Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just finished my first level
BG3-BX8-RDG
I think it is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thanks Eonwe. I haven't been able to try any of the threads yet but I don't have work tomorrow so I should get a good chance.

Oh yeah did you find the coolant tank?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 28, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After making one level I have to say I definitely think the docked controls are good. It was really easy to find whatever item I want and really quick to erase, select, move, copy, or do other menu stuff

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do you do a standing spin jump in 3d world style? I've seen people do it but doing the control stick doesn't do it, the spin jump button does a long jump(though it spins in mid air) I thought maybe hold up but that doesn't do it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha the one level I made last night has more likes and more plays than all of my Super Mario Maker 1 levels put together

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

This game is awesome but I don't get why Nintendo was so stingy on the powerups. Unless I'm missing something Mario 3 basically only has a mushroom, leaf, and fireflower for powerups. Why can we not get the frog, tanooki, or hammer bros suits?

This is still my favorite game of the year but it's lame they took out the guest character mushrooms from the Mario 1 tileset and gave us no replacements.

edit: figured out copying items. (hold ZR) Still don't remember how to add multi coins to one block.

It's a toggle, not a hold

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Undodog turns me instantly into an idiot.

"Oh don't get caught in a claw? No problem! Oh look a mushroom in a claw, I'll just jump up and get that real quick."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have made the Zelda 1 first dungeon in 3d world style but need to make it a bit easier

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Legend of Zelda - Level 1
WGP-P4N-1SF

If you don't know where the keys are, look up a map of the original game. You can also skip two keys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, the Koopa Kids from Mario Party are more like the Hitler Youth. The Koopalings are salaried employees.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GigaPeon posted:

Who’s the Pom Pom lady Boom Boom thing, though? How does she fit in?

They are just a species of Koopa. There's no single one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cheesetriangles posted:

That's bullshit revisionist history and Nintendo is wrong.

The only thing that ever pegged the Koopalings as his kids were the lovely cartoon, which didn't even have their names right

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shoot just realized I forgot to put my Zelda level in the form. That is corrected now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have a question. Some people's levels I notice you go in an area and it gives you the special music from one of the sound effects, and that music is persistent throughout the area. I can't figure out how to do this.

I've tried placing it on the pipe I come through, or on a powerup, but music always goes back to normal once I move away from the pipe. I can also Judy place the effect directly on Mario but that doesn't translate when you actually play the level, only while testing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

It's hard, and not particularly good, but I think he'd be happy if he saw some people had played and beat it. Don't even need a like, just please don't boo.

Also piranha plants will kill you instantly at the beginning unless you jump.

I think this would be fun in multiplayer versus where you immediately spawn when you die, so I would ask please tag it that if you feel like it.

You can despawn the Charvargh by going through a door. Also the key coins are a trap, you need to not have a key to finish the level

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 30, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sharizard posted:

I just gave it a try and beat it. I say that the instakill at the start isn't very fun. Outside of that, cute little course. It was fun to chain hop on the skipsqueaks.

On my end, I made an autoscrolling underwater course full of dumb chain chomps.

Wet Chomps
7S9-0CQ-S6G

I usually hate those instant kills but for some reason the weird 3D world physics shoving those guys at you just makes me laugh because it was so unexpected.

I tried to play every level in the spreadsheet last night I think I made it about a third of the way through

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, remember that level in SMB3, I think it was in world 7, where you can chain together star power ups, but only if you're fast enough , otherwise the star will be another power up?

Does that gimmick exist in this game? Holy poo poo, tomorrow night can't come soon enough. I want to try this poo poo out for myself.

It does not but you could make it with a gadget I think. Put it on global ground heading toward a one way gate that locks it, and a thwomp triggers a on/off block when you get there, maybe? If you make it in time the star would fall down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Al Borland Corp: Chain Chomp Factory

Fun! I liked how consistent the theme was. There were enemies everywhere but they felt delibertly placed. That section with the moles where you could use the switch to free them, I never went for the switch and you could bypass it completey, so I'm not sure what that section was for. Cute level though! 4/5

That switch is basically an optional "fun moment" to send all those guys into the lava, with one of them sometimes having his life saved by a claw. No tangible reward except watching them fry.

I tested sound effects on them so they'd all scream but unfortunately hitting the lava doesn't trigger sound effects

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, you could lock the next star behind something typically invulnerable... Well, I think I'll play with that concept this afternoon.

That is much simpler!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Castor Poe posted:

How do you make one way pipes?

A down slope immediately after a pipe exit, or just have the exit floating above the ground. Or place a one way gate next to the pipe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there anyway to place where a background detail is (like the grandfather clock on the Super Mario 3 ghost house theme) or is completely random based on how long a run of ground tile is made?

It's random but you can copy the tile with the feature you want. So make some ground and copy each feature over to an unused corner for later use.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

Spent a solid chunk of the afternoon making this mysterious desert. Use a fun height checker in one part to switch blocks everytime you jump.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 1, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

I'm getting course not found for this code.

drat it. Will figure it out a little while later

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

drat it. Will figure it out a little while later

It was

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

How do I fix that on the spreadsheet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

d3lness posted:

Killing players with "guess the right pipe" is super unfun. Not having hints and having to backtrack is also unpleasant.

This one isn't for guessing, you can run over the top to see where all four go. I don't really consider it having to backtrack because you just go half a screen over

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 1, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

d3lness posted:

The backtracking was annoying because you teach the player to skip keys at the very beginning of the level. Most people aren't going to assume they need to run over the top of your pipes. Bills after the red pipes were also extraneous. Just block the path instead or add a pit. You expect players to explore over the glass pipes, but punish them for exploring past the red angled pipe.

You know where to go in the level so its layout makes sense, but somebody who hasn't done it before has no idea what you had in mind. You have no hints suggesting where players should go while providing conflicting in-level messages.

Those bills can get you a 1 up if you let them follow you. They can't hurt you unless you stay still or run right into you. The pipe stops the bottom one from being able to hit you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ideally you want levels designed for co-op.

But a level that requires co-op to finish would be impossible to upload.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw a lot of people complaining about Mary O being gone in favor of this new character, but from a writing standpoint I think it makes sense. Mary O was a more experienced and professional character, and has been through tutorials in Super Mario Maker 2 already. What they needed was a more novice and feisty character who could push Yamamura's buttons in an entertaining way. Makes far more sense to create a new character.

The crazy thing is my 6 year old was complaining when I was watching the lessons with him, but then his next level he placed far fewer enemies and stuck to only a couple of elements and themes. So he was actually learning whether he wanted to or not!

God drat I just want to type all these level codes in my phone and have them ready to go when I get home like Smash Bros. Come on Nintendo!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have played 37.5 hours of this game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lugaloco posted:

How do you ensure your screen doesn't "float" upwards/downwards in a one screen room? I know that to block the camera from moving horizontally you just need a solid line of ground blocks from top to bottom, but what about vertical camera movement?

If you're on the ground floor and have a line across the ceiling it shouldn't float up, I'm not sure about the second floor though, that seems to float down even if I have a solid line across the whole level

Random Stranger posted:

The way you lock the camera vertically is not putting any blocks above the screen line. The bad news is to lock the camera in one room you have to put blocks above the screen line. So, at the moment you can't seem to lock both vertically and horizontally simultaneously.

Actually if you have nothing above the screen line you can block horizontally with a vertical line just going to the top of the bottom screen, not all the way up. I'm designing a SMB level right now that is working that way.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 1, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Why are there no vines in the 3D World set? It's easily my favorite now cause it looks great visually and provides this really nice 2.5D look that NSMB doesn't, but there's basically nothing to really decorate stages with. It's kind of a bummer. There really needs to be more background/foreground cosmetic things to liven up the levels in the 3D World set

Yeah in my Zelda level I had to use Trees as ladders.

I just mapped out another Zelda Level which should be really good I should finish today or tomorrow. This new once I'm keeping the basic layout of the original but dropping the conceit of duplicating the top down placements. It's going to be what the dungeon would look like if it were a side scroller.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GreatGreen posted:

They really need to make "complete course without doing X" courses instantly kill you if you do X, since there's no going back from that point.

It's a waste of time to have to manually restart the level when there's no other possible option to win other than restarting the level.

Not necessarily. For example if you have to not land after leaving the ground, but accidentally do. You could scout out the rest of the level and check out what the other challenges will be so you can be prepared before restarting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God I wish you could turn that poo poo off. I love the airship tile set but the drifting camera makes me never want to play those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know what song this is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Is there any way to trigger an icicle falling without Mario having to pass under it first? I need it to fall ahead of time

POW block?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PantsBandit posted:

It wasn't until I was about to upload my level that I noticed you can drag out the little line at the bottom to extend the level boundaries. Apparently I was only using like a third of the potential space?? :psyboom:

Have people been running up against the size limits on these? How do they compare to the first game?

Same size. Effectively larger though thanks to scroll stop, you don't need "filler" to visually separate areas of your level and keep people from setting ahead. Also the ground/block limit used to be 2000 combined, now the block limit itself is 2000 and ground limit is 4000.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ultrachrist posted:

I see people make little widgets where they scribbled some text. How do I do that?

Those are comments from players.

The best comments being "This enemy was hard to dodge!" placed over an enemy so you can't see them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ultrachrist posted:

See, when I saw "my parents just got a divorce!" I thought it was the creator making a joke and not some sad kid announcing it to the world while playing a Mario level...

That is likely a reference to a meme, on Game Grumps playing Super Mario 3D world, you could see Miiverse comments and in one of the first videos there was one that said "This game is great! My mom and dad fight a lot."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just uploaded this extremely dumb level

55S 076 CSG

Parker Lewis Can't Lose Tribute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted: