Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

man i wish I was a toilet tethered to a crash test dummy

to not shitpost: ideas were thrown around in the NGU discord about SA banner ads and well i went and bought 3 months of this fella:

Grow your robot

Own unicorn!

Butts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Merijn posted:

The blue outline seems to mean 'you've never run this recipe' instead of 'there's an upgrade' because I triple-checked that all upgrades were purchased. I got a bit further but now there's 4 recipe upgrades that I can't buy because the cost is just over the max output of each recipe. The game is pretty bad at communicating to you what needs to happen. :(

I feel like "what needs to happen next" is exactly 100% of the gameplay of Alkahistorian (as with most idle games)

Alkahistorian's differentiator is that the answer is rarely "wait a while", it's usually "fiddle with the right knob"

The mark of a good idle game is that you feel smart for fiddling the knob just right, and then waiting a little while before you have enough resource to fiddle some more, so you're not just clicking upgrades at random.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

Just submitted a build of NGU to steam for review, and now am equal parts :toot: and :ohdear:

Congrats!

Do you submit it with a bunch of saves so that they can verify your content isn’t inappropriate?

Or is it just review to make sure it runs on various hardware?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Naylenas posted:

I just started running NGU a few days ago. I'm around boss 40, still can't adventure past the forest. There are enough things to put energy into right now that I'm just spreading my focus around and hoping that's the right thing to do

Try to get your Basic Training level reduced so it needs less energy for all 10 skills each rebirth, this is highest priority early

Do 1-hour or 30-min rebirths if you’re active, don’t worry if your number goes down a little

Get a level or two of the highest augmentation you can complete in 30 min or 1 hour

Spend your magic on a few points of blood to boost your number (make sure to cast the spell before rebirth)

Spend your exp on energy mostly, plus QOL stuff from adventure. Look at cost/benefit for getting bars vs energy speed. Bars are a multiplier- first one doubles your energy gain, second one 50% boost, etc

Shove your gold into money pit freely, more gold is better reward tiers

Don’t worry about leveling time machine just yet, it resets on rebirth and takes hours of all your energy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone playing NGU Idle on Steam, make sure you fiddle with your download settings. By default, playing a game like NGU Idle will pause your Steam downloads. You can manually re-start them once it's running - and maybe change a per-game setting that lets downloads run while you play it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

headfake posted:

In NGU, if I press Cap on a digger, it always sets it to one level less than it will actually go. Is there a reason for that?

I think it's so that you can hit cap on like 5 diggers and have them all be Level-1, instead of the first 1 or 2 stealing literally all your GPS and having the last few be really underleveled

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blattdorf posted:

If you have higher-level zones unlocked, it may be possible to just barely kill something and get better equipment.

I just passed that point - getting all the GRB equipment stats maxed (not the equipment level, just all the stats for level 0-2 items) gives me enough to where I can allllmost endlessly idle Clockwork, which has better stats. But I can idle for 10-15 minutes and get a piece or two of equipment.

So my next step is to periodically dip into Clockwork to collect a full set, then boost that armor, and hopefully have enough stats to manually kill GCT.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

I still do not buy that description of him, Spiky Haired dude and being teased that I need to beat him to unlock challenges and thinking about them for over a month, I was convinced it was adult Goku. You let me believe this for so long during beta. In my mind he's still adult goku out for revenge after killing kid on a cloud aka child Goku.

Ditto for pre-picture Boss 58

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In NGU Idle is there a way to make your basic training faster that I'm missing, or is that a more end game thing? I'm currently around Boss 47 or so, and just doing rebirths to get my basic training energy costs to zero. Seems very slow, so I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a mechanic that I have access to right now.

Also what should I put my XP into? I'm at 140k energy and 350/energy sec but things seem to have slowed down significantly for me.

You can reduce energy costs for Basic Training skills up to 10% for each rebirth - if you hover and the number is green it'll also say (maximum reduction for this rebirth) - you get it by having about 11,000 levels in that skill. If you keep doing 1-hr rebirths it'll come in time. You'll find yourself saying "Meh, 10k energy isn't that much" long before your skill caps all get down to 1.

Pushing adventure zones is how you unlock a lot of the new features, so don't neglect that.

Energy Cap * Energy Power is your total effective power - so don't neglect energy cap too. The 350energy /sec does nothing once you're capped for the rebirth (for now)

Magic is expensive but necessary too - blood magic is a good way to scale up your number.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

UScr00ge posted:

Probably a day late and a dollar short, but a few weeks ago I gave it a shot, and I've fallen down the dark rabbit hole known as NGU.

Definitely not making this post just so 4G knows I'm an active goon, in order to get free NGU stuff. Nope!

I'm beginning to think this might be some sort of marketing gimmick on Something's part

That crafty capitalist

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Fool posted:

play on Steam, and energy cap/magic cap is probably the more efficient investment at that stage

Ditto recommending Steam

And until you're pretty close to endgame, don't waste exp on straight adventure stats

At the point you're at, you'll probably spend a day spending energy on Advanced Training in order to push the next zone once you have your equipment boosted up decently

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I'll do that when I get home, my goal right now is to kind of hit the autoactivate for pomegranate (2 million magic) so I can get a decent seed farm going and then start to rebalance my stats.

Roughly I think I'll have hit that with buffed stats tonight, maybe base stats as well.

My energy cap is somewhere unbuffed around 3 million, but buffed is somewhere in the 5 million range

Not sure on the power stats

I'm wearing mostly the Jake set right now, so my power and cap stats have some inflation compared to the base stats.

I really like auto activate because I’m lazy, but heads up that Pomegranate is 3M since it costs 300k to activate.

You could also pump Bars so that you can reach 300k really fast to manually activate. Bars won’t be a waste when you unlock beards

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Andronian posted:

I’m at a point in NGU around boss 55 or so and feeling like i need to start pushing forward in Adventure. I don’t feel like i’m making any good “idle” progress in it though, because equipment drops will fill my inventory within like 5 minutes, and babysitting merging and boosts is not my idea of fun. Any tips to push through this part?

Get the filter so you can turn off equipment or boosts you’re not working on at the moment

Learn the keyboard shortcuts for mass boost/merge(a+ or d+ left click the target)

Be okay with merging in once in a while while you semi idle

In a little while you can do the challenge to unlock auto merge

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

auto merge is an exp shop item

auto boost is a challenge

Oh well then definitely auto-merge

With the filter, you can turn off accessories and boosts, and then auto-merge will cap out the items you have equipped while you leave NGU open but idle

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

In NGU is the boost transformation buggy? I can turn things into Toughness boosts fine but special or power just don't want to work. Or if they do it's very rarely.

Manual transformation or auto?

For manual - you're holding down Q (or W or E) for Power, Toughness, and Special respectively and left-clicking the boost?

Do you have autohotkey or other stuff highjacking or adding keypresses?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I'm collecting EXP at a pretty decent pace now and I have a max lvl Wandoos 98. Should I be pushing Energy/Magic total now? Or power, or what?

I'm currently idling in the Clock Work zone to get my clockwork set bonus complete and I've killed the first two titans.

Do you have a fully kitted out set from 2D world? Generally the next thing you try to do is push up to the next adventure zone, to manually snag a few pieces if you can't idle it - then power those up to let you idle it.

Have you completed one of each of the easier challenges? AutoBoost from the no equipment challenge in particular is a gamechanger for idling boosts into your equipped armor.

Other than that yeah - keep your yggdrasil going (see what your next activate requirements are, if you can push to those) and boost up your energy/magic (more focus on energy). I'm about where you are, and I'm focusing on putting exp in energy cap so I can get to 5 million energy to activate the Fruit of Droprate or whatever it's called. Leveling the first fruit to level 10 and harvesting it with a poop is a good source of early seeds - make sure you have the perk that gives you poop from the tower you can earn while idle.

Also for anyone else who's dumb like me - for Blood Magic you should be running the furthest down ritual that you can support with your gold per second - the bigger rituals are MUCH more blood per magic - while also being more gold per blood. So I'm making blood about 50x faster on the third ritual than the first with a level 20 time machine.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

finally added that in-inventory menu setting thing people liked

Talking about the little checkboxes to auto-transform to Power/Toughness/Special? cool

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Buzkashi posted:

Maybe if you like shift- or control- click it, it turns all the existing boosts in your inventory to that type of boost?

If you play in your browser, Ctrl+W+click (click optional) already does interesting stuff (save first)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

explosivo posted:

Challenges would also be fine if you could stack them and do multiple at once. I like bounties in Destiny 2 because you can pick up like 40 of them at once and complete a bunch at the same time. If I could do a 24 hr challenge and a blind challenge at the same time that'd be neat. Or if I could reach the #20 completion mark in the 24 hour challenge in one run, give me credit for all the ones before it too rather than make me restart from scratch for each completion of the challenge.

Or let you choose which version of the challenge you’re going after. Choose boss 140 if you just want the completion award, or choose the lowest boss if you want all the exp and AP along the way

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KazigluBey posted:

I like this idea of just setting it to the highest possible and going for it.

I’m not sure how you avoid trapping dumb newbies who go for the highest boss that would take them years with time machine turned off or whatever

Maybe add a 24-hour timer to use the feature?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a point at which doing the troll challenges isn't awful? The benefits look great but I have a really low threshold of annoyance for NGU's troll stuff and really don't want to push through a bunch of nonsense.

One of the biggest power jumps that isn't a new feature unlock (like beards or gold diggers) is getting the Quicker Power Fruit Beta activation perk- assuming you've gotten some decent levels into the fruit, at 30 minutes you get another 2-3 or more bosses. And you really don't want to wait until 1 hour for the regular fruit activation.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Samuringa posted:

You're rebirthing at 6min, tops, during Troll Challenges, Quicker Activation is useless.

I think you can do the early troll challenges much earlier in game progression if you're doing a 15- or 30-minute reset. You can make good progression on average if you're only eating 1-2 big trolls.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oodles posted:

Seeing the chat about rebirth speeds, I’m at boss 102 on Normal. How frequently should I be rebirthing? I’m tending to do it after my lvl 10 fruits have matured. Should I be doing it more frequently?

I'm about where you are boss-wise - I'm working on the seed bonus perk, and don't have any of the 'first harvest' perk. I think if you've gotten deep into first harvest perk, resets after you get you first harvest are fine.

I think 24-hour rebirths aren't THAT much less exp than 10-hour rebirths, since boss kills are less of your exp than Titan autokills. And I also need lots of hours of Advanced Training to let me idle Mega Lands which is my next item progression I'm working on.

So with low-to-moderate playtime, I spend the first day farming Rings of Apathy and boosting my advanced training for 12 hours, then spend a couple days on mega lands farming. I think 2-3 cycles of that will max it out and I can start looking at Uug.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oodles posted:

Let’s hope you don’t have to confirm each PP spend.

There’s a setting to disable that

Are you the same dude who didn’t know about the other setting that is a huge quality of life upgrade

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Adventure NGU and Basic Challenges.

And Beards, beards are huge

The perks that let you bank beard/training are really good too, since keeping temp levels on this rebirth lets you push further on next rebirth, etc...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bubbapook posted:

Stumbled across this thread and tried out NGU - dear god this is weapons grade stuff.

Am still very early on but noticing a real struggle to get my number past the low Decillions. So far I've just been trying to dump as much energy as possibe into augmentation to push bosses, but not idea if that's the best approach? Should I be speedrunning and pumping XP into something other than Energy?

Adventure mode is where you unlock real progress with new features, so don't neglect it. Collecting/leveling up/boosting new sets is important.

Don't worry about always making your number go up - aside from earning exp from defeating bosses, and unlocking new adventure zones, pushing deep into bosses isn't that vital. This is why some of the good ways to get exp is to grind out 1-hour resets.

Energy is the most important at the beginning, yes. Try to balance exp spent on cap and power (after you get your speed up pretty well).

Look through all the special/misc tabs for spending exp - Training Auto Advance is really clutch, for example.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bubbapook posted:

Thanks! So I've been focusing on Adventure Mode, but I hit a total wall at the Sky level, where I'm like 100 toughness below what's needed and nearly all of my gear is fully boosted for its level - should I just dump XP into adventure stats until I can handle Sky?

Buying stats directly with exp is kind of a trap - it's sort of "wasted" once you tier up to the next rung of equipment. It doesn't matter that you bough 100 power when your equipment is giving you 10,000 now, and that exp as energy power could be helpful.

Is your gear maxed out at level 100? That essentially doubles the stats once you boost it completely.

Are you wearing the stats you need (power and toughness) in your accessory slots? You'll have choices about what to wear throughout the game. Combat cheese is your go-to at this point when you're wanting power/toughness.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blattdorf posted:

Tukkun's version of a CCG could stand on its own, it was that good. I wonder what 4G will come up with - Tarot cards?

Collectible cards and deckbuilding with automated play is my hope.

Face a new opponent, build a deck to beat them with the cards you have.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

With fun rules like the fake Magic Cards or whatever they are called when they have rules like tear this card up and do the chicken dance if your opponent laughs you now own one of their cards but may not use it this game.

Denimwalk

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=8904

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is it going to use First In First Out, or use the stack like current MTG?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What’s your power at? Wiki recommends 1.3M and says it’s outdated and should be less now

Are you using the Adventure digger?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

Power is at 1.5 million. I can snipe the bosses but it's pretty slow and the low drop rate for gear (even though I've got it boosted by BLOOD, ascended pendant, diggers and NGU) hasn't produced anything so far. I can only really snipe 2 bosses at a time before having to go back to the safe area to heal.

I forgot about the diggers. I've only ever used the first one which is item drop rate isn't it?

I'm where you are, about to push Beardverse, and my level 27 adventure digger gives an extra 37% stats, which should make it a lot easier

Up to you if it's better than the drop rate one to get the first couple pieces of beard armor

Are you manually fighting the bosses with abilities?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Omi no Kami posted:

So the troll challenge is honestly the most anti-fun thing I have ever seen in an idle game. If your intent was to make me stop playing your game, you succeeded admirably. :)

New quote for the in-game description

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

Er, why would you want to.buy your current energy power/cap/bars as a base? Or maybe i'm totally.misunderstanding you.

Shows you how much exp you’ve spent so far. Keeping them balanced for cap and energy is the rule of thumb

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

The IOU will be very worth it.

2 giant cats

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ok I need some direction in NGU. I've done a couple basic challenges and I'm at the point where I can idle out GRB and the highest boss I've killed is 67. What should I be focusing on doing some more of these easier challenges or should I be pushing forward on bosses to unlock more stuff?

I don't appear to be at the point yet where I can kill the second titan and get that dang seed.

The essence of Progression comes with unlocking new features - which comes from beating more titans

This requires higher Adventure Stats - the best source of which right now for you is maxing out and boosting up gear. Consider doing stuff to unlock auto-merge and auto-boost, it makes this a lot less painful if you can leave your computer on to idle.

GRB's drops might be the best you have right now - or maybe you can manually kill a monster in the highest zone you can see. If the highest zone you can access is trivial - push higher bosses by doing longer resets (like 24 hour), making sure to boost your number with blood magic.

Once you can manually kill a monster in the new zone, you can grab the equipment from the boss (duck in and out instead of killing the trash monsters) and then boost it up by idling lower zones.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

headfake posted:

OK so now that I'm starting to cap NGUs, is it right that just pressing Cap alone is pretty useless, because it will almost instantly drop from 100% to 99.999% which is essentially 50% (2 ticks vs. 1)? So you have to either add a little manually, or use the cap modifier from the AP shop?

Is there a way to tell that it fell off of 100% bb? I assume this can happen without the bar even appearing a sliver off of full?

Set the number that you modify energy to 1 million or something that isn’t enormous compared to your max

Hit cap, then add your custom amount. If that didn’t cover your growth over 24 hours, use a bigger number next rebirth

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I've almost Maxx'd the Mega Lands set. What do now. I should probably work on some Challenges next..

Have you beaten Uug yet? That's a good next goal. Basic challenges for the adventure boost wouldn't be the worst thing if you're up for it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I knocked out the basic challenges, thanks something for that change. My Mega set is maxxed now, and I can get to Boss 85 with a few rebirths now. Is this the time to push towards Uug then?

That’s the set I was wearing when I beat him and got him on auto kill. Make sure you’re wearing your combat accessories, and overnight advanced training if you need to. Gold digger adventure is important too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

https://pastebin.com/FZgLT9D8

I've got stuff finally set up enough to do some test card name generation. Let me know what you think!

If you want to make Legendary cards, you could use backer names in front of one of the phrases from this list