Deep Sand.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Get advice, then go say hello.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Of course, it's very possible that these strangers might be Spanish speakers, and I don't think Chitoryu took the Spanish skill.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

If you read back, you'll note that this trail seems very different. The exact path of the Oregon Trail changed over the years, not accounting for settlements and forts that opened and closed/got abandoned along the way. Traveling to ostensibly the same place in 1840 and 1850 are both radically different journeys.

Any ideas on why this is? Did people find new routes along the way that were easier to manage, did the terrain shift over time?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Noticed in the screenshot for Echo Canyon that it said we had no fruit or vegetables, so stopping and resting might not be a very good idea. Thus if possible see who is around to trade for that stuff.

I second this, and request a listing of our current food stocks.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Take them all

Why the hell do we have 200 pounds of biscuits and 500 pounds of corn meal, but we're so low on essentials?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Does time pass when you "See who, around" and then "Look for someone else"? Can you spend years waiting for Mr. Right?

No time passes, but there's only ever two or three people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Lighten the load ,all that cornmeal is weighing us down.