Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Threw together my first level! It's bits and pieces of World 1-1s past, mashed up and such into something else. If you can guess where each bit comes from, you're a colossal dork.

I'll figure out a nice template image later.

Oh, also! The levels from the 2019 Invitational are uploaded under the username NintendoUS (GC0-BJM-HBG). There's also a NintendoJP username (6MX-KJ2-Q9G) if you want to complete the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

Threw together my first level! It's bits and pieces of World 1-1s past, mashed up and such into something else. If you can guess where each bit comes from, you're a colossal dork.

I'll figure out a nice template image later.

eonwe posted:

I've played every level thats on the spreadsheet so far except:

The Kins Origins 20S-5HG-NWG

I think this level code might be wrong?
Hi, I'm a huge idiot and typoed the code before slumping off to bed! The actual code is 20S-5H6-NWG. Sorry about this!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Legend of Zelda - Level 1
WGP-P4N-1SF

If you don't know where the keys are, look up a map of the original game. You can also skip two keys.
This is surprisingly well done!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tnega posted:

Origins 20S-5HG-NWG
Course Not Found

The Kins posted:

Hi, I'm a huge idiot and typoed the code before slumping off to bed! The actual code is 20S-5H6-NWG. Sorry about this!
I sent a PM to the OP (Who I assume is running the sheet) asking for a fix.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Put together a new something.

Venture into an abandoned shack and put a stop to the nefarious Octomancer, Ikarus!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

Here's a new one. Trying to get down standard platforming before i try and get too fancy.

Wetlands Wanderer

KHQ-J25-PLF

This one's real good. Good stuff!

Random Stranger posted:

So using the Mario Galaxy music on my last stage inspired me and now I am so very sorry.

Going Galaxy
WB1-251-XKF
This was pretty clever, although I found it kinda hard. I'd suggest adding more coins to point the player around.

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, my first course done. Classic Kit: T59-98K-2NF

It's an all SMB1 theme level.
Not bad! The daytime bits felt straight out of SMB1, although the little Spiny pool in the underground area was a bit of a difficulty spike compared the level surrounding it.

It also reminded me of this handy tip that for some reason isn't documented anywhere in the game (probably because it was added to MM1 in a late patch): Tap and hold on a tier 2 powerup (fire flower, feather etc.) and select the mushroom modifier to turn it into a multi-tier powerup ala official Mario games - it'll be a mushroom if the player is small, or the proper powerup if they aren't.

Overbite posted:

I made a new level about ginger ale.

WBK-80R-SFG

I’ve noticed that it’s very hard for me to make something interesting out of the smb3 underground tileset.
Not bad, but finding the pipe for the ON/OFF room was oddly difficult. I'd maybe make that one a different colour.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me or is there a gulf in quality between Easy Endless and Normal Endless?

I mean, Easy Endless stages aren't that good but at least there is a scrappy charm to them.

"Here is my first level. Pwease be nice"
"This is a short gimmick level"
"Here is 1-1, but with a twist!" (There are a lot of these)

Then you get to Normal Endless stages...

"i was drunk when i made this"
"HERE COMES THE BULLSHIT ENEMY SPAM"
"What is a checkpoint?"
I haven't noticed too much poo poo in Normal Endless. That'll probably change over time, though.

Kirios posted:

Hey guys, I made a weird SHMUP level. I think it's pretty decent?

[quote="ThisIsACoolGuy" post="496335622"]
The new Builder Power seems a bit odd to use- but I still tried to make a level where you can play with it in various THRILLING ways. It was going to serve as a tutorial for some of it's abilities but quickly turned into a actual full blown stage :v:

Meowser's Bad Breakup
P5N - XFG - 5SF

Fun little tutorial stage. The second thwomp bit was a bit frustrating, though, as the camera tends to hide them unless you jump up in that area and they tend to instantly kill you.

Bleck posted:

It's, like, Dark Souls, y'know?

HV8-BV1-LPG

I tried to make bosses themed after Dark Souls 1 bosses.
Cute execution, but a couple of the rooms looked a bit, well, plain. Not a lot of decoration.

Dork457 posted:

arrite boys strap in for a bone chilling NARRATIVE focused mario maker 2 level!!

:haw: loving brilliant.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolie Ghost posted:

The Dreaming in the Fever House
FTS-0C7-C1G

Mild puzzle-solving & exploration "story" level, & my first real go at a thematically cohesive level. Inspired by Lovecraft, Symplectic, as well as the night terrors I have where a skeleton tries to suck my dick
This seems to have broken for me in the room where you get the Spiny Helmet for the first time, I wasn't able to get the beanstalk to come down.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Have some levels by the creator of Celeste.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144514048651743232

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

Anyone know if any course designers of the actual Mario games made courses for SMM2 online or included in the game? It would be really cool to see SMB1 style courses by the actual creators of courses from that game.
Looking at the credits, the four people specifically listed as "Course Level Design" all have previous credits on Mobygames as game testers. That being said, the "Game Design" section is stacked with Mario veterans, like Super Mario World sprite artist Shigefumi Hino and veteran Mario series level designer/pidgeon namesake Yasuhisa Yamamura, so they likely guided the new blood's hands a lot. Takashi Tezuka, who's been heavily involved since the NES days (and I think drew most of the sprites in Mario 3!) was producer and according to a Game Informer interview he ultimately chose which courses were included in the game, although he apparently didn't make any of them himself.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I regret to inform you all that I've made a new level.

Flipscavation: S0P-449-BJG

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

National Parks posted:

I've been working on a new level for a couple of days:

A Stroll Through the Clouds
0XT-NQV-RVG

It's a nightime cloud course. It's a traditional level, with lots of goombas and a big cloud castle. I really like the low gravity jumps, but haven't run in to many other levels using it.
This was great! Very nicely planned out, and the underused level theme was used quite well.

Rollersnake posted:

Dear Mario,
I'm all alone in the town of Whispering Bluffs. Come visit me! I'll be waiting for you in our "special place"...

- Peach
Utterly brilliant.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Budget Dracula posted:

Can you play two player coop on the same Switch while its undocked?
There's same-system multiplayer, yes, but it's limited to courses that you've downloaded to Coursebot for offline play. Also: The camera isn't fantastic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played a little bit of endless and saw a quagmire of bad NSMBU stages so I said gently caress it, I'm going to make sure at least one decent stage gets put into rotation.
This is as authentic as you can get I feel. I have no insane gimmicks, there's powerups to take advantage of (including a yoshi) and just tilting platforms. It's simple- but I'm happy with simple

If you play it lemme know if you enjoyed it :shobon:
Good stuff! Nothing ground-shaking, just a good old fashioned Nintendo-style NSMB level.

J-Spot posted:

Bridge Zone 1 (Sonic Game Gear)
Course ID: 3PM-5M9-P9G
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This is real fun. If you do any more Sonic GG-style levels, I'd love to see them!

Internet Kraken posted:

I decided to reupload this course after tweaking the start section. If the spreadsheet could be updated with the new code, that'd be appreciated.

Plunder the Lost Kingdom: RHP-JBY-HPG

Hopefully now people will actually play past it instead of immediately quitting. Maybe I just picked a bad element to introduce the stage with, but the idea of a banzai bill boring into the earth seemed too cool for me to pass up.
I loved the intro, but the rest of the stage just didn't do it for me. Especially the Big Boo cannon spam.

Rollersnake posted:

...ever have a title that desperately needed a level? I tried to illustrate as many basic Mario gameplay concepts as I could without making it too cluttered, and every coin and powerup can be collected without running.
This reminds me a lot of World 2-2 in SMB3. That's not a bad thing!

Rollersnake posted:

This... actually didn't take nearly as long to make as I thought it would, because the car handles very similarly to City Connection. I'm kinda shocked I managed to make a level that actually plays like the game it's based on, and I'm really curious to hear what City Connection fans (you exist, probably) think of this.

Everyone else—you all were dying to play a level that has the car and Meowser, right?!
It's neat to see a level that uses the car that isn't just a "press B at the right time" obstacle course. It's not the most flexible element...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just tried making my first 3D World level for the course jam, and jeez, there's so much missing from that mode, it's frustrating. Also I couldn't get the scroll-stop to work for some odd reason.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to rebuild my level (called "Your Dad Thinks You're Dumb" because you don't trust your kids with normal Mario levels) in the New Super style tomorrow.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Live Free posted:

does the bomb/bow come automatically with link mode or are they separate powerups once you're in link mode? like will there be levels where you need to bomb a wall to get the bow?
They're all part of the Link powerup, from the looks of things.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Way to ruin the coolest power up Nintendo :smith:
Why were you expecting this to be different from every other powerup in the series?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Because like the amiibo costumes, it's worthless to build a level around it if one gently caress up causes you to lose it. It's even worse because they gave you Link's wholes kit. I'm surprised because of that specifically. Like I went from "I can't wait to make a Link themed level" to "That power up is pointless". Unless you build a stage with no enemies I guess

Or I guess build a bunch of pipes that drop the power up constantly, which looks ugly and I hate doing that
Or build a level that's completable without a specific powerup, but with optional challenges/rewards (bonus rooms, big coins etc.) for sword-havers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a quick list of what music/sounds are different when Link is active:

• Overworld, Sky, Forest, Underwater, Desert & Snow: Zelda 1 Overworld Theme
  • Underground, Ghost House: Zelda 1 Dungeon
  • Airship, Castle: Zelda 1 Death Mountain
  • Peaceful SFX: Zelda 64 Fairy Fountain (New NES arrangement)
  • Bonus Stage SFX: Zelda 64 Horse Race (New NES arrangement)
  • Boss Music SFX: Zelda 2 Battle (FDS Version)
  • Final Boss SFX: Zelda 2 Final Boss
  • Finish Level (Castle): Zelda 1 Dungeon Clear Fanfare (with a cute little bonus animation...)
  • Finish Level (Every Other Theme): Zelda 1 Zelda Rescued Fanfare

• Ding Dong SFX: Zelda 1 Secret Found Fanfare (FDS Version)

I'm sure I missed something, though...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't touched this game in a good long while, but I have two levels of questionable quality to heap upon you out of nowhere!

Supermarket-Brand Grass Land: 3NG-NFS-T3G
Remake of a level from an old ROM hack of mine. I think this was originally intended for the kids jam, judging by the fact I originally saved it as "Your Dad Thinks You're Dumb". is any indication. Anyway, it's a run of the mill Grass Land level using 3D World, which is physically painful for me to work with (WHY CAN'T I STACK THINGS?)

You're Cactus, Jack!: 3G1-79Y-BKF
The obligatory Version 2.0 tryout level. A bit of there and back again, but be warned: You only have one shot at the "back again" bit. Lose your powerup and you're, well, you're cactus.

I'll submit 'em to the sheet later.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't seem to be able to stack stuff on Pokey, or vice versa, which is kind of a pity.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wart was in the Link's Awakening remake, so he's fresh on the mind I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm at work, and don't have the level code (I'll update later if I remember), but last night, I played Mario Ware Inc and it was fantastic. I think it's on the Popular tab. I recommend it to everyone.
Found it, it's pretty great! Be sure to check out the guy's uploads, he has two more Mario Ware stages uploaded that are also good.

Certainly better than the myriad of "REFRESHING" garbage that plagues the Popular Uploads tab.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For those wondering: You can only have one "Super World" (aka. full game) of up to eight worlds uploaded at a time, and up to six downloaded to Worldbot (aka Coursebot for Super Worlds)

EDIT: Powerups are not persistent between levels.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 22, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the official patch notes:

quote:

Course Maker
  • New course parts have been added.
    Each new part can be used in the following game styles as shown below.

• Select the Cursed Key by first placing a Key, then changing its type from the options available.
  • The Dotted-Line Block has been newly added to the Super Mario 3D World game style. It has been available in all other game styles since Ver. 1.0.0.

World Maker
  • You can now select World Maker and Worldbot from the main menu.
  • In World Maker, you can create your own Super Worlds.
    You can set up to eight worlds and 40 courses in one Super World.
    You can set courses that are saved under My Courses in Coursebot.
  • In Worldbot, you can view Super Worlds that you made in World Maker.
    You can save up to six Super Worlds.
    Each Maker can upload one Super World to Course World.

Course World
  • Super Worlds have been added.
    You can play Super Worlds uploaded from Makers around the globe.
  • If a Maker uploads a Super World, it will be displayed in the Overview section of their Maker Profile.
  • Added a list of Super Worlds a Maker has played to their Maker Profile.
  • Added a friend list to Leaderboards.
    Friends who have allowed “Share to Friend List” in Options will be displayed here.
  • In Leaderboards, the order of the list of Makers you’re following has been changed to display whoever uploaded a course most recently first.
  • Increased the number of tags that can be added to a course.
    Added the following tags: Art, Technical, Shooter, Boss battle, Single player, and Link.
    Courses that are tagged with “Single player” will not be selected in Network Play.
  • You can now download courses that you posted to My Courses in Coursebot.
  • Added a list of friends’ times to Everyone’s Times in Ninji Speedruns.
    Friends who have allowed “Share to Friend List” in Options will be displayed here.
  • Added gear that can be acquired in Easy and Normal modes of Endless Challenge.
    If the conditions for earning this gear have been met in Ver. 2.0.0 or earlier, it will be acquired when updating to Ver. 3.0.0.

General
  • Added “Share to Friend List” to Options. -By setting this to “Allow,” your information will be displayed to your friends in Leaderboards and Ninji Speedruns.
  • Issues have been fixed to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nintendo posted:

From March 31st 2021, it will no longer be possible to upload courses in Super Mario Maker for Wii U. On the same day, the Super Mario Maker Bookmark website will also close.

It will still be possible to play courses uploaded before the service discontinuation.

In preparation for the discontinuation of these online services, Super Mario Maker for Wii U will be removed from sale on Nintendo eShop on January 13th 2021. It will still be possible to redownload the game after this date.

There is no impact on Super Mario Maker 2 for Nintendo Switch.

We would like to thank all players for supporting Super Mario Maker for Wii U over the past five years.

Planned service end date: March 31st 2021

Please note that depending on the circumstances, these services may be discontinued earlier than the above-mentioned date.

Services that will end
The ability to upload courses in Super Mario Maker for Wii U
The Super Mario Maker Bookmark website

Due to this, the following features within the software’s Course World will also become unavailable:
Updating the ranking of liked courses
Looking up your bookmarked courses
An error message will be displayed when trying to access these discontinued services after their end date.