Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to go with the Golden Deer for my first run because I think Hubert and Felix don't look remotely the right age for me to comfortably teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh. Think they're color coded to your house? There was a lot of red in Edelgard's outfits.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Don't care, gonna make everyone armor knights anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I, too, will marathon all three routes and then be so burnt out I won't be able to play the game again until the next FE comes out.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

What I'm saying is, I'm going to make Raphael a punchmage, and nobody can stop me.

Raphael is bad at reason magic and would make a bad punch mage.

He is, however, neutral on faith magic, and as such should instead be a punch priest, which is far superior.

Alongside swordmaster Lysithia and assassin Marianne, my team of people doing stuff that's technically wrong but still works will dominate the field.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

*looks at Dorothea’s preferences* so the game wants me to turn her into Celica right

Yes, if Celica could dance, because dancers are swords and magic in this game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't understand why they'd let women be brigands and warriors if war master is male only.

Ugh, this class system is weird as hell.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, can males be dancers?

We don't know yet.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Do we know how many supports someone can have? Are we limited like GBA or can everyone do every support like Awakefates?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

I really doubt they'd go back to limited supports, especially considering how small the cast seems to be relatively.

That makes sense, but if only Byleth can S support, that means that we can no longer ship characters in game.

Considering we've been able to do that for quite a while, to the point where three games have had it a as a central mechanic, it seems weird to me that they'd change that to entirely platonic supports. I mean, I guess you could say the same about the class system, but it seems like a drastic change.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I suppose it it theoretically possible to have rank A be a romantic relationship and lock out all other A ranks and S ranks while simultaneously only allowing Byleth to S rank and allowing everyone to have unlimited supports, but that sounds guaranteed to annoy people who accidentally got their waifu dating someone else.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not even wondering about S supports, I just want to know if I can ship people in game or if I have to write fanfiction to do that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

True enough.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theshim posted:

I'm super grumpy about the silent protagonist bit, personally. It always felt like the weakest aspect of Persona, for an easy comparison, and it makes the game fawn over the player even harder when it's also filling in their dialogue and poo poo for them. Bleh :argh:

Same. Silent protagonists suck, especially in JRPGs that don't go through all the effort that western ones do to make you feel like the character is something you design.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Male dancers?

Excellent, Ignatz now has a use.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeZieja/status/1151639441892503552

that's a way to confirm you're voicing claude alright

That is the only way to confirm you're voicing Claude.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What I'm hoping for is that you're not expected to have a team full of Master Classes and that Advanced Classes will be good enough for the endgame.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zore posted:

The reviewers and people with early access are saying they're all definitely a tier up from the Advanced classes with much higher bases and better skills :shrug:

I guess we'll see once more people report on the endgame.

Well that sucks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My current hope is that Claude is actually a scheming douchebag in the early game and then he gets better in the timeskip.

Since Edelgard and Dmitri get worse, it'd be nice to have someone wind up on the other end of the timeskip better than they were before.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I need a warrior on my team, and I don't want any more drat dirty crests in my Golden Deer run, so I am trying to recruit Ashe and/or Petra.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do like scheming, backstabbing, lying dudes with strange facial hair, but I like depressed, self-loathing, constantly tired religious women far too much.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My only major complaint so far is that monks cannot use fist weapons so Raphael cannot be a punch priest and it sucks.

That is all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I took me until month 10 before I discovered you can hold B to run during monastery segments.

I am dumb.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get some extra dialogue.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Anna in this game, pals

Yes. She is a merchant.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: btw, did anyone ever figure out of support points are wasted on charters who are capped in Part 1?

I currently have four support pairs ready to go as soon as the timeskip hits in part 1, so at the very least, you can go one farther than the cap.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

daermon posted:

If Raphael isn't punching things, you're doing it wrong.

I agree, but for some reason priests cannot punch, it is awful.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I want to get Byleth to C rank in Lances quick to pick up Leonie quickly, what's the best way to do this since Seminars apparently aren't that great?

Switch them to using lances and have the lance users train you. I know Seteth is one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Supports are great this time around. There are a couple that are just fun character moments, but there's also a hell of a lot of foreshadowing and actual deep topics in them.

I think 95% of the foreshadowing I got about Claude's deal came from C supports, which is great.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Swordmaster Lysithia and Assassin Marianne are working out a lot better than I thought they would.

That's almost entirely due to Levin swords, but I still get Lysithia ORKOing monsters and the like. 35x2 damage is great.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to agree with all the people complaining about Marianne's paralogue. That was the only map so far I almost ran out of divine pulse charges in.

Still Marianne is great and it is worth it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

When do you get access to it?

The first month after the timeskip, I think.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Goddess Tower visit is locked to students of the opposite sex, yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Recruiting Dorothea was the best decision I ever made because she has the best post timeskip dialogue.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

With divine pulse, permadeath isn't really an issue. You'd have to get people killed enough for you to run out of pulse charges before your choice of classic or casual even matters, or just choose to not use pulse. I don't see any reason to use casual unless you're really bad at the game or don't want to use pulse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I dislike being able to rename Byleth because it means that everyone calls you professor, even the other professors, and it is strange.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But that would mean I'd have to go online and hear 'Thank you!' from the black eagles every time I need to load a combat map.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

High Crit Rates are fine. You go into the battle expecting to reset or divine pulse or to lose a unit or whatever.

It's those single digit crit rates that'll get ya.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Terper posted:

THIS ROSE HAS ONLY THORNS LEFT

Absolutely one of my favorite post battle lines. It's right there in the middle of goofy and cool for me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The students range in age from 15 to 23 and Byleth's age is listed as ???. I think you can determine their age based on in-game stuff but Byleth themself does not know so it's kinda a moot point I'd guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh, good, people do have special dialogue if you have them fight someone that used to be in their class. I was hoping so.