Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

They can't prove anything unless you got pulled over by the sky police

You do not need to interact with or answer any questions the sky police ask. The supreme court even ruled you don't need a sky license to sky drive in any state if you are only traveling.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I think it's ok to be a little racist. I mean just make sure you're not being too racist, but just a little bit is probably ok. It's important to know where to draw the line, but I think it's somewhere between not being racist and being very racist.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That's why I like AKs, they never jamb

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Everyone I've known from military aviation has a story about a ratchet coming up with a missing BB and the whole shop shutting down for 18 hours turning the place upside down until the new guy happens to find it inside a ceiling light fixture

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
https://twitter.com/USArmyesports/status/1277959363030810624

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

I don't really know where to post this other than here

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
One of my coworkers got extremely upset about kneeling football guy whose name I can't remember a while back and made a big deal about how it disrespected his sacrifices for his country and he kept hinting at having been through extreme trauma and stress that only military people would understand.

I've never been in the military and especially never deployed, but I get the picture he's being a bit melodramatic considering he was in the air force and only ever deployed to Germany and Korea?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Wild T posted:

What's the over under on what body part that is?

I'm taking dibs on rear end.

This question has troubled me since I first saw this image.

Noting the hints of varicose veins just to the right of 'fight', the hairs to the left of the bottom 'he's', and what looks like skin folds up above the tattoo, my best guess would be 'I have no clue where this fits in on the anatomy of a normal person'

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Edible Crayons
For bonus points, the image of the crayons is hosted from the army times website

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
A former coworker was army aviation national guard, kept trying to convince me that there was thermite found at the WTC, that aliens and ghosts are real, and that Hillary Clinton has assassinated hundreds of 'dissidents'. He was relatively good humored about it and would accuse me of being CIA sent to spy on him when I told him he was being a moron

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I worked for an FBO that was hosting an airshow and we had a CAP troupe[?] show up with a dumpy excitable CAP leader[?] and a whole bunch of like middle school age kids to help direct auto traffic and to help taxi aircraft around. Their plan was to camp out next to one of the taxiways but they didn't bring tents. Lol

They ended up sleeping in the maintenance hangar

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's fun to watch the credits for Top Gun and compare the callsigns of the characters to the callsigns of the actual pilots who flew for the flight footage. The characters are all these super cool sounding ones and the real pilots are stuff like "Booger" and "Muffins".

If this is the same 'Booger', he more than compensates for his callsign, see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQORXWmGMGk

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I got denied for a benign tumor when I was an angry 18 year old who wanted to go infantry. My uncle who actually did that advises me it may have been the luckiest thing to happen to me

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Why did you let the plane take off with an unsafe condition aboard?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Steezo posted:

Thanks now my right eye is twitching and itchy again.

I have spent a lot of time trying to work against the unending game of telephone that gets people bad info. I hate the pervasiveness of that one in particular.

Did you know that .50 gunners are trained to aim next to enemies, so that the shockwave of the bullet will cut them in half?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

The time's I've spent with National Guard it's been chock full of cops.

I worked with a NG guy who believed the twin towers were a false flag and that Hillary literally ordered the execution of hundreds of political dissidents within the US, a friend introduced another NG guy to our friend group who chose to field service his concealed carry like three times in an hour and tell us about how he had a concealed carry each time, and another NG guy taking a criminal justice program who said in words I won't repeat here that cops wouldn't kill black people if black people weren't inherently violent. I'm sure those were outliers

Oh, and another guy who DUI'd while in the NG reserve and training up to be our workplace's safety guy

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Not military, but I went to Germany and had a blast, it probably helped I spoke German and that my accent sounded Norwegian apparently. The only negative encounters I had were with street scammers and a bicyclist kicking me, but I later found out it was my fault for being on the bike path.

Two of the most remarkable memories I had were a full pudge American family in full tourist regalia complaining about 'why did they build a castle at the top of this huge hill???' In Nürnberg, and a family checking in ahead of me at a hostel that threw a tantrum because 'what do you mean we don't get our own room and own showers? And why isn't there any parking for our rented full size SUV in downtown Nuremberg?'

My uncle got out of the Army after being in the poo poo in Afghanistan and Iraq, and he and his family pretty much just travel around the world now. I'm jealous as hell

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Talk to locals too. I hit all the museums everywhere and budgeted half a day for each, but there's also some stuff you'd never know to look for if people didn't tell you.

If you stay at a hostel you can often find a crew of people to just hang out and explore with. Wound up walking around nearly the entire city of Dresden with these two Romanian dudes and a Peruvian-Australian guy just drinking beer and taking stuff in.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I seem to recall that there was a video from deadliest warrior or something of a 'spetsnaz' guy doing a bunch of drunk looking tactical somersaults in the open to demonstrate something spetznaz and I thought it must have been Sonny Puzikas after seeing that Twitter post but now I can't find the video so I'm not sure it wasn't a fever dream

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Not military, a guy came into the shop at the factory I worked at asking where the zip ties were, I told him they were in the zip tie drawer. He thought I was loving with him so he started poking around in random cabinets while I walked over to the consumables cabinet, opened the drawer labeled 'zip ties' and kept telling him that the zip ties were in the zip tie drawer. I'm not sorry that I wasted an hour and thirty minutes of man hours between myself, the zip tie seeker, and my other coworker who stopped doing things to sit down and watch, because that place sucked.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Kith posted:

Probably a repost, but, y'know. Some poo poo you just gotta post whenever you see it.

There was this one from a while back

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
You're not a real pilot if you haven't landed gear up

Something something never sniped a page

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 5, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
What exactly is there to be upset about? I can't think of anything

E: ah, never really thought about that angle.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 10, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVtsO7MmMM&t=4260s

This whole video is good, but you may not have an hour and a half so here's a portion with a good retelling of Project X-Ray, and exactly how the USAAF base got burned down

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Enough bear puns, you're bruining it

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I would do anything for freedoms, but I won't do that!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
If you want the experience, get a cabin, if that's too expensive, fly. Don't do coach. Trains are cool and good

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Hey guys I'm trying to print things at work on 4x6 paper, but the printer keeps asking for 100x148mm

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My experience is with 'historical' tanks based video game communities, but there's a sort of person who believes without question that Krupp armor is a metallurgical miracle superior to contemporary armor and is capable of defeating contemporary anti tank munitions, and that the 8.8cm guns the Germans had are capable of penetrating any armor, or more generally that German wunderwaffles would have been on equal footing with contemporary technology if only they had had a chance to be fleshed out.

Don't know if they're legitimate Nazis or just watched too much history channel

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I was blessed to get into a days spanning conversation on a tanks game discord about whether an ME-262 could dogfight an A-10. It's a stupid hypothetical in both its premise, and the argument that a 262-U whatever with like a 50mm gun could 'one shot' an A-10 (ignoring the maneuvers needed to make that happen).

The blessed part comes from me being at an air show at the time, at which the A-10 demo team was performing, catching them at a gas station on the way in to the show, and asking them to weigh in.

"So I have a very stupid hypothetical you might find amusing..."

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 23, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

winnydpu posted:

There were a bunch of German tanks used by Syria in the '67 war, including some jadgpanzer IVs. On the Israeli side some of their Shermans had been retrofitted with French 75mm guns that were based on the German 75mm from the panthers. The antique German equipment did not fair very well even back then.

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/panzers-in-the-golan-heights/

They eventually made it better, but early Panthers had a transmission overhaul period of 200km. The turret couldn't hold the gun forward if the tank was on a slope. The French had the option to acquire a bunch of free lightly used German armor after the war to use until they could rebuild their own armored corps and after some trial runs they decided to dump the German tanks in favor of pretty much anything else.

~Juhrman engineering~

SavageMessiah posted:

:justpost: What did they say?

Wasn't super exciting, basically 'lol this plane had like 30 years of technological developments over the 262 when it was new, and it's been iterated on since'.

I considered seeing if they'd let me record them giving an answer so I could super duper well and truly fully own some nerds on the internet and I reconsidered.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
In my technical school was a guy who used to be air force active duty. The course we were both in was basically exactly what he was supposed to have been doing in the air force. He failed out of the course and never got his certification.

He was big on his identity as a redneck, yet when a bunch of us from the course went target shooting once he couldn't hit almost anything. He got drunk and tried to shoot some ducks that were flying by. I wasn't comfortable with this at the time, but in retrospect I should have been terrified

Last I knew he makes fire hydrants

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1445865179930103810?s=20

It happened again

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My favorite tank is the Longstreet

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Kith posted:

Made me think of the thing I saw earlier today:

My favorite iteration of this is 'yeah, he plays airsoft a lot, no he was never in the military'

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
People assume I'm military regardless of what I wear, should I feel guilty for accidentally stolen valoring?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cenen posted:

My whole time at Nellis for all of the sketchy as gently caress places you could find in Las Vegas the only place I remember getting officially blacklisted was a gas station up the street that was selling spice. The owner got interviewed by the news and when asked if he would stop selling spice to get off the blacklist he said he didn’t care and that this was America and to make your own decisions.

Was the owner Hunter S Thompson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Sudanese classmates taught me 'son of a dog', I understand it's the go-to for moms to scold their kids