Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ranged spam is effective because it's like a form of stacking: it's one of the few ways you have of concentrating force. Same reason why bombers are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I remember hearing there are at least three iterations of China in the game, starting with the Zhou in the ancient era (getting a preview any day now), and ending with the PRC in the industrial era.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I remember playing Alpha Centauri for the first time, and feeling relieved when I realised you just had to give every unit the most recent weapon/armour/battery, and the only real decisions were in the special attachments.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 13, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That video also indicates that they've got a province system similar to Endless Legend, predefined areas to be settled in. There's a nice clear shot of it around 2:35.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've never minded it. It makes the AI spread their cities out sensibly, I guess. Anyway, it's nice to see the game's using small tiles; all those zoomed-in screenshots made me think they were going for a scale more like Civ V.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's very abstract. There's no map, just representations of important bits of land you own. There isn't a tech tree, just cards for more advanced archetypes to unlock, with almost no dependencies. The minute-to-minute gameplay is totally unlike Civ (or the Endless games).

It's pretty good for what it is: a short version of the civ experience, taking your people down some different path and building an enduring culture. The AI can put up a decent fight, too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Don Pigeon posted:

It's terrible, they just didn't want to use the word that's always used for this type of stuff ('unique')

The word "unique" is emblematic of the Civ series; they needed something unique

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It seems that, in addition to their unique science bonuses, having the "Scientist" trait means the Babylonians get extra fame if they achieve the sciencey fame condition.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IGN's short gameplay demo went up a day early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcnslbGBYc

There's some new stuff in it. We get a good look at a bunch of the dilemmas, and how they feed into the civics system. There's a bunch of ~~SLIDERS~~ that reflect your national ideals and customs. We see a little of how the culture-choosing system actually looks and feels, and a look at the natural wonders.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I hate the popup-spam in ES2, but they make it easy to disable them at least.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If no-one picks the Aztecs, the game just ends midway through the Medieval

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That would be interesting.

And reminds me how weird it is in Civ that 'barbarians' will still spawn in the modern area, with modern equipment, so you might randomly get a 'barbarian' destroyer sailing down from the arctic circle.

Barbarians should update to pirates and then terrorists, or something. And have appropriate units/bases

It reminds me of that one EU 3 mod that stretches the game out to the modern era, where nations can hire pirates to blockade their enemies with nuclear subs and carriers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Opendev's up; I didn't get an invite. Ah, well. Some screenshots of the early-game tech tree here

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Krazyface posted:

Opendev's up; I didn't get an invite. Ah, well. Some screenshots of the early-game tech tree here

Turns out I didn't wait long enough; I did get in. Played through the scenario twice.

It's pretty good. Expansion feels good; you don't have to spend ages building settler units; instead you just need some soldiers and a lot of gold, and your soldiers tend to make money just by being out in the field. I like that you can claim land cheaply without fully settling it; the second go around, I was able to hook up some distant coffee and marble.

I fought a couple "battles" against the animals, all of them of my own choice; the animals (in this scenario at least) just leave you alone. They were kind of time-consuming, especially since I couldn't find the option to speed up animations. I preferred the direct command over Endless Legend's implementation.

The Babylonians are alright. Their unique soldier seems quite strong, although you need copper to actually build them, which is fair. The unique astronomy house quarter was a bit disappointing. On the face of it, an early-game district that generates both food and science from the surrounding tiles sounds great, but there was hardly any science on the map, so there wasn't much advantage over a regular farmer's quarter. Plus, the farmer's quarter has a bunch of adjacency interactions with the other quarters that the AH doesn't, so it felt like a bit of a trap choice. The other Babylonian ability, the mode where they can turn a city's hammer/gold production into science, is good as hell, and lets you get a tech every turn or two quite easily (which is good, because I occasionally found myself without anything good to spend my production on).

Anyway, there are a lot of terms that aren't explained very well, and I don't really understand what happens to a tile's yields when you build a city extension over it. The post-demo questionnaire had a bunch of questions about which of the game's systems I actually engaged with (for instance, I didn't do any forest-chopping at all). Overall, an interesting time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I was able to win the Persia scenario, but only because the Greek capture point spawned on the river. Every turn they'd stay on the high ground and maul my horses, and every turn I'd send a new bunch of horses in. Then for the second turn of battle, I just left the spot open, and the Greeks declined to recapture it. The AI does a pretty good job of maintaining a line and denying you the high ground. Since you have no ranged units, and your melee units are all dependent on having the high ground, it makes for a very annoying scenario to actually play. Maybe you can bait them into attacking if you keep most of your forces behind the ridge.

The Vikings in Paris scenario is a lot more fun, although it really highlights some problems with the reinforcements system. Why is there a distinction between reinforcements and reserve? Why do reinforcing armies start by putting all their units onto a single hex, and having you right-click them out of that hex one-by-one, and give you no indication of which unit you've got selected? Why would you make a scenario with sea reinforcements, and not have a message about how you've got to put them on land first? First time around I was able to eke out a win; since my entire army died, the AI decided I was weak, and repeatedly attacked into my trebuchets. Second time around it all went smoothly; I consolidated my forces before the battle, and steadily ground through them.

It's very unpleasant to play without fast combat animations on.

Anyway, the AI is pretty effective at using its units; my main gripes are with the scenario design and the lack of information.

edit: Reddit post detailing the damage tables; a small difference in strength can produce a huge difference in damage.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 7, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just finished it. Lost Oxford (and all my nights); they were besieging London at the end, but the AI ran out of time before it could kill me. Holy hell, those elephants are too strong. My melee units would commit suicide if I sent them to attack, and my ranged units could do 5-10 damage per hit, whereas the elephants could fire back and deal around 60 damage. They tended to attack the nearest enemy, so I was able to able to keep my archers alive by sacrificing melee units. Still, though, it's wonky. The elephants had a combat strength of around 43; they should be stronger than my 33-strength units, but not "can two-shot everything and never die" type strong.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There is in fact an animation speed setting, it's called something weird like "speed multiplication factor", but it's there

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1295752347172458498

They're doing these in alphab order. Interestingly, there haven't been any Ottomans yet, which would mean that they're either not in the game, or they're not in the EM era. Or they called them "Turks", I guess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1299414193158971396

Someone wanna do me a solid and transcribe or restate the video contents? Half-deaf at the best of times and I've got an ear infection making things worse.

[Romain de Waubert, Founder+Creative Director]
For Humankind, we looked at how religion shaped history, sometimes in amazing ways, sometimes in dark ways. We wanted religion to reflect this, to reinforce the immersion, enabling you to craft a deeper identity for your civilisation, but also providing a way for you to influence the people in the neighbouring cultures.

Now, religion evolves over the course of the game. It's volatile at first, with one religion for every civilisation. Religions slowly consolidate into a few large blocs. Civics also allow you to decide how religion is handled in your civilisation.

[Cut to William Dyce, Senior Game Designer]
So once your population has grown enough, you're able to found your first religion. Then, as the number of followers grows you can add new Tenets to the religion, which add bonuses. You can also adopt historical religions, in order to gain access to additional holy sites. Territories generate Faith based on civics, holy sites, religious districts, and so on. This faith is then used to spread your religion across the map. So if a territory is producing more faith than its neighbours, then after a few turns those territories, those neighbouring territories, will convert to your religion. You should note, though, that this can cause grievances, and be a cause for war down the road.

Each civilisation has a state religion. If enough followers of a different religion are present within your borders, you can choose to adopt that religion as your state religion. There'll be impacts on stability, either bonuses or penalties, based on what proportion of your population follows your state religion, so you'll want to go along with what your population wants. And there are various other reasons why you might want to change, for instance empires might be able to justify wars against you if you're of another religion. Or, you might want to adopt a neighbour's religion because it's quite strong, because it has a lot of tenets and bonuses. Bear in mind that only the religious leader, that is the civilisation that controls the most holy sites, is able to pick the next tenets that will be added to the religion.

Players will use civics to define their civilisation's posture towards religion. So this will allow players to choose how they treat religious minorities, and whether they go to war for religion. So you can pursue your religion very aggressively, expanding its borders, going to war, persecuting or banishing minorities. Or you can go for something much more open, accepting minorities, separating church and state. Or alternatively, you can leave this entirely up to your population, so you can accept the religion that they choose; maybe a neighbour's religion that's stronger than yours.

Various cultures in the game use religion in a number of different ways. For instance, in the early game the Olmecs, with their emblematic district the Colossal Head, are particularly good at spreading their religion because it produces a lot of faith. Other cultures have synergy bonuses that gain economic bonuses when they're building next to religious districts. And others, as well, might have military bonuses, so for instance the Teuton culture, their Teutonic Knights gain combat strength bonuses against units belonging to religions other than theirs.

[back to Romain]
So, religion is one additional way for you to shape your own civilisation, and leave your mark on humankind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's the Contemporary era, which is meant to correspond to the postWWII period. I believe they've mentioned the PRC as a Contemporary civ.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Franco-Prussian War, which is of course what we call that time the Franco-Prussians invaded us

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You won't be all that surprised to know the next Industrial civ is (prerevolutionary) Russia:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1323671741126844423

Also they went back and redid the art for the Franks:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1323301388110254080

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Who could forget that classical Siamese unit, the gatling elephant:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1326208558157934594

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Look, it's the contemporary era, we might as well chuck down some strip-mines, the game's almost over anyway.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Danann posted:

I built a megacity out of boredom:

Constantinople, the Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Romes

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I'm still not quite sure what the term contemporary refers to Humankind's case. Is it the cold war era or like, today?

Yes

(It's meant to be the entire period since the Second World War)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of the period since the Second World War, Soviets are in:
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1397221028267446289

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A city harvests the yields of every tile next to or under its districts. When you attach a province to a city, that outpost functions as part of the city, and contributes its yields (and pop) to the city. Also the city can construct districts adjacent to that outpost. You can even construct unique, limited districts this way; the rule is one per territory, not one per city.

Speaking of, the Joseon (Early Modern Koreans) are nuts. Their harbours adds a science yield to every coast tile within like eight spaces, and their unique district increases the yield of any tile that outputs science. The first one I put down added about 180 science to its city. I put one in a lovely 5-tile lake, and got about sixty science. Basically my output tripled in a few turns, with very little effort on my part. I guess by picking them you miss out on the Turks, and their ability which permanently disables the Stability mechanic, but still.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's not out yet.

Probably not? It feels somewhat different, because the idea of unlocking gunpowder is just more intuitive than unlocking hexium crystals or whatever, but it still feels like the same studio. All the Civ/RTS-focused LPers are putting up videos of it at the moment.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Midnight in Australia, of course

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah you want the "Sphere of Influence" section from this page:
https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Influence

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

maybe it's just my civ brain but copper and horses seem really loving rare

They're a little less rare when you take into account that trading resources doesn't actually exchange them - it produces a duplicate for the purchaser.
My first game's going alright. I went Harappan, to take full advantage of these great river-valleys around my start, then Mayan, to get big production. I managed to take a bunch of land from the Persians - do not underestimate Immortals, by the way, I just barely beat them with ranged spam - and went Teutonic just in time to get a bunch of expansion stars. Teutonic pairs really nicely with a dominant religion. I'm now desparately searching for the new world so I can get some more expansion done before the Early Modern.

I find, as with the beta, that there's a lot of infrastructure that provides pretty marginal gains when compared to just making the city bigger.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ilitarist posted:

As the game evolves I discover I can't read that map. I look at the city and I can't understand which part is exploitation and which is a district. And how do you distinguish districts? Even when you build a new one and would like to see existing ones highlighted it's a mystery.

There's a button in the bottom right that highlights districts (and colours them).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It seems to me there's a tension between taking a culture that's in line with what you're already good at (i.e. my economy's taking off, I'm going to take the Dutch next era and see how far I can take this) versus taking a culture to round things out and catch up your weaknesses (i.e. maybe Siam can help me get on top of construction and get my build-times down to something reasonable).

I think I screwed up by taking Australia for the final era. Their unique district gives you crazy production, like 120 if you have 2 strats near each other, but it also causes instability and pollution, and it turns out pollution causes colossal instability. I'm teching up to the various green technologies as fast as I can, but I don't know if I'm going to make it, Magdeburg in particular is getting really pissed off.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Supposedly the number of strats on the map isn't scaling with map size correctly. My source on this is "people on reddit say so", so, grain of salt and all that. My one game has been on a small-ish map, for 4 players, and the density seemed fine to me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope they add more game start options. More world generation of course, but I also always play Civ with the turn limit off and it sucks not having that.

You can keep playing past the turn limit - you just can't win anymore.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pollution seems imbalanced. I've only gotten to that part of the game once, but in my experience, once a town got to "Low pollution", stability just disappeared. No matter how many conventional stability modifiers I stacked up, I couldn't fix it, until I rush-bought wind- and solar-power, which cut the rate down to Very Low Pollution, and made the stability nerf vanish in a turn.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just finished a game (and then played like a hundred more turns) at Civ difficulty, got blasted by two runaway AIs. The Turks are insanely good at science catchup, but the real breakthrough happened when I started getting Osmosis events at my culturally-overrun cities. I was getting bursts of 11k science from each of those cities, every 2-3 turns. Frustratingly, you need to manually check to receive that science (whereas the thing where your people ask you to change a social policy is a mandatory acknowledge, that must be repeated every turn). It feels like they didn't anticipate the player getting culturally overwhelmed; the social stuff is annoying (but not that harmful), while the science benefits are huge. As far as I can tell, if one of your cities gets turned, the people will gradually ask you to change every single policy to match the foreigners, and keep asking every now and then for every policy you refuse to change.

I kept having my oil disappear. Eventually, I was able to figure out the AI had cut off my access (but not for any of our other trades), and were asking me to change a social policy. No notification. When I said no, they shrugged and started selling me the oil again. This happened many times; whenever it occurred, any constructions I had going on that relied on oil were paused. The game didn't change to the next item in the queue, or notify me, just paused a couple cities indefinitely. Yet, there's a notification whenever a city gains or loses a population.

According to the end-game graph, the two super-AIs spent the last few eras financially underwater - one at -20k and the other below -80k. As far as I can tell, this is due to the airplane upkeep bug. They both built a shitload of planes, then a shitload of financial districts until they reached equilibrium (though neither ever made it back to positive wealth).

The pollution counter also seems to be bugged. It doesn't take into account the effects of fusion (the end-game tech which halves all pollution). It also doesn't seem to take into account any other pollution-reducers; it was reporting my pollution at about 150 per turn when the real number was more like 20.

I've been playing way too conservative with districts, trying to place them to maximise adjacency bonuses from the surrounding tiles. Relying on the exploited tiles is nice in the early-game, but once you get off the ground, the real play is giant blocks of matching districts.

I think Harappans may be OP; in both of my games, they exploded into the lead and never lost it. Of course I was the Harappans in one of those games, and it was against easy AIs, but still, looking at the graphs for this match, they had 1/2 my endgame score by the start of the Classical era.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Nomadic tribe" is the name of your faction during the Neolithic. It's a backwards way of saying that this bonus is applied to you, and not some other player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
By the way, if you want to change religion, open up the religious screen and then hit Ctrl-5. There is no other way.