Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1552321600371965953?s=20&t=ekDEPGPWj-IEzKjWxwxjuw

I don't know who the gently caress has AMC+, but eeeey! I worked on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Danke! It does look better in motion than in stills, no worries. I know we alternated episodes between Tiger and DR Movie, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Also the goon MegaMan comic shows up in episode 4 and I definitely didn't save the finished BGs from that scene or anything. It's a brief cameo, but I'm so happy it made it in!

I got some real nice work out of this and it's gonna be the first thing I can publicly add to my portfolio since Florpus. I know animation moves slow but goddamn. :qq: Mercifully a lot of Pantheon crew got picked up for My Adventures With Superman and I got to ride that train to job town.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Danny Devito: I love my daughter and am Satan

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of new projects, Justin Roiland has a new animated special coming to Hulu in October. It is based on a failed pilot he made for Fox back in 2009. Titled The Paloni Show! Halloween Special! It will star Roiland, Zach Hadel and Pamela Adlon as a family putting together a homemade variety show which will showcase animated shorts from various people.

Oh hey, I worked on this! Just one segment, but good to know it's coming out so soon! I haven't been able to show anything since 2019. :qq:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

Got around to catching Pantheon’s first couple of episodes and it’s a pretty interesting ride out of the gate. There is a short story I don’t remember the name of about some grad student whose brain scan becomes basically a VM template for all simulated human consciousness in the future and the implications of that whole mess that seems to have been at least a partial inspiration for the story here. Seems promising.

Das Boo, is that comic book cover in the first episode or is that coming up later?

Episode 4! I know the series is an adaptation of Ken Liu's work, though I admit I don't know which one the main draw is from. My brand of sci-fi is really specific, so it's rare I explore the genre on my own. :sweatdrop:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I haven't watched the Netflix one yet, but saw the entirety of the original Bee & Puppycat. It was going for chill, cute, and indie comedy- both in awkward humor and occasional unexplained bizarreness.

It reminded me of Wristcutters which, despite the name, I thought was dear. Just something to make you smile and feel a little better after watching it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Holy poo poo, it's so rare I find another person who's watched Wristcutters.

And yeah, that's the feeling I got from the movie as well. The title made me except an edgy black comedy, but instead I got a life affirming road trip through purgatory.

I still think about the "it can only happen when it doesn't matter" small miracles sometimes. I'm not sure why that bit of magic realism stuck with me so hard, but it did. The the whole concept invoked a very specific nameless mood in me.

:hfive:

I don't know why I ever watched it with that title, but I'm very glad I did even a decade later. You're right that the mood it evokes is nameless, but there's definitely some happiness in there. It's so special in such a mild way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

DB, I’m not sure if you would have any insight on the matter but is episode 3 of Parthenon the cheapest in the series? Given the core focus of the episode I imagine costs had to be fairly minimal given how much bang for the buck was gotten out of the backgrounds and so on.

Did they commit one way or the other about Gandhi? Like I get where that’s a problem but man did I enjoy the scamp.

Coincidentally, S1E3 is the only one I didn't get a handout for. I did some retakes and one partial BG, the former indicating that there was a significant portion of the ep done by the overseas studio. (Usually our domestic team handles enough to establish scenes from all angles, then the "in-between" BGs are handed off to overseas. Retakes are generally for correcting those overseas BGs. Issues on the domestic side are hashed out during our review meetings, so it's rare we retake them.) So while I don't know the actual numbers, the fact that it's the only ep out of 16 I wasn't assigned to makes me think it was the one most largely handled by overseas and yeah, would therefore be the cheapest.

We alternated between Tiger and DR Movie, and I'm told Tiger was the studio with the better output. If that's a DR Movie ep, I'd bet money it's the cheapest of the bunch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was hearing at the time, "It's actually wildly successful and does great numbers!" but... I have never seen any numbers backing that up or known anyone who shared that opinion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm cool with recasting him but am also of the adamant opinion that Gandhi should be dunked on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like it. :shrug:
I prefer the stop motion feel to the overly-smooth stuff you get when you put 30 FPS CG alongside 24 FPS 2D. (I know this is pure CG aside from FX. I just mean the way it moves.)

I'm fond of limited frame technique, though. I know a dude who's hired specifically because he can animate on 3s and 4s and his work slaps.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Warbird posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Das you madlass, I made a noise when I saw that pop up. Naturally explaining my glee to the Mrs. went about how you'd think.

It was a very good thread.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The last line got a lol outta me.
Good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's really interesting that pirating has become the best, and sometimes sole way to preserve art in the digital era. Interesting in a hosed up way, but interesting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, very personally, always thought TTG!'s mockery of TT fans was kinda funny because by the time they started making jokes in-show, I was loooong sick of hearing about how, "TTG! is such an affront to TT I won't watch it!" It also helps that their mockery is self-inflicted half the time, such as Robin's line about, "Just because everyone says we're [air quotes] abominations!"[/air quotes]
I'm with TwoPair in that I get more hits than misses from that show.

The Velma trailer anticipates outrage and considering how everybody's too busy being angry about Velma being gay in that other adaptation is... WIFF! Kinda funny? Though I'm getting bummed because Velma looked like it could be an interesting take at the start and everything new is just making me less excited. I wanted to like it, dammit!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oh hey, I did the BGs for the Betelgeuse segment back in May! Snuck up on me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ragging on Gandhi should be fair play IMO, but it'd be cool to have an Indian VA for him. I can attest a lotta Indians also rag on Gandhi.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Yvonmukluk posted:

But didn’t Glitch Techs end prematurely? Granted that’s a kids’ show that they got from Nickelodeon, but still.

Glitch Techs was produced entirely without Netflix, axed, then shelved. Also true for the Rocko and Zim movies. Well, the produced without Netflix and shelved part, anyway. Rocko was done and shelved before I came on in autumn 2017 and Zim wrapped in... I wanna say April 2019? The deal with Netflix was in place by June the same year.

But for Glitch Tech- Just after we all got back from Christmas break, THAT Monday at 5 PM, GT crew was unceremoniously booted with zero warning. It scared the poo poo out of everyone, understandably. Turns out that in our recent head exchange, the new head didn't like the idea of having two action shows in production and opted to kill GT over RotTMNT.

And then they killed RotTMNT. Nick is not run great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DoctorWhat posted:

AMC just announced that the finished second season of Pantheon won't be aired or released.

Das Boo, I'm so sorry.

Appreciated! I'm mad, but also feel dumb for thinking it was safe from a Zaslav move.

I jumped ship from a pretty cushy job because I was so excited to work on a 2D adult drama. It was a drat unicorn of a show.

Faaaaaah.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Beta males were supposed to be a humor concept?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I asked this in another thread- Are we supposed to agree with Velma? Is this an Always Sunny "anything these people do is obviously wrong" sort of thing? I can't tell.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Velma the character or Velma the show?

The first thing Velma the character does in this show is smack someone over the head with a hockey stick, so I think we're at the very least meant to see her as flawed.

If you're talking about the "slut" line, that's not spoken by Velma.

Velma the character. For lack of a better comparison, I'm wondering if she's supposed to be a House character where she's an rear end in a top hat, but she's the correct and smart rear end in a top hat so it's meant to be justified.

e:

sethsez posted:

Mindy Kaling usually aims for a sort of Larry David-y "she's a jerk but we all think it" approach. Brash and grating but ultimately someone you still want to pull for because their biggest crime is just being unable to control the impulses we all feel, and there's something identifiable in that.

Velma doesn't even remotely hit that, but it's the target.

Okay, yeah, this. If that's the intent it's not really for me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah, its almost alot of people want to see how bad it is since word of mouth has been so bad.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1603920625529417728

anyway have an "newish" update for HB.

They advertised for a BG designer a couple of days ago and I applied. Wish me luck! :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Bojack's strength was in its boarding. There were a lot of interesting uses of composition, camera work, and ventures into other styles that were often loaded with meaning and furthered the storytelling.

That said, my favorite episode is still Free Churro.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Smiling Friends is a really well-designed show. The wonkiness of the characters is used to enhance the comedy and the simplicity of the designs lets them be animated very fluidly- which they know when and when not to do. The abruptness of cut frames can be hilarious. The BGs are dynamic and deep, the colors are rich, and I love the use of live action, puppets, clay, and rotoscoping. Also when they're referred to as "critters." :3:

Bob's Burgers has the most beautiful BGs in an adult comedy series, though. Detailed and endlessly deep with rich color, often cel-shaded with high and low lighting. Oh my god, I love BB BGs and would love an art book of them, please and thank you.

Venture Bros is probably the best all around. Really strong character designs, great action and comedy boarding, loving amazing layouts, gorgeous colors, style, style, style!

And despite its reputation, the BG, prop, and creature designs on Rick and Morty are really, really good.

To say nothing of Primal. I would kill to draw on Primal.

99% of adult animation is still garbo animation and soulless designs. I was just having fun thinking of the ones I really like.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I took your good lucks and got the Helluva Boss gig. :yaycat:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thank y'all!

Macaluso posted:

What are you doing on the show :aaa:

Just layout BGs, as is my usual.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Apparently in the new Velma ep, Daphne, Shaggy Norville, and Fred all wanna bang Velma. Lol. Lmao.

I feel sorta bad. The design side of this show did a lovely job, but loving hell do I enjoy a freight train on fire. I hope the designers aren't hurt by it because they're all doing their best, and their best is very good! The writers, I hope they... do better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's good as hell AS is keeping the crew on. Usually the Big Name getting a fired puts hundreds of people out of work.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm sorry but if you don't agree that this

is the only good Snarf, you are beyond help.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had a real hard time starting Bojack. I hated the first six episodes so much it took me years for another try. But I think what ultimately sets the moral tone of those shows is that they have the "pure" character from the get-go to juxtapose how miserable the cynical main makes themselves. It's the same for R&M, and as Morty becomes more dubious in his morality, the show supplements by having the rest of the world increasingly call Rick out. Always Sunny didn't really find its footing with this until after Devito came on and I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I'd started with the first season. It's fun to watch assholes self-immolate.

I legitimately wasn't sure in the first episode if the narrative was supporting Velma or not. It's becoming increasingly clear it's not, but... I guess I'm not really certain what the show believes in as opposed to everything it's comfortable making GBS threads on. I'm still kinda hung up on Velma being anti-MeToo, what the gently caress was that line.

Anyway, Velma has kinda made it clear it doesn't want me as an audience member, so I'll leave it to speak to whoever is.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This version of Velma's judgemental and conspiracy prone, with a tendency to make snap judgements and stick to them. The joke's meant to be on the character, it's an endorsement of the movement by depicting the kind of reactionary who wouldn't.

e: in context, Velma's just been called out on exactly this behaviour; the line is designed to undermine her defense of herself.

I sincerely could be understanding it poorly, but that quip seemed to make more sense for Fred than Velma. She wasn't striking me as the "men need to be protected from FEMALES" sort.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but I mean it's been their deal since all the way back to ATHF. Or arguably Space Ghost C2C.

Moltar, his entire body statically hopping forward: "They won't even animate us!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've only had a few (positive) interactions with Viv but I can say that a month in, the production and design staffs thus far have been really chill, friendly, and extremely patient with my dumbass figuring out their system. You can feel very good at supporting them!

Also something interesting for anyone who was riding the Pantheon train- We're having an in-person wrap party next month for S2. I know AMC was shopping the show and we were told to "hang tight" on updates, so [speculation]I'm pretty confident it's found a new home and we'll be receiving an announcement soon.[/speculation] (And for those who don't know, Pantheon was an adult 2D sci-fi series that AMC completely flubbed the release of and weeks after S2 was 100% done, they announced they were shelving the whole thing. They proceeded to go scorched earth and removed S1 from all available platforms thereafter. Why do this when it was getting such immense critical praise? Simple! Good ol' CEO shift-fuckery!)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd be really curious to hear about your experiences there and how it differs from your other jobs, given the more independent nature of things. Glad things are going well :)

Wishing Pantheon the best! I really hope you guys get picked up elsewhere. Honestly, if A24 wanted to pick up another adult animated show, that would be pretty cool

So far the biggest difference is no dept-wide reviews and having check-ins once a week as opposed to the usual two or, if the production's on fire, daily. This honestly works great for me as I'm the "I will get it done to your standards and on time" sort of worker and I like it when production trusts me enough not to babysit me. I've literally had an AD who would throw open the door to my office like she was trying to catch me doing something. It was loving bizarre and my motivation went to pot.

HB seems pretty flexible in terms of roles and assignment load. They have a lot of artists who do both layout and color, and it's understood that this probably isn't your main job so they don't have a strict assignment sheet. If you can take 10 BGs this month, cool, if you can take more, also cool. I'm told the usual load is 10-20 layouts/month which... my usual was 30, so I'm essentially working part-time. It's a very welcome break.

The rest of production looks pretty industry standard! Boards are great, the animatics are probably the most easily accessible of anywhere I've been (most shows bury these in weird folders for some reason), and I don't need to ask production for access to props or shoeboxes- I can go grab them myself. I feel trusted, and I really appreciate it.

This is probably way more mundane than you were hoping for. I'm talking about loving folders, lol.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

I'm guessing you're in layout for the most part?
That's what my final job mostly revolved around as well, but I was much more in the drawing side rather than the coloring side of things.

Yup! The only color work I've done is on 3D and in comics, so I'm still a little spooked to test the waters in 2D. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
100% remote. I suspect my next full-time job will be a hybrid schedule since they started integrating those last spring/summer. Just at the time my contract was written, it was guaranteed I'd be full remote for the duration of the project.

For something like HB though, remote makes waaaay more sense than renting out space in probably Burbank or Glendale, having to purchase all the on-site equipment and licensing gear, and then having to juggle new contract stipulations. It also gives you access to a wider pool of talent if you're not beholden to the business hours of PST.

Truth of it is, an animated production can be done like, 95% remotely nowadays.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, definitely. And it doesn't work well for everybody, I'm just drat near a natural hermit and get more done in the dead of night than I can any given morning.

I should also stress that production is generally having a much harder time with remote than anyone on the art end. While Pantheon had no choice but to be remote, a few folks on MAw Superman chose to work on-site a few days a week. But the last three shows I've been on have been entirely remotely staffed from the get-go.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

socialsecurity posted:

I sort of get the stuff about being overly forgiving but its a dam kids show the message is never going to be "some people are just garbage".

Eh, this was the message about Finn's dad in AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair here, maybe the personal fantasy of Sugar’s would have worked better without a colonial space empire that genocides whole planets. I think maybe the theme of peaceful conflict resolution might have been easier to work without sabotaging yourself in that way. Just lower the stakes a smidge maybe!

This is my take, really. I like optimism and kindness as themes, but most of those aren't working against the text- not subtext, but text- of a genocidal, colonizing, classist, ableist, enslaving, literal human zoo-owning, planet-killing monarchy. The barely subtext is that they're also anti-LGBTQ+. A violent response isn't the problem in a fantasy where these things exist.

Hey, Arnold! had appropriate stakes for a show about themes of peaceful mediation and forgiveness.