Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I just remembered the Wiz Biz series (https://www.fictiondb.com/series/the-wiz-biz-rick-cook~10189.htm) which involves a late 80s programmer getting isekaid into a classic western fantasy setting and obviously turns out magic is like programming.

I recall it being goofy fun but it was some years ago so I'm not sure how it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To discover cooking you need somebody that a) was willing to take a mostly-RP subclass, b) level it up, c) knows how to cook IRL, d) has the specific disposition to larp out the act of cooking despite being completely unnecessary as far as you can tell and e) hasn't fallen into depression and ennui.

This is surprisingly difficult to find, especially among the population segment that's willing to stay awake past midnight to day 1 a new MMORPG patch.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jackard posted:

This all sounds pretty weird out of context. Do the ingredients themselves taste fine and the automation just turns it into gruel?

Almost. Raw ingredients taste like raw ingredients, but combining or manipulating them beyond applying some seasoning counts as cooking and would turn into mystery mush for most adventurers.
Conversely, picking a dish outta the cooking menu would deduct your ingredients and give you a very pretty but entirely flavorless finished dish.

So people would have to rely on flavorless food with salt or get used to whatever fruits they have on hand. Can't even chop some veggies for a salad.

There was also the secondary issue that most people could not really handle the transition from "fighting monsters on a screen" to "I am personally stabbing that thing in the head" so there was a huge population of combat-specced characters who wouldn't bring themselves to do the one thing they could do, which would contribute to their depression.
And there was body dysphoria to boot.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 8, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jackard posted:

They can still add salt and pepper? What about other things like sauce or butter? Cheese on a cracker? This plot point seems dumber the closer you look at it.

How'd you get sauce, butter or cheese? Those are all processed foodstuffs.

EVIL Gibson posted:

there's no cereal in the world. just ingredients/grown stuff. you would have to make the cereal from scratch first.

anyway, the main takeaway from the chef discovery is that as long as you have enough skill, know how to do it for real and doubly making sure you don't ever use the command then you can make real things and then eventually, actually invent stuff that wasn't ever in the game.

This is how Shiroe abuses the hell out of his subclass.
Well for most professions the menu-produced stuff is fine if you just want a basic product or component. It's when you want to innovate that you gotta do it yourself. The main issue with food is that "flavor" isn't really a thing that an MMO tracks.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 8, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's what makes it so good though. It's a neverending train of karma.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just for the record while the core gimmick of the manga is various lovely people breaking themselves against the immovable wall that is the protag, there's still story arcs with some other characters, some of which are actually pretty wild.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
But only after figuring out their story, which takes precious time when many of these isekai people are shitheads actively causing harm.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I completely forgot who was the gluttony dude.
e: oh the guy in tama's arc. he really was such a lame guy.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 30, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

I like the horrific demilich necromancer priest turning into the neighborly grandpa who asks you if you'd like some hard candy.

Shame about the good translators dropping it and then six blind centipedes on a typewriter attempting to pick it up again

Just for the record those guys got some proper staff and they've graduated to the lofty heights of "it's okay now". Although I don't think they've gone back to fix those horrific early translations so you might have to power through those.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

VictualSquid posted:

Just read through "The Earth-san Has Leveled Up".
The planet gets isekaied and now dungeons appear everywhere. A cute and fun story.

https://mangadex.org/title/01aa95db-bfc1-4326-9a5c-578e71b04be9/chikyuu-san-wa-level-up-shimashita

Learn how to mage by bonking enough enemies with your magic book.
Too bad it hasn't seen a new release in 9 months.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbf it seems to be based on reaching a certain negative karma threshold which is probably not reachable via occasional bad behavior

lol at drug use being penalized the most. although in japan that often involves meth.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That probably happened but it's not really the aim of the story anyways.

Lord Awkward posted:

Wonder what driving slow in the passing lane gets you.
Probably as much as speeding.

quote:

"But my state legalized recreational marijuanaaaaaa :supaburn:"
I wonder if the penalties are relative to your society.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fellis posted:

Yeah I was thinking about this also, and I think it’s telling what the author decided to show for their example. Would have been much more interesting if there were some wrinkles to the negative karma about pollution, sustainability, etc. and the definition of harming/helping the earth. Also the societal changes it introduces as people frantically engage in conservation/green energy for their own survival, which could all be just in the background kinda quietly.

But nope, do crimes and get killed. Human-made laws are definitely the metric of absolute justice that people should live and die by. Definitely no problems there

You're looking too deep into a manga about cute girls doing cute things.
Seriously, just assume all that stuff is happening in the background where the barely-teenage main character does not know or give a poo poo because there's more fun stuff to do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

General Isekai Thread: I have said all I need to about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

For those wondering what chapter 305 says it says "it's not chattel it's only indenture".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, in the most literal sense it does mean "another world" since it's just written with the kanji of "another (or different/strange, something like that)" and "world" (though I guess you could use "world" in the same way as something like "realm").

I do think stories that don't necessarily involve literal other worlds should still count as the genre, though. Stuff like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is basically isekai.

many isekai are simply "transported into a post-apocalypse" in disguise.
planet of the apes is an isekai too, I suppose

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't worry, it drops every single interesting aspect soon enough.

I remember the manga adaptation stopped after, like, the first arc. I take it the novel takes a downturn?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

khy posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/3b999f4a...i-wo-musou-suru

Interesting story thus far. Dude is Isekai'ed into a fantasy world, beats the demon lord, then all the people are like "NO WAAAAAAY he's too strong! We can't trust him! Let's execute him for being too strong!" which is, y'know, somewhat typical.

However instead of going on a revenge quest or whatever he gets killed and revives... in an alternate japan. In someone else's body. So it's both familiar and unfamiliar to him. He's been granted a new chance at life and so on and so forth.

Only 10 chapters so far. Hard to say if it'll stand out or not but I mean at least it doesn't have a slave harem so might be worth keeping an eye on.

The entire prologue is basically a ripoff of FSN Archer up to and including the MC's motivations so at least it's relatively sensical.
Anyways you buried the lede which is he comes back in a Japan that's about 10 years after he left it and now there's monsters and superpowers on Earth too so he inevitably ends up having to use his own (vastly OP) abilities while trying to keep a low profile.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nitrousoxide posted:

So it's basically a super sentai manga in disguise?
more like modern fantasy stuff, I guess?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's really bad at keeping it a secret to bullies (so he can give them their comeuppance) and hot girls (so they can be impressed by him). so, pretty standard.
he's bad at keeping it a secret in general, but I don't think he's trying to impress anyone. obviously there's a girl that's a potential love interest because this is a manga but it's not overly gratuitous imo.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I read Barbaroi but I kinda got sick of the barbarians being basically elves who are in tune with nature and are super powerful and also are friends with the spirits and etc etc etc.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

thetoughestbean posted:

I realized that I could read the first volume of QA in Another World for free on K-Manga and I’m liking it a lot so far. Leaving a man infinitely falling after he clipped through the world is loving brutal

It's surprisingly grim!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tunicate posted:

For me it went past grim into a sleazy "wait, does the author get off on people being permanently paralyzed but not technically dead since this is happening a LOT for a bunch of different reasons"

It's the realistic outcome for most bugs, really. It's basically what softlock means.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the fact that you can get katsudon and carbonara in the same restaurant as one of those ridiculous parfaits the chef loves to make would be mind blowing to your average fantasy inhabitant. Yet the restaurant to another world is only extraordinary because of its dimensional magics. Another restaurant Isekai is Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" although it has the dumb natives flaw.

Dumb natives? Nobu? What makes you say that?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Schubalts posted:

So I'm on the part of Giant Sister where they're in the capital.
How the gently caress do they keep reaching new lows for the humans of that world? The save point! The hand made accessories! Their whole country is theocratic trash.

I got the impression it was the inevitable reaction to a lifetime of heroes with cheat powers showing up and making a mess of things. They had to learn how to nip them in the bud, and from there to cruelty is but a few steps.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I haven't read that one in years but I vaguely recall hearing the original story was told in diary format hence why the manga is almost all narration.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cynic Jester posted:

Wait, i figured he'd get together with the leader of the Valkyries. Please tell me it doesn't usagi drop. Please

From the spoilers I've seen in the comments it doesn't.
And nothing in the story really presents the 13yo daughter as anything more than daughter, it's just SA posters what SA posters do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Brought To You By posted:

:allears: I could see this joke a thousand times and it will always make me smile. Also Mokomoko just casually off-screen taking out the two spirit royalty members. I'm reminded that she also casually just stopped the administrator downloading those cheat abilities into Tomochika as well. She's just busted in her own right

Honestly the most busted part is that she can channel wifi signals and decode MPEG video streams in real time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Lord Awkward posted:

"Oh brave hero generic salaryman, I have summoned you to this world because you did slightly better than average on your final exams, your department was in the black last quarter, and frankly, you were conveniently available after that truck jumped the curb.

Anyway, I need you to help the people of my world because, I'll be honest with you, they're all very dumb. You get a second chance at life, I'll pay you in rice and miso, and I'll throw in a couple skills to sweeten the deal."
---
"Pfft, [Cure Disease] and [Purify Water]? What incredibly lame skills, unlike my [Lightning Blast Free Throw]. You couldn't pay me to take them!"

"Yes, that's because you're an incredible moron, like all your people. If the free soup wasn't so good I'd ask your god to throw me back into the void."

For the first half: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/a9as6l4/sarariiman-ga-isekai-ni-ittara-shitennou-ni-natta-hanashi
Where the demon lord is also a great boss.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nebrilos posted:

"Hero's Party Want to Experience LOVE" is an isekai, right?

On rereading chapter 1, it should have been obvious to me that Shaayu was a woman based on her figure when she took her breastplate off. I guess I don't pay enough attention. Why does Itsuka get jealous when other characters flirt with Shaayu if he doesn't like it when Shaayu flirts with him?

If a guy that says sweet nothings to any girl hanging off their arm tried to flirt with you, would you actually believe them to be sincere?
Shaayu may be a woman but she's still presenting as a womanizer.

Plus, Itsuka wants to be popular and he probably sees Shaayu as stealing all the attention.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GateOfD posted:

too bad baseball sucks

the story does a good job of selling baseball, fwiw
even if you don't know poo poo about the sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The whole point is that it's not a game, even if he can glitch his way through.