Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
yay, finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Changing Instant Healing to a timed toggle would be a step in the right direction IMO.

Maybe strip out the dumb "half of Integration's regen is unenhanceable" thing.

Maybe get crazy and toss in some kind of low %-based regen tick to Resilience.

Regen was nerfed so hard they didn't bother trying to fix it. We have Willpower, Bio Armor, and Radiation Armor now. Regen is dead.

What regen needed the most after those nerfs was giving it basically -recharge and -hp/s immunity. Which didn't happen. They gave us new sets instead.

hup posted:

Would Electric Armor go well with Titan Weapons? I can’t decide on scrapper, brute, or tank, either

My go-to "gently caress this, I'm not trying and everything dies NOW" toon is my TW/ELE Brute. Tanker won't kill anything. Scrapper will kill better but that 15% difference in resistance caps IS noticeable. Also, gently caress runners.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 30, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Claws: Not bad but not great.This is so wrong. So..so wrong. Claws is about the 3rd highest ST DPS in the game for melee. *The* highest AOE for melee

Dark Melee: Great single target damage, pairs well with defense sets. Almost no AoE.

Dual Blades: Fun to watch, but the combo system is kinda dumb. Damage is pretty good. The damage is only beat by TW.

Electric Melee: Dps isn't great, and draining end from mobs really doesn't have an impact. The teleport attack is fun.

Fire Melee: Meh.

Kinetic Melee: Dps is ok, not great. Feels like it was designed with only a few low budget 70's chopsocky movies as a reference. Worth mentioning that it debuffs damage, which is about the only debuff that AVs don't innately resist.

Martial Arts: pretty good, not amazing.

Psionic Melee: Meh. has some weird choices, like a single target confuse with no damage.

Radiation Melee: Pretty good. One of the few melee sets with a passive damage ability.

Savage Melee: Eh. Feels like Claws with a coat of paint.Dots don't crit. Best on a brute

Spines: Pretty good if you like AoEs. Another passive damage aura. Anything Boss HP or higher and this set stops dead.

Street Justice: Decent damage, fun to play.

Super Strength: Pretty good. I've lost track of whether Rage is good this week. Rage is hosed. Right now, it's just Strength. Not Super Strength. It's on WS18's priority list to un-gently caress.

Titan Weapons: OH GOD YES YES YES :fap: Only if you figure out how to play it. poo poo ain't easy but it's extremely rewarding.

Anything not listed I haven't played much.

There are no number ranking of Best-Worst unless we are talking DPS numbers. Fun is fun. Doesn't matter if you can't solo an EB at -1 or if +4 AVs aren't a challenge.

The claws comment got me moving. I'm pretty biased to Claws and it's actual DPS just makes me giddy Going to add some things. Don't mind me...

Broadsword: It's not great, it's not bad. Looks awesome and "feels" good. Battle Axe is about the same.

War Mace: Take all the things you like about BS/BA. Now add numbers to it that are just ridiculous and awesome. War Mace owns.

Staff Fighting: I'm sure BABs is still pissed off this badass looking set was poo poo on number wise so hard. It's actually numerically solid on a stalker.

Katana: Looks awesome and is a beast when it comes to actual DPS.

Energy Melee: Ded. It's just...ded. I had a "numbers person" say it was the best DPS in the game and that made me instantly discredit them on everything before and after because they were serious. EM is dead. If you want to be hardcore do EM/REG brute.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 30, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

clone on the phone posted:

So what’s the Titan Weapon secret you need to figure out?

Titan Weapons actually requires a rotation and enough recharge to do that rotation. You just can't copy a top TW build, faceroll it, and expect the same numbers like other sets. If you hop on the discord, hop in the mids channel, and check out one of the pins I wrote up, a TW FAQ is pinned going over it.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I still think Kinetic Melee has some serious Real rear end Potential with the second wave of ATO sets. On a Stalker you're looking at pretty insane synergy with the Assassin's Strike proccing Hide for a guaranteed follow up crit, the tier 9 recharging Build Up on a crit, and the second Stalker proc recharging Build Up in whatever other power you wanna throw that in.

Put a Gaussian's proc in Build Up and reap the rewards of that double Build Up life.

You could do something similar for a Scrapper as well, keeping Power Siphon and the stacking damage buff going constantly, but I dunno if that makes up for the loss of Assassin's Strike.

I actually think you're on to something with the stalker version of Kin Melee. I have tested it on scrappers. It's given me better DPS than Fire and Ice melee, but not by much.If it's any idea how much a Kin Melee stalker might get out of it, the stalker version of Staff Fighting beats out Fire and Ice Melee for scrappers, but not Kinetic Melee. No, I am not testing Staff on anything else. gently caress no.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 30, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Maggy posted:

elec/shield stalker is loving hilarious

Why? Cause telefucks don't break Hide. Yes. They do not.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I'm wanting to make a TW/Fire character but can't decide between scrapper or brute. Does TW favor one more than the other or should I just toss a coin?

Fire for scrappers = lots of runner

I've done both version and canned the scrapper version because of runners.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

What about the TW part?

e: Actually while I'm asking, how are sword / mace / axe? I need some kind of martial weapon for the theme i'm going with.

If TW doesn't gib it, it will be running the hell away after it gets up.

As for swords? Dual Blades, Katana, then....broad sword. Both DB and Kat are really really good numerically. BS is a pretty poor performer number wise.

War Mace is just bonkers numerically.

Axe is middling. Performs better than BS (not a high bar) but noticeably less performing than War Mace (even without numerical measurements).

TW
-
DB
Kat
WM
-
BA
-
-
-
BS
Staff Fighting (this is actually good on a stalker)

*You said martial so I included Staff.

ClassH posted:

Yea this isn't true. Mace is one of the hardest hitting sets in the game. Axe didn't get the same love so its middle to lower pack. If you need parry for defense there are quite a few sets that have that.
A few pages back Tommy posted a quick review of melee sets for scrapper and brutes.
Stalkers are a bit different since Assassins strike replaces some attacks so some sets move up or down.

<3

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I can't decide what to pair a katana brute with!!!

Claws/Bio is dope as gently caress but I want to make a robot samurai next.

yooooooo Electric

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

elec or energy!!

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Uh, long and short of what he showed me was:

* Do not pick any of Nimble Slash, Placate, Vengeful Slice, or 1K Cuts
* Assassin's Mark goes into Power Slice
* Stalker's Guile goes into assassinate move.
* 6-slot build-up with five from the uncommon set, and the Gaussian proc for double build-up.
* Take Moonbeam to use with Build Up. Slotted thus, you should always have instant snipes.
* Do the other usual melee defense/resistance slotting stuff.
* +5 all purples and non-set IOs, catalyze non-purple sets.

Yeah this is pretty much what I would imagine a stalker version of DB playing out as. Here is what I would think the non-moonbeam chain would be:

~*Stalker*~

Dual Blades (Power Slice-Abalating Strike-rear end Strike-Sweeping Strike)

Moonbeam in, I assume(?) power slice's spot when it's up. That rotation is taking advantage of the ATO1 proc in rear end Strike and the rear end Focus x3 buff. You can get perma-moonbeam with DB/BIO, or I assume with the snipe changes on homecoming. Funny, when I started doing this they wanted to nerf insta-snipe.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

The Snipe change is one I mostly like, but it has an incredibly minor nerf to Beam Rifle in it.

One of the major things of Beam Rifle is "inflict Disintegrate on a target, and your other attacks hurt that target more, you can spread Disintegration via various attacks." The snipe used to have a 100% chance to spread it if it you slowcast it, 55% if you fastcast it. I don't think it's going to be possible to get a guaranteed spread now unless there's two of you: one to inflict it, and another hanging back and slowcasting the Snipe out of combat for the guaranteed spread.

The other attacks still have a chance to spread, of course, and it's just one attack, but still.

Nerfs in a dead game outside pure balance reasons are loving stupid. Looking at you, Rage. Stupid god drat decision.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

spectralent posted:

Wait; what happened to Rage?

What Kheldran said. Rage was bugged for almost a decade and the devs knew about it, so the bug WAS working as intended. Decided to leave it in because they knew the backlash it would cause. It was "fixed" back in like...2015? So now Rage, during it's crash will ALWAYS hit you with a -20 DEF Debuff. It was lovely enough standing around doing no damage for 10s. Now, good luck living.

So, skip rage and just be "Strength" as opposed to "Super Strength". GG

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Someone is saying that the Rage change is fine, and you just need to use a Purple Inspiration to compensate for the Def Debuff. When someone else asked if that was the case, why not balance all sets around Inspirations, they refused to answer, and are now acting like the pubbie they are, replying with memes and, "I didn't answer not because I can't, but because I don't want to.".

pubbies.txt

You're always going to have slob knobbers defending stupid loving decisions. Look at the USA.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

WS18 updated some things that are seeded. Big ticket items.

!boost UNLOCKS character name
Unlocks patron power pools, Cimerora, and Ouroboros
This one is infinite use. Yes, very nice. Very...very nice.

Super, Going Rogue, and Winter Packs are seeded on the AH at 5m Inf each.

Catalysts, converters, and enhancement boosters are seeded at 2m inf each.

Nothing is inaccessible now.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 2, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Glazius posted:

Can't bring incarnates, Dr. Q is 44 so they don't have Incarnate powers.

should it got changed to 45+

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Merilan posted:

If you want heavy AoE on a melee character, Spines and Claws are both great for it. Most standard sets will have one good AoE attack (usually a point-blank AoE), but those sets in particular have multiple.

Spines comes with the stipulation it stops dead once a boss or higher shows up. I honestly don't get the spines/x love.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I can't take it any more.

Poison is king of the god drat hill for AV busting. It's a great loving set. You want to make a team of "gently caress everything"? Poison/Son, Cold/Son, and Kin/Son defender on a team. The other five can be wtfever, it doesn't matter. You already won.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Nah, I totally want to give it to everyone. I just can't.

Crasical: see the end of the video. Technically, we have player powers, they just don't have animations, so right now combat looks like two people standing next to each other till one of them no longer has a red bar. Then one wanders off. We're currently working our tails off on fixing that.

Hurry the gently caress up. :* I had a dream I started playing CoX again.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Holy gently caress they nerfed the gently caress out of Titan Weapons. Holy poo poo. I see Starsman is still alive. Are they really going to nerf bio again?

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 19, 2021

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I snagged the new mids to see things. They nerf slotting to only 5 slots or am I messing up?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

I think that would take some insane reworking of the game to do something like that. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Have there been any crazy changes since they went public? Like, gamechanging levels. Not quality of life stuff. I assume they've just kept going with that.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

aside from things already mentioned, they added some new support sets. but that doesn't sound like the Tommy part of the game, does it

Believe it or not, I did enjoy my defender quite a bit. Granted, a cold/son defender that made the team unkillable and murderborgs, but it was support.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Heathen posted:

Log on you dumb butts.

The dumbest is abiding.

*I honestly didn't think this thread was still active.

I'm actually OK-ayishly active on the HC forums in the scrapper forums. My personal priorities don't allow me the ability to group reliably, but my autism has only evolved with the game. I am one of those min/maxers (my performance metrics back that statement up). Unlike the stereotypical min/maxer IDGAF what someone else does as long as they have fun. With that said, I'm still annoyed that whoever made the GS channel on the HC servers was unable to capitalize the word "GoonSquad". Whoever did this poo poo, [goonsquad], can get hosed.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 6, 2024

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Diephoon posted:

I was gonna say something suggesting you chill out, but now i want to make an ice themed doctor named Chill Pill. Thank you for the inspiration. (There's no chance this name hasn't been taken)

e: rip

:D

I love puns.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TwoDice posted:

I haven't played this game in forever, what's a good place to start? Are masterminds still decent solo?

MM's seem like a complicated class to start with. Probably the trickiest class to start out with IMO. In terms of learning the game? I'd have to recommend any of the original classes that launched with the game (Scrapper, Controller, Tanker, Blaster, and Defender). Out of those, Controllers can be the trickiest due to pet management (which is fairly down the leveling line). The other classes are pretty straight forward in terms of what they bring to a team/solo situation. The villain class equivalents have slightly more going on, but not a ton. MMs would be the best-fit equivalent to controllers, so they are a bit trickier.

Tankers got massively buffed, they are pretty OP. They made Brutes fairly irrelevant with the Tanker changes.

I keep forgetting about EATs (VEATs are pretty darn boss TBH) and the class they introduced, Sentinels. Sentinels are...meh IMO.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

but also players are typically offensive powerhouses to the point where it doesn't matter much

It's still an incredibly prevalent (and wrong) mindset for people to bore their opponents to death. If it's dead, it can't hit you. That's mitigation. It's also CC. Not sure why this is a hard concept for people to get. You'll notice your best builds get *enough* mitigation then focus on increasing DPS output.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Random Axis posted:

I did the content on both sides and made a macro to toggle xp on and off. Just paste

/macro XP "option_toggle noxp"

into your chat window and it makes a gray button labeled XP. Pressing it turns your XP on and off.

One, that's awesome.

Two, I always just used the flashback system to do content I missed. Now, I really do dislike the fact you are in TF mode when you do this.

Is that convenience of being able to do other things what you want most? I'm genuinely curious.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

Also it's a T9 that plant gets basically a better version of by like lvl 12

Seeds of Confusion on a dom with domination active is just ridiculously awesome.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

brainSnakes posted:

As someone who likes to minmax in rpgs and pursue a combination of fun build I enjoy, then making it as powerful as I possibly can, this conversation about the endgame of CoH is relevant to my interests.

I think the most important consideration I have to add to the discussion so far is that I came up with an even better name for my machine / nature fusion character and it wasn't taken on my server yet - Root Directory

You should definitely be in the discord then.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

brainSnakes posted:

I was dragging my feet on this because you guys play on Indomitable according to the op, right? My friend who convinced me to pick the game up had me roll on a different server. I know you can easily swap between them, but I just checked and my cool new name IS unfortunately already taken on that one. Which clearly means I have to roll a second character, darn the luck. ...Okay look I just want an excuse to experiment with character concepts some more because that's the most fun part of this game, leave my flimsy rear end logic alone.

If I was going to to make a new nerd with the guiding principle of 'I want to go all in on being a debuffer / force multiplier for my team', what are some cool archetypes and primaries to consider building around? This 8 word post has immediately got me eyeballing the controller / corrupter / dominator sets, so thanks for that.

edit for vvvv: yeah, I know. But I don't want to come up with a new name, I'm still patting myself on the back for the current one. And since I get how dumb that is, I'll see if I can come up with a better name that works on both servers instead of being a prima donna about this. I do still like the idea of making a 2nd character, though.

Okay, just transferred over to indomitable and changed my character's name to Seed Phrase :c00lbutt:
The op link to Kuhullan’s Clown Basket is saying it's an invalid invite when I click it. is that one defunct?

I honestly have no clue where people primarily play. I know all my poo poo is on Excelsior, but then again like others have mentioned, server transfers are free and pretty instant anyways.

https://discord.gg/N7PUZM5r

Discord said this link expires in 7 days.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 30, 2024

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

heads up, the set of changes in beta just advanced to release candidate 2 (i.e. really close to release)

The ones I've seen actually have me looking forward to them pushing it forward. It's going to make me drop a lot of Inf, I can already tell, but that's a good thing (respecs not needed).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Nothing dramatic, no. The biggest powers changes are some nice tweaks to VEATs, a new control/assault set that people seem pretty "eh" on, and some bigger changes to everyone's epic pools. There's a few new additions, but Sents already had more than most so they mostly get housekeeping changes.

Which is funny to me cause a VEAT is always super nice to have on a team. They bring a good chunk of team buff auras with them. I especially enjoy my Crabstermind.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, they get their own Leadership powers that are more END- efficient, plus there's nothing stopping you from taking pool Leadership as well.

Yup. Just stack them bitches. Everyone gets +10 to all.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Ironslave posted:

I have difficulty imagining a stronger character build than a properly-IOd Crabstermind. Ludicrous buffs, good damage output, high resistances, a ton of pets to both distract and chew through enemies.

My most damaging character is my Crabstermind. I honestly don't know of a combination in the game that can perform better. No one has shared a better average either. So if it exists, no one really knows about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

All I know is when I'm solo on a squishy, AOE Immobs are the jam. They stop things from punching me in my face. I don't want to be hit in my face. But when teamed? Ew. I want to go all XBOX Live tweenager mode on someone.