Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I feel like I just watched a full on comedy with some gross out effects thrown in. Like a Seth Rogen movie. By the Midway point the entire theater was laughing at every goddamn thing in this movie, like nearly to tears laughing. I loved hereditary, I love a24 films in general, but this was a big fat disappointment for us, and boring too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Boring, or dragged, take your pick. Just because something is funny doesn't mean you're enjoying your time. It's a really ambitious movie and I look forward to more by the director but this one just didn't do it for me, if you think this isn't a divisive film that's cool too.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 3, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

air- posted:

But Hereditary and Midsommar do it differently: they treat death as an inevitable event and there's no escape.

Ari has talked about this point, saying he respects that the audience understands the characters are going to die and suffer. He defocuses the idea that they might somehow get out, especially in this movie-- characters walk off into the woods, another movie would show that person being chased into the woods or followed and slowly realizing they're in danger. Ari doesn't care about that at all.

T Bowl posted:

I've just never heard someone describe uncontrollable laughter as being bored is all.

It wasn't my laughter, it was the theater. My disappointment came from what I wanted the movie to be, that's not the movies fault but people reading this thread should know this is not what they think it will be. I went in blind other than knowing it was a24 and the director of hereditary so a brightly lit dramedy with a bunch of Swedes dancing around was jarring as hell

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 3, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I don't get how you don't see this as a complete parallel to Hereditary

That was just a bunch of darkly lit sad family drama

The horrific moment midway into hereditary was earned and sudden. Here it dumped that moment at the beginning, it worked OK, but it didn't turn my stomach like hereditary and felt like window dressing. I preferred the third act of hereditary, I thought it was tense and scary. But here we got a doofy faced dweeb sad plowing a girl while Grandma helped him, maybe the biggest laugh for the audience

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I understood the movie just fine, it didn't work for me. I didn't find it dizzying or foreboding. It reminded me of the village and thinking "maybe this guy is being a little self indulgent"

I admire the things it tried and I think he's a really interesting director. It was entirely unique. I just did not enjoy it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fun fact, that's a real thing the Scots and Vikings did called the blood eagle

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you want to make a baby stop crying, cry with it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm glad I wasn't the only person scared shitless by hereditary. The third act gives me anxiety just thinking about it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lmbo at the people suggesting that if you didn't like the movie you may need to inspect yourself. I didn't like Christian because I thought the actor was flat out bad and every character aside from Dani was 1 dimensional, it's not because I'm a closet sexist. Having paper thin character arcs in a two and a half hour movie is what I expect from Marvel, not A24.

I'm excited to see if Ari tightens his focus on his third film OR goes full Shyamalan. It could go either way.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I took it that the salve didn't work because of course it didn't, it was probably some homeopathic nonsense. The guy realizes he's on fire and screams like "wait what the gently caress am doing I'm on fire"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That was a lol for me

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well yeah pulling people from American University is definitely dumb as hell. It would've had an even darker subtext and made way more sense if they preyed on Hondurans or something.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Was there any significance to the conversation about ticks right before they arrived at the village?

I think it was just to signify their naivety about the real danger they're in

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really loved the suspiria remake, but for different reasons than the original. It was certainly better than midsommar.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wrong. You're fake news

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

it was really boring and pretentious and did absolutely nothing for me.

but enough about Midsommar

Really though, to get the most out of Midsommar you need to think of it as a normie romantic comedy directed by David Lynch and with visuals arranged by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

I don't agree with that. It Comes At Night has been shat on by basically every critic alive.

It Comes At Night is genuinely brilliant imo. Meanwhile, critics love Midsommar??

I went and saw it a second time so Im feeling entitled

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Christian is weak spirited and gets what he wants by manipulating people. It's how he handled inviting Dani by telling his friends she's not really coming, or the first time they're offered mushrooms and he resigns from taking them as if he didn't know exactly what would happen. It's how he forces himself into working on the paper. He forgets his girlfriend of 4 years birthday (did anyone else notice they dated 4 years and 2 weeks? Which means when Christian goes to that party and Dani can't sleep, that may well be their first date anniversary) and then he cheats on her like a day later.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
For the record I don't think him cheating warrants being stuffed in a bear and burned alive

Not quite at least

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Christian is very average. But in the context of the story, if the point of the cult is community and feeling held or not alone in your tragedy, he's a monster. He's just not a monster in American culture. They literally dress him as a beast and call him a beast or a monster and set him on fire for this. Dani suffers by herself, as quiet as possible, excusing herself to the bathroom 3 times in his presence. The whole suffering in silence thing is the point, I think. Whereas the cult makes a pageantry of suffering, a celebration and community out of it.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 9, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

Nah, that was a symbolic gesture that they would have done no matter which one she chose.

I'm not entirely sure of that. Ingemar (I think was his name?) clearly had a thing for Dani, just like his brother had a thing for the girl in the couple he brought. There was a tinge of vengeance to what happened, in my opinion. Ingmar passionately kisses Dani after she wins the may queen dance. Ingmar chose them, and its reasonable he suggested Christian for the beast sacrifice.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Remembering your girlfriend of 4 years birthday is probably the easiest gimme to show you think about her at all. Like how hard is it to remember after four years one day out of the year

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Brits loudly told them to gently caress off, that they're crazy and sick. They disrespected the atestupa. Josh broke into their Temple to photograph their private works. From their point of view this is taboo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ari Release the 4 hour cut you coward

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought Josh was maybe lying he knew what it was. He misidentifies runes acting like a know it all, maybe that's the same thing.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pelle wanted to be with Dani. It's hard to tell because we never see his penis but I'm fairly certain

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

i think that's exactly what it is and it is soooo pathetic lmao

Ok, genuine question, was anyone scared by this movie on any level? I've seen it twice, there's certainly something to it but it's much funnier than scary.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hereditary was scary as hell, this wasn't, I don't think i'm being a "tough guy". The violence in Midsommar is presented so matter of factly, it's hard to not find it funny or amusing. It felt more like a slasher movie where every time the violence is shown the crowd is meant to ooh and ahh, not hide behind their hands. I don't think that's a flaw of the film, honestly the few people not laughing or reacting to what was shown I feel bad for, like how humorless are you?

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 12, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Midsommar is stacked with hilarious scenes. Dani's story in America is entirely sad and tragic, then she gets to Sweden and sees death and literally suicide that's presented humorously and she tries to comprehend it-- she has dreams of her parents being the jumpers even, trying to figure out "is this the same thing?" And no, it's not, in this place it means something different, here it is triumphant and kind of kitchy. Death, haha!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's a vape god

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

buncha luke p's if you ask me

Natural progression of the thread right here

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hereditary is in a special top ten list of absolutely phenomenal movies I never, ever want to watch again. Shits burned in my brain.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Alex Garland isn't interested in doing the Annihilation sequel which makes me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wait he made dredd too? Guy can't catch a break at the box office.