Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

namesake posted:

Consciousness raising is liberal activism bullshit, you use awareness to build power or you fail.

I'm extremely glad that my criticisms and scepticism that I expressed in April are more widely acknowledged now.

Citations Needed had a great bit about this - how marches used to be an instrument of change, and were useful because they drummed up support and the like for other action. But now marches have become an end in themselves, so people can say "look how many thousands we had" and then go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Make it like a Goon Brexitcast.

If I want several hours of strangled wordless screams I'll start recording my therapy sessions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ffs you put two teabags and two sugar cubes into a sports direct nug, walk to the kitchen area, put the milk in while the kettle is boiling, pour the hot water in, walk back to your desk making sure nobody can see into the mug cos it just looks like milky water at this point, wait 5-10 minutes for it to metamorphose into tea and then you fish the bags out with either a knife or the end of your pen.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah, it's really awful seeing all these white labour MPs targeting tories entirely on their race.

Oh wait, Clive Lewis is BAME.

Oh and so is Kerry-Anne Mendoza.

And Ash Sarkar.

Interesting piece of context that he skips over there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Love the people who always pop out of the woodwork to post "but then we'll just get mass knifings instead!"

And it's like, well, no, because those aren't really a thing, but even if they were nobody ever managed to kill anyone with a knife from the top of a clock tower. Contrary to what ninja anime would have you believe, it's not really possible to fatally pepper a crowd with daggers from a hundred yards away.

Remember the London Bridge attack, a seemingly very organised and well planned attack where three people managed to stab... 8 people to death.

As opposed to "one half-assed lone gunman" regularly hitting double digit death tolls.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wait wait, Biden's the self-congratulatory liberal white guy?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There was some big new scientist article a few years back that basically argued that too - humans trained dogs, but cats just kinda acclimated to civilisation without much input from people. Apparently they only meow if humans are around?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

What I find weird is when I was in school 20 years ago literally nobody played D&D or any other RPG. There were a couple of kids who played Magic and I played Warhammer & 40K for a bit, but there were no tabletop RPGs at all. And now I'm older I see all these people talking about their TTRPGs games on Facebook. It's a bit funny but also I'm mad and jealous.

The guys at DMOfNone have a great episode where they rip into all the nerd gatekeeping poo poo as a response to this. "I can tell people I run a DnD podcast, and they actually continue the conversation"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

The smoke coming from the chimneys becomes quite a bit more aromatic.

Doesn't HMRC destroy seized cannabis by burning it for power generation?

Well that's one way to get a high voltage

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Here's something that touches on about half a dozen different chats that have been lively in previous threads, as well as classical music and camp:

This seems a lot of words for "things I like are good, things I don't like are bad"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I think it's more than that. It's not ranking them good to bad, but on whether they aim to be highbrow or lowbrow and whether they deliver on that.

Something that aims low and delivers low (trash) can be enjoyable as hell, something that aims low and delivers high (camp) can be fun too, but they are qualitatively different things.

Like with Alien vs. Aliens or The Terminator vs. T2 in previous threads, people always argue over ranking them because they're completely different genres with the same title and lead stamped on them.

I guess I don't fully understand anything that calls 2001 camp - it's incredibly po-faced and serious. I always interpret camp as having some aspect of being tongue-in-cheek or salacious, like True Blood. And I'd say your definition of trash (and whoever it is you quoted) is way more applicable to the Kitsch column (nearly all of which are enjoyable) than the trash column (which are just ghastly)

Also the list is written as a joke rather than to illustrate the point, as Empire Strikes back and the Schumacher batmans (batmen?) are much closer to opera than anything in the Camp column.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I like that they actually provide evidence to support Ripptoe's claim that "strong people are harder to kill, and generally more useful".

It's somehow tongue in cheek and completely dead serious. It owns.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Facehammer posted:

Quite the opposite, if anything.

And computer touchers and engineers are infamous for attempting to apply their skills in their field to stuff completely outside it, which has terrible consequences for us all. Someone attempting to apply sociological theories to hard science (*cough* Lacan *cough* Sokal affair *cough*) is just an irritating distraction, but Facebook claiming (whether or not they actually believe it) that more data and observation and algorithms can solve homelessness and global warming is contributing to the dystopian libertarian nightmare that we live in.

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought the whole point of progressivism is to live in a society where no one is mocked for anything other than causing explicit harm to others (in which point fire away with extreme prejudice).

This is really weird to me - there's nothing about leftism that stops you making fun of people - the problem is when humour is used as a way to oppress and reject people's opinions. My lab is very international in its makeup, and everyone is constantly ribbing each other for dumb poo poo their country does, or when they inadvertently embrace a national stereotype with gusto.

Look at the Last Leg for a good example. Mocking the disabled is an awful thing to do, but jokes can be a way for people to build solidarity and show support for the difficulties they all face.

Also, some of the stuff they come out with is savage

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I've also read most of Consider Phlebas and not really gotten into it - although the cannibal island section was pretty cool. I should get around to finishing it.

The final section is really really good, and the actual ending and epilogue is a drat masterstroke.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Post about nicer stuff.

Was my sisters wedding yesterday, and it was brilliant. Kids were cute, music was great, and instead of a wedding cake they had a massive pile of cheese.

I did a reading of an abridged version of Baz Luhrmans "Wear Sunscreen" and it went down even better than I hoped it would. The speeches were touching, but also savage with memories of all the childish tantrums, speeding tickets, and how my dad caught the groom licking gravy off his plate.

Hopefully I can sneak off with a big chunk of Yarg this morning.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Marmite is alright, but the God-tier salty goop to go on buttery toast is

(for bonus points: spread it on your buttery toast, top with scrambled eggs, then chuck on a few anchovies, a handful of capers & some parsley. It's called scotch woodcock & it is the brunch of kings)
E: also chuck a teaspoon into stews, gravies, sauces or literally anything that you're cooking for a real nice rich umami flavour. Cut back on the salt tho

That shits delicious, but I can hear my kidneys complaining just looking at it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gently caress the Telegraph.

They have a story "man suspended after telling colleague" I like some good baps"while looking through her shopping basket"

Oh god, it's pc gone mad, can't say anything, just bants innit loony left.

The actual article (which nobody ever reads) also mentions that he groped her a bunch of times and regularly harassed her.

Fuckers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I like Agricola but Mrs Boat got really good at it and unless you hyper aggressively start expanding your house and loving from the first turn she will stomp you.

But enough about your sex life

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

A literal demon from hell would at least not pretend to be otherwise

Also what the hell is "euro style" boardgames? Just those complicated ones with several turn stages and complex sets of rules?

"adult boardgames, but not sweary-sexy adult like Cards Against Humanity, adult like actual strategy, and there's not much random chance, and also the boards are weird shapes"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the name of those weightlifting doctor bros with the cool essays? I've tried googling every variation of [weightlifting] [doctor] [bros] who write [essays]

Edit: Goddamn thats a way better name.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 22, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Hahaha, yuuup.

Took a random .dat file from some game, renamed it to 'English essay.doc' or whatever, they open it up and see loads of random characters. Or just the old empty disk.

When my dad was doing IT contracting he spent weeks chasing the client for some important file, and when it arrived it had that same corruption garbling.

Being a suspicious bastard, he spent a little time with a hex editor trying to coax it back into a usable format. The file began: lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aren't poo poo houses traditionally at the smaller, thinner end of the brick house scale? Built like a brick 2 up 2 down, now that'd be intimidating.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Also that's still £4.2k a year even if your family eats clearance chinese every meal forever, on top of rent, electricity/water/etc, clothing, transport, and I'm not even factoring in vacations and entertainment because as we all know the lazy poor don't deserve distractions from their miserable existence

Wow. I mean, it's a charity drive so I kinda feel bad saying this, but this guy is really bad at reading Shakespeare

I know poo poo all about theatre, but I really hate it when people go all overblown and melodramatic with Shakespeare. As a complete novice you can go and see any performance of his stuff, and you can instantly feel how much better it all sounds when delivered casually and nonchalantly. Yeah, it can be complicated words, but it's not complicated to the characters, it should just drop off the tongue. Which actually improves the complication!

Take the intro to R&J for example. It's two (probably) drunken lads duelling with wordplay. You can't deliver that poo poo with dramatic portent without sounding like a raving lunatic. You've got to do it with casual detachment. It's just bants after all. Just bants.

I've only seen clips of the BBCs King Lear, and Anthony Hopkins seems far too much on the dramatic powerful side. The best delivery comes from his daughters and Emma Thompson, the intricacy of the language dissapears and you get raw and natural performances.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I really enjoyed Andrew Scott's Hamlet on the Beeb from a couple years ago, he's real good at making it seem like the thoughts are just occurring to him (i.e. acting)

Ooh that's a great way to sum it up. Olly sounds a bit too gabbly, like he's trying to get the words out as fast as he can.

Which,well, its a charity stream.

I'm having a poo poo time right now goons. Was talking to my mates about the Deer Hunter, and my mum always made fun of my dad about it. They went to see it when they were first dating, she loved it be he was properly traumatised. Like, white as a sheet and needing a sit down after. I've never seen it, and now I've forever missed my chance to wind him up.

I know that's a trivial thing, but that's how my family roll. We were always close, but in a very casual way. Never talked about our feelings cos we never needed to. And these small moments loving suck. When I think "this is fun, I must tell dad" and I loving can't.

And my PhD wasn't in a good place even before he was taken ill, and has proceeded to crash and burn all this year. Thinking of jacking it in and joining the NHS scientist scheme instead, which seems right up my street. But Christ I'm tired of always running when things get tough, I'm tired of running from things. This PhD was the first time in almost a decade I've had something to run towardsand I feel I've buggered it all up.

That's my putting rant for the day

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

When my grandmother was alive I found her hard to talk to because she was obsessed with me, largely because she was obsessed with my father as well before he died, but I still occasionally wish I could tell her about things, or ask her thoughts on something.

That's sort of how life works, people are hard to talk to, there's always something that gets in the way, then when they die nothing is in the way any more but they aren't there either.

Your university should have some measures in place for extenuating circumstances re: your studies, though whether they are harsher at PhD level I don't know. Either way it might be worth speaking with your academic advisor or equivalent to consider at least a break, perhaps, if you think it would help you put your head straight.

Yeah, been talking to my supervisor about taking a break. He's really understanding, which is a blessing.

Niric posted:

You know more poo poo about theatre than you think. Hamlet/Shakespeare totes agrees with you:

This is wonderful. Dude must have been salty about people loving up his stuff.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO you can even have that thing write poo poo that makes more sense than the actual Jordan Peterson, the Meat Professor:

I'm really sad the Jorp voice-synthesiser has gone offline. I had great fun feeding it overwrought fantasy-epigraphs to read.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Falkirk is a garbage place full of garbage people. Source : I'm from Falkirk.

The Falkirk wheel is great fun if you enjoy seeing people being completely incapable of understanding the archimedes principle.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CoolCab posted:

to play devil's advocate, this leads to considerably more drain on the NHS then if you take terrible care of yourself - taking care of the very elderly is incredibly expensive. with that said i can't really ethically recommend anyone eg taking up smoking, fried mars bars and black tar heroin in order to protect the nhs :v:

Free bungie jumps and hang gliders for the over 60s!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

turns out he's devotedly loyal to his wife and treats his female employees with 10e25 of the respect they normally receive from Japanese corporations

It's almost like being open and honest about sexuality is the key to having respectful relationships. Huh. Who knew?

RabidWeasel posted:

:stonk: I am bad at joke apparently

The biggest "oh I'm a loving idiot" moment I've had with Prattchet is when I found out that the climactic fight in Feet of Clay is just the end of Terminator 2.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

I take it back, there is no hope for you and you deserve everything that's happening right now.

Black pudding and pear sounds pretty good, but that pastry is an abomination. Either they did hot water pastry instead of cold, or cold instead of hot. I don't know enough about pastry to diagnose it fully.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Do the Days of Brown come before the Salad Days, or after the Dog Days of Summer?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Not to mention how Harry himself is just not that great of a protagonist. It's kind of hilarious how Snape at one point claims "[Harry] has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre in the last degree." because he is 100% right.

This is actually something I really like about the books. Harry is explicitly not really qualified enough for all this Chosen One bullshit. Hermione and a good 70% of the Weasley's are significantly better at wizarding than he is.

But Harry is brave. And committed. And he knows what is right. He knows where to apply the few talents he does have. And he'll share those talents with anybody who needs them. And he'll put himself in harms way for a complete stranger, no matter the odds.

That's a good lesson for kids I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have yet to read The Shepherd's Crown, and even thinking about it, knowing what it's about I start welling up. Dude was special to a lot of people