Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
In the early-to-mid-90s, I remember seeing part of something on TV that scared me. It was a TV show or movie, and there was something like a ghost trying to escape from being sealed inside a cistern or water tank. It banged on the metal door of it. Later on, it succeeded, and it killed someone it possessed by basically forcing them to get hit by a subway train.

It was at my grandparents, so it likely would have aired on broadcast television (or maybe cable, but nothing exotic like HBO).

The weird thing is, years later, I think I saw part of it again in a segment of a show that was discussing TV pilots that ended up being aired as telemovies instead of going to series.

I’ve posted about it before in other “lost things” threads, but no luck so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doctor Eckhart posted:

I have memories of a virtual pet PC game where you took care of a dog in the late 90s/early 2000s. I think the dog was brown. There were multiple areas, but I only recall the huge garden (which was always night time/gloomy) where you could play fetch, and a bathroom where you could go give the dog a bubble bath. There was a real sinister vibe to the whole thing, similar to Courage the Cowardly dog, but it was definitely not a tie-in. It could have been an indie game.

I think there was a bone shape in the title, but I don't know what the title was. Previous searches for virtual pet games have come up only with ones that are not this.

Would this be some variant or version of Dogz?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dell_Zincht posted:

A children's book about a young boy who decides to turn himself into a petrol pump as he is unhappy with his life.

:same:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Blue Moonlight posted:

In the early-to-mid-90s, I remember seeing part of something on TV that scared me. It was a TV show or movie, and there was something like a ghost trying to escape from being sealed inside a cistern or water tank. It banged on the metal door of it. Later on, it succeeded, and it killed someone it possessed by basically forcing them to get hit by a subway train.

It was at my grandparents, so it likely would have aired on broadcast television (or maybe cable, but nothing exotic like HBO).

The weird thing is, years later, I think I saw part of it again in a segment of a show that was discussing TV pilots that ended up being aired as telemovies instead of going to series.

I’ve posted about it before in other “lost things” threads, but no luck so far.

I finally solved this one! I decided I was going about it backwards, and decided to find the TV pilots show instead. After some searches about TV pilots aired as movies, I eventually came to Lee Goldberg’s “The Best TV Shows That Never Were,” a book that was later packaged as a one-hour TV special (viewable here).

Midway through, they had a segment on the horror/thriller genre. And what’s there? A spirit possessing people and a guy ending up getting thrown in front of a subway car.

It turns out I saw the 1995 NBC single airing of a pilot-turned-telemovie for The Omen. It’s easy to see why nobody would make the connection, since it literally has nothing to do with the film The Omen.

You can check it out here if you’re interested in watching a potato-quality encode of a bad 90s show.

Turns out my recollection was a little hazy, but pretty close. The ghost was trapped in a missile silo, not a cistern, and the ghost didn’t possess someone onto the subway tracks, but rather the hero pushed a ghost-possessed person onto the tracks where they were then electrocuted and hit by the train (the ghost got away, of course).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:siren: DO NOT GOOGLE NERMAL SUCTION CUP IF YOU DON'T WANT FREAKY SEX TOYS FOR MEN IN YOUR BROWSER HISTORY :siren:

Do you want Nathen Mazri? Because that’s how you get Nathen Mazri.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

evobatman posted:

Didn't this happen in Harold & Kumar 2?

Eurotrip did “a stoner mistaken for the pope”, I believe.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

FilthyImp posted:

I've always wondered if the beginning has a Madonna clip. There's a female voice that sounds like her.

That’s one of them!

Wikipedia posted:

The beginning of the song features a radio scanning through FM stations; among the songs played are Jewel's "Foolish Games", Roy Orbison's "You Got It", and Madonna's "Vogue."

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

rodbeard posted:

I want to find the songs from the robocop meets anderson cooper songwriting contest that happened on these forums probably about 15 years ago. They used to be in a front page article but the links have been dead for years.

I have Live from the Lab somewhere, hope it’s not on my dead Mac. I’ll keep an eye out.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Looking for an old meme which I’ve lost on a dead hard drive. It’s a woodcarving of a guy and a man who looks very tired and is implied to be (or is) Louis Pasteur. The guy is saying something like “Hey, look forward to your presentation on pasteurization. Anyway, gotta take my kid to soccer practice.” And Pasteur says, to himself, something like “Oh poo poo I guess I have to figure out how to pasteurize something now.”

It is currently of surprising relevance to my job, and everything I’ve Googled just results in images about pasteurization.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

this sounds like a false memory/dream I had/fetish thing but I swear to christ I remember seeing this and want to prove it to myself. I think I saw it linked from SA.
does anybody remember a music video floating around a good few years back:
I.
- on vimeo because it was too "hot" for youtube
- two swedish white girls
- rap song??? had some singing. can't remember but I think they rapped too, it was in english
- seemed to have a budget
II.
- was about taking a poo poo and then rolling the poo poo into a joint and then smoking it, fully literal with no metaphor or poetic language - a line of the lyrics end-rhymed with the word "feces"
- did not appear to be a joke in any meaningful way, though thinking back this really puzzles me
- the singers appeared at least topless if not naked in the video, which was almost unwatchably gross/literal (making out while liquid poo poo/nesquik poured on them etc.)

Are you sure SA didn’t band together and pay to produce this ourselves?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

lowcrabdiet posted:

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/index.php?date=012609
I searched for pasteurize 'comic' instead of 'meme'

Nice! I think wherever I found it before had chopped the watermark. Thanks!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

!Klams posted:

In fairness, I haven't looked in over ten years, but "a black and green trucker cap, that is ONLY black and lime green / similar shades, with no text or other colours".

I remember saying this was a white whale to my friend at uni, and he was like "my mate has a skate shop, I'll hook you up". Saw him a few days later, he was wide eyed "you're right, theres no such thing!!!"

These days with etsy and the like I'm sure I can find one, and so now I'm off to try.

Would this work?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It looks like it might be made of craft foam? If so, it might just be a craft foam sticker over the top of a standard thumbtack.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
That is a drat fine example of just how tryhard UPN advertising was. As is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__8aS105PDE

LUST IN SPACE. Starring Harry Kim!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, here's one that someone will probably get instantly:

A nickelodeon show, somewhere between '90 and probably '96. It was a documentary that featured a bunch of shots of the interior of a school. It was about kids/teens that suffered from, I guess, depression. Like they were suicidal or something like that. This has to be a real thing and not a dream. It was maybe? done in an all interview format.

Was it a (incredibly depressing) series, or a special? If it’s the latter, it sounds like something they might have done under the Nick News (with Linda Ellerbee!) banner - I recall them doing a special explaining the Clinton impeachment.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, I got one that’s been bugging me for like two decades. Back in the late ‘80’s there was an arcade machine that was about the size of a Pac-Man table but it was white and circular, you weren’t meant to sit at it. The middle was a black bowl sort of like those ‘black hole simulator’ things you’d role a penny down at natural history museums. Anyway, it was a hologram of, from what I recall, two cowboys having a shoot-out. It wasn’t all that fun to play but it blew my 8-10 year old mind just watching it. Any ideas what that was?

Might it be this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 18, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

shelley posted:

I don’t have the document... but here is the thread itself, if you want to reread it. There are some long excerpts from the story posted in the thread, if that helps.

Relevant to the current conversation, I also found the original Brian-san thread, along with an off-site mirror of some of the stories.

Amusingly, if the Sonic thread is a reference to Sonic in “The Search for Love,”, I archived a bunch of that nonsense too. However, it’s been eaten by Tindeck’s closure, so I think all the links have to be updated to point to archive.org somehow.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

yaffle posted:

I may have posted this here before but I'll try again: I thinks it's from a later season of Miami Vice, definitely an American buddy cop show. The two series stars are getting long in the tooth and young fierce streetwise grungy cops are going to replace them. There a scene with a drug bust in a house, one of the younger cops is going up to the house and the old ones can tell his cover is blown and try to warn him, but he's young and foolish and won't listen and the bad guys shoot him. This happens in slow motion with cool music. I've been looking for it for years.

Amusingly, this came up in my Twitter feed, and it sounds very similar:

https://twitter.com/dannydutch/status/1422857906102411266?s=21

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sid Vicious posted:

that cat on his shoulder is aces

I’m pretending the cat is operating the man like a marionette, à la Remy from Ratatouille.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

rodbeard posted:

I want to find the songs from the robocop meets anderson cooper songwriting contest that happened on these forums probably about 15 years ago. They used to be in a front page article but the links have been dead for years.

Almost one year to the day later, I've finally fought with my dead Mac and was able to retrieve my oldest files.

Here's a Google Drive link with all the audio I had saved from "back in the day" Something Awful. Not a huge treasure trove, but it includes some chiptune/NES style remixes of popular music, and the only song I retained from that contest, the lost hit Live From The Lab.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Professor Shark posted:

There was an aerial map showing where a bunch of billionaires with fallout shelters in NZ had built them that I really want to find. One guy has two!

Well, do you expect him to summer in his nuclear winter fallout shelter like a millionaire?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Not sure exactly, but it feels a lot like Yahoo Messenger circa 2004 or so.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ishikabibble posted:

It was an old article, maybe from the late 00s even? But it was talking about Japan's 'Galapagos phones' and how they were making it difficult for the iPhone to make a dent into the market there, despite its success in the west.

I recall when emoji were a feature added for and gated specifically to Japan to iOS to encourage market share. Possible that tying that in to your search might help dredge up something.

EDIT: I remember downloading an app that nominally did something stupid, but secretly unlocked the emoji keyboard! poo poo was wild back in the day.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for the ending of this conservative Christmas movie. All I remember is a kid is on stage and there is a cut to a flashback, or maybe some footage of this guys last report, about some soldier in a cheap looking bunker talking about freedom and why he’s fighting. Then he gets blown up. The crowd cries and gives a slow clap.

This sounds like Last Ounce of Courage. I think this Seanbaby review captures its insanity nicely.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I am concerned that the chili flavor is “surprising.”

The ability to surprise is not generally a quality I appreciate in a condiment.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Techno Remix posted:

This is a weird one that I’m barely half-remembering from many years ago so it might not even exist, but back in the day I’d bought Myst on CD-ROM for the PC. A friend from school told me you could look up the video files for the books in the library where the brothers would tell you the code for the fireplace and you could run through the game really quick that way. You could, and that was no problem.

While fooling around with the other files on the disc, I remember finding another executable on there. It was another point-and-click game in third person, and it was set in either Ancient Greece or Rome. I only remember a few screens, but there was a ship that left a dock and the rock cliffs in the distance split open to let it through then closed when it was gone. There may have been a room with an oven and another with silks. I vaguely remember a scene where the player may have been from the future and had to take the form of one of the ancient Greeks/Romans. I haven’t thought about this in years and can’t remember much more for the life of me, but I’m pretty sure it was on the actual Myst disc.

Someone elsewhere mentioned a game called Wrath of the Gods but that doesn’t appear to be it. I can’t find anything made by either Cyan or Broderbund from that time (1993-1994) that seems to match it. Again I might be making it up based on how long ago it was, but I can’t find anything relating to “other games or demos also on original Myst CD-ROM”.

The cliffs and boat thing definitely reminded me of Wrath of the Gods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsnvuYKKi_s

I think I played the demo for it on a Mario Teaches Typing CD-ROM, of all things, and Interplay wasn’t the publisher of Wrath of the Gods. Archive.org seems to be down right now, or I was going to dredge through some ISOs.

EDIT: Whoa, actually found some box art suggesting it was distributed by Maxis, which would make way more sense for where I would have seen it as a demo. Also references to showing up as a demo on the SimTower CD-ROM, which I definitely had.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 25, 2022

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should also point out that the character was originally designed by Rob Liefeld and was extremely generic until a new team took over the book and gave the character a complete redesign in issue 23.

☑️ No feet
☑️ Inhuman anatomy
☑️ Dressed in lingerie/swimsuit (women) or pouches (men)

Yep, it’s a Liefeld.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A picture I remember seeing somewhere of a gig (?) of memory in 1990 in a gigantic storage device as opposed to a gig of memory in, like 2013 in a pocket sized thumb drive.

Is it from Johnny Mnemonic? Keanu Reeves’ character was carrying a massive 320 gigabytes of data in his head, dating the movie’s production forever.

Kind of lovely quality, but it was quoted on the poster and/or box art:

EDIT: rereading your post maybe makes it sound like you were looking for a data graphic or something, not a questionable 90s action movie, lol.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Yo_vLDczQ

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Beardcrumb posted:

I'm trying to remember a point and click adventure game on PC from the 90s (I think). It had static image screens and very simple graphics. It began in a city and then you quickly ended up in a fantasy world after going through a sewer or something. It's been on my mind for years and I can't figure it out.

Sounds sort of like Dare to Dream.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a song I used to play to crack up my partner.

As long as you’re not using cbat to seduce your partner…

TIFU / My (20F) girlfriend of two years told me the music that I (25M) play during sex is weird and a major turn off

quote:

A little back story; when I first started having sex I researched into ways to be better as I was a little stiff and pretty much had no idea what I was doing. I read online that you can play music and match the rhythm in order to put on a better performance.

I searched love making songs and started slowly creating a playlist in which I was comfortable matching the rhythm.

There are a few songs to my playlist. However there is one song in particular, which actually happens to be my favourite, that my girlfriend hates and says turns her off in a major way.

I don’t understand why it has taken her two years to tell me she hates that song, it’s a good love making song with good rhythm. I feel the way I hosed up is I could have possibly asked her previously if she likes the playlist or any songs she’d like to add/change. But to leave it for two years thinking our sex life is great but in her eyes has just been ruined by my music has left the whole situation feeling awkward and I’m a bit annoyed.

I pretty much played this tune every single time so the amount of times she must have not been enjoying it, when I thought the complete opposite is annoying but also embarrassing in ways.

Not to mention my previous partners, however they never complained about the song so maybe it’s just her?

It’s hosed up the relationship tbh because sex feels awkward now. The other day we were having sex with no music but I was still thrusting to the tune playing in my head. She recognised this and asked me to stop.

I thought this song was perfect and I always thrust along with the tune and feel it gives me the perfect rhythm for doing the deed to. I usually bust to this song and find it devastating she hates the song.

the song itself

TL;DR She hates my love making tunes and didn’t tell me for over two years making sex now awkward.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
This one?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Livo posted:

This would be far simpler to look up in the day before lovely SEO optimised search engines. There was a short .gif or video roughly 15 years ago made from the first Scream movie & Return of the Jedi combined. The video has the girl stuck in the garage door, who then dies jammed against the ceiling as the door is opened. The very next scene after her death is Han Solo shrugging with a nonchalant look on his face as he's trying to re-wire the bunker keypad. I thought I had a copy of it on an old folder but no luck. Does anyone remember this or have a copy of it?

The first GIS result for scream garage door han solo gif (spoiled for folks squeamish about horror movie death):

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Someone’s most formative sexual experience was Sin City, wasn’t it?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zathril posted:

Is it this one?

The quote reminds me of something I quote frequently, but I no longer remember what it’s from.

It’s someone replying, emphatically, “SOMETIMES THINGS JUST HAPPEN, OK?” as an exceptionally poor excuse. I’m pretty sure it was a TV show or movie…which probably doesn’t narrow it down. There’s a part of me that wonders if it was a Flash animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Deseret Beige and the Case of the Salamander Letter?

;)