Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I just wish there was a little more gameplay footage out there. Everything I’ve read about this game makes me want to play it, but the (sparse) gameplay I’ve seen so far has done the opposite. Hard to describe, but it just looks clunky.

I agree with you. I have seen about half-a-dozen videos with a title similar to "Fallen Order: It's really good! (gameplay impressions)" from reviewers and although I haven't watched them all I'm pretty sure that this game is going to fun. The combat looks VERY deliberate and consequential - as a rule that's not fun to watch but it's a great time to play.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I said come in! posted:

Titanfall 2's campaign was a lot of fun and the perfect length for a fast paced first person shooter. The multiplayer was also good but too much like Call of Duty so it never took off.

It's really not like Call of Duty at all. There are no killstreaks or deathstreaks and there are literally huge robots running around and there is massive amounts of movement tech that you need to be able to do in order to compete. It is MUCH closer to the movement-based shooters circa Quake than Call of Duty, just with low TTK.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Not to turn this into the Titanfall 2 thread, but I really want to put a nail in the coffin for "Titanfall 2 multiplayer failed because it was like Call of Duty"

Check out the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HaTmoQ6NGA&t=12s

At one minute in you get to see some of the movement tech I was talking about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

It didn't have zero marketing. It had zero traditional marketing. lol they straight up paid a famous streamer a million dollars to play it for a solid day at release. That's marketing. And I'm sure it was not the only thing they did.

That's true. I was responding to someone saying that hadn't seen any ads, tho.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not touching another game from EA and neither should anyone else.

"Vote with your wallet" doesn't work and even if it did, everyone boycotting this single player no microtransactions no season pass title would send precisely the wrong message.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

So my answer was no, I'm not. Because EA are scumbags and I've bought way too many lovely games by them. But I don't want to poo poo up the thread of people who do still buy their garbage.

This game doesn't have any of their garbage, though!

Well except for their bullshit exclusivity on the Star Wars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I'm a booster for this game (as in I think it will be good) but the embargo thing is a H U G E red flag. Which is weird because again all the initial "yeah I got to play the first three hours" previews have been very positive!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Glenn chill out man. Seriously. Just take a break, you said your piece, this is a thread that right now is peopled mostly by curious posters who think the game is at least mildly worth some interest. Hard crowd for "just don't buy it because EA sucks" (I think literally everyone in here agrees with the second part and is buying in despite the publisher). Definitely not worth getting pissed about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They've already said the difficulty levels are there and affect the parry window and overall enemy aggressiveness and enemy composition.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, the weapon leak got blasted to me on the front page of Youtube after I listened to that soundtrack entry (it was nice btw). Great poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

This happened to me for a certain spoier in God of War (2018) after clicking on one video within an hour of the game's release and it was annoying AF.

Oh goddamn. Yeah that sucks. At least in the case of this leak (don't click if you haven't already been spoiled) I was hoping for double lightsabers style, but this will have to do

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I said come in! posted:

lol you absolute moron. You are very stupid if you think Respawn had any say in how this game was developed.

No offense but you said earlier in the thread that Titanfall 2 failed because the multiplayer was too much like Call of Duty. You seem to have sort of a tin ear about Respawn, a company that literally told EA that they were going to release a game without marketing as an experiment and EA agreed. They absolutely have some leeway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol they said what. like i am a weird hipster who likes the multiplayer in TF1 more but TF2 is still loving amazing and nothing like COD. respawn is one of the best devs out there, that goon is a fool.

He's not, he's fine in other threads on other subjects, but like I said he seems to have an odd blind spot about Respawn's special status. All the evidence points to them being semi-independent and not just another beaten down EA subsidiary with the old company name slapped on it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Apex Legends has 99% cosmetic lootboxes and they did one lovely event where everyone screamed at them because they forced people to gamble for the special cosmetics and also whale hunted really hard. So instead they reversed and patched the event so that people could buy them directly. Then for the next event they took out the specific whale-hunting stuff that they did the first time and made it an even better "value" (by the standards of the game economy). They actually responded to people's complaints and got less greedy. The Battle Pass has also improved tremendously - the first season they gave jack poo poo, now it's full of high-tier good looking stuff. Don't get me wrong it's still an F2P whale-based economy where they release events with 150 dollars worth of skins...but it's about the best version of that you can get.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am watching a streamer I follow play a bit and he's VERY good at FPS games and this game is turning his rear end inside out on the reg.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok I've watched the stream. I'm tapping out now but I am for sure buying this.

The fighting is not braindead. You have to do some thinking. If you just mash it out you'll get badly hurt. Get badly hurt enough, you won't have any healing and die.

It looks like there is a LOT of time spent navigating the environment. Tons of backtracking, making shortcuts, trying to figure out how to get to location X. This is not a linear game at all.

This game has lots of deadly drops but if you fall you don't do the ole Dark Souls YOU DIED, instead it spawns you back on the ledge and you lose some health.

The puzzles look pretty good. One thing that looks REALLY nice is that the game has a full 3d map of the area you're in and it appears that any branches/puzzles/navigation elements that you can't currently interact with (because you haven't unlocked/been granted the right force power) are very clearly marked with specific icons in red.

Overall this looks like a very competent game. Nothing groundbreaking so far, but it is a nice pastiche. Those kind of games can be good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BB is a very good buddy as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Is Star Wars finally great again?

Has been always great, Star Wars.

edit: jesus i fuckin' mangled that Yoda talk. never mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 14, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ambaire posted:

Does the game have any dynamic dismemberment at all or only at scripted times? IMO a game with lightsabers should let one carve chunks from the environment to hurl at ones enemies. Cut a pillar to act as a bridge, etc. Reckless deforestation.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the game have any of the above or would I be very disappointed if I preordered it? How long does the actual prologue take to get through before you start the actual open world?

The game has dismemberment of non-human (i.e. animals and droids) enemies. Human enemies get big scorch marks but are not chopped up.

There does not appear to be the ability to Red Faction your way through the buildings and environment toward your goal.

Thom12255 posted:

A lot of the combat in this game makes it obvious why Kyle Katarn carried a bunch of guns as well as his lightsaber.

Kyle Katarn still the king.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

I wondered why my button presses weren't registering!

See I just figured the quicktime events were really easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, he was Han Solo But CoolerTM

citation needed ;)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars is great again and all it took was products set in the OT era made by people who aren't idiots.

Give Respawn some credit Chomp, they're a hell of a lot better than "not idiots". Some of the best around.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lmao I was fighting two Stormtroopers scouts in melee and a rocket Stormtroopers shot a rocket that killed Cal and one of the scouts. As the screen faded to black the remaining scout said "uh... OK then." Good stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This game feels very undercooked. Like it needed another 6 months or so to really nail it. Also they should have payed Platinum to consult with them on their combat system, because they make some very fundamentally stupid mistakes in terms of animation timing and player feedback that could have been easily rectified and made for a much more satisying combo system.

It is by no means a bad game, but this is not as good as I hoped a Respawn Star Wars game would be.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They never give you a reason why everything respawns, do they? (asking seriously as I haven't beaten the game) Even Demons/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne at least gave you a flimsy-rear end reason involving multiple dimensions and rekindled flames and dreams and stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

The chewbaccas all look like basketball players covered in brown silly string, which is unfortunate given the overall great graphic fidelity.

Yeah the animations are not very good, and that Wookie model looked terrible. This very much feels like the B-Team pulling some pretty heavy weight.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fuzz posted:

The previous attempt where you died was you meditating on the future as one possible outcome. The outcome where you succeed is always the "real" version of events with all those others being the shifting futures that Yoda warns Luke about in ESB.

This actually owns. Nice work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TBF the game has had a little bit of rare hitching when exploring and some texture pop-in for me. But only a little bit. Doesn't ruin the experience or anything like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh and also the load times suck on PS4 standard HD. Awful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

I notice video games are doing that a lot lately, just straight up telling strangers they mean the world to them for no real in world reason. The Outer Worlds did that a lot with your companion. You'd go get them an item from a shop as their companion quest and they would love you as a god forever.

Something like 20% of millennials do not have a single friend. Society is utterly atomized and games are power fantasies, so they'll adapt the fantasy to whatever the audience needs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Please source your quotes

That statement is nothing to get aggressive and lovely about.

Here's the study btw

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/8/1/20750047/millennials-poll-loneliness

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He's stopped in my game. He says "go for it BD" and "here you go" and "anything good?" and stuff. Not surprised.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This game breaks a bunch of rules for good combat and one of them is that the 'red aura' period for unblockables is different depending on the move. One of the reasons that the monsters aren't fun to fight is that they generally have multiple unblockables and the red aura appears for varying amounts of time before them, so players have difficulty with the timing and can't merely react to the aura.

Brawlers should never, never, never do this. If the enemy flashes or otherwise signals that it's going to attack that "flash" should always be the same amount of time before the attack across every move and enemy in the game. For example if a player hears the "I'm attacking" sound in Bayonetta they can literally dodge the attack from muscle memory regardless of where it's from, this makes the game much more fair as monsters can attack from off-screen and can be reacted to.

Speaking of off-screen, it's generally considered extremely bad form to have monsters attack from off-screen with no way to know what their attack timing or blocking is - most games have offscreen monsters try to move to get onscreen as fast as they can so they make their attacks - this game has no compunction about launching some rear end in a top hat at the player from off screen with a small buzzing noise or growl or whatever that can get drowned out by the other sound effects of the fight and just expecting the player to Deal With It. This combat system is very rough and needed some expertise from very experienced developers who have made high-rated brawlers prior.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

They also feel "fairer" in a way, you can see where you hosed up your parry or dodge because because everythign is reasonably consistent. This game feels very random with parry and dodge timing sometimes leading to "what happened" reactions when you die instead of "welp missed that flash/sound/whatever"

Yeah the combat is honestly not good. It's not bad because the game gives you enough crutches to work around it on everything but the hardest difficulty, but they needed to get a designer from Platinum or Capcom's DMC team in their office to help them out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just Chamber posted:

It's a shame the backtracking is so unrewarding in this game. Ah yes i'll go revisit a planet i dont need to and slog though most of the map just so I cant unlock a beige skin for my poncho or a force echo with 3 lines of text.

*screen goes gray and bright*

Cal: this pot belonged to a worshiper that left it here hastily because they had to take an big dump.

*press Options button*

Galactopedia: 12. A pot that belonged to a Zeffo worshiper. It was left here hastily because they had to take a big dump.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Soonmot posted:

Posted a screen shot of my saber and apparently the parts correspond, at least somewhat, to the parts you use to build a saber at Galaxy's Edge. My buddy posted the one she made in vacation because it's the same as my magus/elemental nature combo!

Yeah a friend told me they're even called the same thing, "Power and Wisdom" or what have you.

BTW the custom sabers at Disneyland cost 200 bucks. LOL

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Madurai posted:

I like the design of the Mantis--it neatly splits the Republic- and Empire-era deign aesthetics.

Yeah there's a lot of really strong art design in this, even if it didn't reach full potential. The scrapper planet did a very good job of integrating the prequel aesthetic into the mix. I was legit impressed by some of those vistas of yards full of clone trooper transports, piles of dead droids, etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Apex Legend has no real story to speak of - it has soap opera lore that nearly everyone ignores, and short animated films for the backstory of each Legend - but it was mechanically excellent, had a great framing device: players are all bloodsport celebrities called Legends who compete in a gladitorial game tournament that takes place across multiple planets. There was some sort of way for characters to be resurrected after death and re-enter the games but they deliberately kept that exact process obscured and undefined.

So really it was a totally blank slate on what they could have done for that game. It could have been a Militia or IMC Pilot that joined the games, it could have been a Legend that joined the IMC/Militia, or worked as a spy, or dealt with the shady dealings that go on in the backrooms of the Apex Games League. If you ever read the old Battletech novels, there was a Mech Battle planet called Solaris 7 and it was the same basic principle and there's plenty of story content to be mined there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vinylshadow posted:

GLUP SHITTO

Thank you for naming my next NPC merchant, I appreciate it.