Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Revolutions has been good this series. Ep 2 was a great recap of what a disgusting loser Marx was most of his life, and ep 3 is probably the best short introduction to Marxism I've ever heard. I'm impressed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the good thread btw op

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mila kunis posted:

That's a pretty weird takeaway you got for ep 2. I thought it was pretty sympathetic to him for having to pack up and move so many times and having his career derailed because of the reactionary rule in Europe post 1848

It was mostly a joke and I agree with you

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a pretty good recommendation for Aufhebungabunga, any podcast that will invite Bastani to talk about FALC is worth a listen

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

:shuckyes:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kill All Normies isn't good, and anyone who reads it should go in knowing they'll be let down. You can take away whatever you like from the book because Nagle isn't a very rigorous thinker. She doesn't think very hard about solutions to the problems she lays out, and often formulates the problems poorly in the first place. The haters are partially right: she sucks at getting across her points in the text and comes off looking like a reactionary because of it. She did much better in advance interviews, ironically.

It's obvious to me that she followed the fame after publication and ended up in some vaguely center-left bubble of too-online cranks and sadboys.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would be forever grateful to Red Scare if they were able to make Current Affairs collapse due to this dumb beef. Still wouldn't listen, but you'd never hear me utter a bad word about them to anyone.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Did Current Affairs err in some way besides having an occasionally silly segment on their show
If you're going to try to be Mother Jones for 20somethings, you should at least publish something worth reading once in a while to avoid total redundancy with everything else out there.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hilario Baldness posted:

I highly recommend The Michael Brooks Show. It's a somewhat offshoot of his work on the Majority Report, but it's become it's own thing now and is extremely good. He gets great guests on it, and it's genuine leftism.

Youtube Channel
Twitter Page

Hell yeah, Michael Brooks is good on the Majority Report, but he really shines when he doesn't have Sam Seder around to cut short his pointing out the limits of liberalism and advocating Marxist points of view. I especially recommend his show if you're interested in hearing what's going on in politics and social movements outside the United States, it seems like a lot of the newer American left media outlets have that as a blind spot and it's really bad.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's wild how bad Twitter can gently caress up your brain if you let it

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

someone mentioned a podcast of two or more marxists that talk specifically about marxism a few pages ago, but i can't find it. anyone know what i'm talking about?

It was probably Red Menace but I'll also throw in Swampside Chats, which is far superior in a lot of ways

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every time a Rev Left episode starts with a giant disclaimer, I strap in for a wild ride on the rollercoaster of credibility, and I've never been disappointed.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I enjoyed the history lesson in the first hour, the guests were right to point out it's often overlooked in accounts of the region. My big problem with this episode is that, in retrospect, the big controversial claim at the core of it, that democratic confederalism and women's rights are a smokescreen for a violent Kurdish nationalism, was never fully worked through or substantiated despite the two hour runtime. There were a bunch of secondary discussions that kept getting in the way. I don't care about the ignorant things posted online by nobodies about Christianity outside Europe. I'm open to hearing criticism of Rojava but drat put some effort in to present the case clearly.

Rev Left has some great episodes in the back catalog, but the guy really has to be more selective when it comes to guests. I guess that's kind of at odds with presenting movements that are so marginal they don't get coverage elsewhere, but after the Stalin episode, I don't have patience for bad guests anymore.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

hello fellow stalin-episode listener
That poo poo was THREE hours long and I don't believe they even mentioned Steven Kotkin's biography of the guy once!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess I should recommend something good instead of just being a hater. The episode of Swampside Chats on Mike Davis's "Old Gods, New Enigmas" (https://soundcloud.com/swampsidechats/100-old-gods-new-enigmas) got me to read the book for once, and both are worth your time if you're into looking at historical political struggles in a new light. The main chapter of the book explores the numerous class struggles in Europe from 1848-1921 as a continuously evolving movement of movements, and distills some lessons for future revolutionaries from them.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Centrist Committee posted:

If I only had time to read 32 of Zizek’s books, which ones

First as Tragedy, Then as Farce is accessible and short. I read it after his Peterson debate, and the political half is oddly more relevant today than when it was written a decade ago. The other half is a compilation of the provocative "inverted logic" stuff he's best known for. It addresses a number of social topics, and most notably has a full elaboration of the thinking on immigrants and trans people that get him in trouble.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

T-man posted:

beep beep released their episode about infighting on the left

https://soundcloud.com/beepbeepleaf/unlocked-bonus-51-federation-chill

makes me sad as an anarchist, but it's content for the content gods

I'm halfway through this and have no idea which soul-destroying online spaces they're talking about. Is it mostly Facebook or what

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Citations Needed could stand to be a lot more careful in their analysis of economic issues, especially since a strong Marxist argument is the best antidote to neoliberal ideology. Still one of the best podcasts going.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1189597190899019776

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Symptomatic Redness is really good. Derick gets into why American Christianity is in a bad place right now, then takes the discussion into weird places like how Mormons are probably the most Christian religion right now, and why the DSA is totally irrelevant at the national level despite being closely associated with high-profile politicians.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1195057501445615617

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want to be mad at the party for a good reason, you should look up how much it costs to live in a yuppie tower in Williamsburg along the East River, for four years, in an apartment big enough to have a 50 person after-party in. And then think about how the person at the center of it all -- who is proudly proclaiming themselves a thought leader of the new radical left -- could come by that much money.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bullfrog posted:

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Twerking on a cake in a gentrified building

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finicums Wake posted:

plz recommend me some podcasts w/o any cistards. i'm asking for real. looking to drop some of the pods i'm subscribed to that routinely fail to deviler, and if i can pick up some good and win transpods, well, that'd be fgood

Swampside Chats has two trans hosts. Here are two episodes that put trans issues more or less front and center:
https://soundcloud.com/swampsidechats/99-transhumanism-and-marxism
https://soundcloud.com/swampsidechats/56-the-xenofeminist-manifesto

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

where do you post bad magazine takes because the huey long article in current affairs is incredibly bad.

:decorum:

Same epic mindset

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/TalentedVoter/status/1201167183658831873?s=19

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amber's written at least one easy-to-find article about sex, gender, and biology which might help people wrestling with the question of whether or not she's a TERF.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Forgetsu posted:

Amber isn't a feminist and therfore cannot be a terf. She has levels of "I just wanna grill" rarely seen outside of 50 year old men.

Where do you get your ideas

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:gas:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

he's a lesser getfiscal

hint:"let people enjoy things"

The difference is that he humorlessly defends what he posts, and his takes are consistently workerist at best

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strapping in for some white hot takes from Amber in the UK election episode.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's clearly Texan if you would take a second to look at his last name

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't watch leftist YouTube or breadtube or whatever it's called (aside from zero books and tmbs, maybe a few others occasionally) and it always makes me laugh that somehow there's a giant drama factory that has the aspiration of converting teens to communism

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The idea that there's a guy who is super ripped and hosed Janice Griffith for a while but his day job is streaming games while dunking on everyone from Nazis to idiots slightly to the right of him is pretty fuckin lol

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I refuse to watch any videos about cancel culture but I don't begrudge zero books the engagement

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guy who plays crusader kings 2 and talks about the dialectic for 6 hours a day while wearing a mesh shirt and tiny gym shorts

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

If only

Victory Position posted:

sexy podcasting

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1215713379316305921?s=19

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/DeadPundits/status/1217251502735097856?s=19

Terrorist Fistbump