Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Best thread of the year, every year.

My runs have been on the low end the last three years (although I did get quad-zerk two years ago AND kill NED and Shin with them) so I’m hoping to get at least 5 runs in. Wonder if the new rules will have good replay value. Wasn’t interested in running Forbidden again since my run got the one job I wanted to try (Cannoneer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Thief was my worst Garula experience and involved some Elven Mantle luck IIRC. White Mage was also terrible. Chemist was a distant third.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

My annual "play to post-Wind Shrine and save" run. Three days til pre-registration. Can't wait.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/bregorsa/status/1134504606845886471?s=21

:getin:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ritznit posted:

As a newbie dumbass, I gotta ask: How realistic is it to beat NED with four Berserkers?

:getin:

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Hype for this. Gonna go with the Butes toxx first and maybe some of the TC ones depending on my roll.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

First job is Knight!

My first ever FJF was Knight/Zerk, and I risked, so I'm probably due for a repeat :black101:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

First job is Knight!

My first ever FJF was Knight/Zerk, and I risked, so I'm probably due for a repeat :black101:

Knight/Berserker/Samurai/Cannoneer

Aw man, want to rename my dude ChadBB and Brave Blade it!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have the damage calculation for Open Fire? Is it affected by weapon power or strength/agility at all?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Thanks!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Action George posted:

I got a full part of Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Chemist. Pretty much the exact opposite of my normal play style in RPGs of picking mindless fighter types. Guess I have some studying to do to figure out how to use these classes.

- hit elemental weaknesses
- Succubus Kiss = !Mix Maiden's Kiss and Turtle Shell

That's, like, 95% of the game right there

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

And Geomancer to close it out. So...hm, can Black Mage / Berserker / Geomancer triple crown? Omega seems doable, if difficult, but I'm not seeing any obvious path for Shinryu short of power-leveling. How low level can I go for just NeoExdeath? I'm side-eying that "combined party levels under 100" challenge.

It'll be a pain in the dick to do with low levels, my strategy for whenever I have a Black Mage and no other way to stop his counters is to have three people reflected and bounce Thundaga off the whole party. Because the fourth party member takes damage, Omega won't counter. (At least it works on GBA.) It takes some luck and a shitload of Elixirs to pull off.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Also y'all are crazy, I'm only at Boatgamesh. I did have to work today though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, but if your first action as soon as they're available isn't to sell all the cruft in your inventory and buy four pairs of kicks, why are you even playing FFV?

I always buy three because I get the fourth one in the Rift Castle! (Yes I'm lame, shut up.)

Shinryu and Omega down with Knight / Zerk / Samurai / Cannoneer. NED goes down tonight!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Reporting for :toxx: duty!

Run #1: Advance BERSKERER RISK — Knight / Berserker / Samurai / Cannoneer

Team Chad Brave Blade Butes never had to run away because it was too busy sticking mobs with the pointy ends of things. It was a bit of a slog through all four tablet dungeons since I needed to buy Cannoneer shot, but nothing was too difficult. Had some Aegis block luck on NED, but mostly I just used Vulner Cannon and !Zeninage until a section was almost dead then hit it with beatsticks. Shinryu was very easy, Power Cannon berserked him, then used one of the three Ashes in the whole friggin' game to land Dark Cannon for blind. Omega wasn't bad either, left the Berserker dead after the first wave of attacks, hit an initial Slow Cannon then just used Vulner Cannon when my HP was in good shape. Honestly this run would have been very boring without Cannoneer.

Onto the next!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just rolled Pure Chaos, got Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Berserker

:yeshaha:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway I realized part way through this is that I'm the only person I know who turns off ATB. Um,

Congrats, :yikes:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

Just rolled Pure Chaos, got Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Berserker

Decided to job fair Zerk into Ninja to go for the under-100 toxx and move towards the all-jobs toxx. Also want to include Freelancer, Mime, and all the Advance jobs. Let's do this :science:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah I think Lix has one and Istory has one. Does Istory survive the Void? Can’t remember.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Bleh. I apparently forgot to save last night and now I have to kill liquidflame with three spearless dragoons and a geomancer again.

Man that kills a lot of motivation.

:nallears: If you did it once for real, just switch to Freelancers, wreck LF and move on

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mp5 posted:

My understanding is the dancer won't get Encircled if they are immune to Instant Death, which the Ribbon does.

This helps, thanks!

e: What's this Bone Mail bug you're referring to?

e2: On GBA in case that matters

I think it’s the status immunities bug. If you equip gear with status immunities, get in an encounter and run/win, then switch gear, you’ll keep the old gear’s status immunity for the next battle.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Any Tips & Tricks for defeating Omega with Blue Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon and Canoneer? I sold Trident like a dumb.

You can slow Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Turtle Shell. This will trigger his counter routine though.
You can damage Omega with !Combine Blitzshot+Iron Draft. This will not trigger counters.
Also I imagine Mighty Guard/White Wind are invaluable but it's been a while since I rolled Blue Mage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

derra posted:

Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci

:toxx: Time!

Run #2: Pure Chaos — Time Mage / Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Ninja

I could go back and check, but I think my combined level of 86 is my lowest ever. I fought almost no random encounters after the Fire Ship, exceptions being Bal Basement for AP, and Reflect Knights and Yellow Dragons for drops. Omega got Quickleaked. Shinryu got plunked in the face with a Power Staff and lost to !Image spam. I thought I'd need to level more for NED, but I changed my strategy of saving the human part for last and Magic Lamping it at the end, to opening with Magic Lamp Odin, Break Blade on Almagest, and spamming Meteor on two targets instead of four. Worked pretty well until the dragon part got off a raged Almagest/Vacuum Wave, but an Aegis block saved me from a wipe. This was super fun, thanks derra!

I'll be away for the weekend, but I'll re-roll soon! Eight jobs down, 17 to go!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Re-rolled Advance, got Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard / Gladiator. Never used a Gladiator before, looking forward to it. Also gonna job fair MK since I just had it on my last run, and Bard is essentially a free NED/Omega win.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do I care about getting Hermes Sandals as much if I have the Masamune? I'm trying to cut down on my gil-grinding, I want to get Coral Rings for attempting Shinryu

If you haven't left W2 yet, Coral Rings drop from Yellow Dragons in Meatfort.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

Re-rolled Advance, got Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard / Gladiator. Never used a Gladiator before, looking forward to it. Also gonna job fair MK since I just had it on my last run, and Bard is essentially a free NED/Omega win.

Hi, my name is Bregor and I job faired Mystic Knight into Red Mage. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Well I beat Omega a few days ago, but Shinryu keeps kicking my Blue/Dragoon/Geomancer/Cannoneer team's rear end. Should I just grind some levels out or is there something I'm missing?

!Combine can set berserk and blind. You should be good after that.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

blinking beacon nose posted:

Dualcast + Gold Hairpin is literally two for the price of one :hellyeah:

But then again you only really get Kmart-level spells with Red so :downsgun:

I just wrapped up W1 with a Red Mage and I always forget how lovely their magic stat is. Insult to injury.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Quadzerk update: ground to level 43 to kill sandworm. Moonwalked though the rest of the game up to Twintania. I have my thornlets (SNES version), half my aegis, am currently L49, and am starting to question my sanity.

Fortunately I have no shortage of podcasts to grind during but I'm still trying to find a good spot to actually do that now.

Nice! I was 42 at Sandworm. Strap in for some leveling to take down NED. :black101: I went to this spot in the Pyramid and held up and fast forward on my keyboard:

(Hopefully you're running an emulator... real time quadzerk grinding is no bueno)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

He's not much better.

Honestly, Boco is the best character, followed by Bartz, then Faris.

The best character is obviously Gilgamesh.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

He's the absolute worst. Between Sqeenix shoehorning him into every game they can, and idiots calling him Greg… Ugh.

:allbuttons:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

I've run up against something of a Brick Wall with World 2 Exdeath with a party of White Mage/Red Mage/Ranger/Oracle (using the fiesta patch). I can handle the first phase just "fighting fair" with healing and buffing so he starts dispelling rather than attack. But once he hits phase 2 his damage pretty much just one-shots anyone he targets. I've got two staves of light for the staff users (and a spare, because I got lucky), but I was dumb and didn't want to grind for reflect rings, and I'm out of elemental rods to break. The party is level 26 currently, do I just need to start grinding?

!White on three characters should keep up with Shell/Blink/Reflect casting, no?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Speaking of validation, how long does it normally take? It's been a coupla days since I submitted the victory photo.

RK has tweeted before that the victory tweets just need the #victory, #victoryomega, or #victoryshinryu hashtag and the photos, and no other text. It messes with the flagging process. You can also check your player page on the website, if you log in to Twitter via the site you can see the victory symbols with a ? over them before they are officially verified.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Also I'd just like to add that Gladiator owns bones, World 2 has been a snap with !Finisher and after work I'm going to try W2Exdeath.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #3: Advance — Thief / Red Mage / Bard / Gladiator

No toxxes this time since the double-Ragnarok one hit its limit already. :smith: This run was a fun mixture of !Fleeing when I wanted to race through stuff and owning bones with !Finisher or Requiem spam. !Bladeblitz was just a little too much AP to grind out and use since it was pretty useless on bosses, even though I did end up getting it on Bartz and Faris eventually. Lenna learned !Dualcast and !Sing and not much else, Red Mage is seriously such a huge pain in the dick. My NED strategy was to !Sing for a while on Treedeath, then rush down Almagest with !Finishers, then do the same with Dragon while throwing Apollo's Harp at it as well. Omega got Romeo locked and stabbed with Trident and Coral Sword, and Shinryu got a Power Staff on the noggin.

12 jobs down, 13 to go!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Re-rolled another Advance run, got Gladiator again so I'm Job Fairing into Oracle.

The rest? Blue Mage / Beastmaster / Dragoon :stare:

Another TC incoming!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

With my thief/summoner/ninja/samurai layout, about the only worthwhile thing to toss to summoner would be agi from thief right? Most of the other things are either granted from the classes passively or are about making guys hit harder from what I can tell.

!Image for stuff like Vacuum Wave or berserked Shinryu.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, probably not doing that again.

Not because of Enuo, who for all his grandstanding turned out to be fairly manageable, but because the Sealed Temple itself is a tedious place to traverse. I don't know if Square lost all of its good level designers, if they rushed out the bonus content, or if there's simply no way to challenge high-level parties without it coming across like a grind. In any case, navigating a giant maze filled with repetitive and far too frequently occuring random encounters and containing lots of pointless treasure chests (Who gets excited about finding a Blitzshot?) is not my idea of fun. Especially since you have to backtrack quite a few times to complete everything. The bosses were a decent challenge though.

None more than Neo Shinryu, who took me a few attempts. His insane speed (double-turning hasted characters) and varied attack pattern made it very hard to react. I initially tried !Combine for Slow Cannon, but Slow doesn't seem to really do anything in the fight, which makes me assume that every time Neo Shinryu switches from vulnerable to invulnerable, he loses the debuff. So I went with four Mixers instead. Once you have all buffs in place, it's just a matter of keeping your health up. The Force Shield was a great help too, until the dragon switched to physical attacks, at which point the Genji Shield and Mini combo guaranteed victory.

Speaking of the Force Shield, Omega Mark 2 was surprisingly disappointing. Aside from higher stats and the Barrier Change gimmick (which Cannoneers don't care about), he seemed to be an exact clone of the original one. Meaning I could apply the same strategy with no issues.

Class breakdown:

Thief was mandatory of course, but even if you didn't require Sprint, I'd still want one for the bonus dungeon. The combination of a guaranteed escape skill and back attack prevention cuts down on the tedium by a lot. I probably wouldn't have presevered if I had to fight everything in my way. And since !Mix and !Combine don't care much about your stats, the Thief was an excellent support unit as well.

The Beastmaster was the other required class and probably the weak link of the team. !Release at this stage only helped through releasing Crystelles for Mighty Guard, and !Control is generally too slow to help in random encounters. Still, I made good use of the Dragon Whisker in the Neo Shinryu fight, and even in the worst case the class was still doing okay with !Combine.

Chemist is easily the strongest class to have for the bonus bosses, and probably the only one that allows you to clear Neo Shinryu at a sub-50 level, barring some Freelancer shenanigans. Double HP, Protect, Shell, Haste, Reflect, Death Protection, and being able to reach level 99 was extremely important in most fights. I could also cheese Archeodemon by casting Reflect on him and Lifeshield on my party, rendering his entire gimmick moot.

As for Cannoneer, I think you could make the case for it being the best fourth class to take into the Sealed Temple. The Summoner gives you better defensive options through Golem and Carbuncle, the Time Mage more actions through Quick, but the Cannoneer has both excellent damage when combined with a Chemist and the only reliable way to slow. The ability to equip Shields (particularly the amazing Force Shield) also shouldn't be underestimated.

Now I don't know if I should attempt the Cloister of the Dead. I've never done it before, and a boss rush mode sounds like fun, but I'd probably have to farm some more monster ingredients, and I'm honestly kind of done with this team.

Holy poo poo :eyepop: