Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

This is just the logical conclusion of our public health care being destroyed by right wingers cost cutting measures and privatization, most of the nursing homes are run to make profits for their owners. And these articles are talking about when the pandemic just started to hit Sweden, our lockdown measures started in about April of 2020 I think. We never had a "hard" lockdown or mask mandates but somehow did way better than other countries that did (the UK for example).

shut the gently caress up and take the loss, weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

yeah, that's basically my read. the outcome of every 'interesting' mkultra experiment seems to have been little more than driving the subjects past their breaking points. none of the projects achieved any results that a bog standard sex cult couldn't accomplish.

bog standard sex cult would be a good username

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Suplex Liberace posted:

GHWB is no doubt a man with double digit bodys. Hes a stone cold operator freaks me the gently caress out.

Well he also has a stone cold body so at least there's that

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

the swedish government specifically banned Huawei cell masts for a reason so I don't think it's a made up threat

gradenko_2000 posted:

wow who the gently caress wrote this tankie garbage???
the UK government under Theresa May?!?!?!?!

Cached Money posted:

have u considered that both might be bad

just take the loss and realize that the US wants to be the only bad one with systemic hardware-level exploits in global telecom for as long as they can manage it, and Sweden played along as a good peripheral state ought.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

we have our own flawed telecom systems providers we don't need the USA

then why did you need to ban huawei hardware lmao

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I mean Vilerat was literally CIA, there were tons of feds here during the Bush years (even if it was just for fun!). Why would they leave?

Yeah. Always here, never left, mostly just poo poo posting on the clock (and systematically scraping all content and building graphs and sentiment analysis of posts/posters, but that'd largely be automated and likely poo poo quality).

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

It's kinda funny that the US top tier SF guys are the ones engaged in criminal conspiracies, because here JTF-2 was transferred to DND from RCMP because of all the poo poo the RCMP was doing. I wonder what that says about our respective states. The Canadian state is more able to exercise oversight and control of the military than gendarmerie?

It means that DND wanted to muscle in on RCMP's off-books rackets, op

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

poster who has complete faith in the swedish government ftw

nationalism is a hell of a drug

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

500excf type r posted:

Why are they always in the Navy at the beginning

For one thing, the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) is the oldest element of the US intelligence octopus.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Futanari Damacy posted:

And for some weird reason it's the Navy that reports seeing the most UFOs, not the Air Force :tinfoil:

In addition to the very real fundamentalist/evangelical doomsday Christianity problem mentioned by another poster that the airforce has, the navy also has exclusive domain over seaborne activity and, relatedly, more unrestricted airspace for pilots to commune with birbs. But my thread-relevant theory is that ONI has been tracking USO activity for decades - at least as long as we've had the trans-pacific and trans-atlantic sonar webs set up, and the classified tech that goes into the anti-boomer attack sub foe-finding can't hurt - and that if there is a bird/orb FOB, it's probably often or entirely underseas. So they know where to look ahead of time.

That you mostly hear about UFOs and not USOs is partially rooted in ONI knowing how to run a tight...well, you know.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is what I'm getting at. We've mapped so little of the actual seafloor- it's been repeated often that we know more about the surface of the moon than what's beneath the water on our own planet, which personally I would think would be a higher priority. Similar to the climate, the best data is probably held privately by the various oil exploration firms.

Some favorite :tinfoil: theories:

1. A previous (human) civilization- the pre-Deluge society (the Deluge itself being recorded as both fact and legend by different sources) settled its cities on what was the coast at the time. As sea levels rose, these places would have been inundated. Basically this is the "Atlantis" that has been described. So while rising sea levels alone would not be enough on its own to completely destroy the society (though we will find out for ourselves)...

2. ...our sun "turns over" once every ~12,000 years and the resulting release of energy destroys all technology sufficiently advanced to be affected by UV, EMP, gamma ray, etc. on the surface of the planet. Some geologic upheaval is probably induced by the quantity and variety of energy reaching Earth, meaning:

3. The only thing that can survive this cycle is whatever's down there, and time's almost up before it happens again. Could it just be more people, waiting for us to go away before they take their place on the remaining surface after the next "Deluge"? To me this is where the speculation becomes less interesting as it becomes again just a question of "who or what is piloting these things, if they have pilots, or are things at all". Where they come from has always interested me, though, because the answer is not "nowhere".

Anyways, just food for thought.

Hell yeah. #1 has piqued my interest now and again, especially as they start uncovering more archaeological evidence that people were building at least semi-permanent settlements well before the accepted start time.

But I agree the 'wherethefuck' question is the right one to focus on. The 'whatthefuck' will likely follow from that. Or not, haha! Who fuckin knows.

Trauts posted:

Got any suggestions re: where to start on that type of thing?

Hmm not off the top of my head (assuming you were asking me, anyhow). I don't know of any quality histories of ONI in particular, at least. There is some academic stuff about how the Navy adopted a lot of organizational changes in the submarine service to deal with the fact that when you're riding a nuclear reactor hundreds of feet below the surface of the ocean you can't really afford people loving up or, even worse, loving up and trying to hide their fuckup. So they had to establish a culture on subs that, among other things, made the way information flowed up and down the command chain fundamentally different from the surface fleet.

That willingness to drop (some amount of, not all) pretenses of :decorum: in the interest of getting results when making mistakes has serious consequences is the kind of behavior you might expect a high-functioning intelligence organization to have. No idea whether it's as embedded in ONI as it used to be in the sub fleet, though. And it's probably gone out of the sub fleet as terminal neolib brain has conquered everything it encounters.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

borgnar posted:

my dad is a big reagan guy, he really doesn't like talking about iran contra so this will be fun to bring up next time we shoot the poo poo. makes me think of that parenti lecture where he talks about how preposterous the idea is that he didn't know what his people were doing

what a scumbag he was, plus we have the people he brought in to thank for all the continuity of government poo poo

Reagan was a disaster. But we have Nixon to thank for all of it; Reagan didn't bring people in, he brought them back. Or, rather, they carried his idiot-rear end in front of them as a media-friendly totem.

The people that orchestrated the sabotage of the Iranian hostage negotiations were either took their pointers from or were the actual same people that orchestrated the sabotage of the Paris peace talks with the NVA at the behest - though no hard evidence is known to exist that proves he knew in advance and/or greenlit it - of Nixon. Johnson had them dead-to-rights from (naturally) spying on both the South and the North Vietnamese delegations.

I'm honestly confused about why NYT is treating this as some sort of new reveal though. I had thought it was well-established from the declassified Iran-Contra materials and other evidence.

tl;dr Reagan bad, final scene of music video for Killer Mike's Reagan has it right though.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

hapsburg-rear end baby

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

link seems to still work

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/unabomber/manifesto.text.htm

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

It's confusing to me what the neocons were doing supporting Islamist movements after 1991, as pan-Arabism didn't seem to be an expanding threat. I realize they still wanted to knock over Iran, Iraq, Libya and Syria, per PNAC, but it seems that outside of Bosnia and Chechnya, they didn't have much use for them until Syria and Libya, a decade after 9/11.

The timing of the conditions is next to impossible to predict, so you have to have options available, simmering on the range, if you like that can be spun up to a roiling boil when the time is right. There were plenty of paths that Qaddafi, Assad, etc, could have taken between the Soviet collapse and the 2010s that would have worked for the US (or at least they would have thought it would work for them, #whomustgo, etc).

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol. and he was probably CIA before that along with the rest of the PayPal mafia

Motherfucker took their VC money to spin up palantir he's spooked to hell and back

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

War and Pieces posted:

lol at my former boss (museum director) who was convert from punk to lib by the battle of Seattle

they were always lib, op