Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
for the first time in 11 years i preordered a ticket for the midnight premiere, thats how hype i am for Jan Wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, this is the first Wick movie where body armor is coming up at all, and it seems to be handled semi-realistically from the trailers (the body armor is penetrable, Wick just has to get in close and use more rounds than usual).

his jacket in the second one is armored, theres a gag where he uses it as a shield

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

Just wrapped up over here too. The action is superb and it’s been amazing to see Stahelski perfectly handle the gradual increase in budget over the course of the series, but I agree with the notion that the plot just treads water and the movie basically ends in the same place it began.

Also really feels like an asspull that both John and the Bowery King survived what they both went through.

Here's my take

stahelski said early in production that this movie was going to be about a class war between the Bowery and the servants of the high table. with that in mind, this movie feels like they realized they hadn't done quite enough to get the plot to that point and needed to do just a little bit more, given how the end pretty clearly sets that up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which is strange, because I came out of it with a raging hard-on.

This film owns, whomever does all of the choreography for these films should be rich as hell. I don't get how they keep things so fresh and interesting after 3 films. I was afraid I was going to get bored but it was the exact opposite and when it ended I couldn't believe 2 hours flew by so fast. Keanu's definitely slowing a bit down but he's still doing impressive physical stuff.

Just about.

About two. The first two take place over roughly a week, and then this one is about a week from start to finish.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Origami Dali posted:

That fight in the antique shop was one of the best fighting action scenes I've ever seen. Also, I too noticed Keanu getting slow in the fight w the Raid dudes. There was one moment where he was super slowly open palm slapping them that felt like a goofy outtake.

the slowing down stuff I think was intentional. these movies have happened over the span of roughly two weeks, total. he's spent most of that time being punched kicked stabbed shot strangled hit with cars whatever, dude is feeling those two weeks and you're not going to be doing all the cool poo poo all the time if you're just that fuckin beat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

The movie was fun but it felt like a lot of scene setting for the "real" confrontation of Baba Yaga and the Bowery flipping over The High Table.

And maybe the next movie will justify it but I don't really understand the filmmakers thought an entire movie of preparation was necessary.

I really think they wanted to do the next movie as this movie and realized they didn't do quite enough set up, and rather than cram it all into one movie they just made this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

but the total and complete lack of characterization on Dredd’s part made it really hard to pay attention.

this is literally the point of the character, he is the law personified, he has no life he has no interests, he does the job and nothing else. theres a reason one of the two main characters takes their helmet off basically instantly: its because she's the one you're supposed to identify with and sympathize for and who has an actual arc over the course of the movie

Gatts posted:

Don't come at him like a superhero that has 40 odd years of stories and character development with regular tropes.

i smash the door down and shout actually dredd has had a tremendous amount of character growth but you have to be a psycho who's read 500+ issues to see it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand Dredd is a faceless adjudicator, I just prefer movies that have human characters.

The other protagonist is the human character. The entire rest of the cast, in the comics and here, exists as a human counterpart to Dredd.

poo poo the movie even deviates slightly to imply to Dredd is just a violent psycho with rage issues, held in check only by his devotion to The Law

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Dredd is an incredibly funny movie, its just the blackest comedy you've ever seen in your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly JW2 suffers from this as well, I was surprised on rewatch by how easily I skipped the 15-20 minutes of Laurence Fishburne and the Bowery and it added basically sweet gently caress all to the plot.

Except now it's actually important, almost like these movies set things up early