Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My gates are ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Still don't know if I'm gonna dive in with Astro or White Mage. Astro skills look so cool and WHM skills don't look as good as Stone 4 and Aero 3.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ManSedan posted:

I want to get into this game again- I previously played back during ARR but didn’t get very far. Around the time Stormblood came out I got HW on sale and boosted my dude to 50 and played for a while more. Im getting the itch to reinstall, but I’m torn between starting all over from 1 and slogging through ARR or continuing from where I am, which is somewhere in Ishgard and completely overwhelmed by buttons.

If actions are overwhelming you, you have a couple good options:
Run a few low level dungeons, increasing level as you relearn the skills.
Pop into Palace of the Dead and run a few tiers, regaining your skills as you level inside.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a jump potion for my CNJ, just to be done with the msq?

Because using a jump potion on your CNJ won't finish the MSQ.

e: There's a separate story skip potion you need for MSQ stuff. Job potions only give you job + appropriate gear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DontMindMe posted:

drat, it was nice to inner release -> Steel Cyclone so the white mage was free to holy spam on trash.

Popping that with Nascent Flash should still do similar.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ReWinter posted:

I skipped most of SB, did SAM end up in as weak a place as people say/ does it look to be getting any better with ShB?

SAM's main, if not only, weakness was their lack of raid utility. They were second to Black Mage in damage, so their personal dps was fine. I know a few SAM mains that were quite successful in raiding, but they did have a stimga from the meta-comp only crowd.

They're great to play though. They were super mobile, and had a rapid pace without going into stupid Mech or Ninja burst phases.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

and realistically, in certain fights a samurai being able to dump a whole bunch of damage on something in a short period of time was a utility in and of itself.

Yeah. One thing I'm looking forward to is doing this during a single Trick window:

Kaiten Midarre Setsugekka, Hissatsu: Senei, Kaeshi: Setsugekka, Meikyo Shisui -> Kasha, Kaiten Higanbana.

If my math is right, that's 6712 potency in 4 GCDs.

You can probably throw a Shoha in there, as well as using Ikishoten to dump a couple Shintens as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're both pretty tall so it might not be a huge change.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

That's actually what I meant to say.
I guess if I do so, I miss out on doing any dungeon that's required to do during that climb to 60?

A story skip will unlock every dungeon required to progress through the MSQ, up until the point you've skipped to. You can still go back and queue for them later, as well as any optional dungeons that weren't required.

If you use a job boost, you'll skip all the job quests, and be unable to redo them (until new game + maybe?)

Rhonne posted:

Didn't someone post a height chart way back in the last thread?

Found a reddit thread with comparison images: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bt5gcw/race_height_comparison_female/

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gorelab posted:

I feel dragon guys look cool but I can't get over the stupid run animation.

Get around run animations by having your weapon drawn at all times.

That's how I deal with midlander life.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mymla posted:

Have you considered playing a good race

Good wasn't good enough, so I picked the best.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Didn't realize today was OPPOSITE DAY!

*laugh track, fade to black*

I need protect back

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Alder posted:

Debating if I want to wake up early for patch or just embrace the few days before my 2nd summer classes begin soon. I do want to level DRK but tanks always rely on gear and RDM is my most well-geared job atm :sigh:

I wonder if we'll finally get that free 3rd retainer since both mines has been full since HW. Also, more inv slots since I need ALL the glams.

As long as you don't so some jank like wear your 70 gear all the way to 80 you'll probably be on the better side of tank gear.

And between MSQ and automatic dungeon rewards, as long as your DRK is in decent shape now I doubt it will be a problem. Run an extra dungeon or two to make sure if you need to.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kuvo posted:

you, an idiot: im going to take friday off so i can play shadowbringers when the servers come up!

me, enlightened: im going to take monday off so i can play shadowbringers when the servers come up!

I did both.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looks like PC version is downloading too.

e: ok, nevermind. Just a 230 MB update. Can't get the full patch yet.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 28, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SirSamVimes posted:

So, me and my girlfriend always played WoW together for expansion launches, doing quests together in a party. We've both quit WoW because it's bad now, how does questing in a party work for XIV? Or would it just be kind of pointless?

Super pointless. You'll run to the same town, talk to people, have your own cutscene, run to an area, disband the group to have a solo encounter, and then continue.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can't get stuck on Raubahn ex if you can't patch.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I got AST to 80 and did some 80 things.

And well, this job is way better than it ever has been from a gameplay perspective. The cards require way more decision making, especially since you can easily get 3 or 4 cards going at the same time. Celestial Intersection is love, and Horoscope is surprisingly potent, and useful with the amount of "eat a continual bunch of aoe" mechanics there are. Playing AST since 3.0 and have never had this much fun. AST is way higher apm than it ever has been, and I'm glad I went AST over WHM first.

Pros, condensed:
Cards - everything about them. More actions, more decisions, no loving OG spire or ewer.
Celestial Intersection - My favourite new AST skill. Low cooldown and great ability for an oGCD. The shield stacks with Galvanize and Divine Benison.
Celestial Opposition - The regen stacks with other regens, and the shield stacks with other shields.
Horoscope - Doesn't say the potency on it, but it's probably 400-500. Get a ton of use out of it.
Never had any MP issues with sloppy Lucid usage.

If I have any complaints, it's that:
Dps wise I'm way less potent than my 72 WHM.
Celestial Opposition feels weak for the CD time (120)
Collective Unconsciousness is the worst bubble

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 1, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shy posted:

I don't like how WHM stone and air are upgraded to unaspected abilities.
Everything else, I like. I'm definitely staying with bunnygirl, dancer is fun, the story is much more interesting than stormblood

Yeah. My biggest complaint is how I lost my metronome. I no longer get this constant *crunch* *crunch* *crunch* every 2.3 seconds.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

how exactly can cards be MORE complex now and require more decision making? you just slap the melee cards on melee and ranged on ranged and minor arcana until you get that big CD thingy

You didn't really have any decisions to make originally. It was either RR spire/ewer, and play a balance/spear/arrow, or do something wrong. Maybe an extended balance or a bole in 4 mans, but 99% of the time that was it. Just mash that on cooldown. Maybe the stars align and you get your AoE Bole right before a potential raid wipe AoE, but you probably just have a spire waiting for you.

I'm spending more time now matching or holding the proper cards for people close to or using their own CDs, buffing people before they re-DoT, debating burning redraws or early Minor Arcanas if I get an unfavourable seal or even prioritizing things when a Sleeve Draw comes up. When a trick window opens, and I have Sleeve Draw for 4 cards on deck, do I balance the priority melee first, or do I expect a duplicate seal coming that I can RR into a better card for him? Is it even worth carding second place during trick, or should I save it for the BLM after his first card expires? And so on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Burn's great, and I think a reason for that is even when you outgear the place, the last boss can still gently caress a party up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

I'm still trying to internalize which cards go on melee/tank and which go on ranged/healer

The old good cards go on melee, the old bad cards go on ranged. That's what I do.

There is an indicator on the gauge too. Can't look it up right now obviously, but I think there's a yellow icon beside melee cards, and a blue beside ranged.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Speaking of Stormblood, my wife is stuck on the Lakshmi solo fight and she just can't seem to figure out how to kill all the stupid tempering balls. I've tried to get her past that into the actual fight part but she mains Bard and I haven't even touched it yet so I don't know what any of her buttons do (and the one time she made it to the fight herself she lost to the tempering balls during the fight part). Short of just buying the Stormblood MSQ skip, does anyone have any advice for her other beyond "git gud"?

I can't actually remember that trial very well, but as with most trials, if 'git gud' isn't an option, getting gear is. Just grab a few 390 poetics upgrades and just ilvl through the encounter.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is the maintenance over yet, cause I'm starting to get the shakes and cold sweats.

It was only a quick maintenance. Come get your fix.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

Question from a new tank:

How do you know when you need to tank swap in a trial/raid? Is it usually a pretty obvious mechanic or is it something that usually requires some foreknowlege of a fight?

You'll need to learn, but in most cases it's as simple as putting a debuff, or a stacking debuff, on the current tank that will gently caress him up if a swap doesn't happen.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

Thanks for the tank swap explanations, everyone. It's good to know I won't have to worry about the mechanic until I'm 80 and getting into non-story/non-dungeon stuff, so I can learn tanking basics first.

Unrelated question: if you use a level boost, can you get level 60/70 AF gear? I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a level boost but in case I'm tempted I don't want to use one on a job where I really want those AF sets and might miss out.

The 60 AF gear can be bought by Centurio Seals. The 70 might be available at a calamity salvager,

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, super duper end game spoilers here DO NOT loving MOUSE OVER THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE MSQ I SWEAR TO GOD

Am I correct in thinking that the Warrior of Light is an unwoken Ascian? Not just that, but the game implies "you" were the missing 14th Ascian who dissented against summoning Zodiark. So that could possibly mean that the Warrior of Light created Hydalaen, not the other way around.

I have to say the ending was far more interesting than anything I could have imagined.

That's what I gathered.

You, Ardbert, and probably a warrior of light from each shard are the remnants of the soul of the Ascian who summoned Hydaelin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

Standard Finish buffs from 2+ dancers don't stack, right? I was in a trial last night where two dancers both made the SAM their partner instead of giving it to the other dps and that felt like a waste to me unless they knew something I didn't.

And the entire full party sans the dancers were partied with me so it wasn't like they queued up together ors something

I think it's like dragonsight. It will proc their own buff, but the target will only have the effect of one.

The first few dancers I grouped with in ShB didn't even have a dance partner. Amazing display so far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has anyone else noticed tanks pulling like weirdos?

Most of my runs have been the tank will run up to a group, combo for 3 or 4 gcds, then abruptly run off to collect another.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

Yes, and it's loving infuriating. I seriously cannot wrap my head around what logic's driving them to do it, but it's making me grind my teeth every time I pop Presence + Thin Air and have half of their durations wasted because the lizard part of the tank's brain suddenly snapped on. Either pull everything or don't, dude! gently caress!!!

Just had a run where tank grabbed a group, and stayed with it for a bit. Dropped star, ninja dropped doton, and summoner dropped their garuda thing. Tank just sprinted off afterwards.

CeallaSo posted:

I've had more dungeons than not where the tank decided to wall pull everything. Like, this is brand new content dude, chill out.

I'm the best motherfucking healer on Earth so I can handle it, but it's still stressful.

I don't mind the wall to walls. Only a couple hairy pulls right now unless the tank is wearing cardboard. It's just that they end up pulling wall to wall but don't commit after the first group and a bunch of cds are used.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just got out of an expert roulette and the tank didn't have his AF set. He was in mostly 412/418 poo poo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechaX posted:

So I just reached the north part of the Eulmore region map and reached 78, just doing random quests at the moment.

The story has been pretty strong and solid so far, but without spoilers, when can I expect things to really start getting crazy here?

Every step from here on will be crazier than the last.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blast of Confetti posted:

im doing the 77 dungeon at about 3/4 to 79. will the MSQ be enough to get me to 70 or should I MSQDR

Never MSQDR.

But that dungeon will probably be close to a quarter level anyways. Round it out with some fates or hunts, but don't subject yourself to MSQDR.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

zelah posted:

Dang. I wanted to give this a try and started the free trial but there’s a 3,000+ queue to log on. Is that normal or do trial accounts get very low priority logging on? Tried two different worlds and it’s the same thing.

There have been server issues mass kicking people off, there's an emergency maintenance tonight, and accounts without subscriptions are in a low priority queue for a while.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, I love the positionals for monk. Even though the whole thing is pretty rote, it feels more dynamic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Regarding a post-credits scene, I have a theory about how things in Garlemald are going to go down.

Varis dying is going to cause a War of Succession, of course. In the chaos, the Ascians will likely mold that into turning Garlemald's prayers for a new emperor to quell the in-fighting into a Primal version of Varis, ala the final boss of Final Fantasy II.

Post-MSQ spoiler
Garleans have no capability to manipulate aether, so being able to summon a primal would be surprising. I think it's more a way to remove Garlemald from the world-ending threat, with Zenos back on the hunt and an Elidibus squad being formed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firstborn posted:

Do people still do the FFT content still? I'm super psyched about that.

These are part of a very busy roulette with good rewards, so they're always being done.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Almost every mechanic is also introduced in a failure-proof setting, so you can see what it does without wiping. It only later during the fight starts combining mechanics to be dangerous.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tainen posted:

Is there a way to force change instances? I am trying to finish a quest in 2.3 and a hunt creature spawned right on top of the objective.

Any main aetherite should have a change instance option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blast of Confetti posted:

i can manage every mechanic except the level 77 final boss cross one. apparently straight lines gently caress me up

stand on the feather that's next charging, until you go all the way around, then switch between s and se