Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will not stand for my boy Claude's house being in last place!

Edit: Wait, I'm dumb and can't read polls.

Anyway, gonna join Naruto Claude's house, because he's the best main lord and Golden Deer has the most interesting recruits. Raphael and Marianne!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Does anybody know if the characters, especially Byleth, walk around the school in their default outfit, or their class outfit? Because FByleth's standard outfit is so bad, and MByleth's is not really good, either. But their outfits in proper FE classes look good. So I hope we're not forced to always walk around the monastery in ugly stockings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ah yes, this was a prominent point of discussion during the LP of that game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
quote is not edit :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Here's the point the thread discovers that the area is outside:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=61#post408679763

Another Camus?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marshmallow creep posted:

So is that the secret identity of Flame Emperor or Death Knight?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, both the Flame Emperor and the DK already wear masks, why would they wear a mask even out of "uniform"?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I found the trailer so much more interesting than the DLC news. Claude is rocking a Wyvern, another confirmation of the Thanibomb leaks. And at the very end of the trailer, adult Edelgard, wielding the sword of Seiros, is dueling/fighting Byleth. Seems like it confirms what people suspected about the E3 trailer, that her kneeling and saying "My... teacher..." was after she has been defeated by Byleth. I wonder if that fight is inevitable, no matter what route you choose? Byleth is rocking the Sword of Creation, and is bearer of the Crest of Flames/Fire Emblem, while Edelgard has the Crest of Seiros, of course. So that fight is a recreation of the Divine Seiros and the Liberation King Nemesis fighting one another a thousand years ago. Said duel has also been shown in every Three Houses trailer. So really, will Edelgard turn against you even if you go with the Black Eagles? That would also explain why the leaks said there are two Black Eagles routes, perhaps you can avoid the Edelgard/Byleth battle in a New Game+ route, or something like that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did you folks see the advanced class stats breakdown? https://serenesforest.net/2019/07/04/three-houses-advanced-classes-via-japanese-website/

Paladins have the same speed growths as generals (fortress in FE16), I can't remember them having that low speed in the previous games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Inverness posted:

I looked again at the mural of the Goddess that has been shown more than once. I'm sure someone has mentioned this stuff before, but I was interested and wanted to pass the time.

It seems there are a lot similarities between Sothis' design and the goddess on the mural.

The headdress and the visible parts of the hair look largely the same between the two. It also seems to me the mural was designed to avoid making too obvious connection to Sothis. By this I mean the hair color could be disguised by the lighting of the scene rather than being an obvious green. The cloak(?) being worn by the goddess conceals the rest of her hair and would hide the distinct, curled look that Sothis has with her hair. The goddess also has much longer hair that conceals the majority of her ears except a pointed tip seen on the left.

And of course we know now that Seiros is the one with the odd sword near the bottom, and not the name of the goddess who has yet to be given a name.

The opening narration of the E3 2018 trailer says that "Long ago the Divine Seiros received a revelation from the Goddess, a gift to help guide the lost." Absent any other information I assume that is the Divine Pulse that Byleth gains.

In a more recent video, I think from one of the people invited to play the game at Treehouse, Seteth says that it was Rhea that pushed to have Byleth become a teacher. And Rhea herself says to Byleth that "you will most certainly fulfill the grand destiny that the goddess has seen fit to grant you."

Of course it's possible that Byleth's power doesn't come from Sothis but rather that Sothis is some sort of agent of the Goddess, but that doesn't seem likely to me.

Interesting speculation. But did you know that the original form of the Goddess mural actually has the Crest of Flames (Fire Emblem), Byleth's crest, in it's center? And that the mural was a more recent addition to cover said mural? I can't find the image anymore, but there's a cool picture of Byleth's crest overlaid over the mural, and you can see how the birds, the dragons, and the goddess herself actually are arranged in roughly the same form of Byleth's crest. If Sothis were said goddess, how come her image is covering up the Crest of Flames? To take up your theory, is Sothis perhaps just using Byleth to get reborn?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

I mean Genealogy is one of the most beloved games in the series and the only thing from it they've really gone back to is the kids thing, so going back to everything else about it makes sense.

That's because several of the Genealogy inventions just became mainstays for the series, like the weapon triangle or support conversations.

The thing about getting to know everybody early on is that you no longer get potentially interesting characters 4 maps before the end of the game, where your roster is already established and fixed. After all, the usual FE player does not play with perma-death, we typically start a map over if we lose a unit. So those characters don't even have a reason to exist as clutch characters to shore up your decimated roster.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One of the screenshot also has what I assume to be Byleth's response, but with a different name over it. This confirms for me that we can rename Byleth.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jawdins posted:

There's a spoiler up of the opening cutscene

Here's the link

:stare:

That was certainly an opening! I'm getting more and more hyped. I think this really could be the best Fire Emblem in this decade, if not ever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rannum posted:

Well this wasn't what I expected and also this owns

when seiros is added to FEH as a mythic hero her crit animation needs to be throwing away her sword and punching people, i m h o

I can respect the heel game, very strong. Seiros is legitimately badass in this trailer.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's exactly that. It's for your battalions. I don't know the exact mechanics, but IIRC, you need higher charisma/authority to get better battalions. And since the battalions are so heavily linked to the gambits, high cha also indirectly improves gambits.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It would be cool to have some people become BFFs or something like that. S support but non-romantic is my thinking. That's what the strange A support with Hubert could be?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, one unit is what most previewers mentioned being able to recruit. That's pretty reassuring, that you can't just pick the best students of the other houses, but instead have to make really hard choices. Ups the replay value a lot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wuggles posted:

I was all in on Edelgard but I just saw post-skip Dmitri

What do I do?!

Go with Claude! Golden Deer or bust!

Think about it: Do you want to join a house with an icky predator as it's mascot? I thought so! Deer are much more majestic creatures.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I do appreciate Sothis being in the gay baby jail. Stop it already with child characters "that are in reality 1000 years old" being romance options.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Gonna make Byleth a Mortal Savant, and you can't stop me!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carlosologist posted:

Good catches, I'll edit those

This is really cool, thanks for the good work! I just want to point out that the weapon table for the Black Eagles says "Yellow highlight: Unit's preferred skill", yet the actual color used is red. Also, it's Seiros, not Serios.

I'm also getting more conflicted over which house I should start with. I still generally think the Golden Deer characters are better, but I like the stat/weapon proficiency distribution of the Blue Lions a bit more. And seeing how often the Crest of Gloucester shows up in various places, it seems like it would be pretty good to have Sylvain in your roster. But on the other hand, Lysithea apparently has the major Crest of Gloucester? And Sylvain only has the minor crest? And Sylvain had an older brother who was disinherited because he lacked a crest? Wtf is going on here? One thing's for sure, whether I choose Golden Deer of Blue Lions, I will do my best to recruit Sylvain or Lysithea, respectively.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ike and Soren were a couple, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if the students poached from the other houses will have supports with the students in your chosen house.

I think we already saw one student having supports with students from another house, but I can't find it again under the deluge of released information.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hellioning posted:

That makes sense, but if only Byleth can S support, that means that we can no longer ship characters in game.

Considering we've been able to do that for quite a while, to the point where three games have had it a as a central mechanic, it seems weird to me that they'd change that to entirely platonic supports. I mean, I guess you could say the same about the class system, but it seems like a drastic change.

When you have child units, shipping your units is a central mechanic. Since there are no child units in this game, s-rank supports are no longer necessary.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shiny777 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly easy to miss out on out-of-house recruits if you spread yourself too thin or something since it's sounding like one or two tops is about all you can manage to grab. I'd assume ruining your entire house'd probably take either incredibly bad luck with blind experimentation or a deliberate effort to pick every subject wrong, though.

Yeah, this. You have helpful green up arrows and red down arrows to show you how to skill your units. Some may be better served by unlocking a hidden potential, turning a weakness into a strength, thus unlocking an easier path to unorthodox class choices that might be better served with their growth. But I figure you will always get serviceable units if you simply go with each unit's strengths.

Recruiting specific members of other houses probably needs a guide, while I think you will likely meet at least one character's recruitment requirements by accident, no matter what you do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

I feel like you could deliberately focus on everyones weaknessses and have things turn out okay. The difference just seems to be how quickly they unlock new classes via weapon ranks, not some massive issue of stats. Like the e3 demo had the nintendo rep making Linhardt a cavalier just because and he was doing fine.

But Linhardt has no weakness in any of the cavalier proficiencies.

But you're right that the strength and weaknesses mainly determine how fast you can class change. I could imagine that somebody who has strengths in his class path's proficiencies could gain the ranks to pass the class exams before they reach level 15/20 for the higher tier classes, while somebody with weaknesses in them likely reaches those levels before being able to pass the exams. But there might be a reason to remain in a lower tier class anyway, since each character also has a level in each class he's unlocked, and you get the classes unique talent when you max level that class (max level is level 5). So even if you fulfill the requirements to advance to a higher tier class, you might want to remain in your current one until you get it's capstone talent, depending on how powerful said talent is.

It will be very interesting to see how big of an influence the strengths/weaknesses system really has on the class composition of your units.

Still 10 days until Three Houses comes out :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm glad personal skills are sticking around. Most aren't especially interesting but I enjoy the tiny bit of extra flavour they bring.

E: Wait this game has pair up?

To expand on this a bit, you can only begin to use pair up once your professor skill reaches a certain level (C I believe), and then it's only for one pairing. And you get one more pair for ever further level in your professor skill, meaning at most 3 pairs at rank A.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Araxxor posted:

Well this turned my verdict from "wait and see" to "stay the gently caress away!"

It's just one reviewer? Why not retain your "wait and see" attitude, and look how the thread regulars judge the game after playing it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

Just saw a vid from the guy from Easy Allies (former GameTrailersLive) who got a review copy discuss the game with his show co-hosts. To quote him:

quote:

This feels like a very, very grounded game. I think there was a lot of worry that with it being a school setting, that it would be more superficial, or kind of more fanservicy. That it would focus in like, gossip, relationships, things like that. And that's really not at all what it's like being in this monastery.

It is very much like. these people are at war. They're at school, so they can learn how to fight in this war. And it's a very scary thing that they're going to do. And in order to get through this education, to get through these battles, they have to really really focus. They have to understand who they are, why they're doing this. And there's a lot of world building around it. The game goes to great pains to explain like "this is what this region is. This is what this house is. This is their position in the world." And that's something I really like quite a bit about it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carlosologist posted:

I honestly don't see the big deal about FByleth's outfit. it's fine on the whole honestly

I hate it a lot, and MByleth's only saving grace is that his outfit is marginally better. Both Byleths have crappy default outfits.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mokinokaro posted:

One lore bit from the spoilers clarifies the situation with Rhea I think. Fairly minor spoiler.

The church itself is split into two factions which means Rhea and the others could be with the church but not be villains if things are going with the evil church twist.

That would make sense. It would also explain that spoiler-ish part of the trailers where Rhea seems to pull an Emmeryn. It could be the evil faction taking over the church?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Claude not being bi is a personal insult :mad:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zoran posted:

Post-timeskip mechanical spoilers:

All four lords do get unique classes. Edelgard has Armored Lord (with armor movement, boo!) and Byleth gets a special infantry class with a name that might be extra spoilery. It seems fairly obvious that Dmitri will have a horse and that Claude will indeed ride a wyvern.

No confirmation on what they specialize in, although the odds-on favorites would be Authority, their respective default weapon types, and their respective movement types. Since Byleth's class is infantry, it might have a third specialization in something else; I would guess Faith, Byleth's hidden talent.

I didn't bother looking up Byleth's unique class name. But somebody who has a deep connection to Sothis, who may or may not be the goddess, somebody who's crest is the Fire Emblem, somebody who wields the Sword of the Creator, and who also has a hidden talent in Faith... it would be just logical that their special class has a focus in faith magic.

e: fixed spoiler failure :doh:

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not getting that impression at all. What gives you the idea she'll be more prominent?

Did you see the trailer where she was shown in a cutscene, fighting against Byleth, wielding Seiros' sword?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Koth posted:

I've caught some of the visual leaks, and I'm just amazed that Bernadetta apparently gained 6 inches during the timeskip, despite already being 17 prior. She goes from just about the shortest person in the game at 4'11" to a rather decent 5'5".

I also caught some of the visual leaks, and I'm deeply disappointed that Dorothea loses her hat after the timeskip :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geostomp posted:

Most of these are obvious, but where does Claude getting a wyvern come form? I never saw him as the "giant death lizard" sort. Have we ever had an archer wyvern rider before?

I don't think we had archer wyverns. But new combinations are always cool.

Claude getting a wyvern was one of the more interesting details in the Thanibomb leaks from a few months back.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tipps posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that the MM romance options in new FE games seem to be trending towards the stereotype that only effeminate looking men can be gay.

They should learn a thing or two from Stardew Valley and just make everyone horny for everyone else, regardless of gender.

E: Granted, having now seen the post-time skip art for the men, none of them are particularly catching my eye anyways. Not a single Gerrik or Vaike in the bunch. :saddowns:

I was actually going to praise IS a bit for the MM options. Alois is a clearly adult man, not an anime pretty boy like most other FE characters. Gilbert is an older guy, but some people like those, too. Even though you're forced to play an anime pretty boy, at least you had some more diverse options. Not sure how I feel about Linhardt, I can't tell at a glance if they're male or female. But there are fans of androgynous characters as well, so it's all right.

Of course, if your S-support with Alois really is non-romantic and forces you to marry a woman at the end, that's just beyond the pale. Also, what kind of bullshit is Claude not being bi, especially with that dance/ball cutscene where they wink at you and then appear to lead MByleth to the dance floor?? The non-Byleth A-supports do actually seem to contain some acceptable MM parings, so that's cool. But they apparently really hosed up MByleth's same-sex romances, apart from Linhardt, which is just really annoying. Especially since they already did pretty badly with Fates.

IF they had done Linhardt, Alois and Gilbert right, I would be satisfied. They don't really appeal to me visually (with Alois being the most attractive imo), but at least they're a diverse sort of characters. And the few snippets of Alois conversations I've seen made him seem pretty sympathetic. And since Fates already had a more conventionally handsome gay option in Niles, I'm content if some game's gay options don't appeal to me, as long as there are varied characters to choose from.

But I agree with you that we could do with more classically masculine gay options. And it's difficult to have hopes for the next game, since Linhardt seems to be the classical effeminate gay, while Alois looks like an anti-gay option :(

That said, the everyone-is-bi stuff in Dragon Age 2 fulfilled it's purpose, but at the cost of making the romances basically genderless. The romances you had with a character were basically the same, whether you played as FHawke or MHawke. I vastly prefer Dragon Age: Inquisition's explicitly gay options.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

the thing in da2 where anders' ex was the same gender as whatever your player character was was honestly super gross

That's one of the things I meant, yeah. Those were not queer characters, they were just playersexual. Josephine's romance in Inquisition never making any reference to your gender was also a bad way to do a bisexual character. Dorian struggling with a homophobic father was so much better. I also liked Sera's romance, even if Sera herself was not always well received.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For those that are curious about the spells, the Serenes Forest page is here: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/learned-spells/

Too bad their spell description page is incredibly sparse, missing a lot of information. It's kind of tough to compare characters if you're not 100% sure what the spells do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm switching to Blue Lions, because they are apparently the most gay of all the houses. Gotta poach Linhardt for my Byleth though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randallteal posted:

Are there gay supports in Fire Emblem? I thought the Fates options were just bi, and only for the MC.

On a sidenote, a trope I've really started hating is when a game will have exactly one bi character and they're portrayed like they're just so horny that they'll gently caress anyone, especially when that character creeps on their straight friends the whole game as a joke.

Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn had a gay dude as their main protagonist, that was pretty cool.