Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

because once you pass HR1 and other laws the gop never takes the house or presidency ever again.

If true, that makes Obama look like a really terrible leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am unconvinced that Republicans lose forever if this becomes law:

quote:

* voluntary public financing for campaigns, matching small donations at a 6:1 ratio
* voting rights for felons out of prison
* DC statehood
* stricter limitations on foreign lobbying
* require Super PACs and other "dark money" organizations to disclose their donors
* presidential and vice-presidential candidates to disclose their previous 10 years of income-tax returns
* national voter-registration program
* make Election Day a federal holiday
* non-partisan commissions to draw congressional electoral districts
* limit efforts to purge voting rolls

It is a defense against Republican attacks but I don't think it would actually prevent any incumbent Republicans in the senate from winning re-election, for example.

And none of these are really new ideas, so again if this is the lethal poison to Republicans, imagine how stupid Obama is to have not done it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

imagine how stupid the people that killed ACORN based on a phony video are!

My point is more that "Pass HR1" is an insufficient answer because of all those reasons why, but we must still prevent Republican control as the Republic does hang in the balance.

Only Sanders and Williamson have an answer: mass popular action. Sanders proposes political and Williamson spiritual, but they're the only ones even close to the ballpark.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

She's a self help writer who dismissed plans as superficial and spent her entire time talking in vague but important sounding platitudes. She tempered her nominal but non-specific support for reparations by saying the average american isn't racist, just undereducated.

She also focused on it as reparations for slavery and not, I dunno, reparations for the poo poo that has continued well into the modern day.

Yeah its pretty incredible that she's still better than the 20 centrists.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

Well of course she's the most electable, you can't refuse the orders of a psychic.

Legit, I would actually at least consider Biden before Williamson because at least he's not anti-vax. She becomes president and she will fall prey to every dumb poo poo and well entrenched grifter that rolls up to the white house.

Well Williamson isn't anti-vax:

quote:

I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives. I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling and I realize that I misspoke.

But yeah I'd vote for Williamson and probably never vote for Biden.

At least Williamson isn't pro-segregation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did yall not hear when Bernie said:

GUTHRIE:

Senator Sanders I will give you 10 seconds just to ask the—answer the very direct question will you raise taxes for the middle class in a Sanders administration?

SANDERS:

People who have healthcare under Medicare for all will have no premiums, no deductibles, no copayments, no out of expe—out-of-pocket expenses. Yes, they will pay more in taxes but less in healthcare for what they get.

(APPLAUSE)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

In that debate she came across as an empty conwoman. If she has some actual longstanding support of anti-imperialism and some actual concrete proposals I'd love to hear them, but otherwise she seems like the same sort of empty suit but with love instead of bipartisanship. I'm trying to check into her 2014 run to figure out who exactly she has been before this presidential bid, but if you got some information do share.

The problem is I don't think she will actually do anything to stop the former.

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1914380026

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1914418108

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1131038453989302273

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Being as gullible as possible about a magic crystal anti-vax woo-woo scammer is the new woke lmao

In this thread we went from "rooting for her ~ironically~ " to having uncritical stans for this idiot in the time it takes to have a long lunch haha

What did she say at the debate that was wrong?

Here's the transcript if you need help: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/28/us/politics/transcript-debate.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm serious that Williamson is better than Biden.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

It's not that she's "kooky", she's an out and out anti-vaxxer.

Except she explicitly said she isn't an anti-vaxxer:

quote:

“I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives. I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling and I realize that I misspoke.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those aren't meaningfully distinguishable positions

Ok now you've got me curious. Of the 2020 candidates on Vaccines & exemptions:

quote:

Bernie: "Any exemptions should be rare and consistent with public health needs"

Buttigieg: "These exemptions include medical exemptions in all cases (as in cases where it is unsafe for the individual to get vaccinated), and personal/religious exemptions if states can maintain local herd immunity and there is no public health crisis,"

Warren: "I support efforts to end religious and personal belief exemptions and believe that we must have real standards for what constitutes a medical exemption."

Booker: "We should limit the number of exemptions from vaccinations to a small number of medical circumstances"

Yang: added he supported California's standard for vaccination, which requires children attending school or daycare to be vaccinated unless they have a medical exemption

Moulton: To counter it, he called for tying federal education funds to stricter vaccine compliance — allowing only medical exemptions

Ryan: supports ending religious and personal belief exemptions

Swalwell: he supports ending religious and personal belief exemptions

Delany: exemptions should be considered based on the nature of particular diseases. For a highly contagious disease like measles, only medical exemptions should be permitted.

Inslee: The legislature in his home state recently passed a bill to end personal belief exemptions to vaccines, which he is expected to sign into law. Washington continues to allow religious and medical exemptions.

O'Rourke: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Biden: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Harris: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Klobuchar: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Castro: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Hickenlooper: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Gillibrand: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

Gabbard: Refused to take a public stance on exemptions.

( https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/claudiakoerner/2020-presidential-candidates-vaccines-measles-health)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

one of the elementary schools in my town has a vaccination rate of 42 fuckin percent. i don't want to hear excuses for an anti-vaxxer presidential candidate when there is a very real possibility (or perhaps more accurately, inevitability) that a whole bunch of kids in my town are gonna get extremely sick, possibly suffering lifelong debilitating complications and even death from a completely preventable illness. gently caress williamson and gently caress her apologists.

She's as anti-vax as half the candidates including Biden, that's what so impressive about how bad they are.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Williamson owns if she does nothing more than highlight how many candidates have conservative views on vaccine exemptions.

If you're "purity testing" (:v:) Williamson over vaccines, that also removes Inslee, O'Rourke, Biden, Harris, Klobuchar, Castro, Hickenlooper, Gillibrand and Gabbard, all who do not support removing the religious and personal belief exemption.

Which is fine and great because for the most part they all suck already. And that basically just leaves Warren and Sanders as the remaining real contenders.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joepinetree posted:

This is the thing that drives me up a wall. Virtually all of Bernie's signature proposals have been introduced as bills in the senate. Bernie is likely to be the presidential candidate with the most detailed proposals in history, because they are nearly all actually written as bills in the senate. And yet the media treats Warren as the smart wonk because she throws out a wealth tax bill with numbers that are absolutely meaningless.

Because Warren is doing the media's job for them and because we've completely commoditized media labor and media they're stuck at the same capitalism grindstone as the rest of us. So when Warren posts a medium post that means to many reporters "congrats your boss wont yell at you today if you just copy and paste an article in 5 minutes" versus Bernie's senate bills that would demand research and reading and work.

Since the boss doesn't ever give a poo poo about quality only clicks, why pick the hard old news versus the easy new news?

Also that whole "simple good plans are boring" but "complex worse plans are smart!" That the media loves like the hyperloop.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Just put the people on ignore that you always hate to read? If there's only a handful of them it shouldn't be so hard.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

It doesn’t loving remove Inslee, he removed additional exemptions in Washington State and has been pro-vaccine the entire time.

Pay some loving attention. Washington State isn’t some no man’s land.

The bill still allows religious exemptions:

quote:

The legislature in his home state recently passed a bill to end personal belief exemptions to vaccines, which he is expected to sign into law. Washington continues to allow religious and medical exemptions.

"That's why we took action in Washington state," he said, "I'm proud to support a new bill that removes personal exemptions to the MMR vaccine."

So if you're trying to defend religious exemptions as good vaccine policy, that's different. But most of the posters who've expressed interest in exemption policy have so far been pretty hardline on "no exemptions."

edit: sorry I mean "no non-medical exemptions" obviously

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 29, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I didn't say they're the same, I said they're on the same side - something their policies and votes reflect.

which side is that?

Because they don't seem to be on the same side at all to me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If 2016 repeats itself....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The Marianne men have arrived

Please they’re “Marianettes” disparagingly and Marianne’s Angels lovingly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This tweet seems pretty innocuous to me. Good thing you're here to read between the lines and let us know she actually meant "American Empire Forever!"

The hate for Warren in this thread doesn't actually seem to be particularly grounded in reality, but instead on this kind of nonsense.

I know I'll get laughed at for going to her website (because Clinton had a website!) but:

Ok now you have me curious. Since the OP's contention was that Warren was similar to Clinton, and you did post the website....

Warren:

quote:

A strong military should act as a deterrent so that most of the time, we won’t have to use it. We must continue to be vigilant about the threat of terrorism, but it’s time to bring our troops home – and make sure they get support and benefits they’ve earned.

We should also leverage all the tools of our national power, not just our military might. That means cutting our bloated defense budget and ending the stranglehold of defense contractors on our military policy. It means reinvesting in diplomacy and standing with our allies to advance our shared interests. It means new solutions to new global challenges, from cybersecurity to the existential threat posed by climate change.

Clinton:

quote:

As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton worked to restore America’s leadership in the world after it was badly eroded by eight years of the Bush administration’s go-it-alone foreign policy. She oversaw significant accomplishments, from building a global coalition to impose crippling sanctions against Iran, to brokering a ceasefire in Gaza and protecting Israel, to supporting President Obama’s decision to bring Osama bin Laden to justice, and much more. Defending America and our core values is one of the cornerstones of Hillary’s campaign.
Embrace all the tools of American power, especially diplomacy and development, to be on the front lines solving problems before they threaten us at home. Diplomacy is often the only way to avoid a conflict that could end up exacting a much greater cost. It takes patience, persistence, and an eye on the long game—but it’s worth it.

(https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/national-security/)

Funny enough, Clinton didn't actually have a distinct "foreign policy" issues page afaik.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Bernie was doing rallies to build his organization and brand immediately following the 2016 election to today.

By that measure Biden has been doing so since before February 2007. Or arguably earlier.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of the time that United States of America has been governed according to this Constitution, Joe Biden has been running for President for ~13% of it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epicurius posted:

He's not an antivaxxer. He made a statement saying he supported letting people opt out for religious reasons unless there's a public health crisis that would override that. After he got criticism for it, he "walked it back"...ie, changed his position. But you can support letting people opt out of vaccination and not yourself be antivax.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/441537-buttigieg-campaign-says-he-supports-some-vaccine-exemptions

IDK this seems like an anti-vax position to most people in this thread:

quote:

I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives. I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling and I realize that I misspoke.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

I thought it would come up during the first debate when someone mentioned supporting downticket candidates but noooope

I'm pessimistic that the moderators and the media would let that attack land if it comes from another candidate. Biden will answer in the debate "I wasn't campaigning and I didn't endorse! What can't you say a few nice words about your friend at a private event?"

It won't matter if it is true, because then the media will 12 pinocchios because technically on paper it wasn't campaigning it was just speaking positively about a Republican candidate in advance of an election.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pangstrom posted:

His quotes ended up on mailers etc., pretty sure it would land among primary voters and he wouldn't be able to respond well. But hopefully we'll get a chance to see who is right!

If it comes from a moderator or from a journalist in an interview (weird Biden hasn't been doing interviews...:v:) then yeah I think it hurts Biden a lot.

If it comes from another candidate at a debate, I think the debate format is specifically one where it will minimize the impact. A journalist or a moderator can force Biden to equivocate because of the pretense of neutrality. But with other candidates Biden can just say they're wrong and trying to make it illegal to have Republican friends.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

I haven't seen any of the candidates say anything about the border camps yet. Maybe I've missed it? It seems like a current, pressing issue they'd like to publicly comment on. Did I miss their stances somewhere?

Yeah a bunch of them went to a camp a while back and others have had statements and positions out for months/years.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Bernie won't even promise to abolish the filibuster

Just FYI the president can’t do that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

I thought Bernie had incredible willpower and a mass movement behind him that could overcome any obstacle?

I realize that you don’t believe that mass political power has any effect. But this isn’t the gotcha you think.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Williamson isn’t more anti-vax than most candidates, yet people will 100% give Biden or Harris a pass on the topic while declaring Williamson should be banned from the debates over a comment she retracted and apologized for.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

She's not a serious candidate. Her in the debates is a waste of everyone's time.

That's true for everyone who isn't in the top 5. So if we're wasting everyone's time with Yang or Hickenlooper or Ryan, having Williamson is a good thing since her message is better than than all the other non-serious candidates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The fact that she's the one delivering the message isn't a positive if you want that message out.

So saith you.

And its clearly working better than having no one bringing up these topics at all. Most of the evidence points that way, even if a bunch of op-ed quality centrists really hate her.

Someone mentioning the US's role in SA migration is better than no one. Even if a bunch of people who'd disagree with the message no-matter-what also dislike her.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

This is little more than bullshit equivocation. Pete gave a lovely answer because he clearly hasn't thought the problem through. Marianne literally makes her living off of snake oil bullshit. You're being disingenuous as usual when you equate the two.

Quit acting like little shits and take this seriously.

I am taking this seriously, I hope you can learn to stop insulting people who disagree with you.

Williamson has this to say about vaccines:

quote:

“I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives. I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling and I realize that I misspoke.”

There seems to be two legitimate standards people use in this thread for "anti-vax" either:

1. Opposing vaccines and/or promoting pseudo-science that is anti-vax.
2. Opposing bans on personal and religious exemptions from vaccines.

Williamson is not type 1, she does qualify as type 2, but so does a large chunk of the candidates on the debate stage.

If we're going to say "well, what she said in the 90s was too problematic" then likewise, I think we'll find that most of the candidates on stage had extremely problematic takes in the 90s. Like Tulsi, or Biden, or Warren.

So Williamson serves two valuable purposes, she points out the hypocrisy in the centrists who want us to ignore all their past failures and also she spreads valuable and compelling messages like: our culture is broken or the US is responsible for the migratory crisis.

(There is of course a candidate who didn't have a bunch of poo poo takes in the 90s and is spreading a good message, but people repeatedly request we stop talking about that candidate.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Allowing some nutbag a platform to spread their dangerous bullshit is harmful.

It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if she's in danger of winning anything or not.

Can you quote me which part of what Williamson said on stage that was "dangerous bullshit"?

I don't remember her using the platform for that at all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Iamgoofball posted:

hey can i ask why y'all are playing right into the GOP's hands by sticking to the issue they very specifically exploited to cause division within the ranks here on the left? like, come on, it's obvious

whether warren considers herself native american and whether it's true or not doesn't loving matter right now, or ever really

worry about that poo poo if she makes it to the debate against trump because nobody on the left is going to bother pulling that card unless they're trying to throw things in favor of the repubs

by the way, parroting the GOP's obvious as gently caress hitpiece about warren is really dumb so stop doing it thanks

Funny how that was the line used in 2016 and weirdly enough it backfired then like it would backfire now.

"Shhhh don't mention our weaknesses during the primary that's unfair" is a losing strategy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eiba posted:

So this is kind of a local issue, but I got some insight into how this cuts both ways recently.

The local Native American tribe where I live in Massachusetts has been fighting for federal recognition for a while. Recently an important bill to that end was introduced into the senate by Elizabeth Warren. It was a non-controversial bill, the real issues having been decided before hand.

Trump, presumably having seen the words "Native American" and "Elizabeth Warren" flipped out and made a stupid incoherent tweet opposing the bill, saying it was somehow bad for Native Americans.

There were Republicans calling him out for being irresponsible and loving up the whole process. Getting Trump to make a dumb tweet that pisses off everyone who actually understands the issue is not a huge accomplishment, but this is an example of Trump's obsession with this issue not exactly being to his benefit to him.

Warren hasn't responded to anything Trump has said in a long time. After getting called out for her her dumb genetic test, she listened to the backlash and seems to have learned. Even that test was a misguided attempt at laying the issue to rest, not part of a pattern of Warren engaging with Trump's juvenile barbs.

You're framing this as if Warren isn't still claiming she has Native American Heritage. But this is her website:

So either its OK for her to keep saying she has Native American Heritage (and if so why was it wrong for Harvard to call her a WoC?) or she hasn't learned from the backlash.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eiba posted:

I think basically anyone can beat Trump if they don't suck as bad as Clinton...

That's an opinion that's not backed up by polling. Considering that with the electoral college a Democrat would need to do better than 50% on national polls, as it stands Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris all lose to Trump.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/general_election/

Now you can assume that candidate X will start doing better in the future, but that's different.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any ways to integrate schools other than busing

End school districts for starts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

What do you mean / hope to accomplish by this?

In the US the school district is one of the prime methods of class and race segregation. So if we're not going to physically move kids around, then breaking down the barriers between districts is the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

It was always leading up to this, wasn't it? Motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/TomSteyer/status/1148579342680637440

Proud to say I never fell for this billionaire's "Impeach to save America!" horseshit bait and switch lie trap.

I gather you haven't been following Steyer for long. It wasn't a "bait and switch lie trap" he just constantly decides he has to Do Something then proceeds to get owned.