Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cloud Atlas and Sense8 were leagues better than the original Matrix so I'm pretty stoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 1/3 was amazing, funny, charming, horny, meta, cool, weird, mindbending and chill

The second 1/3 was a delirious hot mess with extremely dumb and obvious storytelling but also really cool hints at the truth being a mega mindfuck

The last 1/3 was painfully boring, rushed, and entirely focused on a set of banal conflicts that seemed to miss point entirely

So it mirrors the original trilogy even in quality. I doubt Lana did that on purpose - the old quote from the Coca-Cola executive about New Coke comes to mind:

"Some say it was a plan. The truth is, we're not that dumb and we're not that smart."

It's funny. Ever since the first trailer I've been thinking "Well, there's no way it'll be just kind of okay. It'll either be a crazy awesome mindfuck or it'll be terrible."

And... it was very much "just ok". Saw it in a packed theater and almost nothing in the movie got the crowd going. No cheers, no gasps, barely even any laughs! When I saw Spiderman III-2 last week, the crowd reacted to a LOT of things, so that's interesting.

Many people laughed at the end credits song. Myself included. Wow, that was really really bad and all I could think was "good lord I hope Lana doesn't think this is hardcore or something".

It kinda sucks because I loved Sense8 a lot and was expecting this to be at least that good. Instead it was... probably the third worst Wachowski-involved film... which is like, woof.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LionArcher posted:

On the other hand, don’t look up is my second favorite movie of the year (behind Dune).

Don't Look Up is the most offensively inoffensive movie I've seen since... oh, I don't know... Wag the Dog or Primary Colors maybe.

It entertained me, and I hate myself for that fact.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dune was absolutely sublime in every way though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyway this was billed as the Gremlins 2 of Matrix movies and it wasn't, at all. Bummer.

This is entirely accurate, thank you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I love how Neo cucks Chad.

There's a Universe where this solitary comment becomes unstuck in time and presents itself to someone who has just seen the first movie.

The unnecessary return of something we had left behind long ago. For value.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do feel bad for anyone who doesn't like Morpheus 2. He's probably the best part of the good half of this movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe some day people will try making things good on purpose :kiddo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Like if the original trilogy is Mass Effect, this felt like Andromeda.

Andromeda's first mission was nowhere near as good as this movie's first act

But otherwise

Apt

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, the original trilogy IS Mass Effect

The second entry is way better, the third entry is inexplicably loud and incoherent with a flatulent New Age denouement, hardcore fans love to say the first entry is the only one that's any good, and let's not even talk about the Asari

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

endocriminologist posted:

He is French and he doesn’t like neo

"You know what they call Neo in France? One's the One, but they call 'im Le One."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hand Knit posted:

Matrix 4 is Trainspotting 2 in a world without Spud.

Even the non-Spud parts of T2 were good tho

drat that was a proper sequel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

True, it's just that some people seem really angry about it which I just find baffling.

Something I had to learn the hard way over many decades:

If people often seem angry to you on the Internet, it's most likely because of the way you're looking at their words, rather than any intent inherent in them. Lack of context and body language breeds misinterpretation, and people are seemingly most likely to assume the most negative possible intent at all times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with that reading is that the point isn't that they are wrong. It is that it is a shallow heartless reading of the film. Like "The Matrix is about trans rights" doesn't have to be incorrect for the shallow marketing person going "It's gotta be about, uh, trans stuff, right?" to not actually be saying anything of note or meaning because he doesn't care about Trans Rights, just "what are the marketing buzzwords for The Matrix."

Being inauthentic is worse than being wrong. I would say that character thinks they believe in Trans Rights, and likely has a list of demonstrable actions to back up that theory.

Like all the basic white people who put "BLM" in their Tinder profiles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

LGBTQ+ matters are absolutely used as a cheap marketing ploy all the loving time, as is limpwristed criticism

Haha I'm not sure you thought this through. I don't think you should be using limpwristed as a negative term anymore but definitely not in the same sentence as LGBTQ Rights

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This movie is essentially a joke, but it's a good joke.

The setup is fantastic, but the punchline sucks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

The setup is fantastic, but the punchline sucks

Much like my posting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bedshaped posted:

It was so weird, after Mouse in the first movie talks about how nobody can be sure if anything in the Matrix is authentic because they rely on machine interpretation, that the General gleefully exclaims they have recreated tasty fruits based on Matrix DNA code.

Yeah it's so weird it's almost as if the person who wrote it was just kind of half-assing it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Between two pillows.

"There is no pillow."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

Leave all the fake control people behind to join a cabal of free- thinkers. It's ok if some of those people die along the way because they're not real people or they'd agree with us.

You really should watch A Glitch in the Matrix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

Rewatching the new matrix movie got me relistening to Ministry again so I’m thankful for that.

Has Al Jourgenson written even one good song since Filth Pig?

imo "Forkboy" is the best thing he was ever involved with

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"He did the unthinkable... he made sex unsexy."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Archer666 posted:

But would it have been a better movie if Lana wasn't involved at all?

a better movie, yes. a better Matrix movie? ehhhhhhh probably not really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

I wonder if she was aware of the thematic disconnect; Lana is trying to fit a message that boring and safe is bad into a boring film that she was the safe choice to direct. Ressurections takes no real chances, delivers a whole lot of Matrix, and feels like a film full of contempt for itself.

There's so much passive aggressive weirdness and jabs at WB in the script that you have to wonder if she sandbagged the film, intentional or not.

It's like she was punishing WB for sticking with her instead of bringing on someone determined to make IV the best loving Matrix movie.

100% otm

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moths posted:

Group shot of an androgynous group in a science lab. Everyone is dressed like this KMFDM promo photo:

Killing Morpheus loving Didn't Matter

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say the one thing this movie ended up being is generic

Like in the lead-up we were all thinking ohhhhh poo poo is it gonna be like there's a matrix within the matrix or like whaaaaaat crazy mindfuck is there gonna be????

but

the movie is just

"yeah no it's just the matrix again. nothing you knew before has been changed or whatever it's just the matrix again peace"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Simiain posted:

I have a very basic understanding of the foucauldian and hegelian themes of the movies as a whole, and understand how problematic the implications of those themes can be, but I'm happy to give Lana Wachowski the benefit of the doubt as she seems like a pretty awesome person.

Something I'm always perplexed by is when people (and I'm not calling you out, just using your post as a launching point) seem to think that someone being awesome means they are a good or coherent writer.

Like yes, Lana Wachowski is probably cool and I wish she were my friend. I'm with you all on that. Doesn't make the movie good, doesn't mean I have to be like "hmmm it must be really deep and have a lot of complex interlocking meanings"

We're talking about someone who wrote half of Jupiter Ascending. Being a rad person doesn't make you suddenly become Pynchon.

I think maybe this sounds more harsh than I intend it to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I can't believe some people think that like, she tricked WB somehow, those scenes are fun and obviously WB liked them.

Yeah it does my head in that we're sitting here in 2022 and some people haven't yet arrived at "the most corporate thing of all is to let someone mock your own corporation". It's a demonstration of power, a flex.

WB is saying "ha ha we're terrible and we suck, and yet here you are paying to watch this". It's a gottem. It's not an in-joke, it's not a wink and a nod, it's a product. It's a well done steak and a glass of Scotch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

WB doesn't give two fucks how they're portrayed because at the end of the day you're paying them to see them be made fun of. They own the franchise, they're going to do anything to make money from it and off people enjoying whatever medium it's manufactured in. They win.

Yeah exactly. Despite the law, corporations are NOT people and do not have feelings. Making fun of them is still engaging with them. It's still them winning.

The only way to defeat corporations is to ignore them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

“The city” isn’t just people talking casually, the city is named “the city” and you see it written on stuff constantly

yeah i don't remember where but i'm like 99.9999999999% sure that it's canon that "the city" was the only city in the matrix, that the simulation was simplified down to like repo man levels where the beer just says "BEER" etc etc

that was like the whole point AFAIK IIRC ITT

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wondering how you could possibly have a realistic representation of the 1950s-2020s without nation states.

its a fictional movie op

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay-V posted:

In this movie, a gamer/coder get cucked by a chad and then got redpilled??

our monitors only use 3 colors... red green blue...

there's only 3 distinct flavors of doritos and everything else is just a combination of those... nacho cheese salsa verde and cool ranch... RED GREEN BLUE

oh gently caress. oh poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Comrade Fakename posted:

I realised what this movie was reminding me of: a feature length pilot episode of a Matrix TV series like Stargate SG1 or something. It's got everything - a new, younger crew and lead who can carry the majority of the new series. A handful of your old favourites who will probably only be making cameos from now on (and likely finally die at the end of the first season). Plot reasons for why some of the old characters were recast as new, younger (cheaper) actors. A reset of the narrative allowing the dynamic of the original (our heroes fighting a machine civilisation keeping humanity in a Matrix) to return. An overriding feeling of cheapness and an aesthetic flattening much better suited to rapid production.

this is what i was thinking as well. with COVID and everything i think it's entirely possible that lana or WB or both were at some point considering turning it into more of a mini series thing like sense8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
except that sense8 didn't look nearly this cheap lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

Actually, to be fair to the movie Trinity just asks Chad if she "looks like" the game character.

and, textually, he's right to laugh at her because of the extremely half-baked "neo and trinity look old in the matrix" idea

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuts and Gum posted:

The movie is bad for so many reasons already discussed, but coming away with ‘it says you shouldn’t listen to your therapist or take your meds’ is a real surface level shallow take.

the movie was written by a flawed human being. it is possible that Lana has bad opinions! i personally don't think it's likely, but it's weird to me that people (not you, everyone) have this kind of weird thing where they don't account for the fact that writers can be flawed, can be totally wrong, etc. As if it's somehow impossible that she could have written something that one might disagree with?

It's something I'm trying real hard to grok and I just can't figure out where it comes from... maybe I'm the weird one for NOT thinking that way?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ferrinus posted:

I thought the analyst's cartoonish misogyny was unrealistic, not because of its content but because he was willing to air it where women were listening. But, then again, he was basically a minor deity who could arrange to have people's memories rewritten.

It felt to me like the Analyst was basically a 12 year old kid, a "young program". Taken in that light, his character makes a lot more sense. He was just a dumb kid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ferrinus posted:

Grown men absolutely think and act on those premises, they're just socialized to test the waters before vocalizing them.

Yes, I know, but the Analyst was not a man, grown or otherwise. He's a computer program.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Never noticed Neo's passport literally expires on 9/11/2001. Wild coincidence there.

count yourself lucky that you were never cornered at a party by a guy whose mind was blown by that fact then lol

see also: the band named Explosions in the Sky released an album the day before 9/11 and in the liner notes was the phrase "this plane will crash tomorrow"

reality is fuckin weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ideologies like "i believe i'm a dragon in a human suit" are freaky deaky to most people, not because those beliefs are particularly incoherent, but precisely because they remind people that all beliefs we hold are basically nonsense.