Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Just nothing between the phone handset and the coffee machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Tomato ketchup on toast is also an option you wouldn't expect to be tasty.

Also I read too many of the comments on that Jolyon tweet and people loving suck, but I had a great conversation with my fianceé about a Facebook haircare group she's in that's run by a trans woman which has terfs kicking off that someone asked people to use genderneutral terms since men/genderfluid people are also members. She was super mad at the terfs being huge shits, she really liked hearing about Hbomb's charity stream for Mermaids and said that terf is as sexist to women as white supremacist is racist to white people, which I am stealing for futher conversations.

e: The width of a case of twelve 342g Heinz Tomato Ketchup bottles is 189mm, and you used to be able to get a 1.35kg bottle of it from Home Bargains for £1.89 back in May.

The best tomato ketchup remains the unfortunately named Daddies. Also available in brown sauce!

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 23, 2019

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Jose posted:

No idea

this is extremely :nms: :nws:. it was linked in a discord i'm in. i don't recommend clicking it

This is a dick with wasps on it

I'm not leaving this at the bottom of the last page

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

njsykora posted:

Gonna say I didn't expect to see horsewang when I checked in on this thread.

It's only on mare occasions.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

With a recession soon to hit and brexit inevitably being done I genuinely wonder if I can carve out a small semi-feudal principality in the remains of whatever constitutes Britain

Don't count on it, I've printed out a list of your previous posts to carry so that whatever warlord inevitably kills me knows to hunt you down and put your skull lower on his banner than mine

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

No Deal will be fine. My coffee told me about it. Just call me Boris, that's what everyone calls me.

Fucked UK... in the coffee!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

They revised it up to a 2.9

They definitely won't stop though

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Like all petitions it'll get a "gently caress off we'll do what we want" response and nothing will happen

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/BatmanInit/status/1166763721676529666

She has form for it

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

Hi everyone I've been lost in a WoW Classic void for 48 hours. How hosed are we?

You'd probably be better off attempting to climb into the computer screen to escape. Regardless of what's actually happening.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Death almost always gets the best line in every single book, which I suppose is inevitable as by definition he always gets the last word. The only exception I can think of is Soul Music which - in a book with many of Pratchett's very best punes, or plays on words, gives the very best joke (one that had built up the entire book) to a one-shot supporting character (the chip shop joke, which I'm certain was the real reason for his knighthood)

Wait, which joke was thi- ye gods

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

John Peel talk reminded me of that good Guardian article about how many Hollywood celebs still adore Roman Polanski even after #MeToo, but when searching for it I found one of the Polanski defenders was Victoria Coren-Mitchell so you can all be disappointed along with me

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Not sure you read that article properly mate.
It was an attempt to ask people to feel sorry for a man who drugged and sodomised a 13 year old girl because his life had been hard, wrapped up in a book review. The part where she described the anger she felt after reading the child rape victim's account of her rape by Polanski drain away after she read about his family and wife being murdered came across exactly like an excuse, regardless of how she phrased it. I mean, "Then you read about the life of Roman Polanski. How shameful and how pointless to punish him with violence, even in the imagination." and "This is not an excuse; other survivors have not become rapists. But it silences my violent instinct immediately and creates a sharp and terrible sympathy in parallel with the anger. A second complicating factor is that Polanski's work is filled with beauty and humanity." This is absolutely an excuse.

Her column would have been reasonable in the majority of situations it could have described, just not one where, once again, a man raped a child and then fled to escape justice to live a fabulously privileged life of luxury with no consequences and (according to details from that column I was looking for earlier and eventually found) other sexual assaults on children.

But who knows? Maybe I did misread it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

^ if it helps, your voice sounds higher pitched when recorded because you're hearing it vibrate through your skull, which deepens it and can make you sound a lot cooler and less poncy to yourself than you actually do!

PittTheElder posted:

The whole point of the article is that despite Polanski's criminal deeds, the situation still has nuance, which the victim herself urges people to consider. The whole article is just arguing against oversimplifying complicated situations. Nowhere does it say the nuance absolves Polanski.

I suppose I'd have to disagree on whether it oversimplifies or clarifies the situation. Polanski should go to prison for his deeds; both his tragic history and his artistic talent are absolutely irrelevant and should ignored, but they colour all the responses to him and his actions. Whether or not Geimer forgives him doesn't absolve him of his crimes against her and against society as a whole.

I think the source of the hostility in my reaction is that second complicating factor line. I agree there are situations that do have nuance and do deserve a balanced viewpoint when considering them, taking each factor in turn and ensuring not jump to conclusions. Polanski is not one of those, and he belongs in a cell.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I still think we should goon project to take over that castle during the brexit riots

Buckingham? Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Welp she just deleted her twitter right as I was googling who she was. Probably a good move. Social media is scary poo poo.

She's the initial victim of the g-gate word