Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I see there is a discussion about what to put on chips. this means it is mandatory for someone from Edinburgh to pipe up about Edinburgh chippy sauce and for everyone else to say how crap and/or disgusting it is and for the Edinburgh person to refuse to countenance any downtalking of the Great Somewhat Edible Condiment until the entire conversation is united around what twats people from Edinburgh are in various ways and forcing the interloper out by throwing things at them until they somehow manage to gently caress off back to england and scotland simultaneously as is demanded of them by various quarters

i volunteer as tribute. salt and sauce is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

also remember the entire point of clappers in movies was to help sync the audio: something to consider when beginning local recordings as it helps the editor deal with 3-4 people who probably didn't all press record exactly 4 seconds before the beginning of the main audio for the podcast/discussion

Also helps the editor deliberately put their least favourite person exactly one second late so it seems like they're perpetually slow on the uptake

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i'll do a part on the podcast but it'll only consist of me eating various orange chocolate treats in the background while periodically mentioning how nice they are

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

What's your stance on Quality street Orange creams vs Orange Crisps.

crispy stuff in chocolate can go either way for me but fundamentally orange flavoured chocolate somehow beats orange flavoured stuff surrounded by chocolate every time. i don't know how this works but that's the facts

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

When my gran got ill with Alzheimers, she used to call us about mid day most days saying she felt shaky and anxious.

Eventually we worked out that she was getting up, making a cuppa, drinking it, washing up the cup, sitting down, thinking "What shall I do now? I know, I'll have a nice cup of tea." Because of the alzheimers and her habit of always cleaning up after herself, she had no idea she'd just finished a cup.

My dad checked the bin and found she was having about 10 cups before lunch. We stealth replaced her bags with decaf. A necessary evil.

the moral of the story is never clean up after yourself. i'm sure many goons are well ahead of me on this one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I would like to say I drink hot chocolate instead, but what I actually do is ask for a hot chocolate and suffer through the flavourless hot water that your standard cafe serves and calls "hot chocolate" because they know that they will never get enough customers who give a poo poo about hot chocolate to make it remotely worth their while to care about the quality of hot chocolate

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I guess I have to move to cork now. but all my stuff is here already

I love how every adult in the room looks completely sick and tired of this little kid's poo poo. just begging for him and his weird friend with the camera to just leave them the hell alone

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Do you have a link for this?

I think this is the plot to the Paul Jennings story "No is Yes". or the movie Dogtooth.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

aren't all languages made up, really

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm just glad he's come around on the important issues

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

"I want [criminals] to literally feel terror at the thought of committing offences”
- new home secretary Priti Patel, or Judge Dredd

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

at some point someone is going to say people should move the podcast chat somewhere else, and they'll probably be right, but then the thread will have to just be about brexit again and so I hope it's a while before people realise

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

justcola posted:

Simulation and Simulacra - Jean Baudrillard / again, more about media, but sort of reads like a hard sci-fi book I guess

As someone not experienced in humanities texts who occasionally has tried to read Intellectual Books I'm not sure this is a great recommendation for someone looking to avoid academic jargon in their reading

I got a bit further in it than that time I tried to read Society of the Spectacle, I guess

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I haven't figured out what crumble is a euphemism for but pretty sure you're all sick freaks regardless

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

boy this is going to be fun if it happens

https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1160085638949101568

https://twitter.com/callumjodwyer/status/1160121902393974784

such a lovely chap:

new upcoming wings party political broadcast, presumably posted:

Isn’t that the point though, I ask. This is all happening in Scotland and meanwhile here you are, living in this beautiful English city, Bathgate’s answer to Jane Austen, inciting division 400 miles away and profiting from it? “Well, no more than you are,” he replies. “I’ve never understood why this is an issue. How does it undermine the arguments? At the moment my position is I don’t want to live in the most gutless country in the world. I would cringe every day stepping out my front door and looking around thinking: ‘God, you people won’t even run your own affairs.’ This is where I live. This is where I built my life for 20 years before Wings. I’m not going to up sticks. Does that mean I have to shut up? Does it mean I’m not allowed an opinion? Somebody has to make the arguments that Wings makes. Somebody has to do what we do. And it looks like it’s me, because nobody else is doing it.”

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

my "peace prosperity and friendship with all nations" coin has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my coin

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wasn't there some grand plan for national street parties too?

:cry:

I hope so just to see what happens in Glasgow, their royal wedding party was grand

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

The voyager probe has recordings of Bach's violin sonatas played by Arthur Grumiaux as the pinnacle of earthly music and hell, they're not wrong.

As it turns out, the auditory systems and psychology of the aliens who find it will only be capable of appreciating 80s hair metal

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It is kinda interesting how the headline and most of the article is from the perspective of the white british lady. The guy was detained for six hours but let's only talk about how she felt

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jeremy corbyn uniting parliament as they all work together to dunk on the lib dems

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jesus christ the more i see of these amazon tweets the worse it gets

https://twitter.com/AmazonFCHannah/status/1161910397336768512

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

we need a non-political figure like [list of politicians]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

history nerds: has there ever been an independent MP as PM since political parties became a thing? I don’t think so

Yes actually, the BBC did an interesting documentary on the situation

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jabby posted:

So why the gently caress are the people who want remain arguing about Corbyn being caretaker? Whoever is caretaker, they only get their referendum if Corbyn wins the subsequent election. If they really don't want him as PM then they have to accept a Boris government which will take us out No Deal. Its either/or.

insert jeb bush election map but with Chuka Umunna running simultaneously in every constituency here

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I can't wait to see precisely how everyone manages to gently caress up the last chance to not screw ourselves completely

I hope civilisation still exists in a hundred years so historians can pick apart this clusterfuck in minute detail and laugh at us. It's what we deserve

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I liked his posts about trains but

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sometimes when making a post using the awful app i refresh the page five minutes later and my post is still the last in the thread, instead of ten different something awful posters complimenting my brilliant posting abilities. is something in android stopping it from loading new posts or what's going on here

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

The extra stupid thing is iirc this refers specifically to animals that are related to one another, so technically if you owned two completely unrelated cows you could eat the milk of one with the meat of the other and it would still be kosher. The effective blanket ban on meat + dairy combos is based off a relatively cautious judgement that with large scale industrial meat/dairy production you can never be absolutely certain that some of the mince in your burger isn't related to some of the milk in your cheese so you should err on the side of caution and avoid combining the two as a matter of course.

time to set up an orthodox meat and dairy farm where half of the labour is spent meticulously tracing the genealogy of the livestock. two star-crossed lover cows stare at each other longingly from different sides of the fence, knowing they can never do a shag

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

this is not actually about anything specific but I have to admit I'm not a big fan of this thread's regular focus of finding random people on twitter with bad takes and egging on each other to reply and talking about our replies and how great they are

I think I just want people to stop touching the poop so much? I think that's the point I'm trying to make

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Bozo has edited his first PM speech to remove his first broken promise: That work would start "this week" with 20 new hospital upgrades.

This is a great strategy. New scandal? Unpopular policy? Just go back and Edit The Speech again. "People of Britain," says 2019 Legend Boris, who everyone loved and agreed with, "I promise to - in - sert - diseased - rats - inside - the nation's - under - wear - for the security of - the nation. - If anyone - has - objections to -this great - rat - scheme - now's the time - [harumph noises] - rule britannia - sausages." Everyone applauds. Look, there's a picture of you in the crowd, clapping harder than everyone. Don't you remember?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I wonder if the town council deliberately emphasised the anti-sex thing knowing that would bury the story of measures against rough sleeping, or if that just happened by accident

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

a lot more homosexuals need to be openly 1990s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

the GNU (is that a non-recursive acronym? Government of national unity?)

actually it stands for "GNU's Not Unity"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

winegums posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment..._medium=twitter

So I get it's corbyn and mcdonnell lookin kickin' rad riding a bull trying to lasso the boris-spitfire before it flies off, being sabotaged by a dumpy jo swinson. there are all these cornucopias of brexit full of ration books and body bags.... but
someone's gonna have to explain to me who's riding Boris :barf:

I think that's Priti Patel in the back and my guess is Dominic Cummings at the front

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It must be hard for british cartoonists, so much of their job is trying to find distinctive features in an endless parade of boring white men

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

mehall posted:

Do you know what's hosed?

The UK doesn't have paprika crisps but you go *anywhere* on the continent and you can get them.

just had some paprika mccoys the other day. think they might be a new thing?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Mehall is clearly posting from the post-Brexit future

the post was a trap. paprika is a filthy foreign invention and we have all outed ourselves as Haters Of British Culture by consuming the hated unpatriotic seasoning. the death squads are on their way

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ahh yes you see he campaigned for Remain, and he advocated for Remain, but technically he didn't fight for Remain because mumble mumble warble wab. No lies here yes siree bob.

did jeremy literally knife fight nigel farage?? no! no fighting! not a fight. truth words had by all

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

oh my god the pork markets / we import cheese, that is a disgrace lady is actually in charge of trade

e: lol the first suggestion on google for "liz truss" is "liz truss cheese"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I love how basically none of the furniture in that picture, particularly the tables, look fit for the purpose it is being used for, but they're all just being kept around and used because they look old and dignified

there's a number of metaphors to be made out of that, I'll let the reader pick their favourite