Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Alright, my first Mario Maker 2 stage:

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs
YYQ-D3X-HRG

A sanctuary amidst the clouds for Bob-Ombs. Enjoy some relaxing coin-o-therapy with the help of our friendly Thwomp attendants.
(And please don't mind me playing around with what the swinging claws can do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

So this had a lot of really neat and well designed areas but my god do not put in traps that require major backtracking. The level already borders on too long without that poo poo.

Thanks for giving it a play! Is there any part in particular that's the worst offender? I was hoping the big central area would be mitigated by the shortcut vines, at least, and that's the biggest potential one I can think of.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

I left a comment saying "this part is mean" or something like that at the first section I saw. If that's the part I was thinking of maybe I missed the shortcut vines and ended up going the wrong way. There was also a part when the thwomp is smashing through the level where I spotted a door and jumped off to go through it which took me back a ways. Maybe that door was part of an earlier bit of the level and I just didn't remember but I saw it and went for it.

Okay, yeah, it's totally that room. The note blocks have vines that reach the floor in case you fall. The coins beneath them are supposed to mean "hit this!", but it's a pretty vague way to convey it. They used to be ? blocks, which are a little more intuitive, but with a spiney helmet hidden in the level, I didn't want them to be accidentally broken. Still, I could've done more to keep them from being missed.

The Thwomp drop was a part I was really worried about. There's no good way to tell the player "just stay on the Thwomp", and only so much you can do with coins and arrows. I was hoping the repetition of the concept (crush Bob-Omb with Thwomp) would help enough, but it is a very tricky thing to convey, and meanwhile the player is taking in a lot fast and trying to figure out how not to die.
Anyway, thanks again!

And now it's time for another level:

Crossing Skullstone Canyon:
DVC-55J-84G

It's kind of a basic level. You need to get across the canyon, but the bridge is gone. SMW desert themed.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

Ooh, I really like the concept here, and the level does a nice sense of escalation. Would you mind if I took some inspiration from this and made a "hit switch for light" level of my own?

Doomykins posted:

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs (YYQ-D3X-HRG) by Otters: This is a truly great map and a great set of original ideas. One of the best creative claw courses. Very long but that lends itself to the concept, this is a huge and good one to explore.
Oh, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got a new level:

Hidden Castle of the Ninja Moles
NNQ-W0G-PRG

Pretty self-explanatory.
I also wanted an excuse to make use of the SMB forest theme and the Ninja Attack sound effect.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I think my last course got smooshed by a page break. So I made a little thumbnail for it this time:

And for the other two because why not.

Sorry I haven't really been posting much in the thread. I have been playing courses from the randomizer, but I've mostly been responding in-game when I like something.
I think the Lilliput River course has been my favorite goon course so far. Though the Whispering Bluffs one was pretty incredible.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been trying to create some kind of device that would reliably trigger an on/off block when you use a POW block on the same screen. So far, I haven't managed to find a solution that I think is solid enough, though.

Give this a go:

(Please excuse the phone photo)

The giant muncher blocks the pipe, and when the POW block takes it out, a buzzy shell comes out. The red pipe is used to speed this up. It immediately hits one of the springs, knocking it into a switch. Add dotted line switch blocks in the back for easy clean-up.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

A remake of sorts of a Mario Maker 1 level:

The Floor Is Made of Cannons
7H3-3W4-LGG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

These sort of stages that find a clever gimmick and iterate on it all the way up to boss fight and end goal grab are like catnip to me. I absolutely loved it.

Much appreciated, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got a new level:

Buzzyburrow Glacier
YND-532-VGG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

My fist Blitz level! I hope I did it right! It took about an hour.

Blitz: The Cannon-Hop Bop
PSQ-0FR-7YG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I turned the game on just to see any new notifications and uh

Excuse me, what the hell did I miss?

Oh hey, congrats!

Maybe it works similar to the original Mario Maker?

In the original, once a course got enough plays (I think it was something like 105), it became eligible to make its "debut" on the popular list, depending on if it was well-liked enough. So the plays would be trickling along, then BAM, suddenly everyone's playing it! If course, the general Mario-playing public are the harshest critics, so you'd need a REALLY likable course in order to keep the like-to-plays ratio high enough to STAY on the list (in MM1, this was about 1:20). Otherwise you get a burst of plays, then the course drops back to obscurity.

That's just how it worked in MM1, though. I don't know how different it is now. Do you remember about how many plays it had before this? And are you still getting plays?

In any case, nicely done!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, you guys are putting out a lot of awesome levels!

Mount Mario is the best mountain climbing level I've come across, you can really feel the adventure and the energy and the sense of triumph as you scale that thing! And the flagpole at the end was a lovely touch.

Mansion of Dr. Bones was so well-thought-out and well-presented. I loved atmosphere you put together with the house, and the interconnected nature of all the puzzles.

Prickly Planation - Terrific setting. I liked the level of challenge you've got. A good sense of classic Mario challenge. I know there have been complaints about getting a lot of spiny spikes collecting on the screen during the underground bit, but it didn't seem to be too much of a problem as long as you take it slowly. And having a cape and a Goombud handy to deflect spikes doesn't hurt. I admit I missed the last chunk of level because I was spin-jumping along a right-flying Spiny looking for secrets. But it's all good!

I've got one new level myself:

Mario Just Wants Some Sleep
D1P-VDV-F3G

It's kind of a silly premise. It's also my first attempt at a level with a clear condition, so I kinda over-compensated not having checkpoints to work with by making this a level with no powerups or enemies or hurting hazards. Just platforming and "annoying" sorts of obstacles.

Also, I get to join the "What the heck, my level exploded while I wasn't looking" gang!

Hooray!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

DorianGravy posted:

Last Visible Dog: You commented on my recent level, so I picked one of your levels to play. I picked your most popular one, "The Floor is Made of Cannons", and wow that is inventive! How did you make the cannons move? Really nice work.

Oh, thanks for the reciprocation! It's really pretty simple. For the first bit, all the cannons are sitting on a row of blocks, with the ones that will move made taller, sitting on blocks lower down. A wide platform on a rail comes by, raises the bottom of the cannon up to match the rest, which makes the top stick out, then moves to the side a little so the cannon stays up. Different rail shapes and cannon heights make for different effects. The second bit is similar, except the rail paths are more elaborate, and the cannons are raised up and dropped onto various semisolid platforms.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I really wish I had more time to just play everything here and give tons of feedback. But most of the time I've got access to Mario Maker, I haven't got internet access, so I'm mostly making, and the rare times when I have internet AND Mario, I don't have easy access to a computer. So I end up trying to go through as much as I can remember and leave feedback in-game. But a lot gets lost doing that. This thread moves so fast, and there's just so much quality stuff! It's tough to even keep up.

What we really need is a proper Mario Bookmark site already. At least then I'd be able to save cool levels as they come up.

That said, I feel kinda guilty about shilling another level, but here it is!

Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O.
CN5-K4D-9MF

Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O. GO! Deliver justice with your Mega Punch and Cap Cannon!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got another level, my first attempt at the 3D World theme:

Lost Pyramids, Arise!
KFJ-K2J-4FG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

I see this one is currently killing it in popular. Congrats, goon!

Oh, thanks! It's certainly been surreal!
I think I just managed to hit that right level of novelty and playability.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Imaginary Friend posted:

So I finally made a level that feels somewhat tight and more thought out than my older ones!

It's called Spinning Mansion!
CLX-9QJ-PNF

It's well designed, but quite tough! I do like the reveal of the inverted half!

How are you supposed to get on top of the giant Thwomp during the inverted section? I ended up letting the Bob-omb fall in the hole, then running back to the raised area to dodge the Thwomp, then quickly grabbing the Bob-omb, throwing it, and spinning off it before the Thwomp made it back to cover. And it worked, but kinda felt like a technicality. Is the another way to do it?

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Yup! You also used to be able to shake him to toggle between small and super Mario while test-playing. As far as I know, there's no equivalent for that in MM2, though.

Anyway, got a new level:
Blastblock Mine
BFS-LQK-1YG

It's a coin-collecting 3D World level, and I tried to make it a little open-ended.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Phantasium posted:

This is all well done and placed, and is an interesting theme, I just don't think I like this style of level too much after seeing it a few times now, so I'm not sure I have useful feedback for you.

Aw, I didn't realize it was such an oversaturated level type. Thanks for trying it, at least.

Internet Kraken posted:

This was nice and creative, utilizing a lot of elements in ways I don't usually see. I have to ask though, is there anyway to break the icicles? It felt like there must be something you could do with pow blocks to break em but nothing worked.

Thanks! The icicles are supposed to act as do-not-cross lines for little puzzles where you're supposed to throw the POW blocks across instead. Since the 3D World theme doesn't have 1-way walls or bumpers, icicles were all I could think to use for it. They're not my favorite solution for it, though.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I like the theme and the visual style is amazing, but the moment I died to a bad jump I was done. It's a shame because I thought some of the challenges to get the big coins were really clever, but I couldn't deal with doing them all over again after dying at around 120 coins.

Aw, and there's the intrinsic problem with clear condition stages. They're often stages you would most need checkpoints for, and yet you're not allowed to use them. Sorry about that. Hopefully you enjoyed it up until then.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, they do what they're meant to do. It is a case though where the lack of a simple part (spikes and munchers) isn't really compensated for by the 3D world equivalent since its bigger.

ON/OFF switches also affect conveyor belts when you toggle em. Combined with skipsqueaks and their anti-conveyor movement you could make a pretty interesting 3D world stage focused around that.

The on/off switches also affect the rail blocks (or whatever they're called) in 3D World. That's one I didn't know about until a few days ago.

It's still not much, mind you.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Perry Normal posted:

House of Death/House of Life - GPM-XT5-QFF

I really loved this! It's an interesting gimmick, and you go all-out on the weirdness, which really sells it!
(Also, I unraveled your secrets, heh...)

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Too Shy Guy posted:

:colbert:

The Flyin’ King 2: Cave Diving: QFY-BLB-C3G

Man, I still don't get SMW flying. Sorry for tanking the clear percentage on your course. And for the drawing I made on it.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Someone design a world map image!!!!

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I gave it a go. I didn't actually make any levels for this world, so I made this instead:

I was going for a "based off of Mario 3, but not actually Mario 3" thing. I tried to abide by the NES "only 4 colors per tile" rule but didn't care about maximum numbers of palettes or unique tiles or whatever.

There was a lot of interpretations to make, so I hope I did alright. I vouched for branching paths over linear, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with the "challenge" levels, so I just folded them back in there amongst the branches.

Totally open to suggestions/corrections if anyone has any.

Anyway, enjoy!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

Great! It would be best if the challenge levels were optional so, I would put 6 and 7 on the same route. I also felt that 3 was thematically a lead in to 4, so they could be on the same path.

Sure, that makes sense.
Here's a revision:

I put 3 on the bottom route with 4, and gave it another little creek to make its name thematic.
I also swapped 7 and 8. I just swapped the texts on the bottom, since it was a simple enough fix and I think that was the actual original order of the levels anyway. Now the bottom path at the end is entirely challenge levels!

(Edit: whoops, misspelled "Shuddershade"!)

Last Visible Dog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 10, 2019

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I made a stage for Mario Solar System, but I'd like to know if it'd be a good fit. It's supposed to be like a first or second stage, where Mario takes a rocketship to space to counter the invasion. I concentrated on the rocket ride, so it's more novelty and set dressing than actual Mario platforming. Is that OK for this world?

MSS: Blastoff!
1B7-CWB-DLF

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Draxamus posted:

The patch also removed some useful global ground properties from firebars and icicles :(

What the heck? My Mega Action Robot M.A.R.I.O. stage relied on that to spawn a bunch of enemies to fight! That's gonna be one lonely robot ride now.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, my usual playtester is out of town, so I'll have to submit this one... untested!

HCM: Snowbound Chalet
BCG-FG9-N2G

It's a snow-themed ghost house. Except with no ghosts. Hopefully it's any good!

Last Visible Dog fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 24, 2019

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I think you get about a hundred SFX per side, so that would get tricky on larger sub-areas.

This may be a dumb solution, but you could attach the song to an enemy in a Lakitu cloud, then put it in the ground/ceiling where the player can't touch it. Since the cloud always follows the screen horizontally, it will keep playing so long as you don't move too far away vertically. And then you can just place one of these enemies at any point you can enter the sub-area.

The catch is the enemy has to be visible to trigger the sound, so you can't bury it a tile or two beneath the bottom screen edge. And it would only work for horizontal sub-areas, of course.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I'm banking on some "better late than never" here, but I was just inspired to do another world map for a Goon collaborative world.

Not the latest one. The one before it: Mario Solar System.

I took some heavy Mario 3 liberties, so there are some Toad houses and bonus games to liven up the map, as well as a post-fortress shortcut pipe and locked door. A couple of the levels lent themselves to being turned into vehicle-type levels, so I did that. And I want sure how to interpret the "secret" level, so there's just a secret path made of stars that goes up through the middle of the circular split area near the top.

I also wanted to add a few UFO enemies to wander around the map like hammer bros, but it was already getting too busy as is.

I didn't really say much back when this world was initially finished, but it's amazing how well all the levels come together with a little narrative! This is a good excuse to replay them, 'cause it's a neat set of levels!

Anyhow, if there are any changes or revisions I should make to this thing, let me know!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Oh, congrats!

Yeah, there's a sort of ratio of likes/plays needed, as well as a plays threshold you need to pass, and then it suddenly shows up in the popular tab. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are this game, but sometimes your level will flash up in a moment and get play-bombed, and it usually happens while you're not looking.

In other news, I still really love the SMW desert theme:

Last Ride of the Choco Express
QVC-HW9-LYF

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Got another level, since I wanted to make use of vines/beanstalks of the SMW sky theme:

Vine Check
2BQ-G18-7TG

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Yay, I finally made another level! My first level in, like, a year!
Ruin Wrecker 2: The Wreckoning
Q6V-QTP-SQF

It's actually a remake of a MM1 level of mine, but it was a concept I liked.
So get wrecked!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Prowler posted:

Welcome back!

This was a really cool level! My only death came to the timer: I got lost during the red coin hunt, and died near the flag...

At least I got first clear, because I'm sure it'll be easy to beat my 10 minute clear time, lol.

Thanks!
And it's a long one, yeah. I always try to speedrun the clear check, and this time I ended using up about half of the max 500 seconds, even going as fast as I could. I really wish the timer options weren't so limited.
And ouch, dying by the flag after making through the last segment and all? Sorry about that!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I went and actually made a level!

The Winches of CliffTown
W87-XRJ-37G

It's got winches!