Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mr Darcy posted:

I’m trying to remember a children’s book it would have been out in the UK probably late 80s to early 90s.
There's a moderate chance it would have been a jackanory story, if not that it's the sort of book that would have been read by the teacher in primary school, roughly year 4 to year 6 in current school year dating (Was probably Lower Juniors to Upper Juniors in my 1980's CofE primary)

Plot points I can remember:

A child goes to a strange world and the first people they encounter are a seemingly sweet couple (man and woman, I think elderly) who lie all the time.

They encourage the child to lie too.

They encourage the child to tell little "white" lies.

There were "little white lies", which maybe weren't that bad and also "black lies" which were a lot worse(?)

The couple/whatever were trying to get the protagonist to lie to make bad things happen? Somehow the worse thing you lie about, it helps wake a monster or do something bad to the world?

Rebecca's World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One of my earliest memories revolves around something I saw on TV. This would've been in the early 80s. I was too scared to see much of it, so I hid behind the couch and ate boogers instead. What I remember:

There's a brother and sister (preteens I think), both posses a magic stone or something
The stones are super delicate, I think one of the kids drops theirs and it's a "holy poo poo please don't be broken!!" moment
They are being pursued by monsters that I think were probably actors in black trash bags
They were in some orange/reddish orange place, like a desert. No grass or buildings or anything
One of the kids puts down their stone or places it somewhere and a beam of light comes out of it, making half an arch in the sky
The other kid gets grabbed by one of the monsters and struggles for a while. Eventually the kid throws their stone
The stone lands and a beam of light comes out of it. This beam of light bends toward the already existing half arch from the first stone, but can't quite make it, the light keeps falling back, then trying again to touch the first half arch. Eventually after a couple tries it makes it and the two half arches make a complete one
The good guys win?

It had a Dr Who vibe/aesthetic, or maybe Land of the Lost. I think about it once every couple of years and wonder what the hell it was

Could this be Under The Mountain?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Hard to describe, somewhere in between I guess? I know it's literally not much to go on, kind of a shot in the dark really.

Is it this? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2466410/

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

Nice!

Finally caught up with the thread, and my white whale hasn't come up yet.

So, the very first video game I ever played as a kid was this really simple hunting game on a Texas Instruments computer. It was basically a shooting gallery type thing where you use the joystick to aim at various woodland creatures. I can't seem to track down the name of it on any of the lists of games developed for Texas Instruments computers, though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is it Pot-Shot from Video Games 1?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh my god neon noodle from looney tunes. I just remembered that. I loooooove that duck.

Anyway, I saw an episode of QI years ago where one of the contestants was talking about skiing behind a water buffalo or ox or something and I cannot find it for the life of me.

here at 5:00?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Shannow posted:

There's a creepy graphic novel that I believe i saw on these very forums many years ago I've been trying to recall the name of, it was about a student and professor cataloging strange features on buildings, like an out of place brick sticking out, becoming more and more obsessed with these weird features, then the professor tells the student to hurry over, as they've made a discovery, and when the student arrives, the door to the office is gone, replaced with a wall, and upon seeing it they forget everything and go back to normal life, anyone know what I'm talking about?

This?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

If there's a like 'find me an SA thread' thread maybe this would be better for that but in some thread there was a goon who ?knew? a guy who had this very strict idea of what the perfect mens suit "should" be
and posted photos of the finished product and it was like this tall lanky white guy with long blonde hair in a mao-collared suit of a garish red and gold brocade fabric
he may or may not have been wearing combat boots with it

another lost SA thread is an E/N thread by a guy who'd never celebrated christmas before and needed to know what people's traditions were so he could make christmas special for his boyfriend

Was it this?

I couldn't find the original thread but I found this one which says it was originally posted by Dienes and also has more pictures.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 18, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

gently caress YES IT IS THANK YOU

e; and the thread links to his deviantart which is full of other fashion decisions, incredible

Nice, for the other person asking I searched the site for mandarin collar and it came up.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I am looking for a video of the spiderman cartoon but its dubbed in another language. Its spiderman falling and hes supposed to be screaming for his life but the VA is doing the most dead pan scream

aaaaa aaaa aaa aaaaa

I always lost my poo poo when watching it but now youtube sucks and i can find it.

Is it this?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

ElectricBlizzard posted:

An early internet sketch. It might have been posted in any of the "find old stuff" threads but i haven't found it after looking. It's a sketch probably called "lesbian boyfriend" Someone rings a doorbell and opens the door "let me introduce you to my lesbian boyfriend" and then there is a dancing montage. The guy opening the door says 'goddamn!" and that stuck for a reason.

Here you go.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Looking for a video clip I saw on YouTube, I think it's from a Korean game show or something. It has Jang Dongmin playing go-stop with an older lady and one other person. The goal is that they're not supposed to speak in Korean, only English, and they get to flick each other if they speak in Korean.

This?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Meatball posted:

A picture from battlefield 1942. It was a picture of an aircraft carrier parked on a hill.

The caption read "There seems to be a porblem"

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I got a request for a cartoon I watched back in the late 90s. It was an American one, I think the style was reminiscent of Beavis and Butthead, featuring a family of at least 3; parents and a kid. The only thing I remember is an episode where the kid has been (mis?)diagnosed with ADD and is sitting in the living room in a sort of vegetative state. He is playing tic-tac-toe with himself, but all that's happening is he's focusing on one of the pieces and says how many dimples it has.

It's very vague, sorry, but I just recalled that fragment out of the blue and I'd like to know what it was.

Is it this part of King of the Hill?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mescal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVdawx607WU&t=1508s

What's the name of this "we are what we are" song at timestamp?

Bart&Baker – We Are What We Are (Wolfgang Lohr Remix) according to the track list.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 30, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

low poly rat posted:

I've got a couple video games I remember loving as a kid that I've not been able to track down.

A kids edutainment game featuring wallabies. I'm pretty sure it was set in an Australia-ish looking campground and opened on one of the bunk-rooms. I was a dumb kid who didn't understand video games so I never really worked out the point of the game. There was a colouring minigame, I think? The wallabies all ran off at the start of the game and I think maybe you were meant to track them down. This would have been probably early 2000s in the UK.

A kids puzzle (maybe?) game about two boys in a spooky castle. The only gameplay I remember was a section where the boys were staring at a table covered in wacky chemicals. I used to love messing around with them. There was also a bit where you had to do incredibly simple 'stop-go' """programming""", where each moving part was a different horror movie monster. As a kid I thought this was the reward for beating the game, but see above RE me being a dumb kid, there might've been more after I never managed to get to. Again, early 2000s UK.

One of the KinderVentures Games?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

looking for a humorous short video of an Eastern European man using a tea bag in increasingly large bodies of water from a few years back. Hopefully it wasn’t a vine and still exists somewhere

Is it this?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Kit Nubbles posted:

Okay, goonmind, help an old goon out.

In the late 80s/early 90s there was a PBS ad break/promo that was a lot of hip hop stars (I want to say maybe Run-D.M.C., Kid n' Play) in addition to Penn and Teller, who said "I'm Penn, this is Teller. Stay Fresh".

I cannot find a video, or even reference to this online. I know the rough time period, know it was on PBS, but I cannot find a reference. Does anyone remember or maybe point me at a PBS archive?

Here you go.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

eating only apples posted:

I might've asked this here before I don't remember.

It was a website called "nowhere" or "no-one" or something. It started as a silhouette of a person sitting at a computer from the side. White background. You could scroll vertically through words and select one, with each scroll there was a keyboard typing sound. Each page had a moth motif that would take you back to the start. You could click through words and view black and white photos, I think. It all felt very melancholy and lonely. Early 2010s probably.

e: i posted it at least twice lol. someone must know it! I'm sure i came across it here!

I'd like to apologize for all this.

Think outside the box.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Sanford posted:

There’s a BBC drama/documentary thing from about 2010 presented as a live news broadcast and based on “what if Russia kicked off.” It ends with the 4 minute warning going off, and there’s a really memorable scene where a reporter in Warsaw goes “we are hearing sirens… I should-“ and there’s a flash and the video cuts off.

For obvious reasons it’s either vanished completely from YouTube, or at least is completely concealed amongst all the actual “what if Russia kicked off” content. Anyone know what it was called, and where it might still be found?

Is it this one?

EDIT: thought it was different but just seems to be a different version of the above.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 27, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Trent posted:

What the hell is the name of this scary-horror-themed tune I hear in so many videos? Here is an example I found today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScfLdnqx8M
Google is not being very helpful

This seems to be claiming copyright for it, the name just seems to mean "background horror theme" if it's true.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Skulker posted:

2) The other was a German rapper's promotional game, you played as a little dude with a mohawk walking along and throwing microphones at enemies, and the platforms and obstacles were the lyrics to the song. I remember he said BEATFLOW a lot.

Was the song this or this?

If so the site would be http://dabrutack.de/game/flash.html, which is on the waycback machine but the game doesn't load for me unfortunately.

EDIT: Looks like it was called jump 'n' rhyme, but all I've been able to find is this hilariously small picture which suggests it's right.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 11, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

King Boo posted:

I've been looking for a functional version of Kissma, a flash game from 'party-tencho'. Articles link back to a defunct site, doesn't seem like anyone made a copy. I considered contracting the creator(s) but haven't been able to find much info on them.

From searching I found this site, which seems to be from the creator?

I wasn't able to get it going, but they do have a Youtube and Twitter

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I posted this a long time ago in the movie thread over on CineD and know one knew:

Around the late 80s/early 90s, Nickelodeon aired a cartoon/movie (probably between 30-60 minutes) about the son of Dracula wanting to be a rock star. (It's an oddly generic enough concept to make searching hard.) I've found one other person online who provided some description as they were searching for the movie, too, which made me come to the conclusion that I remembered what they were talking about and I might have seen more than I remember...

There was something a bit more 'adult' with the humor that I've always wondered if it was not actually a children's cartoon but something that was skewed for an older audience and Nick accidentally got the rights. Things like character complaining that there weren't any virgins left to get blood from, that the Drac. Jr. character's mom only got pregnant due to a one-night stand when she forgot to leave out all the anti-Vampire stuff, etc.

I don't so much want to see it again as I want to figure out just what the heck the tone of this thing actually was.

I did some searching for this and could only find vague references to a "Drcaula Junior" Cartoon from 1986, until I stumbled across this.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 5, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

It was a show called "Behind Closed Doors, With Joan Lunden" and they did an episode about a government training exercise in Atlanta where a terrorist hid a nuke and they had to find it

I've found record of the show but I'm looking for the full episode. My grandpa worked with the NNSA and helped create and develop The Nuclear Emergency Support Team (NEST) and in the training game my grandpa was the terrorist.

He built a fake nuke and drove it from Los Alamos to Atlanta in his motor home.

I don't know about the full episode but the bit on NEST seems to be here

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

nollij posted:

Where did the scahdenfreude thread go?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042273

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

A story (from Tumblr, maybe, but I probably read it on imgur) about a woman who was living with her (abusive?) boyfriend. There was a break-up, or something happened, and she moved out. Her co-workers/work-related friends (bouncers, maybe, or football players, or something else large and imposing) came over to help her pack (uninvited, I think?), and took everything. I think I remember that they even took, like, toilet paper and lightbulbs. I can't remember how it ended.

Web searching takes me to references to the story, but none of the attributions go anywhere.

They got Chipotle.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

eating only apples posted:

A short browser text-based game about a kid transitioning. A pretend calculator app was involved, think it disguised a secret messenger app.

I believe that's A Normal Lost Phone

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
They may have come from here originally?

I found this and this from there but couldn't find the one described unfortunately, it was on collegehumor at some point but that has also gone.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Biplane posted:

Looking for a thread from these very forums, either from ask/tell or tcc, by a guy who moved from the US to Japan to grow and sell weed. It was an amazing look into this guys adventures in Tokyo or wherever. I think it all ended in him getting deported back to the states. Hoping someone has this bookmarked or something :)

I was looking for this but have only found a reddit AMA from them so far.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

Ah, dang. Well, thank you for digging up what you could, at least!

Looks like the wayback machine still has it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210718211352/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorBRIQyZL0

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

A more dystopic one is with a clever kid who goes to a hiring agency for an interview. On his way there he meets a friend leaving the agency, lamenting the tests are difficult. Most of the story is a conversation between the kid and the interviewer who becomes more and more despondent as the story progresses and the kid gets all the questions right, and with the kid noticing the sound of machinery slowly spooling up on the floor beneath. At the conclusion of the interview the kid is asked to wait a moment in an adjoining room, from where he then is teleported into a small holding pen orbiting the moon. The interviewer talks to him over the radio, lamenting his situation as clever people are a threat to society but since he aced the test he's allowed a small respite to enjoy the view. Out a viewing port the kid sees skulls or skeletons also in orbit around the moon. The story concludes with the door opening and the kid being sucked into space.

This one could be The Vacancy, which you can read here.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

A sopranos clip on youtube about paulie asking why pissing, making GBS threads and loving all happen within a 2 inch radius, christopher answers nobody knows and vito says "theyre all sources of pleasure though" to paulie's disgust. It's very funny but apparently hard as hell to find, probably because of the subject matter

e: it's not the bigger clip with tony B using flash cards to study

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NSx6vcDKpI

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Biplane posted:

An old cartoon I watched some time in the early to mid 90s I think. It was about a young duck, or goose, who may have been a prince, and I think his family is killed early on? I remember thinking it was very sad. The duck travels through the countryside to do... something. There was famous classical music for the score. I actually heard one of the pieces of music today and it made some neurons fire for the first time in 30 years to bring back this vague memory and drive me crazy.

Alfred J Quack?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Been looking all day for this youtube channel, it's usually just his face as complete flat black shadow or close to, with only visible teeth and eyeglasses which are pure white. I think he even had a video no how he does the effect. Searching only got me crud about shiny anime glasses or how to make glasses that glow or weird creepypasta commenter channels. I think his videos had something to do with VFX or production of media over reading crap from reddit. Seemed like high effort deals, not just a talking head churning out videos every month/week/day. He had a super sinister gravelly voice effect and used really exaggerated poses and mouth shapes and kind of staccato frame timing to make it feel more animated or dynamic motion. I don't think he was obscure or anything either, just can't find it at all now. At one point I thought his real name might've been James but that made searches much worse. Searching teeth at all always got me to real images of dental exams n poo poo.

James Lee? Looks like you were very close.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Definitely not; I might have found TRsRockin through this other site, because I was a regular on there back in the day too. I even had a few (extremely exaggerated) glitch stories posted there. It was such a great website but this other one was very much focused on video clips and had a totally different design.

Is it this one?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Back again because I just remembered a mystery that has perplexed me. It's not so much finding something half-remembered as it is identifying something obscure.

In high school I stumbled upon the Newgrounds Audio Portal and ended up with some random music downloaded that I really dug. One of the songs that I really fell in love with was this trance song called Where You From..., which I've uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9FiWGy3-t8

I can't find the original page this song is from, though luckily I was pretty anal about metadata in high school so I found the artist's Reverbnation page, but what I really want to find out is where the vocals in this song are from. It feels like I should know, because the voices and dialogue sound so familiar, but no matter how much I try and Google the words in the song it doesn't seem to match any movies that come up. Does anyone know what it's from?

Easy Rider

The original page, since deleted it looks like.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2024

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mid-1990s, probably. Likely ESPN. Might have been an early This is SportsCenter ad.

Someone is singing crooner-style version of songs at sporting arenas. Might have been all baseball. One is a Dean Martin-ish version of the Darryl Strawberry Daarrrrylll chant.

For those unfamiliar, this chant was everywhere Strawberry was from here in 1986 to the end of his career . The Simpsons even referenced it.

Anyway, I thought about this ad out of the blue and am looking for it.

This one? I've seen the Simpsons bit before but didn't know it was a real thing.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 6, 2024

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

FaxMachina posted:

There was an ancient CYOA story that involved a Bronze Age god that was called the madgod. I don't recall if it even had a conclusion, but I can't find anything in google or archives that it even existed. Does anyone have a summary of that story?

The Land Between the Rivers - You are the MadGod?

ishikabibble posted:

I think I asked it before in this thread, but there's a weird, professionally produced music video I remember from maybe ~2011 or so? It was on Vimeo, and it was an instrumental rock song and the entire video was a remarkably explicit bit about a woman getting progressively more and more intimate with a guitar, stripping down until she was basically grinding it while naked.

I swear this isn't goon sourcing porn, it's just something that's stuck in my head ever since I saw it because of just how explicit it was for being on Vimeo and 'girl grinding guitar naked music video' isn't exactly the most useful google search...

“030” by The Good The Bad?

Zathril fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 8, 2024

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Ok I KNOW there was a Lonely Island sketch where they’re on a stakeout with and one of them jokingly suggests “heh, what are we gonna do, suck each other’s dicks?” and then it happens over and over. Very fake moustaches. It ends with them chasing a perp as their pants are unzipped and falling down. Could be wrong about it being Lonely Island but I recall it being Jorma and Andy

I combed the “itt we’re on a stakeout” thread and didn’t see it posted

B.P.D? I could only find a private video so had to go through the internet archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Xotl posted:

A short film (IIRC black and white, and Soviet, maybe Russian) about the Great Terror.

The protagonist is trying to show that the accusations against people are false, even absurd, but Soviet bureaucracy and alarmism are making it very difficult. At the end he eventually succeeds in getting across that the "proof" is all ridiculous. However, the seemingly hopeful public revelation that people are making absurd charges and getting people killed is twisted in the end: the people making the charges are making a mockery of the Soviet legal system and thus undermining the state, and so more purges are required.

It's not long, but it was quite compelling.

Zashchitnik Sedov?