Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

crossposting

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I painted up Summer from the Song of Ice and Fire minis game. I don't have much experience at all with painting fur, but I think it came out ok for a second or third time doing it. The sculpt helped out by being well defined in most areas, and taking washes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Want to pet that doggo.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Got a game in with the updated Lannister cards, they felt pretty good. My list was:

Faction: House Lannister
Commander: Jaime Lannister – The Kingslayer

Combat Units:
• Lannister Guardsmen (5)
with Jaime Lannister – The Kingslayer (0)
• House Clegane Mountain Men (6)
with Gregor Clegane – Lord Tywin’s Mad Dog (3)
• Lannister Guardsmen (5)
• Lannister Crossbowmen (6)
• Knights of Casterly Rock (8)

Non-Combat Units:
• Pycelle – Grand Maester (3)
• Tywin Lannister – The Great Lion (4)

We played Feast for Crows, which is probably a bad scenario for that Gregor package, and I played it too conservatively, but it did project pretty serious threat. Passed a couple charge morale tests that I would have liked to fail, but when they did finally get in they hit very hard. Jaime didn't get to do a whole lot, I think perhaps he needs to be in something other than Guards. Still, I got a couple +1's to defense rolls, so he is vastly improved from his old version! Tywin ALMOST saved a unit of Crossbows from a Giant, but I decided that they were better off just dying than risking being worth another VP with a failed morale test.

Pretty positive overall, didn't much care for the list but the changes felt good.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 3, 2019

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting some Tullys.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yesterday was my one year wedding anniversary, but my wife came down sick so my day off turned into a painting marathon. Managed to get a unit of Tully Sworn Shields mostly done for the ASOIAF game.

I realized once I finished my 12 hour painting session and took photos of them that I got the shields wrong - the blue is supposed to be on the bottom. Ah well, i'm certainly not redoing them. Happy with how they turned out - armor is VMA Metal Colour Dur Aluminium and Aluminium. Plate is washed with Nuln Oil, scales are washed with Guilliman Blue glaze.

I'll take some proper photos of them once they're done being painted and based.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Those look good! Are you going to do the faces? I'd like to see maybe a tiny bit more differentiation on the scales, more blue or a super faint brass-tone highlight maybe.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MCPeePants posted:

Those look good! Are you going to do the faces? I'd like to see maybe a tiny bit more differentiation on the scales, more blue or a super faint brass-tone highlight maybe.

I will be, yeah. I just couldn't paint anymore after I stopped yesterday, so I still have to do the faces and other touch up items. I've been debating hitting the scales with a second coat of Guilliman Blue glaze, but I don't want it to be too blue. I think that might be too much blue in the unit.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

I will be, yeah. I just couldn't paint anymore after I stopped yesterday, so I still have to do the faces and other touch up items. I've been debating hitting the scales with a second coat of Guilliman Blue glaze, but I don't want it to be too blue. I think that might be too much blue in the unit.

Yeah I think I agree. I didn't notice the blue at first, but once I read that you'd added it I looked closer and quite like the effect, it just has a little bit of a "wall of silver" going on at first glance.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Zuul the Cat posted:

They're a nice blue. Apart from the need for flesh, I think some gold somewhere on the armour would look good (shoulder pads?) - the colour been so prominent on the shield but nowhere on the body doesn't balance IMO.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
X-posting

Z the IVth posted:

Also I painted some ASOIAF Starks. The sculpting in general was decent, but the fine detail was a little soft, particularly on the faces. There was also injection fill issues with Sansa, and there's all sorts of odd cracks you can see on her upper skirt along with the whorling patter on the side of her cloak. Otherwise a quick and easy paint job.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Loving the one wolf moon freehand on Cat's cloak.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Nicely done! Do they come with those bases?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ugleb posted:

E: i am an idiot who didn't look closely.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 20, 2019

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Ugleb posted:

They do not. Looks like Z the IVth has completely replaced them in fact, as the ones they come packed with have rounded lips.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Starter set is on sale for $75 at Miniature Market.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Hey OP, should the War Council app be in the first post? It’s the official army builder app and also gets updated with the most recent rulings, errata, and FAQ. If I missed it then I’m an idiot, sorry!

My FLGS (Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD) had a league going! I’m playing Starks and it’s been a blast. Tried out Brynden Tully cavalry commander with two Outrider units tonight and it might be my favorite Stark list now. Anyone else played around with him?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Has anyone ever actually used the Kingsguard unit? From a thematic viewpoint it's amazing but it seems like it might be a huge liability to field.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Gilgameshback posted:

Has anyone ever actually used the Kingsguard unit? From a thematic viewpoint it's amazing but it seems like it might be a huge liability to field.

Exactly once, and I got absolutely blown out. List was Kingsguard, two units of Guards with Captains, then one each Mountain's Men and Cutthroats in Game of Thrones. Turns out having two fragile units, two slow units, and one unit you ABSOLUTELY can't commit forward is really bad in that game mode, plus it was into Free Folk with several sources of automatic wounds. They certainly do blend, and the threat of the free maneuver banner is especially powerful, but I'm not really convinced by the whole setup. Surely Joffrey wants Cersei for panic double-taps, and probably Tywin to help keep powerful units from smashing the Kingsguard.

Is anyone going to Gencon? Sounds like there are four full 16-person qualifiers? Pretty good numbers.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Bumping this old dead thread because this game is going through a bit of a renaissance locally down under and judging by online comments seems to be slowly clawing back after having the wind knocked out of its sails by Covid, and also CMON apparently not trying at all to make people aware this is a living game with active development.

For me it fills that faster playing, simple but crunchy and very tactical where mistakes can be cruelly punished hole in my life left by Xwing mostly imploding locally.

Fast forward a few years from the OP and there are now 10 factions in the game:
Stark, Lannister, Nights Watch, Free Folk, Baratheon, Targaryen, Martell, Greyjoy, Bolton and Neutral. They are all reasonably differentiated and generally have two or more distinct archetypes.

The official app is the best in class hands down. All the rules docs, errata, collection tracking, as well as extremely smooth rules enforcing list building. But the best part is a single click in the mobile app and it makes a cleanly formatted PDF of your list with every single relevant stat and rule is :discourse:

Is anyone out there still playing this, or thinking of playing it?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

A couple of us locally are somewhat interested, but with the number of games we play already it's been hard to talk anyone else in. I've been trying to talk people into something that _isn't_ Yet Another Skirmish Game, but might have to wait for the newly announced skirmish game instead. (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Signal posted:

A couple of us locally are somewhat interested, but with the number of games we play already it's been hard to talk anyone else in. I've been trying to talk people into something that _isn't_ Yet Another Skirmish Game, but might have to wait for the newly announced skirmish game instead. (:

If it helps, TMG feels way more like a skirmish game in my opinion, just disguised as a rank and flank.

The Renaissance has hit my area pretty hard, going from nothing to three active play nights across multiple game stores and a monthly tournament. The list building and two list format for organized play really scratches an itch that Warmachine used to fill