Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
:( Thanks for giving me a whole new reason to get drunk this weekend guys, appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I apologize in advance if this is out of place, I'll donate $25 to DVA or eat a 6'er if I'm wrong, but I just feel like I need to say this. I know 90% of what we talk about is directly connected to serving, and I always feel out of place because I didn't serve, but with gun violence I think I can lay claim to being personally involved.

Back in 2012, an uncle of mine was murdered by a psycho ex-girlfriend of his. He had a restraining order out against her and couldn't buy a gun legally, but bought one anyway because Armslist is still a thing and private sales don't require a background check. I sat next to my dad at the funeral, I remember the day she was picked up and charged, and I got into deep poo poo at work because I called out sick with no available PTO so I could attend the sentencing hearing. I starting problem drinking for a while, and dropped out of community college over it. It took me a good three years of my life and anti-depressants to bounce back. It was partly because of him I got into Infosec and studying computer security, one of his favorite movies was Sneakers and I like the idea that he would be proud that his nerdy nephew went into computer hacking because of him.

My family and I went though hell, and every time I see another shooting on TV I think about how some other family is going through what my family went through. And every time I hear about another mass shooting, I see what happened to me, but multiplied tenfold. I was 8 when Columbine happened, and I was 29 when Parkland was shot up. Vegas, Aurora, that community college in Oregon, Pulse nightclub, loving Sandy Hook, it never ends! We've gone from 'Never Again' to 'yup, mass shooting season is starting again'. We could encase every school in blast shielding and post armed guards at every public building, and it would still keep happening! We as a society never seem to want to confront the actual cause of mass shootings, and that's the easy availability of the guns used! If we had a bomb go off ever couple of months that killed people, we would say "hey, we should probably take care of that mass bombing problem". But because it's guns, woah hey slow down we can't do anything to upset the gun lobby, Wayne LaPieare might become mildly annoyed between suit fittings.

We're scraping up bodies like cordwood, but nobody in Washington wants to do anything because if they piss off the Gun Lobby or the House Freedom Caucus or the goddamn Koch Brothers they might lose their jobs and lobbying jobs and junkets to Nassau paid for by Wayne LaPierre.

I don't know where I'm going with this, I just wanted to vent about how loving futile it feels whenever another mass shooting happens. There is literally nothing I can do, besides donate to the Brady Campaign and move to Kentucky just so I can vote against Mitch the Bitch in 2020.

If you've read this far, you're probably EBB who is checking out this post after it was reported. I'll take whatever you send me, but goddamnit I'm tired of seeing murdered children on CNN

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey bigdave you're good imo

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I know the CE thread isn't the opinion section, but somehow I doubt the NY Times is gonna be publishing me anytime soon.

In non-mass shooting news, one of the Kennedy's OD'd and some coal miners paychecks bounced so they're blocking coal trains by sitting on the rails.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/02/ethel-kennedy-daughter-courtney-seen-for-first-time-since-saoirse-kennedy-hills-death/

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/article233386767.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh you gotta be loving making GBS threads me

https://reut.rs/2YoVYsd

quote:

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — Nine people in Ohio have been killed in the second mass shooting in the U.S. in less than 24 hours, and the suspected shooter is also deceased, police said.

Dayton police tweeted that an active shooter situation began in the Oregon District at 1 a.m., but that officers nearby were able to "put an end to it quickly." At least 16 others were taken to local hospitals with injuries, police said.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I swear I'm gonna find wherever Wayne LaPierre is holed up and beat him to death with my bare hands just for the irony.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stravag posted:

Man i dont even know. Guy walks up on me out of my blindspot in the hotel parking lot, knocks on the window from from far enough back he had to stretch to reach it, and starts talking at me with his hand on his gun with "so ah bin follin you fer cup' mayles 'n' ah wan know what you think yer doin aht hur". Never go to colorado city i guess

Isn't Colorado City where that Mormon doomsday rape cult is?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Wait, wrong Colorado City. The one in Arizona is the Mormon polygamy rape cult.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2018/09/paedophile-cult-leader-warren-jeffs-tore-town-apart-now-his-victims-are

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Getting rid of the personal sale background check exemption would be a good first start.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pmchem posted:

“ah, well, it is impossible to have a perfect solution to this problem therefore we should do nothing to improve the situation”

- Paid for by the Democratic National Committee

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
A gun buyback program and banning semi-auto firearms is probably not feasible, mostly because the NRA made firearm ownership a part of identity politics. Owning a gun went from target shooting and hunting to owning the libs and being a man at the same time.

The NRA made gun owners their own private club. They made you feel special for owning a gun, they made you believe that you were special for owning a gun. And that kind of appeal, that feeling of being part of a special club of like minded individuals, that's what's so hard to overcome with gun control. If you make it harder for someone to buy an AR-15, you're taking away their friends and the special club they go to every week. Maybe they work a poo poo job and they're stuck in a poo poo marriage, but when they go to the range to sight in a new Bushmaster they're playing with their friends.

And that's not a bad thing! Having a hobby is a healthy thing, and target shooting is a fun hobby to have. I'm sure most of everyone here would love to go on a range trip together and shoot the poo poo out of a bunch of AR's and .45 pistols. Throw in some tannerite and tequila, and you have half of a GiP Vegas Weekend.

The problem is that because guns and personal identity became so intertwined, any possibility of change is viewed as a personal attack, and that's a big part of why change to gun laws is so goddamn hard. Asking a gun owner to start doing a background check everytime they sell a AR to a range buddy is unthinkable, it's a personal attack on their belief system. And no matter how many dead fathers and children get stacked up in the morgue, they won't change a goddamn thing, regardless of the body count or who got shot.

Honestly, there really isn't one special fix for all of the problems guns cause. One specific solution is to require background checks for private gun sales, that would reduce one specific kind of gun crime. But to reduce the other types of gun crimes, we would have to enact a bunch of new laws and regulations that probably wouldn't pass SCOTUS muster.

I guess what I'm saying is, there really isn't one specific way to stop mass shootings. Most of the shooters aren't mentally ill enough to warrant detention or weapon confiscation, and we can't restrict firearm sales without wounding that personal identity link, so I would expect poo poo to get bloodier before it gets better. Kind of like Northern Ireland, but with more shootings and fewer bombings.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Back grounds checks for every gun sale, every gun sale must go through a FFL dealer, and cops actually go after people that make death threats. Its loving bonkers that people that own guns can make explicit threats to kill people and not be charged and if found guilty have their guns taken away.

The columbine dudes literally posted photos of pipe bombs online and made death threats and the local police ignored it. The whole school shooting phenomenon would be entirely different today if the cops had simply loving done their jobs and arrested them for illegally making pipe bombs.

Not every shooting would be prevented but it would go a long way to stopping them from reaching the self sustainment that comes from them constantly being in the news.

Harris and Klebold probably wouldn't have been stopped with gun laws, mostly because Columbine wasn't a school shooting. It was a failed bombing, and if Harris hadn't hosed up the detonator wiring it wouldn't have been 13 dead, it would have been 300 dead in the bombing alone, plus 10x wounded. The original plan was to collapse the library on top of the cafeteria, then shoot the survivors as they fled into the parking lot.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

colachute posted:

i did keep reading, but when 13 people die by getting shot, i don't think you can say "it wasn't a school shooting" regardless of the original intent. that's a ridiculous stretch in logic, and i would wholly expect a fox news pundit to trot it out to defend gun ownership.

It wasn't intended as a stretch in logic, it's what Harris originally planned. That loving sociopath wanted to kill anyone who was inferior to him, which was everyone. He partnered with a suicidal alcoholic who pared with his personality enough to where he was able to plan a mass murder without raising any objections.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Alec Guinness died.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woops, I half-heard it on the radio when my alarm went off.

Ronny Bridges died.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158330513951735809

Here comes the ultimate poison pill, Trump is tweeting about linking UBC with immigration reform.

Comedy option: the Democrats agree to fund the wall in full in exchange for an AWB.

Oh great, here comes the Dennis Hopper school of negotiation.

"Pass this immigration reform bill or the bus blows up!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Handsome Ralph posted:

He's right, they should stop showing his rallies.

Yeah, and stop showing tape of Sander's press conferences.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Members of congress should have to use the VA.

Do we really want Rand Paul back in office but with a painkiller addiction?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Great so Pakistan and India can finally bust the murder nut they've had since 1947.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

brains posted:

the second 370 that went to pakistan and disappeared :tinfoil:

:thurman:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
My great great grandfather was a German horse thief and my great great grandmother was a Norwegian mail order bride, and that's just Dad's side of the family.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hey so remember that trade war with China we invented because the Republicans decided that everything Trump thinks = reality?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government has determined that China is manipulating its currency, and will engage with the International Monetary Fund to eliminate unfair competition from Beijing, U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement on Monday.

China let the yuan weaken past the key 7-per-dollar level on Monday for the first time in more than a decade and later said it would stop buying U.S. agricultural products, inflaming a worsening trade war with the United States.

The sharp 1.4% drop in the yuan comes days after U.S. President Donald Trump stunned financial markets by vowing to impose 10% tariffs on the remaining $300 billion of Chinese imports from Sept. 1, abruptly breaking a brief ceasefire in a bruising trade war that has disrupted global supply chains and slowed growth.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Yeah that a North American MooCow

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158950196560171014

Guys I'm starting to think this Trump guy may be a racist.

And to help wash that taste out of your mouth, here's this:

quote:

Former vice president Joe Biden plans Wednesday to accuse President Trump of having “fanned the flames of white supremacy in this nation” in a blistering speech set to be delivered in Iowa as Trump visits two cities mourning horrific mass shootings.

Another Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), also plans to speak out about gun violence and white nationalism during a speech at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C., the site of a mass shooting in 2015 that left nine people dead.

According to excerpts of Biden’s planned remarks released by his presidential campaign, he will highlight Saturday’s shooting in El Paso by a gunman who allegedly posted an essay with language that closely mirrors Trump’s rhetoric, as well as the language of the white nationalist movement, including a warning about the “Hispanic invasion of Texas.”

“How far is it from Trump’s saying this ‘is an invasion’ to the shooter in El Paso declaring his attack is a response to ‘the Hispanic invasion of Texas’? Not far at all,” Biden plans to say in the speech. He will also refer to the deadly clash between white supremacists and protesters in Charlottesville in 2017 and the mass shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh last year, according to the excerpts.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

A 39-year-old Superior man was jailed this weekend for allegedly assaulting a 13-year-old boy he believed, according to one witness, had disrespected the national anthem.

Curt James Brockway was arrested by Mineral County Sheriff's deputies around 11 p.m. Saturday. Montana Department of Justice records show he is registered as a violent offender. Brockway made his initial appearance in Mineral County Justice Court on Monday, and was scheduled to be released on his own recognizance on Tuesday.

Taylor Hennick was at the Mineral County Fair and Rodeo on Saturday, and told the Missoulian she had just stopped at the entrance to the fairgrounds in Superior to pause for the national anthem when she heard a "pop." Hennick said the man, who she had by then identified as Brockway, tried justifying the assault as bystanders moved in on him Saturday evening.

"He said (the boy) was disrespecting the national anthem so he had every right to do that," Hennick said.

https://missoulian.com/news/state-a...7909d8d137.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

Kushner thinks this is "throwing a bone to Democrats". Nobody outside of Blago's orbit likes the loving guy, everyone thinks he's an embarrassment and would have been happy to see him rot in prison for his full sentence.

But he did give us the gift of Jon Stewart doing a Jerry Lewis impression for six months.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

want he trying to sell obamas seat

Yeah although it was just a misunderstanding. He bought Obamas actual office chair at a moving sale and was trying to sell that.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

OSSINING, N.Y. — For nearly two decades, the Trump Organization has relied on a roving crew of Latin American employees to build fountains and waterfalls, sidewalks and rock walls at the company’s winery and its golf courses from New York to Florida.

Other employees at Trump clubs were so impressed by the laborers — who did strenuous work with heavy stone — that they nicknamed them “Los Picapiedras,” Spanish for “the Flintstones.”

For years, their ranks have included workers who entered the United States illegally, according to two former members of the crew. Another employee, still with the company, said that remains true today.

President Trump “doesn’t want undocumented people in the country,” said one worker, Jorge Castro, a 55-year-old immigrant from Ecuador without legal status who left the company in April after nine years. “But at his properties, he still has them.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e4d8_story.html

Quick show of hands, who here is surprised?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

The attorney for a 39-year-old man charged with assaulting a child who didn't take his hat off for the national anthem says his client, compromised by a traumatic brain injury, believes he was acting on an order from President Donald Trump.

Superior resident Curt Brockway was charged Monday with felony assault on a minor. His defense attorney, Lance Jasper, told the Missoulian Wednesday the president's "rhetoric" contributed to the U.S. Army veteran's disposition when he choke-slammed a 13-year-old, fracturing his skull, at the Mineral County fairgrounds on Aug. 3.

"His commander in chief is telling people that if they kneel, they should be fired, or if they burn a flag, they should be punished," Jasper said. "He certainly didn't understand it was a crime."

A request to the White House for comment was not returned. Mineral County Attorney Ellen Donohue's office said she was unavailable for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Jasper said he's gotten a handful of hateful voicemails at his office since taking Brockway's case, but that Brockway's family has received "hundreds" of death threats in the days since the 13-year-old boy was flown to Spokane by emergency flight for treatment.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/superior-man-believed-he-was-acting-on-trump-s-orders/article_4842efed-7f34-5855-81fb-92ad2dc0c64f.html

I mean...gently caress everything.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
At minimum someone slipped him a piece of rope and took a extra coffee break.

Damnit, I wanted that gutless turd alive and talking.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

If anyone killed him it wasn’t a Clinton; that isnt bizarre enough for this timeline. If it was anyone it’s going to be someone more random than Matt Groening.

Probably the royal family. Wasn't Prince William a part of this?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/norway-mosque-shooting?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc

Someone tried to shoot up a mosque in Norway. Only one injured, no deaths.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bruce is happy to help but is having a a species identity crisis, he thinks he's a shark.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Trump administration rules that could deny green cards to immigrants who use Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance are going into effect, potentially making it more difficult for some to get legal status in the United States.

Federal law already requires those seeking green cards and legal status to prove they will not be a burden to the U.S., or what’s called a “public charge,” but the new rules, made public on Monday, detail a broader range of programs that could disqualify them.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers will now weigh public assistance along with other factors such as education, household income and health to determine whether to grant legal status.

Much of President Donald Trump’s effort to crack down on illegal immigration has been in the spotlight, but the rule change is one of the most aggressive efforts to restrict legal immigration. It’s part of a push to move the U.S. to a system that focuses on immigrants’ skills instead of emphasizing the reunification of families, as it has done.

The rules will take effect in mid-October. They don’t apply to U.S. citizens, even if the U.S. citizen is related to an immigrant who is subject to them.

The acting director of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Ken Cuccinelli, said the rule change fits with the Republican president’s message.

“We want to see people coming to this country who are self-sufficient,” Cuccinelli said. “That’s a core principle of the American Dream. It’s deeply embedded in our history, and particularly our history related to legal immigration.”

Immigrants make up a small percentage of those who get public benefits. In fact, many are ineligible for public benefits because of their immigration status.

https://apnews.com/f440cbe61eb642c99f4d9a47e437c526

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how hosed is hong kong right now

Kinda hosed, here's a livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bNIzZ84FaM

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

no one in nyc and especially jersey loves trump

Astoria and Glendale went big for Trump.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

This is actually probably true. If I remember right, his plan was to lose and start his own TV network with Roger Ailes. Trump TV.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Please. We've had a effective PTSD treatment on the market for years, and it's called Blue Dream :okpos:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wasabi the J posted:

I literally had a panic dream about Trump chasing and eating a pigeon.on live TV. Is this how crazy political cartoons get made? Where I put a bunch of labels on my anxieties on different pieces of the scene?

gently caress I need to sleep.

The way things keep going, this might actually happen.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

I'm at the point where I read stuff like that and feel like it already happened

I mean, if you read the pigeon as a metaphor for Americas foreign policy, it's happening every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's completely loving hopeless. The evil cocksuckers won.

Garth Ennis is Earth's showrunner this season, and it's really starting to show.