Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

The Morning Star. Downside, they might shovel fabricated transphobic and tankie bullshit down your throat. Also expensive.

Also pro Brexit bullshit

And so obsessively sucking up to their favourite TUs they fired a journalist for mentioning whatshisname from RMT abusing his partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"I want [criminals] to literally feel terror at the thought of committing offences”
- new home secretary Priti Patel, or Judge Dredd

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1160570412817948673
Top story on the Grauniad right now.

Lucas has really gone down in my estimation recently. It's a sorry state when she's happy to work with the likes of Swinson, Cooper and Justine loving Greening but shuns the idea of a Corbyn-led government.

She doesn’t actually say that she’d be unwilling to support Corbyn in government herself, but the other parties won’t so it can’t happen.
Sadly with only one MP the Greens can’t actually make up the difference that Corbyn’s going to fail any vote of confidence by currently.

Carline Lucas posted:

To begin with that means denying Boris Johnson the reins of power through a no-confidence vote and establishing a national unity government. Political tribalism would likely scupper any moves that are just about putting Jeremy Corbyn in charge. So far the Labour leadership’s reaction has been to suggest they would not work in coalition with other parties, and politicians from some other parties have made clear that they would not serve under his leadership. A government of national unity must do exactly that – unite parties. And I believe that a cross-party cabinet of women has the potential to do exactly that.

Not that this cross party government of national unity has any more chance of passing a confidence vote today, lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I’d like to propose the crackhead who just walked down our street smashing car windows for caretaker PM.
has a can do attitude, gets poo poo done, is a woman. totally qualified.

just need to check she didn’t vote leave in 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

fightwithcrayons posted:

Famous Brit Jeffrey Epstein sparks debate about being murdered in British jail in UK thread

he brexited himself from life imprisonment. an inspiration to us all in these difficult times.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

saw this doc on BBC4 and thought it’d be appreciated by this thread. for the crossing streams of politics & culture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000777d/everybody-in-the-place-an-incomplete-history-of-britain-19841992

quote:

Acid house is often portrayed as a movement that came out of the blue, inspired by little more than a handful of London-based DJs discovering ecstasy on a 1987 holiday to Ibiza. In truth, the explosion of acid house and rave in the UK was a reaction to a much wider and deeper set of fault lines in British culture, stretching from the heart of the city to the furthest reaches of the countryside, cutting across previously impregnable boundaries of class, identity and geography.

With Everybody in the Place, the Turner Prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller upturns popular notions of rave and acid house, situating them at the very centre of the seismic social changes that reshaped 1980s Britain. Rare and unseen archive materials map the journey from protest movements to abandoned warehouse raves, the white heat of industry bleeding into the chaotic release of the dancefloor.

We join an A-level politics class as they discover these stories for the first time, viewing the story of acid house from the perspective of a generation for whom it is already ancient history. We see how rave culture owes as much to the Battle of Orgreave and the underground gay clubs of Chicago as it does to shifts in musical style: not merely a cultural gesture, but the fulcrum for a generational shift in British identity, linking industrial histories and radical action to the wider expanses of a post-industrial future.

they’ve done a bang up job finding their archive footage.
I wish it’d had been part one of a series, as it frustratingly just touches on the surface of a lot and he doesn’t get a chance to really delve in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Ah good to see acid house getting the punk rock treatment of hagiography from old talking heads on BBC4 about how it changed everything despite it being niche at the time

this, but unironically.

the phrase “more punk than punk rock ever was” may crop up halfway through the lesson

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Niric posted:

Banks fans itt I need your help/honest opinions. Because the Culture novels come up not infrequently in the thread (and because I enjoyed The Wasp Factory and some M. Banks short stories when I read them years ago) I figured I'd give Consider Phlebas a shot. And after about 3/4s of the way through it's....ok, I guess? Given the love the series gets I feel like I'm missing something. Is it worth persevering with, or is it more likely just not my thing if I'm kinda cool on the first one?

Consider Phlebas is generally regarded as the worst. you can tell it’s an early effort. “ok I guess” is a fair review.
The Player of Games is a much better intro. But personally I’d recommend Excession and Use of Weapons as my favourites.

Also it’s not really a series - the novels don’t follow each other as sequels* - it’s just a shared background universe. you can read any of them in any order.

* if you feel the need to be pedantic about certain shared characters in later novels, don’t cos that’s a spoiler :P

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/uk-british-nationality-hong-kong-citizens-tom-tugendhat

quote:

The UK should give Hong Kong citizens full UK nationality as a means of reassurance amid the current standoff with Beijing, the chair of the influential Commons foreign affairs committee has argued.

Tom Tugendhat said this should have happened to people in the formerly British-ruled territory in 1997, when it was handed back to Chinese control, and that doing so now would reassure Hong Kong’s people that they were supported by the UK.

Where’s that Onion headline “annoyingly a horrible person just made a good point”
The UK should have given proper citizenship to any who wanted it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Eschenique posted:

Didn't Thatcher specifically remove the citizenship of the people of Hong Kong (and all other territories outside the main islands) the last time things escalated out of fear of non-whites moving to the UK?

Which then incidentally sparked the Falklands war because Argentina saw the loss of citizenship as relinquishment of responsibility for the people on the island.

Not British citizenship. Before the 1981 Nationality Act they had Citizenship of The United Kingdom and Colonies which was a bit different and removed by Thatcher then.
The 1962 Commonwealth Immigrants Act has already made it so CUKCs who weren’t born in the UK or already living here had no automatic right to abode in the UK. I.e ethnic Chinese Hongkongers were kept out. 1981 Act didn’t change their situation substantially
But it was an opportunity to change things for the better, and not doing so does seem to have sent the message that the UK didn’t care about them. When CUKC status was removed, some gained British citizenship, but it was explicitly “we don’t consider these guys so important” to give most the lesser British Dependent Territories / British Overseas citizenship statuses instead.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

I don't get it- in the current system offers are made based on predictions. In the new system they'd be made based on results. A university can say 'you need to get AAB' or whatever, and if your exam results are better than AAB you're in. How is this any more work than before for the uni?

Currently the UCAS deadline is December and applications are coming in for a couple of months before then.
The problem isn’t so much “more work” it’s doing that same work in a hugely compressed timeline.
For courses which aren’t just based on grades (e.g. require portfolio review, musical audition, interview) that’s going to be difficult.

Replacing the system is not impossible, obviously since other countries do post-results applications.
But it is a huge change to thousands of institutions with a lot of institutional inertia behind them. It’s not going to happen overnight. Going to be a big one off expense for all schools, unis, to rebuild business processes. Hope I don’t have to touch that project 😭

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Is Clearing fun?

Some people enjoy CBT
I’ve yet to meet anyone who finds any fun in clearing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

cutlery for finger food smdh

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

Since Alastair Campbell got kicked out for voting libdem, would the rules allow expelling an MP who voted against Labour in a confidence motion?

I know the leadership have been slack about enforcing the whip a bit lately. but of course a confidence motion would still be three lines

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

We could spare ourselves all of this panic if the EU would just say "gently caress it we'll offer any new UK leader a retroactive extension on article 50 in order to ensure that you can't just switch parliament off to force a no deal. Have a general election, come back with a new leader, and there's a date with the council if they want to talk about this. "

lol that’s literally impossible even if everyone wanted to

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Also ran for leader of the Conservative Party. Twice even. Be an interesting turn of events if he finally did become PM and this is how lol

I think this is the option that would piss the most people off, so now I want it to happen.

history nerds: has there ever been an independent MP as PM since political parties became a thing? I don’t think so

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

original tweet’s been replaced now, but lol if you can’t even spell the name of the town I doubt your commitment to winning there

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman or The Hat Man are acceptable to the LibDems. Those are therefore the only acceptable choices because the LibDems are the kingmakers. Obviously.
hat man?

dunno why Starmer’s name hasn’t been floated seeing as how most everybody else's has.

as the caretaker PM is supposed to be only doing the one thing of arranging an Article 50 extension with the EU before parliament is dissolved, you could contrive a justification for the Brexit secretary being in place to do that while Corbyn’s otherwise engaged.
he’s been loyally in shadow cabinet long enough that he’s not a hate figure to the party left like Harman, but comes from a Blair era background so is popular with the liberal side. that looks like a compromise candidate to me.

mind you, he still doubt he’d get majority in parliament. same as nobody else would. we’re doomed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Miftan posted:

Education isn't the issue. Once the laws get so complex that you need a middleman to interpret them then the system is too complex. Like, regular off the street people should be able to understand the laws they're meant to obey. Education will help with most of them, but anyone who is expecting people to understand financial and litigation law on their own is dreaming.

Why?

If the vast majority of people in the country will never have any need to understand a particular set of laws, like VAT say, what’s so wrong if the small number who do have to then get a qualified professional to help?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Fairest would just be to get rid of the VAT exemption on kids clothes.
You’ve got the child tax credit to pay for that.

But some things are too ingrained to be worth the effort changing. Can you imagine the headlines

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't the point of the zero rating is that kids' clothes are a necessity, like uncatered food and soft drinks, animals, animal feed, plants and seeds, helicopters, antique jade statues, that sort of thing.

So unless we're going to allow public nudity, non-luxury clothes for people of all ages should be VAT exempt or zero rated, and the fashion labels can have their Jaffa cake moment trying to prove that they're not luxury while telling all their target market that they are.

every other EU country has VAT on kids clothes as well as adult. It’ll be fine.
The idea of VAT as a “luxury” tax is a complete fiction btw

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

u brexit ukip it posted:

That reminds me if Jared O'Mara resigns his seat in September, will there be a byelection for that?

And if a general election is called shortly after, is there any rule saying that seat isn't contested again, or could you have the same seat contested only a few month apart?

if the by-election has already been held before the general election is called, the seat’s still contested again. even if Johnson announced it on that same Thursday for a laugh.
if the by-election has been scheduled but not held yet, then it will be cancelled. but that’s technically not automatic and requires parliament to pass a motion during the wash-up. that happened when May called the 2017 election.

funny thought: MPs can’t legally resign. there’s a charade where they are appointed to a meaningless position by the crown that renders them illegible to be an MP. but it has happened before that the PM’s said nope to a request, forcing the MP to remain in seat. with a paper majority of 1 I wonder if Johnson would consider keeping O’Mara rather than have someone who’ll actually be around to cause trouble.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 23, 2019

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

lol
but if Johnson said ‘cabotage’ he definitely knew what ports he was talking about. chances that Trump knows the term and didn't just bluff through rather than ask seem quite low though

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

moved flat this week, so pretty relieved that I never bothered with doomsday prepping for Brexit
packing’s a pain enough as it is without 24 slabs of chopped tomato tins

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

It’s a shame parliament bottled voting no confidence in July when Johnson took power.
But alas, no one could have foreseen he’d do this thing that he and his circle of Raab and Cumming etc had been talking up doing for months before.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

seems like cheating to use two where one’s already derived from the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I read this book back then, seemed far-fetched at the time.

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-us-troops-children-birthright-citizenship-overseas-a9083036.html

Update to this: I've read the twitter thread linked to where some people have attempted to clarify the situation re this. So I've deleted it because it's very confusing.

99p on today’s Amazon daily deal. Is someone having a laugh do you think