Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Long War is great, I was sad when the last one petered out. Feel free to name somebody expendable after me and then get them killed on the first mission. e: If you have a choice, I love shotguns.

My vote is for MECs and Nigeria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think if you go to the fighter's loadout screen there's a Rename button.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Man you've got a lot of Engineers. Grenades for days.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

eating only apples posted:

"oh megane had that ability"

I am destined to blow up benches in all possible universes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Long War has 15 kajillion missions in it; you could honestly just summarize a few of them in words and we'd be fine. Don't beat yourself up about it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's a shame what they did to sectoids in 2. The sectoids here are these creepy scrabbling evil babies with no mouths and giant silver eyes, they're just super alien. Then they turned them into generic human guys in rubber suits and pointy teeth.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fine by me. It's your rodeo, do what makes you happy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh neat, I'm a Gunner this time. :hellyeah:

And the video quality is great; good job. Haven't heard the audio since I'm at work.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Godspeed, rook. Godspeed.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

A question about cover, how much of an angle does an attacking unit need to be at to flank a target behind cover?

Cover applies to everything beyond the plane of the surface you're pressed against, if that makes sense. If you're pressed against a wall to your south, you'll be protected from everyone even a single step south of you, regardless of how far east or west. The exception is that units can take one step away from their own cover to fire, so if that one step is enough to get them past your cover, that counts as a flank. This is easy to see in action when an alien is on one side of a box and a soldier is on an adjacent side; the soldier will step around the box to shoot.

Also, there's an option (which I don't think is on for this game) that reduces the cover bonus if the attacker "nearly" flanks you, i.e. is firing from a very sharp angle.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Donya "Eagle Eye" Megane, good loving lord

:golgo:

Get me a laser sight for my LMG

e: Goddamn, though, shoutout to that one sectoid making us look bad. U da real MVP

megane fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 25, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thin men are great, I love their animations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dang, that mission was dicey as hell.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They have Hardened in Vanilla as well. I don't think they got changed a whole lot.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

Megane has absolute garbage willpower

That's what my therapist always says.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You are a machine, my friend. 25 episodes in what, a few weeks? I feel like I barely have time to watch one before the next one gets posted.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The air game in this is just disgusting. Two UFOs took 8 planes out of action for most of the month.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hahaha, I was cracking up at that suppression from five feet away.

One of my favorite things in this game is when you send a soldier right up next to an alien, and it spins around and points at him like "Aha! There he is!" Good job, buddy, you found us.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seekers' whole gimmick is crippled by the way pods work. They want to sneak up on lone snipers etc. and strangle them... but they can only cloak once you've seen them, so they're never a surprise, you always know exactly how many of them are active, and you have plenty of time to set up before they actually do anything.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's basically how terror missions are (at least early on, it might change in late game). It's less "Save all civilians or terror will go up," and more "Terror is going up a ton, deal with it. You can maybe reduce the amount slightly by saving a civilian or two."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

eating only apples posted:

I thought rookies needed a kill to promote on their first mission though?

A kill is the reliable way to get a rookie their level, but there are other sources of XP. I think there's a bonus if nobody gets hurt, and maybe one for seeing certain aliens, for instance.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think one of the good things XCOM 2 did was adding timers to missions so you can't just chill and overwatch forever. Definitely not perfect, of course.

Meld canisters were an attempt to do the same thing here on a far smaller scale. I like the idea of a sort of soft timer that rewards you for being fast but doesn't instantly kill the mission of you aren't, but meld is far too soft, to the point where you go into many missions having already written it off as a distraction.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It can scatter to points you couldn't have specifically aimed at, yeah. Including going further than your supposed maximum range.

On the other hand, the way it works is by picking the detonation point and then flying straight there; it will slice through anything in the way without exploding.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Really the problem is that the devs thought it would be fun and cool to let you free-target grenades, so that you have to hunt for the one individual pixel where it lands right, squeezed between 3 other pixels where you bounce it off of a mote of dust gently wafting through the air and vaporize your entire team.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

suddenly Megane's garbage willpower doesn't matter quite so much

My therapist said that too :smuggo:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Holy poo poo that UFO just would not loving die :psyduck:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That was an absurd number of 'lids in a short period of time, goddamn

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't burn yourself out. It's okay to skip over some missions if nothing interesting happens in them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:darksouls:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Imagine how that might have gone with vanilla panic. :supaburn:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jesus, like six missions in two days.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If I remember correctly there's no penalty for ignoring a crash beyond missing out on the rewards.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, I dunno what you were expecting when you hired me to babysit :colbert:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I watch them. You're just posting them pretty quick, and there's not a lot to say about nice, cleanly-executed missions where nobody gets their face melted; remember that most LPs update like... once a week at most.

You could always post about like... mechanics, or why you're building certain soldiers the way you are, or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well I'm enjoying this LP a lot and could benefit from some mechanics/strat explanations, so I'll just bombard everyone with questions. What's the deal with the strike/battle rifles - they seem to be just a slightly different sniper rifle?

You're pretty much correct.

Sniper rifles:
  • Sniper class only
  • Infinite squadsight range
  • Can't be fired after moving unless you have snapshot

Strike rifles:
  • Sniper and scout
  • Squadsight range is short, and scouts have to carry a scope to get it
  • Can always be fired after moving
  • Less crit

megane
Jun 20, 2008

holy poo poo, what a nightmare :stonk:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Happy birthday, we got you a mectoid

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They do upgrade over time, but apparently scouts don't get anything significant, so it's probably just bad luck.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

kw0134 posted:

There's something soothing like a Bob Ross video where you're calmly saying "well there's a few berserkers, that's okay, we've got a shredder rocket for them," and then things click into place and it works out like magic. (Or conversely the troopers :xcom: it up and gently caress a reasonable plan and people start dying.) A few happy flashbangs and this tactical sitch is right as rain. No mistakes, just happy pod activations. There would be something missing on a silent video, I think.

Also :woop: master sergeant. Time to miss even more 95% shots!

"Now, we're just gonna add in... a happy little HE grenade over here. Just right there. Yeah. Just blow up that cover nice and good. Mm. Just like that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sweet, I made Master Sergeant, and with a sick wombo-combo kill on a berserker at that.