Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? I mean that's cool but what even is Max if that's true?? :psyduck:

So MAX is less than NOW?

I'm so confused
It seems like Max is basically a replacement for now/go, but because of the complexity of the current situation with people subscribed through different channels and the software changing, they won't immediately discontinue now or go in the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How long ago was that synagogue shooting?
A little bit longer than the Jersey City shooting a week ago?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Apparently word on the grapevine is that Close Enough episodes were produced as 22-minutes (as in, even fully animated) but got cut down to 11-minutes late in production
Why would they do this if it's just being streamed anyway?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime
huh?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

"Filler" as a concept has been overused as a concept in modern media discourse IMO, for a lot of reasons that are probably more related to shifts in consumption and audience preferences than anything else.
A lot of discussion of "filler" occurs in relation to anime adaptations of manga where there are very clear points where the anime caught up to the manga and had to suddenly write original content (badly). and in that context it doesn't really make sense to blame it on audiences preferring more serialized content now or failing to understand how episodes that are less plot focused are important for character development or whatever

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

It doesn't want to show me Scott Pilgrim, so I think the algorithm is just very bad.
In the past it's sometimes seemed like Netflix would wait a few days after release to start pushing new shows and I was never sure if that was a glitch in their algorithm or something they do intentionally to try to measure how much buzz they've created or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

I started watching scott pilgrim and it seem well made and everything but I guess it just doesn't really appeal to me that much, although I'll probably give it another episode.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Reminds me of the Great Gender Reveal Fire that happened a few years back.
I'm not sure that narrows it down

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls
why does this exist lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's a very a24-esque trailer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I only watch shows on ultraviolence
Is that that service where they include a free digital copy when you buy a dvd and then they tie you down and force you to watch it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Being "good at inbetweening" sounds like both one of the most crucial and most underappreciated parts of the animation process. Yeah man just draw hundreds of nearly identical images that happen between images A and B and they're probably doing something complex and subtle with their hands. no yeah the Keyframes left out all the hard bits you gotta draw a guy doing origami. nobody will ever know your name.
I think it's at least somewhat appreciated, at least by the absence of hate from animation nerds who will get angry if there are animation errors when they pause the video

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think a lot of countries accept less violence and more nudity in stuff for kids than the US

mystes
May 31, 2006

feature length animatic seems like a weird goal to go for but it would be interesting to see if that can create an enough interest to get someone to pick it up to fully animate it

mystes
May 31, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I highly doubt its going to be good, but the ARK animated series dropped with an insane cast
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770757017876983934 they must have spent a shitton of money on it.
Paying to have all those actors voice act for it and then just suddenly releasing it with zero prior announcement or advertising seems pretty loving dumb to me but what do I know

mystes
May 31, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess Paramount was the lowest bidder...
Maybe they should have sold it to the highest bidder instead then?

mystes
May 31, 2006

readingatwork posted:

The Simpsons can work but you'd need to reconnect it to being a real satire of contemporary society, which would require a complete reboot that changes up a LOT of the core aspects of the show.
I haven't watched it in a million years, but some people have been saying that it's actually gotten decent again in the last couple seasons, despite apparently not changing the basic concept.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gurragadon posted:

Really screams kid show to me with the animation style, voice acting and themes but maybe I'm missing something. They bleep every swear as a joke and it's not realistically violent or sexual really.

Oxxidation posted:

its audience seems to be majority zoomers so categorically i think you could make that argument

like there's not too much "adult" about it beyond its pg-rated take on Harlan Ellison
I think the majority of zoomers are over 18 now

Also the idea that anything that doesn't have lots of realistic sex and violence is automatically for kids is pretty dumb

However, the amazing digital circus is obviously imitating the style of kids shows so I see how people might assume its a kids show.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 5, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's nothing objectionable in the amazing digital circus so it's clearly fine for all ages but I don't think the people who made it set out to make a kids show specifically, and it seems like even though it's less horror-ish, it's clearly inspired by stuff that takes a kids show-like setting and puts a horror spin on it like Amanda the Adventurer and Don't Hug me I'm Scared

I think it would take a massive lack of media literacy to look at something like Don't Hug me I'm Scared and conflate the fact that it looks like a show for preschoolers with the fact that teenagers are watching it to say that it's a kids show.

I think something similar is happening when people look at the amazing digital circus but it's much less extreme because it probably is actually fine for ages 8+ or so.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Danny Elfman wrote for Oingo Boingo?!
Is this a joke?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or is this one of those things only people who know the names of all the music tracks in Final Fantasy games actually know?
You're thinking of They Might Be Giants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does that mean no season 2?
Look at the bright side; at least if it's on Netflix they aren't going to memory hole it