Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jealous of you all who have been able to play the game so far! :argh:

So can't wait for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spellman posted:

Mario Galaxy Maker for cool physics and Yoshi's Island-style levels

For real, it'd be awesome if the following were added as (obviously 2D or 2.5D) styles:

Mario Galaxy
Sunshine
Mario 64
SMB2 USA (I have to specify USA, since all y'all are already making way more heinous poo poo than the ACTUAL SMB2)
Mario Land
Yoshi's Island

Am I forgetting anything that isn't bullshit like Hotel Mario or Mario is Missing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OK, if you can only have 32 downloaded courses at once (lame, btw, that number should be super high), are you at least able to favourite or star certain levels or creators? When I get this game next week, I want to play through the invitational levels, or at least keep them sort of bookmarked. Is there a way to do that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can someone recreate this whole level?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVClNM4xJk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Haha the one level I made last night has more likes and more plays than all of my Super Mario Maker 1 levels put together

That's the best way to iterate; a massive game sequel should contain all of the previous version, and then some.

See: Legend of Zelda 1 vs Zelda 2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

What's the download size for the e-Shop version? I'm not sure I have enough space :ohdear:

Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 gb. Maybe 2.8?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

this would be great!

i feel like a i need to do a madlib or else i just put everything in

I think I'm going to ask my wife and/or son for random suggestions, and then do that. I won't even tell them what is possible, and just try my best to match their request.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ColdPie posted:

*If you are really old, you may also remember my long-dead Goon WiiDB for sharing original Wii friend codes.

Holy poo poo.

I am really old :corsair:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just bought this game and I can't wait to play EVERYTHING posted here. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Puzz your own room
YH7-2LC-1GF
A puzzle room with multiple solutions.

Your title inspired a level idea where it's a puzzle, you have to avoid falling upwards into a pit, while dealing with negative gravity. Maybe the puzzle involves purposely falling upwards into a certain opening, where the others would kill you.

Puz my Neg Hole.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

This is a god damned joy to play and I can’t wait to have my 6yo boy give it a crack.

Quoting this so I can check it out later, specifically due to this quick review here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Remember how in some Mario 3/World levels, even when you were flying up, the screen didn't move? Is there any way to replicate that?

Getting the flute in Smb3 fortress is a prime example of this.

Also, are those huge white blocks (SMB3 palette) in the game, that let you go behind the scenery?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe Scroll stopping blocks

What do you mean by this? I know you can put a line of blocks from one end to the other to stop the camera, but is there a non-block way to do it, without preventing the player from going up?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

Yeah, don't put anything above the horizontal screen divider and the screen won't follow Mario into the sky.

The white blocks are there but trying to hold down will just make Mario do a little hop as if to say "I get what you wanted to do but we can't do that here". Of course someone's already figured out how to make that into a little Kaizo gimmick of its own.

Ah, ok, thanks, and that makes sense. Glad that functionality (the screen thing) is there.

Also, here's a little secret idea I just had: hidden blocks that are floating in the second space above the ground, in an area where the player is likely going to be Super. They'd have to know to duck in order to hit the block. Obviously, you'd just want one or two, and not box the player in completely.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, remember that level in SMB3, I think it was in world 7, where you can chain together star power ups, but only if you're fast enough , otherwise the star will be another power up?

Does that gimmick exist in this game? Holy poo poo, tomorrow night can't come soon enough. I want to try this poo poo out for myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Finally got to play the game, played Dieting Hippo's SMB3 send up of big vs small, and played some Story Mode.

I LOVED that the level named "The Keymaster" was a ghost level. :swoon:

You goons have the tools, and you have the talent. It's 'Millah' time!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Couple things:

1) ok, so due to endless mode, it DOES make sense to hide 1-ups throughout a level? I mean, a normal amount of course. I figure otherwise, 1-ups are completely and totally pointless.

2) I would absolutely love it if you were able to email a screenshot from your Switch, instead of forcing a social media post/tweet. To prevent spam, they could limit the recipient to whatever email address is tied to your My Nintendo account. Why hasn't this been done? :psyduck:

3) I loving LOVE this game. You corrected me on Twitter at the top of this very page, Dieting Hippo, but I just have to reiterate how much I loved that SMB3-style Big/Small level. It felt like it was right out of the original game. :allears: I starred that creator immediately, but haven't been able to check out the rest of their levels. I can't wait to get into making my own, but I feel weird about doing that before I at least finish Story Mode, which I also love.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 2, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait someone did a zelda level here? Aw heck. I'm painstakingly trying to make one based off a OoT dungeon and now worried I'm ripping it off D:

Doesn't matter, don't stop, keep making it! If anything, it'll be interesting to see your take on it vs theirs, seeing as though you didn't even know of their level before deciding to make yours. Don't play theirs until you're done, either!

Always be making Mario levels. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kirios posted:

I can't play it right now since I'm stuck at work, but this is a hella ambitious project! It makes my level on trying to rebuild Bob-omb Battlefield look tame in comparison.

I plan on taking the easy way out with remaking all of SMB2 but with enhanced SMM2 gimmicks and tools.

Oh god, it's going to take so long :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm weird and actually want to get used to editing with the controller, and I believe I started doing this while undocked. However, once I tried touch controls, I don't seem to have the option to go back to the controller. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to go back to using the controller?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

General question for you all; how possible would it be to remake SMB2 (USA)'s 1-1? Can we have more than one sub area? How the hell am I supposed to do that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Couple things I didn't realize at first, but now REALLY appreciate about this game:

A) You can not only save your Endless mode progress whenever you want, but also separately based on difficulty! Neat!

2) You can somewhat easily track down a great level you loved in Endless, so as to download it or at least save the code! In Course World, if you press X or Y (whatever one is next to your Mii), it'll show your whole profile, including levels you've played and/or liked. This might be nothing to other people, maybe they already knew, but holy poo poo, is this helpful. I played an awesome train level, and didn't screenshot the code beforehand, thinking I could just do it later. I couldn't, from Endless mode, but easily found it on my profile. So happy.

Does anyone know how far back your play history goes?

Again, these are likely things everyone already knows, and that's fine. I'm just sharing the love of this game, because I truly, truly love this game.

I seriously don't need another Switch game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the backgrounds of the 3D theme, but everything else about that style bugs me (aside from the clear pipes). I think it's because everything seems way too big.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope one of the updates adds an extra sub-level for making levels. I think that would open up the possibilities immensely, and I don't just say this as someone who wants to remake SMB 2 1-1 :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I'd like to congratulate everyone on creating 500 levels.

Whoa :psyduck: That's crazy! Yes, congrats! That means that, if you were to simply stick to just Goon-made levels, you'd still have 5x the content of a regular Mario game (yes, I know the quality varies in SMM2).

And we're literally a week after release. That's insane in the best way possible :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, while I continue with my SMB2 (USA) remake attempt, I'm learning that doors don't work between your level and sub level?! What the hell is that nonsense about?

This version of 1-1 is going to be... something, and it'll likely be the only one like that that I do, which is probably for the best. After this, I'll probably just make an original level.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/CyclonX_/status/1145178278136700928?s=19

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

^^^^ drat, your code almost starts with N64

For your consideration:

No plays yet, so get in on the ground floor, goons! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

I had a good time playing it! There's a lot of enemies in some spots but also plenty of forgiveness with the power-ups so it was pretty quick and fun romp with some light platforming. Good stuff!

Thanks! Our son is 4 and very much wanted ALL of the goombas there. Got mad at my wife for adding sfx.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

I made a new level inspired by World 2 of SMB3, this time with multiple routes!

SMB3 Revival: Sandworks 2P3-1W4-PCG

I will play this level when I can, but the pipe maze that it looks like you're going for in this screenshot is actually from World 7 (I believe).

Sorry for the :goonsay: but I AM looking forward to checking it out!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the pipes and brick combos are used a fair bit to make big wide channels in a few levels in w2, that plus the desert theme is pretty on-brand

Very true. Like I said, I had a sudden moment of :goonsay: and now I feel dirty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

If anyone feels like their level has been largely overlooked here, please quote this post along with your code and level name, and I'll play it and give it a mini-review later today. (Note: I'm not an expert at Mario, so I may not be able to complete super-hard levels.) On average, levels here are far better than those on endless!

Sure thing, I'd love to know your thoughts on my level!

Super Ardio World

GHF-T7X-WKG

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

In general, I enjoyed the level. The difficulty was about right, the first area gave a nice SMB2 vibe, and I liked the descending section in the clown car. My main suggestions would be to focus more on one particular theme. This means focusing on specific (and fewer) enemy types and challenges, and having a consistent style to the level. As it was, there were a whole lot of different things going on in the level (lots of enemy types and block types and challenges) and it felt a little unfocused. Also, boss characters should be saved for special occasions, so don't just scatter them through the level. For example, Bowser starts to lose a bit of special-ness if he just appears in the middle of a level and you can run through him with a star. Also, this is minor, but I didn't understand the point of the room with the Koopa and the on/off switch. I saw a hidden door there, but I wasn't sure if I could do anything with it. Overall, though, I had fun, and the level kept surprising me.

I liked that you mainly focused on a single concept, and the platforming was simple but interesting enough to be engaging. I had a couple stupid deaths on the blue platform under the pipe, though, because I was on the right side of the platform grabbing a shell when a Koopa came out and immediately swung towards me. Having an enemy emerge right beside you and kill you isn't much fun, so I would encourage you to playtest your level more to look out for situations like this. One simple fix would be adding a mushroom box to the beginning of the level to give players some margin for error, especially if you want to make an easy-going level like the description suggestions. Also, maybe this was intentional, but you can actually skip most of the on/off box interactions. After you hit the first box once to get over the first platform, you can hop on a Koopa to get over the second obstacle and just do a running jump to skip the third. That's how I beat the level in 17 seconds (WR!). Perhaps this was intentional on your part (if so, good job!), but if you want players to interact with your challenges in a specific way, make sure they can't simply jump over them. The level was short, but I enjoyed it.

Thanks for this! Yeah, I absolutely am with you on the enemies, that 'crazy' part was pretty much my wife following a lot of my son's directions (we originally had just as many goombas falling from the sky!)

The room with the on/off switch and hidden door was a shortcut to one of the red keys, to allow the player to skip the downward tunnel. Otherwise, you have to go to the sub level just to get that last red key.

To answer J Spot, that part with the vine (both parts with the vine, really) were intended simply as homages to similar areas in 1-1 of SMB2 USA. That's all :shobon:

Thanks for the review!

Edit: this might help make sense of it? That part in the lower right.

http://www.mariouniverse.com/wp-content/img/maps/nes/smb2/1-1.png

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

Nice Course
2YK-N4T-MVG

A course for nice people only, with no enemies or hazards, except for endless pits. How fast can you beat it? Try to find the secret.

*I guess it technically has enemies, but only fake ones.

You've inspired me to make an enemy-free zone, and just have general hazards throughout. Thanks!

Looking forward to trying yours out!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fortis posted:

I got excited when I figured out you could replicate the bowser fight from SMB3 so I tried making a final level type castle course: Father & Son Fortress.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1147997019484540929

Just played this and loved it.

Goons, play this level. VERY well done.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I made a maze of clear pipes.

I'm sorry.

Arden's Pipe Maze Craze
L5F-QLW-BKF

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need a MM2 browsing and bookmarking app or site like crazy.

I want to queue up levels and check my stats while away from my Switch, but I can't :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 8, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vegastar posted:

It's almost like nintendo has an entire Nintendo Online app for phones that does gently caress all nothing except lovely VOIP and a Splatoon store.

Haha, I just checked out the app for the second time since getting my Switch, and wow... Splatoon and Smash, two games I don't own (but likely will someday), a voice chat option, and literally nothing else. Ugh.

I can't wait for the next SMM2-related update to come out, and I hope that adding a bookmark site or that functionality to the official app happens. Also, I was checking out the subreddit after watching Ceave's video about how to get more plays for your level, and man, it'd be awesome if an "Endless New" and maybe an "Endless Haunted" were implemented into Course World. "New" would specifically cater to any and all levels that haven't gotten enough plays for their difficulty to be judged and therefore aren't being put into other endless modes. "Haunted" could be for levels that were boo'd, and have some sort of chance to get played. It's possible that good but difficult levels are getting boo'd too harshly and this gives them a second chance.

This would open up the potential for hot garbage to get liked Ironically, but that's also already a possibility, so maybe it's moot :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

I have a hunch they do this on purpose to save new features for the next Mario Maker game.

This, but maybe it's for an upcoming patch and/or DLC to re-ignite interest in the game. Like how people have predicted that the SNES games will start to be released around Sept, when everyone's subscriptions might be auto-cancelled, now they'd be renewed for those games.

Then again, not having NSO and therefore not being able to download and share levels in SMM2 would suck a lot, and there are already a LOT of people doing both of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Lobster posted:

I haven't built on that theme yet but I know it lacks a lot of things. Does it have the key/key door? That's a very good solution.

It does have the keys (like collecting the red ones to get the real one, or just flat out getting the real one) and key doors.