Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

little munchkin posted:

arena decklists (formerly the GAM podcast) is the best constructed podcast by a mile

I have to respectfully disagree and say it is MTG Grindcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

araeris posted:

The old thread title change was so bad we had to leave?

Anyways, might be good to have a note on sleeves in the OP as questions about those pop up often enough:

Best Sleeves as of Summer 2019 (make sure to buy "Standard" and not "Japanese" sizes):
Ultimate Guard Katana
Dragon Shield Matte

Dragon shield classic for life!!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

quote:

Of all the criteria we set, bullet point #3 was probably the trickiest to navigate. We want to ensure that players new to Magic can still learn the ropes and start their collection through Standard and Draft as the primary methods of play, with Historic available to seasoned players looking to explore more of Magic's rich history. But we also needed to look at the long-term impact Historic would have on MTG Arena as a whole, as we move toward supporting it as a true non-rotating format.

It's a difficult problem to tackle, but to do so, we're changing how Wildcards work for Historic cards. Starting after an update in November, crafting a Historic card will require you to redeem two Wildcards of the appropriate rarity instead of one. If a Historic card also appears in a current Standard set, players will be able to redeem one Wildcard for one copy of the Standard version, however, the Historic version will still require two.

To give players some lead time on the transition, we're not going to make this change until November, giving players time to craft any Historic cards at the current 1:1 rate.

WOOOOOOOOOOOW screw this.

"THE HISTORIC VERSION"??? Are you KIDDING me?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's this. I've made about 2000 tix since the London Mulligan was reimplemented on MTGO on July 2nd. If I were to have played Arena, I wouldn't have a cash-out option, and I likely would have had to buy a couple hundred bucks in packs since I hate bot drafts and my Arena account hasn't seen use since just after WAR came out.

Is this all still through pauper grinding? That's insane.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Voyager I posted:

*Casts Surgical Extraction targeting Tarmogoyf*

Have literally had this happen to me

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lol spirits being considered a good deck

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Aranan posted:

The thing that helped me with card organization the most was realizing that it was more of a chore to hoard than to let go. I didn't need a bookshelf full of 800ct longboxes full of uncommons and commons just in case one of them spiked in price. Same for bulk rares. They just take up space. In the best case, I find out a $0.25 card is now worth $10 and is something I later want for a deck (which is honestly pretty uncommon). So.. I'm out a few bucks. In practice, I find I'm usually just buying singles for edh or pauper and getting rid of anything that's not an actual deckbuilding staple. It saves so much room, makes cleaning and sorting easier, and I don't miss the piles of bulk at all.

I throw away all commons. This is not a lie. Bulk is literal trash and should be removed from your mental baggage.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Price bodes well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Straight up rude card

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Best post in this thread yet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Kanister is playing the Modern challenge with PO Urza. It's pretty sweet. If only his music was too.

My friend, a deeply Polish person, maintains that Polish people have essentially zero cultural taste. Watching Sodek or Kanister stream proves that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

moush posted:

Ah yes let's be racist because some twitch streamer likes gachi and anime music.

I'm ok with it

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have about 1200 modern cards sleeved in the same dragon shield classics and there is no visible difference in any of them. And I've bought them over 3 years or more.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Retromancer posted:

randomly cracked a pack of MH and pulled a hogaak. Feels bad.

Desleeving my never-cast hogaaks (that I preordered as a potential 2 of in dredge) and two playsets of looting was a sad day.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I 100% thought Elspeth was blonde.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Gonna love when maindecking Ouphe instead of Ooze is the new secret tech in Jund.

Whir for Glass Casket.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sampatrick posted:

the deck doesnt play whir for invention

Yes but whirza can tho

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This standard is absurd and I don't really care for it. HTH

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just went to Walmart to get all 4 Brawl decks what is wrong with me

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

How did it feel buying them for 16 a pop as opposed to the supposed """"MSRP""" of 39.99.

$21, sadly.

Felt fine. Feels lame to spec I guess. But maybe I should play them?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

I can't even find the Magic cards at my local Walmart anymore. All of the card games got moved around. They were in toys and the Pokémon cards are with the other Pokémon toys now. I haven't found where Magic product go moved to and it's not at the front of the store either.

My walmart is trash, as is expected, and their magic section was dilapidated for months. Today they had some Brawl decks and a hundred+ Eldraine packs and Eldraine Theme packs. WHO KNOWS?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

Fellas, are these Once Upon a Times gonna go down in price or just dramatically go up now that a lot of standard decks are slow, partially green, piles?

"Fellas"... c'mon

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

We've had Ross on The Dive Down twice, and his magic brain is second to none IMO. But his Twitter is definitely a beware zone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If you don't worry about modern as a way to demonstrate your ability to win 66% of your matches against another human being, and instead as a great way to enjoy most everything else about magic, you're ok.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sam Black just stated "there's a greater than 50% chance Oko is the most powerful planeswalker ever printed" so... There's that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time posted:

Modern is worse now than it was pre horizons

I know the top8 alone is a bad metric, but the tournament has 7 pretty drat different decks represented.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time posted:

I meant from a fun deck perspective

Oh sorry this is modern

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There WILL be a MH2, I'd wager early 2021 at the latest. It was mentioned by name by suits at the last Hasbro earnings talks. It's not a great thing, but at least gives modern content creators something to work with.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone see top8s or other data from various regionals yet?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rumors are circulating around about a new format called Pioneer. RTR-on.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

little munchkin posted:

i too have a lot of questions about this new format that only exists in some guys clickbait youtube video

I heard info about it from 2 people in different circles who have more interesting connections than I do, before that video was made. It's definitely (probably) real. I don't care about being first to mention it here, because I heard about it from other people myself. I only want to save my magic associates here some cash if they wanna grab some cards a little early.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

moush posted:

Is there any actual information in the leak besides it just being a new name for a format? Why is there speculation that it's another version of Frontier?

Frontier wasn't made by WOTC.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-pioneer-format-2019-10-21?c

Pioneer is real. The fetches are pre-banned.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

isn't this eventually going to run into the same problems as modern? is the idea to create a new classic format every decade+?

This isn't exactly that dramatic of an idea, IMO.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oko is over $65 btw

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

They don't because they're busy slamming 4 CoCo instead.

Which also sucks but for different reasons.

(Bant Coco really good guys)

You have mentioned this a few times I think, do you have a pioneer list you like or just thinking it's going to be great?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cactrot posted:

It's kinda hilarious how different the reaction to Pioneer and Frontier has been.

Obviously this is in part because one is an actual format with tournament support and not a grift to sell unused copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Frontier was never like actually announced by WOTC. Frontier was essentially a (large) LGS saying "we have this idea for a format!" and Pioneer is an immediate high-level tournament format with hard and fast rules and a WOTC track record of keeping formats in relative check through official banlists. Stands to reason, to me, that people would bite hard onto the concept.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just realized that not only does a new format like Pioneer give WOTC new reprint equity to cash in on via Masters-style products, it also increases the demand on their newly printed Standard cards. Many of them will be good enough for Pioneer but not for Modern, increasing immediate demand that formerly would have relied only on Standard players.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1187079434391736321?s=19

For those curious if people care about Pioneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

IMO there are 3 cards that are conceivably bannable if behind the scenes on mtgo the decks that leverage them have 60% winrates. I sincerely hope they don't ban anything yet.

Nykthos
Dig/Cruise
Rai/Felidar

The end.