Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

I believe the first screenshot above shows a battle in progress, but I have no idea what that red line is

It could be the border of a region, if they bring that over from Endless Legend.

Edit: Ah, the article says they are:

quote:

Continents are divided into “territories” defined by arbitrary borders; only one city can be settled per territory, and from that central city tile you can expand outwards with new farms, districts, wonders, and other constructions until your city is worthy of the term “metropolis”.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, I think so too. The other lines might be the region borders... Solid for an empire's borders, dotted for interior borders?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I saw an article that mentioned that you can choose not to add another culture after your starting one. It said it's effectively handicapping yourself to get a bigger fame score.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 28, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm curious how moddable it will be. I want mods adding every culture that ever existed in history.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cythereal posted:

No actual information about what any of those things do, I see.

If I had to guess...

Phoenicians: better trireme, better harbor? Or possibly an extra building - production to naval units, maybe, and/or trade stuff.

Olmecs: better slinger, culture/religious building/replacement?

Nubians: better archer, culture/religious building

Mycenaeans: better warrior, defensive building

Hittites: better chariot, defensive building

Harappans: better scout (spy? diplomat?), better farm or aqueduct or something

Egyptians: better chariot (better ranged chariot?), culture/religious building

Babylonians: better warrior, better library (or temple that also gives science?)

Assyrians: better horseman, defensive building

The fortress-type districts ("quarter" sounds like it could be the equivalent of districts in Endless Legend, rather than buildings) could also boost armies in some way . The Assyrian one could possibly reduce discontent or boost loyalty in (conquered?) cities, if that's a thing.

Flavius Aetass posted:

The Harappan civilization hasn't given us any direct evidence of having armies, etc. but their cities were walled, which isn't generally done in peaceful areas.

There's at least one interpretation that the walls might have been flood defences, IIRC.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ProfessorCirno posted:

...Hold up, the Zhou's bonus building is...Confucius?

He very specifically doesn't show up until after the Zhou collapse!

The Zhou were still around! Technically! :v:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm beginning to think that the standard tech company solution is the way to go: don't worry about developing game AI; just have some genius dude in India play the enemy for a few dollars an hour.

This will be cloud gaming 2.0

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Although i dislike the idea of war being abstracted this far, this is the best description of how it might work that I've read so far. I'd definitely like to see it attempted in a game.

Rereading that post, it honestly sounds a lot like the culture and borders system in Civ4. Gain enough culture military points, your borders expand. When next to another civ's borders, you can push it back when you gain more culture military points than the other civ (it's actually more complex than that but I don't remember the details).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^ While the idea of layering cultures over time is interesting, it's still treating those cultures as unchanging entities. It can still be a bit weird when those cultures have in fact existed for hundreds of years, with all the changes that come with that.

Clarste posted:

Still pretty feudal though.

So were lots of places in that period :shrug:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 24, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Otteauhommes, can't forget to mark the plural :eng101:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Cocaine factories seem like a odd unique building for Germany.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

really queer Christmas posted:

just like how France, Germany, and UK aren't in.

They are in, just in the era before that one.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Like, if this is modern China they're basing this on and not Maoist China, it makes sense. They have an export-driven economy, and the goods they produce are sold all around the world. Sounds merchanty to me.

Spending all the money they make as a merchant civ to rush production on a bunch of stuff also works as an approximation for all the infrastructure building China's been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deltasquid posted:

Sweden was probably just included to hit their European countries quota so it sells well in that country. They should indeed bite the bullet and just make Europe represented by the EU in the contemporary era and call it a day.

Good luck defining a EU culture.