Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish the commoners were more important in 3H's story. GD has more commoners than the other houses but the characters that get the bulk of plot talking are Claude, Lorenz and Hilda. Lysithea also gets a couple lines where relevant.

The only really 'important' Commoner amongst the students is Dedue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lunar detritus posted:

That just makes it more obvious that students with the same "archetype" share some dialogue after the timeskip, like Caspar and Raphael.

I feel like I'm harsher on Caspar for that because he has some potentially interesting interactions like his support with Edelgard and his uncle being part of her army, but he just shrugs and doesn't care and remains... relatively shallow. At least with Raphael what you see is what you get, Caspar feels a bit like wasted potential.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

Oh, this that timeline where Edelgard wins, and to this day I refuse to side with her. My fourth playthrough, where I was gonna go down the Crimson Flower path, I still can't commit to it.

I mean it can still happen in any non-SS route where you don't recruit Ferdinand, just pretend all this happens before Myrrdin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd even argue that Edelgard leaking her knowledge would be plenty to start a civil unrest. Knock out the main foundation of Rhea's religion and the Church is already destabilized.

It doesn't necessarily have to be her if it would be too risky with TWSITD involved, just get some high ranking official whose word won't be easily dismissed to do it and then she can launch an 'official investigation'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Raphael's supports with pretty much every character are great. Especially Marianne, Flayn, and Hilda. I love his support chain with Dimitri too where he sees Dimitri doing superman poo poo like lifting carriages off the ground and is like "How do I do that too?"

I'm still bummed that his only A support with guys is just Ignatz. That Dimitri support could have gone places.

The great part is also how he just flummoxes Ingrid by taking all her nagging into some weird bizarro self-improvement logic.

Hanneman's romantic supports are definitely a bit off, especially since almost none of them actually allude to romance during the support itself, it's just a post-credits addition. At least Manuela shows signs of it during her supports with Dorothea or Ferdinand.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ingrid's status as the straightest women in Fodlan continues.

I actually like the idea of a Flayn support with Bernadetta or Leonie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm going with the assumption that the war was the more pressing issue, nobody was getting through talking to him, and regicide would have been detrimental to the push forward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After burning out hard on my third route for months, I finally went back and finished Verdant Wind. I think I'm done with the game for a long time, maybe I'll come back and do Silver Snow at some point or do a second Crimson Flower run, but overall I'm happy to be done with the Monastery.

I feel like I'd go CF > VW > AM. I like Verdant Wind a lot but there are quite a few unsolved bits at the end, and I got pretty tired of hearing 'javelins of light'. Also probably my least favourite final map of the three. CF is also the shortest which was a bit of a welcome after getting tired of the monastery runs.

Other bits that happened over my three playthroughs:

* As far as students go, I always ended up recruiting Ferdinand, Bernadetta, Dorothea, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz and Raphael. Sylvain and Ingrid though weren't because I especially liked them but because they had really easy requirements.

* Marriages were to Dorothea (CF), Dedue (AM) and Raphael (VW). Probably should have done Claude in VW and then Raphael in SS, but I was burned out enough.

* My dancers were Petra (CF), Dorothea (AM) and Raphael (VW).

* Caspar was the only character other than Jeritza that never got an A support by the end. Probably because I never recruited him outside of CF and didn't use him much even in CF.

* I got Manuela to Bolting exactly once. Decent results but not sure if it was worth the slog and she's just not a great character either way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AlternateNu posted:

Manuela is great as a Trickster, but it requires the DLC.

Also, Raph as a dancer, lol.

He's got more than enough bulk to stand in the frontline and use Sword Avo or just his natural fists. Probably not the worst Dancer ever as long as you accept that he's never gonna heal well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also funny that Claude is lauded as a schemer and looking to ferret out secrets but he has no issues with trusting Byleth and his own allies. You'd think that if an emotionless robot his own age suddenly became his teacher replacement he'd be looking into it immediately.

Honestly, I like the Verdant Wind route but Claude always just feels like a speedbump on the other two routes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think that outside of SS, the game actually does a good job where no matter what route order you go it all kinda works. You either solve more mysteries, explore more character motivations, or get as close to a happy ending for as many people as possible.

I did CF > AM > VW and was overall fairly pleased, I think? I think in terms of the three routes I like CF > VW > AM, but I think I'm not completely objective on that since I was burned out pretty hard on VW.

If they'd made the Monastery stuff a lot less draining on a second or third time go around I'd be higher on the game. As is, I got my three non-SS routes done and I don't think I'll be touching it for a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ferdinand and Petra would go along in CF due to politics I guess. Dorothea and Bernadetta just want the war to end, and Caspar and Linhardt don't really care which side they're on as long as they get to punch and sleep. It definitely feels like the least unified house, with the only real common thread being that most of them have important noble dads.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Edelgard is the only non-Byleth character to do actual recruiting work. She offers Petra, Dorothea and Bernie the one thing they want the most, and if you don't recruit Hanneman or Manuela, they join her forces (though they only show up in an AM paralogue). Ferdinand makes it pretty clear he would rather counsel Edelgard than fight her. Linhardt and Caspar are probably the weakest links, but they have even less reason to go join any of the other sides.

There's also a whole sideplot that mostly shows up in supports about how crests have a large influence on people's personalities. Flayn and Linhardt are both attention deficit narcoleptics, Ferdinand and Seteth are both thoroughly wholesome dudes who tend a bit towards the overbearing, etc. Byleth and Edelgard are the ones with a crest of flame, and they are also the only ones who manage to inspire absolute loyalty in relative strangers.

Manuela appears in the main story too, she appears as an enemy in the throne room map. I think Hanneman is just restricted to the paralogue though.

Linhardt has enough reason to stray I think, he's really big into Crest research and the BEs only have the Crests of the Four Saints and none of the Ten Elites. Plus Marianne/Lysithea's situations would give him a compelling reason to jump to the GD.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nah he just really wants to nap. If he was a bit less ethical and didn't mind abandoning whatever class he ends up in he would probably have just buggered off to who knows where to sleep the war away. As is, the five-year promise is what brought him back to Garreg Mach in the first place so he's got some sentiment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FE3H is an okay entry game, but I actually prefer introducing newcomers to Awakening or SoV instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fire Emblem Heroes pumped out some new alts and uh

Giving Raphael a bow for his debut sure is a move alright.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Golux posted:

I mean being beefy helps with bows in real life, unless your pecs get in the way of the bowstring.

...Why does Dorothea have an entire extra person?

It's a new gimmick where they mix two characters from different games into one, with a bonus field skill they can activate that benefits all team members from either game (so in this case, Three Houses or Genealogy).

And I can buy Raphael being an armour unit since he's got a natural inclination towards and it and 'slow beefy' seems to be their default armour shrug option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It makes some vague sense for Plegia since it's a desert nation. Even the generals like Mustafa are barely covered.

Actually huh, is that why Henry has Barbarian as a possible job? Because Plegia? Not sure why Tharja can go Knight then.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ah but see Dorothea is a Songstress.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think part of the issue is that it's not like Dimitri and Claude were just gonna sit on their hands if Edelgard didn't kickstart her war. Claude definitely wanted to break down the walls between Almyra and Fodland, and Dimitri... okay maybe Dimitri wouldn't really have done anything. Edelgard just was convinced nobody else would do anything forever if she didn't light the first match when she very well had an opportunity to foster something at the Academy where she could meet with major house leaders every day if she wanted to.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Edelgard still has the issue of rejecting Dimitri's offer of alliance in Azure Moon. Whether it's pride or whatever else, it's a rejection that brings her no benefit since TWSITD were already knowledge. She's definitely not infallible in her plans about that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Probably, I mean Linhardt & Dorothea completely no-sell his routine. Although Linhardt probably thinks that being scared is too much energy for one day.

Dorothea and Linhardt being just unflappable walls is pretty great to contrast against the rest of their house. I'm not sure Dorothea really has any bad supports other than Hanneman just because I don't want them to end up together.

She's a bit of a dick to Sylvain, but let's be honest, he deserves it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Both Lorenz and Sylvain are bad, but Lorenz grows out of ignorance, while Sylvain knows he's a butt all along but has too much anger at the women that represent the system to relinquish being a butt until later.

Neither are amazing, but at least people regularly dump on Lorenz, while Sylvain is mostly... tolerated other than Ingrid and Dorothea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The thing is that Lorenz and Sylvain stumble upon the same issue in two different ways.

They're both aware that a noble marriage is pretty important for raising one's status, and they're both in respected houses in good positions of power. Sylvain's in a position where his Crest is especially sought after, and if he wanted to he could really have any pick as a bride, and he's got the charm to do it, but he also rages against the system that basically gave him free reign in the first place and has nothing but sympathy for those who are the victims of it like his brother. Lorenz takes his bride choosing much more seriously and thinks longer term as to what marriage means as a noble, but he comes off as much more superficial.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sylvain doesn't really hate women, since on some level he recognizes that they're just as much a victim of the system as anyone else is; he can't completely blame them for wanting the best life for themselves just like how he can't blame Mikhail for being jealous and bitter at him. But they're an easy target to blame because they can do better, unlike Mikhail who literally couldn't.

He flirts because it's easier to put up the facade, because they can't change the system any more than he can.

He's honestly one of the more complex and well written characters if you can get past his early supports. It doesn't mean I like him, but I can appreciate that he's a fairly complex character especially compared to the rest of his House.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a huge shame Edelgard and Sylvain can't support.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say recruiting Caspar is also nice in AM for Mercedes' paralogue. It's kind of bizarre how him and Ferdinand can't even access their paralogues in Crimson Flower.

Flayn's a forced recruit either way but I think she's right at home most in Verdant Wind. She has a lot of fun supports with Ignatz/Raphael/Claude. Shamir also probably fits nicely in VW, she's got some decent stuff with Claude and Leonie.

Cyril fits best with AM, same with Catherine. Alois... honestly he's pretty removed from most of it so it's hard to say. Probably VW just for the Leonie collection or SS because why not but he probably goes anywhere really.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Going unarmed actually means you could quad enemies, but that only really applies to Caspar and maybe Felix since Raphael and Dedue are too slow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That part definitely gets fleshed out a bit more on Azure Moon, but you do get context before the mission for why you're doing Arianrhod.

If my memory serves me right, it's a strike against TWSITD, and they retaliate by dropping the arrow of light. Edelgard mentions that only the Strike Force knows of this plan.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Crimson Flower is my favourite to replay because it's the shortest. The Monastery really outstays its welcome after the first playthrough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

He isn't the only one to get it. Dorothea, Benadetta, Mercedes, Ashe, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz, Marianne, Leonie, Shamir, and Hapi all get it as their C level Faith.

If you're playing casually though, the only other person you'd see get it on a CF run is Dorothea. Similarly, of the rest of that list, you'd only really see Physic on Mercedes, Marianne, Hapi and maaaybe Sylvain (but magic Sylvain isn't immediately intuitive when you first get him).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lies, Raphael would never wear a hoodie so gigantic that it prevents him from showing off his muscles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

Exactly, he'd be in a too-small bro tank.

The rest fit pretty well though.

Modern AU Raph brings to mind those jocks at uni with Scottish or Nordic genetics that just walk around in tank tops and short shorts even in the dead of winter.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually based off opening cinematic Seiros. Apparently she dyed her hair since.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

Doesn't explain Byleth's hair, or Sothis's.

Her hair is originally green, she just dyed it blonde as Seiros.

They just made a snafu since her roots should be green and not the tips, but maybe hairdressers just weren't very good a thousand years ago.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Presumably at that point, she has no reason to disguise herself from Rhea anymore since Edelgard had already pushed her reveal into the open.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

In one of her conversations with Alois she has a bar tab she can't pay.

Jeralt also has a bar tab he can't pay.

Maybe the problem here is Alois.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

It just seemed like it was easier or harder to hit enemies when using the appropriate weapon but I guess there are just that many enemies with breaker skills. And since there's just one tomebreaker skill, that means there's no magic trinity. This explains why it seemed so inconsistent and why I couldn't find any info explaining it.

It's generally a combination of just general weapon traits (swords are accurate, axes are more powerful, etc.) and you likely have Sword Prowess on something on that unit that's maining a sword.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Amppelix posted:

this is why hit +20 is so good actually, because it for some reason also affects gambits, letting you cheese some hits with the trash-tier charm characters

It's why Ignatz has bad Cha to offset his Personal and Authority boon, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rimusutera posted:

I saw a youtube comment that described her as the only character you'd trust to help wall mount a TV and I felt that.

Petra and Shamir I could buy as well.