Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Elyv posted:

the real culprit isn't EDH so much as #mtgfinance, considering that godsire is probably garbage even if you build around the theme.

If it were finance, wouldn’t the jump happen when decklists go out and not after release?

I’m a casual player just now buying upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

That tiny adventure box doesn’t leave much room for text and reminder. Hope the translators can be super concise for other languages.

On the other hand, instant adventure is a great type line.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 4, 2019

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

The adventures shown add an interesting new heuristic early in the game. You can play the creature immediately or hold the spell to get “full value”, since the ones shown are useful/castable late game.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Can I get it on a T-shirt?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Transforming the pumpkin back and forth to a carriage is great, but the juxtaposition with Turn Into a Pumpkin is odd. Are you turning actual living knights into a pumpkin? They can come back later, but you get to keep the pumpkin if you used enough blue mana.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Wurzag posted:

I guess I'm out of the loop but I dont get whatever the joke is with 350. It's no 420 that's for sure.

You can read further in the twitter thread; someone links the joke.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

to be fair there's not really anything magical about the glass coffin itself, an awake orc would probably go wtf are you doing and punch through it

Or it could stay put and snuggle the fox. CMC four or more and you’ve got better things to do.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Elyv posted:

code:
"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"
GGG
Legendary Creature - Giant Noble
Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if Yorvo's power is greater than that creature's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.
0/0
him big

Is the last clause of the translation backwards? Looks like, "Then, if the creature has power greater than Yorvo, put another +1/+1 counter." So he only gets 2 counters when you summon something big.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Is "Syr" pronounced the same as "sir"? Not sure how else to pronounce it, so I'll just be calling everyone "sir so-and-so", which just sounds like using the male form of a gendered word as the default. Not great.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Lmao that they will put shocks in those but not the commander decks that have crept up to what like 40 bucks retail?

It’s the first year of the product, they will stuff it with value and probably under print to increase demand for future installments. If successful, they will carefully ratchet down the value next year.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Memory Leak
1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.

Memory Leak
1U
Enchantment
Whenever a player casts a spell, put a bloat counter on memory leak.

Each spell costs an additional 1 to cast for each counter on memory leak.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Tired: Ban Oko.
Wired: Ban Gilded Goose.

Edit: What's in those Brawl preconstructed packs that makes them worth hunting down?

They each have a shockland in addition to arcane signet and other interesting commander cards. Faerie deck has smothering tithe. Very solid value included.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Oversized booster packs so we can brew with our oversized commanders?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

vegetables posted:

Hyping up a product as a mystery, revealing it to have something cool then taking away the cool thing the next day is certainly a creative approach to marketing :psyduck:

They are printed versions of playtest proxies. Someone will collate a printable sheet to use in cube construction. We just miss out on the experience of fun, underdeveloped cards in our drafts. Looking over the list, it needs an audience that has memorized quite a few cards.

Otherwise, it's "Reprints: The Set - We aren't even going for a theme." It could still be a great thing depending on the reprints.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Hellsau posted:

they're printing cards in new boosters with their old templating, still gonna have lots of questions and the online resources for those cards would also apply for the test cards

For complexity sake, I'd rather have to muddle through banding than to figure out what cards were in the winning deck(s) of the most recent mythic championship. I do agree that I would rather have a few wacky, fun cards than a few more foils.

edit: I just saw the card that makes damage use the stack, and now I want these.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2019

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the mystery boosters is that each slot has its own sheet of 121 cards, so they print fewer copies of filler cards for each of the more desirable cards. Magic cards have just started feeling to me. Even if I buy singles, I know someone has opened, sorted, and binned most of the bulk from several cases to get the rares and mythics I want. Sure, in reality, the filler cards in mystery boosters are just differently named junk, but it somehow feels different than having 20 glass slippers for each oko.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

The American Dream posted:

Change the sort setting to price. Reprints look fantastic. Sounds like you have a 1 in 300 chance of pulling a specific rare.

Hopefully it’ll be a $4 pack. Most likely it’ll be horizons priced at $7. I’ll stick to a release weekend draft and buy the singles I want after a couple weeks if the prices go down a bit.

Each slot pulls from a sheet with 121 possibilities. So, each card has a 1/121 chance of being in a given pack, not counting the foils, which I've read are also distinct from the other card content.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Why would a Boros land prevent you from playing combat tricks? I’d like it if it tapped end of combat.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

In his telling, he went from “going to damage” straight to his turn. He skipped the rest of his opponents turn, trying to ignore that damage assignment was obvious.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

How can there be tricks with damage assignment on a single blocker? All effects resolve before the damage is finally assigned. I know it was different in the age of damage on the stack.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 25, 2019

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

The wanderer allowed the same type of no damage combo in WAR limited. 2cmc vs 4cmc for the setup is a bit of savings, but not much to get excited about.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

fadam posted:

Is getting mad about White a meme or something now? I don't understand how much hand wringing and hysterics I've seen about it recently, it's certainly not the most well represented colour, but it's a part of powerful decks in Standard, Pioneer and Modern.

White is very weak in commander, because the lack of card draw and ramp are major obstacles.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

It's an excellent hate card for our God-Eternal dominated standard.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Hydra's Growth

Enchantment Aura

Enchant creature

When cardname enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature

At the start of your upkeep, double the numbers of +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.

Discordant Piper

Creature: Zombie Satyr

When cardname enters the battlefield, create a white 0/1 goat creature token

The piper is a death trigger

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

But the simic titan already gains three life, so there isn’t any design space left for white.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Retromancer posted:

That's an insanely parasitic design. I thought they tried to steer away from that stuff.

They happily do parasitic design in flavorful, small doses. They just try to avoid making a whole set's mechanics parasitic.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Rings a bell and flavor judge are designed to be read, not played.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Sure but it should be Mogis' Favor

Nope, since Mogis is singular, you still add apostrophe then s.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

X-wing competitive play removed intentional draws by having players roll dice to determine the winner if there would be a draw for any reason.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Has anyone spoiled the contents of the foil sheet for the store versions of the mystery boosters yet? Lots of good commander reprints already, wondering if the foils will bring us more.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

They already removed MSRP from their products. It’s already happened. It is just a question of when The Market makes the collective decision to up the price. But paper may be slowing down fast enough, we could see a jump by the end of the year.

WOTC still controls prices via the wholesale pricing, with guidance based on their direct sales via amazon. They just don’t openly advertise. Pack prices aren’t really a market thing unless there are supply issues.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would they do that when they can just do an LGBT lair if this one sells

They’re gonna put Chandra and Nissa in that one. Maybe embracing on cathartic reunion.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

bring clap emoji back clap emoji meld clap emoji

what timmy doesn't like his big dumb monster represented by an oversize single "card"

This one should take four cards, one of each rarity, and do infinity damage.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Oh, be nice people. It’s an easy mistake to make if you don’t view the problem correctly (looking at last die or listing all possibilities). Just give an explanation to the person who needs it. No need to act smug

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Balon posted:

Have they spoiled all the Mystery Booster reprints yet?

Not the foils yet. There will be a twitch draft at 2pm pacific time that will show off some of the foils

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

Double-dipping into reprint equity and thereby destroying the "value" of the product you just sold to EDH suckers a month ago seems extremely WotC, my friend.

It’s great. Unless there’s a surprise shortage, a lot of cards are going to take a big drop.

Also, don’t discount alternate art. Cat bundle has high singles prices despite cheap originals.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Framboise posted:

Absolutely this. If it's for a multiplayer format, print the cards into oblivion. Also do enemy cycle.

Enemy cycle probably in the new commander draft set. They absolutely should be in precons though.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Does the amount of packaging compare favorably to them printing a new set of Trash Masters -- Draftable Chaff w/ Fetchlands?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

My friends and I spent our evening delighted at the cool cards we got and happy how much they all dropped in price. This set is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Where is divine visitation played? It's one of the top priced cards in GRN.