Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What happened to that whole proroguing thing? How did Limey Trump go from getting what was supposedly a linchpin to No Deal Brexit Apocalypse to utterly burning down his majority in less than a week?

54 is what you get if you multiply six by nine, and in 54 BC Julius Caesar bashed a bunch of Britons' heads in during the first EU invasion of Glorious England.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

Prorogation is still on the cards as far as I'm aware but it doesn't kick in yet. It's possible Parliament will legislate to extend A50 again or topple the government before it does.

E: Or he might actually lose the court case in Scotland at this loving rate who knows lol.

So Parliament essentially works by the same rules as Calvinball? I think I always knew this philosophically but it's a helluva thing to witness IRL.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

You're basically seeing a system that predates the US notion of divided government so no one part of it can really do things.

I mean, we specifically wrote things like checks and balances into the Constitution to prevent clowns like Trump from taking power and doing Trump things but, whoops, we forgot to make sure they actually worked so more fool us, really.

EDIT: I know I've said this before but despite spending eight years living in the UK y'all still manage to baffle and confuse me on the regular.

Also I'm really drat thirsty for a pint of bitter but they don't sell the good stuff here outside specialty stores.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 4, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was thinking specifically of the Electoral College, which was installed specifically to keep the wrong class of people traitorous drooling imbeciles out of the Presidency. Except, oops, it didn't, because after two centuries nobody thought we needed it for that purpose any more.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

That's a communist party publication, so coin flip as to whether they're deranged trots or not.

I think these guys are the CPB, which IIRC are the deranged Marxist-Leninists.

EDIT: OK, I don't actually know if they're deranged, but given that they're still pushing a near-term Lexit as a good idea I'm just going to assume they are.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 4, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember what the malfunction of the various UK communist parties is to be completely honest.

IIRC the major British communist party was essentially run by Moscow, and when the Soviet Union collapsed so did they because they didn't have much in the way of original native leadership.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barry Foster posted:

Dennis Skinner, I believe

I unaccountably had never heard of him before. He owns.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wonder if "Not a good start, Boris" is going to be the next "Speak for England, Arthur".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Finally found some bitter in my neighborhood liquor store but it's Boddies which pisses me off because it's brewed in loving Luton now and the gorgeous old brewery got demolished.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've actually met one of the Labour Lords. He wasn't a Lord yet when we met, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What exactly is the Queen "allowed" to do in profound parliamentary crises like this? I get that the role of the monarchy is basically ceremonial and there'd be Deep poo poo if ever a monarch tried to actually involve themselves in parliamentary business, but is there any room for them to privately suggest "I know I'm not supposed to interfere but this is bullshit please sort it out for the good of the country"?

Like, didn't George V do something along those lines in 1909-10 by telling the Tories if they didn't vote to strip powers from the House of Lords he'd ennoble enough random Liberals to allow Lloyd George to pass his People's Budget so shut the gently caress up and die in the dark already?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sean10mm posted:

Is KFC better in the UK than the US?

Because in the US KFC hasn't risen to the level of "edible fast food chicken" since the 1980s or something.

It was when I lived there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oscarthewilde posted:

There's really not that many American fast food brands in Europe. I mean, you have the usual suspects -KFC, McDonalds, Burger King- and the pizza's -Domino's and Papa Johns for some weird reason- but that's it, at least here in Holland. The only other one I can think of is Five Guys, which is overpriced and quite disgusting if you ask me.

There's like three Taco Bells in Britain and one of the them is (was?) in the Manchester Arndale food court. Unfortunately they don't serve the insane sorts of things you get from American Taco Bells which are IMO the entire reason to eat at a Taco Bell and not at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place run by undocumented immigrants.

The UK just can't do Mexican food. There's a place called Wahaca, for poo poo's sake. It's spelled Oaxaca, pendejos.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miftan posted:

UK's got good Burrito places.

Oh honey no. I know you mean well but don't ever say this to a Californian who lives ten miles from the border.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miftan posted:

:shrug: It might not be as nice, but it's not toilet food like Chipotle or McD's

Barburrito is fine for what it is: a vague simulacrum of Mexican food. That doesn't make it a good burrito. I imagine you could get Nigella Lawson to make you a kebab but it won't be the real thing either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean the thing is, people love to hate on Taco Bell but nobody who goes there thinks it's some kind of authentic Mexican cuisine. We go because it's 3am, we're broke, and we're high.

Exactly. I buy Taco Bell occasionally because I want the experience of eating vaguely spiced ground beef in a shell that's been dusted with the stuff they put on Doritos chips. If I want actual tacos I go to one of the thousand or so Mexican restaurants within 5 miles of my home.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gorn Myson posted:

We don't need Mexican food, we have Indian food.

In California we have both.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I just don't want anyone to miss the phrase "cool like fonzies".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Most of the available space in my home is taken up by books.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, not exactly. Tanks at the time were divided into light, medium, and heavy machines (although British latewar cruisers were really medium-lights, big tanks with big guns, big engines, and zero armour). There were some fairly good medium tanks out there, like the T-34 and later the Panther, but they didn't have the firepower or survivability of true heavies, and even the lightest, fastest heavies like the Russian IS were still slow, lumbering beasts. That was what true main battle tanks like the Centurion brought to the table - proper heavy tank firepower on something that could actually climb hills and turn corners. It was great at everything, not merely OK at everything like a midwar medium.

The Panther wasn't a good medium tank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Failed Imagineer posted:

:fap:

Also, file this under " I saw this so you now have to"

This post is violence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So is there a minimum number of MPs needed for parliament to be in session, or could Bercow and a couple blokes from the London constituencies theoretically pass legislation while everyone else was stuck in transit?

And before I forget: :lol:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hey Dr. Fruitbat and mancgoonians in general, I'm about to move to Manchester. Is it a terrible idea to consider buying a house (guillotines aside) in between swinton and salford if it's all I can afford? I'd be cycle commuting to the uni and it looks doable but traffic sounds a bit poo poo.

Which university?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah that's me being dumb. University of Manchester.

Cheers, I saw there's good bus links- still looked like a 40m commute by bus though, as I'd need to change in the center or walk it. The cycle lanes looked good but as I've not ridden there I wasn't sure how well connected they are.

Never bicycled in Manchester but when I was a grad student at Salford it was always a pain to visit Manchester University's library (they had books I needed to read) because of bus change nonsense. That was a decade ago so it might be better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still, better than crispchat

Worcestershire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is probably not kind to say but I think Bozo was attracted to that Arcuri woman because she looks alarmingly like him with a better haircut.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

Just imagine how he fucks

Mods?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rory Stewart looks like one of the reanimated corpses from Lifeforce.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Compared to whom?

Most of the world, actually.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Isn't that good?

It would be except they're simultaneously underfunded and stretched ridiculously thin for the jobs they're expected to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:lol: that Brenda wants to throw Boris in the Tower or whatever HM is technically supposed to be allowed to do to PMs but can't