Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not sure I like this "Fame makes it possible to win the game in any age!" thing they're talking about. Sounds very game-able, and not in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

but on the upside, if fame is initially janky but there are some quick easy fixes it won't take months for it to get patched

Maybe. The risk of trying to avoid a boring endgame is that they might make the endgame come shockingly early.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. Do you think that hitting a certain fame rating wins the game? Because I'm seeing that you must play out all eras, and then the winner is tallied up.

That brings its own problems though. Going to need a lot of balancing to keep the game fun through all ages in every playthrough. Good news is that this is not Firaxis so the developers will actually try to balance upon customer request.

Oh, I got the impression from the article that the game could end in any era if you got your fame high enough.

Just tallying up fame at the end seems like a letdown of a way to end the game, though. Especially if you do boom early. What's the late game for that approach, then? Just being a dick to keep everyone else from rivaling your past glory?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chadzok posted:

Seems like there is a certain number of stars (21) up for grabs each era. So if you manage to grab tons early you'd try to maybe just keep getting enough each era that no one can challenge your stash - or keep switching your allegiances to make sure no one gets big enough to be a significant star-grabber. It really could lead to way more interesting endgame scenarios than just a race to a finish line.

The flip side of that, though, is the possibility that you'd effectively win the game long before the game actually ends. Civ in my experience is rarely a race to the finish line, someone gains a big advantage in the early to mid game and no one can shake it.

What you're talking about is either continuing the snowball, or not so much playing to win anymore as playing to keep anyone else from winning.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We don't know the finer points of how it's going to work yet but if it's the only victory condition then we can probably expect it to be well-balanced.

These are the guys who make the Endless X games, so, uh... probably not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
No actual information about what any of those things do, I see.

If I had to guess...

Phoenicians: better trireme, better harbor? Or possibly an extra building - production to naval units, maybe, and/or trade stuff.

Olmecs: better slinger, culture/religious building/replacement?

Nubians: better archer, culture/religious building

Mycenaeans: better warrior, defensive building

Hittites: better chariot, defensive building

Harappans: better scout (spy? diplomat?), better farm or aqueduct or something

Egyptians: better chariot (better ranged chariot?), culture/religious building

Babylonians: better warrior, better library (or temple that also gives science?)

Assyrians: better horseman, defensive building

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

webmeister posted:

They've also mentioned at least one culture from every area of the globe, including Polynesia and Australia which should be interesting.

Modern era civs aren't too difficult to imagine. United States, Australia, Brazil, India, possibly Argentina, Canada, or South Africa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just want to relax and build a pretty-looking empire, and I'll buy this game or not based on how well it caters to that.

Civ6's completely psychotic AI is a big part of why I didn't enjoy that game and never bought the expansions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I really like EL combat at the beginning of the game, but it fades when the number of units gets insane. It doesn't scale well.

What killed EL's combat for me was the design-your-own-units-from-templates thing.

I really, really hate that kind of thing, which plagues sci-fi 4Xes in particular. I don't want to design my own units or customize them to ridiculous levels. I want a premade list of units that each have a role and place in the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GlyphGryph posted:

SMAC was the only unit designer I thought added anything of value, even if bulk upgrading was a bit cumbersome. Just special abilities, and then best weapons/armor/both depending on whether you were building a defender, attacker, or all purpose dude. Maybe swap out some chassis for formers or colony pods. And even then it would have been fine without it.

Even then, the only things I ever really used SMAC's unit designer for was making formers with synthmetal armor so they'd count as combat units and shrug off worm attacks, and deciding which two of Comm Jammer, AAA Tracking, Hypnotic Trance, and Clean Reactor I'd put on my defense units.

Also, seconding not being enthused by these culture previews in the absence of knowing what any of this poo poo actually means. The Phoenicians probably have some kind of naval advantage, but the teaser didn't say anything about it. You'd think providing some vague explanation of what the units and districts do would whet the appetite of players and get them thinking about what cultures they'd like to play as for their preferred strategies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clarste posted:

It seems to be following the EL thing where regions are pre-defined by the world generator and you can only have one city per region. I'd imagine an outpost is something like a pre-city where the city is in a vulnerable state before it becomes a city proper. Since that's exactly what they were in ES2.

And exactly what CBE did.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

webmeister posted:

Yes, but it also works such that for each era or age you play as a new culture, while retaining the bonuses and abilities from all previous cultures you’ve played. So you could pick a couple of early food/economy cultures and aim to crush your enemies in the mid game with a military culture. Or just go straight diplomatic with every pick.

Apparently you can also opt out of adding a new culture for the new era, increasing your bonuses from earlier eras - so a risk, but one that might pay off in terms of Fame or whatever their Victory Points are called.

This sounds like something that cannot possibly be balanced, at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beamed posted:

I hope not. One of the benefits to this not being made by the Civ folks is the hope that actual balance passes and effort will be put into this.

It's reaching Beyond Earth levels of "Customize your civ however you want! Win however you want, whenever you want! You can win in the middle ages, or in the space age, or in the classic age!" poo poo. And no, that is not going to be balanced by any realistic means.

The more options you give players, the more likely it is that some of them will be clearly better than others and the more likely that people are going to figure out how to optimally play the game within hours of release.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chomp8645 posted:

Correct, it is an Amplitude game.

I haven't played enough Amplitude games to know. :v: Bounced pretty hard off Endless Legend, and Endless Space wasn't much better. Pretty looking games that completely baffled me as to how to actually play them, so never bought any of the expansions or DLC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Yeah. Is it a cultural building? Is it a faith building? Is it a prestige building? Is it a government power building of some kind? :iiam:

And they've already said none of these are going to be unique buildings or units, so for all we know all these units and districts or buildings or whatever are going to be for everyone and they just get extra bonuses in the hands of their associated culture.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aerdan posted:

Classical Era civs revealed so far:

* Scientist Greeks, with emblematic unit Hoplites and emblematic quarter Amphitheatron.
* Militarist Goths, with emblematic unit Gothic Cavalry and emblematic quarter Tumulus.
* Merchant Carthaginians, with emblematic unit War Elephant and emblematic quarter Cothon.

And still not even a vague description of what any of these things mean.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So yeah, the devs were lying and 'emblematic units' are totally just unique units from Civ.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

They're usually a really good company at communicating. It's clear that they are way behind on this game, and I don't know what force it is that is preventing them from just telling us that.

That and they seem to be trying really hard to find ways to say it's not a Civilization clone when all the hard details we actually know say yeah, it's a Civilization clone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm starting to get Civilization: Beyond Earth vibes from this. A game no one asked for that the marketing team realizes isn't as creative or unique or innovative as the guy whose passion project it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The video also shows popups for choosing how to react to a new board game sweeping the nation, and how much your people should like music. You're probably not going to get popups every turn, but you will be forced to stop planning for war or building your empire to decide how a hot new board game will affect your empire.

Exciting.

Just about every 4X has popup events. They're not worth talking about as an exciting feature, and I find it mildly concerning that these folks think they are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jeza posted:

Dollars to doughnuts that the combat is in the vein of Endless Legend, i.e. map traversal of units that jumps into a miniature hex battlefield which represents the surrounding area. Looks like they made some noise about it differing from EL because it uses 'armies' rather than units, but it's not really clear what that means.

As long as they don't have a unit designer I can live with that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jeza posted:

Yeah that stuff was always needless busywork. It was always doubly a pain in Endless Space games where you couldn't even realistically 'counter' enemy fleets because each fleet you faced was just a total hodgepodge of Cruiser6, Cruiser14 with a completely random assortment of shields/hulls/weapons for no explicable reason.

It's the biggest reason why I never got into any of the Endless games. Options upon options upon options, with no documentation as to when you'd want to use what and how/if you should mix your forces etc etc.

Features for features' sake is not good game design, and the unit designer is a scourge on space 4Xes in particular.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Really I'm still pretty on board with this game. A different twist on the kind of thing Civ does with really pretty graphics and hopefully a less annoying combat system sounds perfectly good to me. I like the apparent flexibility of having just one victory condition that you can chase by doing different things in each era, too.

I'm not that well-versed in 4x games, though, really only having played Civ. I keep meaning to try Endless Legend one of these days.

Endless Legend was an interesting game with creative and diverse factions that I never figured out how to actually play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also confirmation that minor races/city-states/whatever will be in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Theodora as a new alternate ruler for both Rome and Greece.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nice Sultan Camii you got there. Would be a shame if something happened to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

u brexit ukip it posted:

I wish a Civ-like game would go beyond the present era and have one future time period. The old Call to Power games, for all their faults, did this well until you built an AI wonder that then rebelled and took over half your cities

Beyond Earth. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
British Empire... without naval bonuses? Da gently caress?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gort posted:

Navy stuff can be a bit of a balance nightmare (IE: If there's no water on the map, or tons of it) so maybe they decided to just go with land units for the cultures.

Phoenicians, Norse, and Dutch have all been shown with unique naval units so far. Carthaginians have a unique harbor but no naval unit.

It looks like they're doing one naval civ per era, and for some reason the British aren't it for the Industrial Era.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 22, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

We don't know the culture's legacy bonus or what the Colonial Office actually does. Regardless I'd have been a big fan of their unit being a Dreadnaught or some type of key Frigate. Redcoats are stupid, at least do Highlanders or something.

If they are doing one naval civ per era as the pattern has been so far, maybe the United States with a Monitor as the unique unit?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

Leaks indicate America is a Contemporary culture and Germany shows up in Industrial and probably with Uboats.

I'm as flabbergasted as you probably are.

Glorifying Germany from the first half of the 20th century wouldn't be my choice, no.

If I were to represent Germany in a 4X like this, I'd probably go for Germany as a Contemporary civilization focused on industry and diplomacy.

That's something I thought CBE nailed when it added INTEGR: the German faction is characterized as a liberal, secular, diplomatic group focused on trade and diplomacy with a peaceful AI.

Though America as the naval civ in the Contemporary Era would be a natural choice, with a Supercarrier or SSN as obvious units.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rimusutera posted:

I sort've have mixed feelings maybe, and can see where you're coming from, but without knowing the actual meat of it I'm left underwhelmed with whether this'll encourage the sort've gameplay I would want to expect aiming for encourages or is encouraged by picking the British as a culture.

If I had to guess, Humankind will bring over the continents/region system from Endless Legend, and Redcoats will have bonus strength when in a continent/region you don't own, likewise the Colonial Office will get bonuses relating to trading with different continents/regions. Emphasizing Britain as a global power that wants to be fighting and trading away from home. Which is all fine, but at the same time the Royal Navy is kind of what made all of that possible and was one of the defining parts of the British Empire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

English: "Oh God we haven't finished that poo poo yet."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Will you play as California in the Information era 🤔

Kinda wish they'd go a bit silly with it, like Call to Power.

Genetic Age civs:

Lunar Coalition
Federal Republic of Atlantis
Pacifica
United States of EurAsiAfricAmerica
Free Martian Colonies
Empire of Andorra

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

F-35 for a choice is beyond stupid.

How about a Nimitz class supercarrier? B-2 stealth bombers? Cruise missiles? You know, the things that have actually projected American power across the globe for decades?

You know, despite the US Navy being the largest and best-funded wing of the American military for centuries and critical to American global hegemony, I can't think of a single 4X game with historical civilizations that portrays the US as any kind of naval power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

But a country's iconic unit should reflect what brought them to the height of their power. It should be the aircraft carrier.

The Balao class submarine would also be a good one. They're still in service today, in Taiwan. :black101:

Constitution class frigate would be another fine choice if you want to look towards the earlier period of America's growth and expansion.

Or Liberty Ships.