Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Number?
This poll is closed.
420 29 47.54%
69 32 52.46%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We were having a discussion in the 'Things Boomers Like' thread about how we were taught math in school and I thought it would be worth its own thread:

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

US math classes were memorizing multiplication tables of 1x1 all the way to 12x12 along with memorizing whatever formula is being taught at the moment until you forget it when moving on to the next.

hawowanlawow posted:

yep that's basically what math class was when I was in school, graduated 07

literally just rote memorization of formulas with no attempt to even say why you would need those formulas, much less how they work

Slaan posted:

Most kids go up to at least geometry and basic algebra and some schools offer stats and calculus. But they didnt teach any of them very well. They go over how you make a graph or use a formula, but not really why you do a thing instead of another formula or why it matters in the real world

The_Franz posted:

A huge chunk of our 5th and 6th grade math curriculum was studying flashcards with equations like this on them with the goal of memorizing the answers. We then had timed tests on them where you had maybe 2-3 seconds to write down the answer and if you didn't have everything memorized you had no chance. I still have no idea what any of that crap was supposed to teach us, other than that math was stressful and sucked. I have never in my life had to arbitrarily recall what 154*11 is, although I can do it in my head in a few seconds.

Funnily enough, a lot of people who were good at that stuff and were tracked into honors math courses because of it quit after Algebra 2, because once it became more about real mathematics than arithmetic a lot of people just didn't get it.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I had poo poo like this in the first and second grades for addition and subtraction. Just sheets full of dozen of equations we had to do in timed drills and it gave me intense, blistering panic to the point I'd hid in my closet and cry instead of doing math homework. I managed to coast on rote memorization until algebra where they got out the graphs and points and letters and I no longer knew what going on, and it was incredibly frustrating because I tried and I should have been good, because I was honor roll and advanced placement classes at everything thing else. Our math teacher was actually the football coach and his method of teaching was "well what does the text book tell you? x goes there, because that's where it belongs? Why don't you get it?"

I too was put into business math so I could graduate. At least I learned what interest and balance sheets were. I wish I could say when I went back to college in my late 20s I understood it, but I struggled with pretty basic stuff there too, like economics and accounting formulas.

Shamino posted:

From about 5th grade on all of my math teachers were also athletic coaches. They would just read the book verbatim and then grade against the answer sheets in the teachers edition of the book.

I am not good at math.

Framboise posted:

I remember the year I started really falling behind in math: 7th grade, taught by the loving golf coach.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I stopped at high school calculus because my principal taught it, had just learned it over the summer, and frequently had to take the class to meet with her teacher because she didn't understand it.

NoWake posted:

Catholic schools in the early-early 90's had literal nuns laying the foundations for kids' literacy in math. I learned to add & subtract numbers by counting imaginary dots, one by one.

The dots were arranged like this:

For each number you come across, you tap your pencil on each dot and double-dot while counting up or down in your head. "one, two, three, four, five, tap, tap, tap, tap..." This process is excruciatingly slow, and the only release was moving on to memorize multiplication tables. Those loving flash card games.

I did this "counting by dots" method up through college. I was an engineering major.

Bonzo posted:

12th grade pre calc class, 1991-92. Everyone in the class has been in AP for most of their time in school but everyone has a D or worse in this one class.
Finally one kid spoke up and said, "I don't think you can teach. This entire room is filled with AP honor roll students but we all have D's. Sounds like it's the teacher, not the students".
He got sent to the office and his parents called. His parents asked the principal the same thing. As far as I know she did not return the following year.

We had coaches teach at my high school but they mostly taught the classes for kids with "behavioral issues".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
We had to recite our times tables, different equations, etc standing up at our desks and the nuns would whack us with rulers if we got it wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We did times tables and in I think 6th grade the math teacher was some nerd with glasses and a pedo moustache who introduced algebra by having us play with chess pieces

but since this is the stupidest loving way to teach algebra of course the next year everything had to be retaught by someone actually competent at their job

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I went to an all boys school and if you did bad on your math test the teacher would yell at you but if your did REAL bad on your test he’d take you into the closet and I don’t know what happened in the closet but the boys were always crying when they came out so he must have said real mean things to them or maybe hit them with his belt or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i know a dude in real life who bought some homeschool calculus kit that basically teaches kids how to find the numerical answers for polynomial integrals and nothing else, all using blocks

so he'd say to his kid "okay kid integrate 5x + 3 from 0 to 2" and they'd go to work with their blocks and eventually get an answer and then I said "do e^x next" and he got super pissed lol

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
you forgot 80085

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
The backs of all the standard blank workbooks everyone used at school for every class in the 90s had grids of the times tables up to 12 x 12 on the back of them

so regardless of what class you were doing, when you tuned out and decided to doodle on the front/back cover of your workbook you ended up learning them. I don't ever recall being taught the times tables in class but the dumbest kid in class (usually me) could still tell you what 7 * 12 was

maxe fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 9, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bird with big dick posted:

I went to an all boys school and if you did bad on your math test the teacher would yell at you but if your did REAL bad on your test he’d take you into the closet and I don’t know what happened in the closet but the boys were always crying when they came out so he must have said real mean things to them or maybe hit them with his belt or something

We had this but with a french teacher - he'd make kids go in his closet by themselves for 10 minutes then go in to speak with them and they'd come out visibly upset.
We all openly called him a paedo around the school and in front of other teachers, he heard us a number of times - sent someone into the closet for it. I found out 5 years after i left that he was fired for -no poo poo- being an actual paedo. How there was truth in that for so long i dont know. Maybe the entire school calling him one and defacing his name tags everywhere helped him deflect the authentic accusations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Holy poo poo yes. From the timed tests with 50 problems on the page grade school to the school football coach teaching math in high school.

When I picked up my second degree I had to finish a couple online math courses that still had class time but were web based and utter dog poo poo.

I then had a series of great and patient professors who acknowledged how I learned math. Many hours of attending tutoring/study sessions later it turned out that I didn't necessarily suck at math, but just needed to understand all the components to the problem being presented.

I now do a mix of chemistry, automation, programming, and environmental science at the dick sucking factory.

E: I forgot this was SA.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 9, 2019

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
One time, in 8th grade geometry class (I was in 7th grade at the time but was in the math class above my grade), I found that the teacher had made a mistake making his answer sheet for the test. He did not believe me, which was pretty hosed up. He later realized his mistake and corrected it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
69 is the sex number

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My 3rd grade teacher got off on some kind of power trip by giving us all ridiculous amounts of math homework. 3rd grade so it was really simple stuff, but just so, so many problems. It would be like "11 + 25 = ?", "80 + 34 = ?" but 50 of these things, every day as homework. I was a stubborn child so after I went through the first 10 or so of them with absolutely zero difficulty, I just got fed up and considered it a waste of time. loving teacher responded by having me checked for a learning disorder because of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In college I took DiffEq via a correspondence course because why the gently caress would I go sit in a classroom for hours every week when I can just teach that poo poo to myself over the summer? It was cool I just e-mailed the professor my homework and there were 3 exams that I took at the library

It was extra hilarious because upper-division physics classes were the following year, and while we had all taken DiffEq I was the only one who remembered how to do any of that poo poo.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Back in high school algebra I had a math teacher who had tenure (I assume) and used it as license to be lazy as gently caress. Instead of actual instruction we were just assigned to do assignments via this program called Accelerated Math that printed out problems for you to solve, bubble in, and scan for a score. She'd actually teach like maybe once or twice a week, otherwise she just avoided us while we worked. Anyway a year or so later I was dicking around on the computers and noticed that a previously inaccessible network drive was inexplicably accessible and among other things included the install directory and record storage for Accelerated Math. I quickly logged over to the generic student login rather than my own and deleted the whole fuckin' thing. I also left a nasty taunting note in its place because I was a lovely teenager. Never got caught, even though administration was sure I did it (I was known for insubordination and being a filthy computer toucher) they couldn't prove it.

According to my brother, who was in lazyass teacher's class she actually had to work until the end of the school year (this happened mid-Spring-semester).

Ahh... one of the few positive memories I have of high school.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

My 3rd grade teacher got off on some kind of power trip by giving us all ridiculous amounts of math homework. 3rd grade so it was really simple stuff, but just so, so many problems. It would be like "11 + 25 = ?", "80 + 34 = ?" but 50 of these things, every day as homework. I was a stubborn child so after I went through the first 10 or so of them with absolutely zero difficulty, I just got fed up and considered it a waste of time. loving teacher responded by having me checked for a learning disorder because of it.

even in 3rd grade that should have been like 15 minutes of work that you just crank out right before class starts, and now here you are, a goon posting in GBS

all signs point to a real learning disability

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

QuarkJets posted:

It was extra hilarious because upper-division physics classes were the following year, and while we had all taken DiffEq I was the only one who remembered how to do any of that poo poo.

Of course you were the only one who remembered; you were the only chump who actually did the work in a correspondence course rather than cheating.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I was taught to count using the inches of my penis and this has held me back a great deal in life.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Do kids not memorize times tables anymore? We memorized up to 12x12 in maybe 2nd grade. Also the counting dots for addition was one of the first math things I can remember learning as a child.

I was lucky to go to a high school with good math teachers who did more than have us memorize a formula and plug in numbers.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
showed up late/not at all to my undergrad calc classes and sometimes fell asleep too only to jolt awake to give the correct answer, got an A- and all the other students were pissed at me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

even in 3rd grade that should have been like 15 minutes of work that you just crank out right before class starts, and now here you are, a goon posting in GBS

all signs point to a real learning disability

I mean I'm sure I have all kinds of disabilities but the point is that I didn't had a math-related one

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont remember the name, but I saw it Giant Bomb playing a long time ago, where you have 3 seconds to answer a math problem like 3465535 - 235235 or you are beaten.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

I didn't had a math-related one

Yeah obviously you've got a language processing one.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
my teachers would beat me every time I got an answer wrong

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Resting Lich Face posted:

Yeah obviously you've got a language processing one.

Lol drat it

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
How is memorizing multiplication tables bad again? How are you supposed to learn how to multipy? And not just because of that but that thread is trash.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I was taught to use US customary units of measurement instead of SI units. It was pretty hosed up.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:j: "Jack has 50 cookies and Jill ate 30, how many does Jack have left?"

:v: "Twenty."

:kingsley: "Twenty WHAT? Cats? COINS? CREDIT CARDS?!?!?!?!?!?"

:shudder: Twenty cookies...

^Sums up most of my 8th grade math classes. The teacher was extremely anal about making students follow up on the items the quantity was attached to. She was also extremely negative about the internet, one day ending a class with "in the 1950's, the work a student did worth a C is now worth an A today, AND YOU CAN THANK THE INTERNET FOR THIS!!!"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Schweinhund posted:

How is memorizing multiplication tables bad again? How are you supposed to learn how to multipy? And not just because of that but that thread is trash.
If you use it enough you memorize it anyway.

And you can always cheat like 9*2 = (3+6) * 2 = 6 + 12 etcetc

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 9, 2019

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Kept talking about Aerosmith instead of teaching us maths.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Paging Genesplicer, because we have to know...... :woop:

I couldn't find the stupid Alarm smiley, and I couldn't find the offsite that had it all listed.

How many pebbles did you multiply?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I too was forced to watch this

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Whooping Crabs posted:

I too was forced to watch this

you must watch donald in mathmagic land or donald will hunt you down.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Pawn 17 posted:

Do kids not memorize times tables anymore? We memorized up to 12x12 in maybe 2nd grade. Also the counting dots for addition was one of the first math things I can remember learning as a child.

I was lucky to go to a high school with good math teachers who did more than have us memorize a formula and plug in numbers.

Common Core Mathematics Standards posted:

Multiply and divide within 100.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.OA.C.7
Fluently multiply and divide within 100, using strategies such as the relationship between multiplication and division (e.g., knowing that 8 × 5 = 40, one knows 40 ÷ 5 = 8) or properties of operations. By the end of Grade 3, know from memory all products of two one-digit numbers.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

2 parents minus 1 parent equals single parent

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They made us do some weird rear end visual thing in elementary school called the lattice method that I immediately forgot. It took way longer and I already knew how to multiply. I can't even be bothered parsing exactly how its done from this picture.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Looks like some kind of lovely rear end sodoku knockoff.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://vimeo.com/77451201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

QuarkJets posted:

In college I took DiffEq via a correspondence course because why the gently caress would I go sit in a classroom for hours every week when I can just teach that poo poo to myself over the summer? It was cool I just e-mailed the professor my homework and there were 3 exams that I took at the library

Diff eq is the real math teaching injustice because it's like a semester of really intense logic puzzles and complex systems of equations and then like the last 3 weeks are like actually it's all been a sick joke, 75% of these are just simple high school algebra in the frequency domain.

Then you take the final and it's show your work all over again as you are told to solve them the complicated way unless your test writer is an evil genius and only gives the 25% that turn into nonsense in the frequency domain so you can't even check if your result was correct.