Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Warren is killing it

And there it is, hand raised to kill private insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Jurgan posted:

Be patient. She’s easily qualifying for the next few debates.

Yeah this is her moment to shine, next round will be when she can shank Biden's regressive rear end.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i'm 100% legit asking, is there evidence that indicates that latinx people appreciate bad spanish instead of finding it insanely condescending?

My understanding is that yes, they tend to appreciate the effort.

I mean it is being simulcast on Telemundo

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

When Klobuchar talks my mind automatically starts wandering to other important subjects like if I need to do any laundry.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Tim Ryan literally complained that "terrorists" in Guantanamo are treated too well

I'd point out that isn't exactly what he said, but gently caress Tim Ryan.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Maddow: shut up Delaney

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

gently caress off, Prosecutor Klobuchar

Contemplating laundry again

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Tulsi is doing a great job of dragging Ryan, makes her being up there worth it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The correct answer to geopolitical threat is white supremacy, it's the root of all of the rest.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Convergence posted:

White supremacy caused climate change, huh? Looking forward to that explanation.

White supremacy has been the tool that the Right has used to maintain political control and is fueling regressive the political movements that are preventing even acknowledgement of it being a problem much less any action on it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

what was Warren’s answer to the question? I missed it

Climate change

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

congratulations to the 47th president of the united states, Elizabeth Warren

Warren is the anti-Reagan and I love her for it. Her government is the solution not the problem message is great.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

gohmak posted:

Insley has a dope climate plan and Castro immigration. Keep them both around.

Insley EPA
Castro DHS (or whatever we call it after abolishing ICE)

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Booker's post game debrief was good. "I'd be happy with Biden as my VP" oh and yes gun registration is Constitutional." Which I fully agree with. A ban would require a Constitutional amendment and good loving luck enforcing that in a country with more guns than people*.

*it'll be a lot easier to seize them if there is a database of where they are.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

"wait, she's from here?"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Love all the "woke" leftists making GBS threads on a candidate for centering an oppressed community in a debate.

Seriously Beto is lovely in a lot of ways (dodging the actual question for example) but speaking Spanish in a national debate while Spanish speaking refugees are being abused in concentration camps ain't one of them.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's a fuckin Irishman who has a fake latinx nickname to help him in local politics, piss the gently caress off

And you wonder why minorities look at the "left" sideways

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

Dude, are you trolling? Or do you just have your head terminally up your own rear end? The guy had no good answers the whole night and clearly whipped out the Spanish right up front, I think, in a lame attempt at pandering. I'm glad to have candidates that speak multiple languages, hell, our president barely speaks his own fluently. But knowing another language and demonstrating as such does not substitute for not having any good policies nor providing any compelling reasons to vote for you.

No I'm not trolling, I'm trying to point out that piling on a lovely candidate for reaching out to marginalized groups in their own language is a bad look for a group that is supposed to be about solidarity and a stupid and frankly unleftist move, Dog him out because he dodged the question not because he dodged it in Spanish ffs. How is this so loving hard to understand?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I think Spanish-speakers are smart enough to tell the difference between someone who speaks Spanish, and someone who regurgitates poorly-memorized phrases that have nothing to do with the topic of conversation.

You sound like the kind of person who thinks waitstaff is impressed when you order "enchiladas verdes and a side of guac, por favor"

E: full disclosure, I do this

Do you know for a fact that he regurgitated poorly memorized phrases? I don't speak Spanish so I don't know, I assume that actual Spanish speakers will know whether or not he does rather than making an assumption based on my own personal feelings about the man and his politics and leave it up to them to make judgement rather than pretending that I know what their judgement should be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Condiv posted:

Isn’t it odd skex that no-one’s blasting Castro for speaking Spanish? I’d guess that’s because Castro actually knows the language worth a drat and wasn’t using some memorized lines in Spanish to pander

No one is bashing Castro because the never saw him as a threat to Bernie, I promise you if Bernie had "regurgitated poorly-memorized phrases that have nothing to do with the topic of conversation" in a debate the same people making fun of Beto would be praising Bernie for it. This is pure confirmation bias at work. You dislike Beto so you view everything he does negatively, you like Bernie so you give him the benefit of the doubt. It's normal natural human behavior but don't loving pretend that it's rational or reasonable.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

What if he dodged it by using Spanish as a shield? How is this so loving hard to understand? That's what he did. Tantrum about it all you like.

Then I leave it to Spanish speakers to decide how they feel about it rather than trying to project my own animus on the matter, I don't like him because he completely dodged the question (among other things) and that's enough for me not to vote for him, besides it's been clear for months that he's not getting the nod so it really doesn't matter.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the gently caress do you expect literally everyone to be fluent in multiple languages when at best such education shows up for maybe an hour/day for a year or two in high school?

Because as much as the "leftists" here complain about the team aspect of politics, those complaints are just as performative as Beto's use of Spanish in the debate last night. Witness all of the "Warren is wishywashy on MFA because she's open to less comprehensive options if it isn't possible at the moment" despite her hand rocketing up in response not to a question about support for MFA but for supporting the elimination of private insurance. The "Left" itt don't argue in any more good faith than the Right does.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Biden sounds loving drunk

He's Sunsetting. He ain't all there and I really really hope that it becomes clear after this.

In other non news Hickenlooper is a jackass

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

This is disgraceful Gillibrand white knighting the principles of capitalism vs allegations of greed

More like "oh no you're gonna piss off our masters"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Yang, right idea, wrong implementation. VATs are sales taxes are regressive by nature.

Oh snap, Swalwell just dunked on Biden hard. Makes it worth having him on the stage.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

What did swalwell say

"pass the torch already you old fucks"

Make way, make way.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Biden has the same effect on me that Klobuchar does, mind just can't focus on his bullshit.

Torch him Bernie!

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Williamson is vapid as gently caress.
"we don't win on plans, Trump won on make America great again, so we have to dig deep into the issue" followed by a bunch of new age word salad.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

At least they all raised their hands for covering immigrants too.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Keep rambling Biden

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

MadJackal posted:

Gillenbrand is the Delaney if this debate and should be shut down much more fiercely than this “Let her butt in and answer everything first” BS.

Gillibrand is much better than Delaney, even if she isn't sincere in her motives she is making good arguments against the typical centrist arguments.

Delaney was pretty much just a medical industry lobbyist.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

oh man. I like williamson but she's way too rambly

I don't, she has a con artist vibe to me.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Bernie being mediocre is disappointing but lol if you think anyone cares about things that aren’t SLAY KWEEN HARRIS tomorrow.

He's doing well, most of the stage is promoting his policies and he's high enough in the race at this point that he's best off not making a mistake and let Biden take all of the heat.

The first goal is to shank Biden and Kamala and the also rans are taking care of that.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Swalwell's pass the torch point would land a lot better if he wasn't pushing yesterday's policies.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Marianne is the Trump of the race.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Here's my 2 night debate 2 cents. (Purely on their performances, I'm still voting Bernie)

Biden hosed up BAD. The illusion of him as the "frontrunner" is gone and everyone who's been predicting he'd fall apart under scrutiny now have some real ammo. Next debate should be a bloodbath and his team should be freaking the gently caress out.

Bernie did bad. Not bad enough to hurt him, but bad enough that his team should be reworking their strategy for the next debate.

Harris and Warren elevated themselves from the pack and up to the Bernie/Biden pool. Harris probably did more than Warren but Warren was in a better position going in.

Beto and Mayor Pete showed they were all hype and couldn't hang at this level. They should end it before they hurt themselves further.

Castro, Booker, and Gillenbrand are probably safely in the "VP" pool.

Inslee, de Blasio, and Klobaucher probably did enough not to kill their campaigns but they should still go home because they're probably not even VP contenders.

Everyone else should apologize for wasting our time and go home.

And replace Chuck Todd with Chris Hayes.

Good read especially that last point.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Am I the only one thinking that Gillibrand was auditioning for Bernie's running mate?

It would actually be a good pairing, Bernie's, problem is that he's old and that means that his brain isn't as flexible as it was when he was younger, which explains how he's good with his stump speaches but isn't that adaptable. It's not a dig on him it's just a reality of getting old.

Having a younger more flexible running mate who can deal with things more dynamically would be good for him and Gillibrand taking the time to flesh out the transition part of the MFA plan was a good example of her doing exactly that.

If she's sincere in her left shift then being Bernie's VP would be a good way for her to earn some credibility with the base that she's something more than an opportunistic weather vane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

LinYutang posted:

Warren even gave the right answer yesterday: pass a federal bill that protects abortion. Bernie falling back on the Medicare for All stump speech was cringe.

I heard that as Bernie saying that abortion was already protected by the MFA bill. Which means that it was an even better answer in that he was saying that he's already put legislation forward to enshrine the right in law.