Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Slightly left field but Stephen Rea as Vetinari.

I also read this whole thread, slow work week. Don't AMA though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Brewdog aggressively purchase real estate and shove in their own lovely bars. My partner and I often go on long walks around London just to explore - we'll come across a bar we used to like drinking in only to find its now a brewdog. I hate their smarmy ad campaigns too, 'advert on a bus' haha how clever of you. I guess the beers a step up from carlsberg or whatever but there's a million other UK beers that are better. Beavertown can go gently caress themselves too.

I'll have a quarter pounder please

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the deal with beavertown, i assumed there would be something lovely about them eventually but i never bothered to go digging

I guess nothing too horrible, just still marketing themselves as a quirky craft brewery that only cares about quality. Heineken bought an undisclosed portion of their company so they could build a huge new building, they often contract brewed in Belgium when they couldn't keep up with demand, stopped supplying the distributors that made them big in the first place so they could prioritise selling to the supermarket chains.

Like I don't mind if you wanna go big and make money but don't pretend you're some little guy slugging it out with the German consortiums any more in the name of good beer. Plus neck oil tastes like old piss

I have Opinions On Beer

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

suck my woke dick posted:

i'm the beer without borders sign on a lovely pallet fence

also did they cheap out and use CHEP pallets which are already blue? if so you can annoy the local brewdog manager by siccing the world's scariest pallet company on them :lol:

Nah they're not chep, they look like those cheap flimsy pieces of poo poo that can't hold a stack of toilet paper without snapping. chep make some sturdy stuff

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Skarsnik posted:

The new punk AF is pretty good, we've been selling poo poo loads of it

Brooklyn special effects too for another alcohol free option

(i don't work for BD or Brooklyn just stock their beer)

Hah we don't work for the same company do we, distributor based outside Leeds?

I sometimes go for alcfree stuff if I'm hammered but my mates are still going and I still want to drink beer. Low abv stuff is good too, table/small beers that hang around 2.5-3.5% is good if you're starting early on a sunny day

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I could actually do with some low abv beers for a house party this weekend, what's the UKMT recommendation?

The absolute best low abv beer is Kernel Brewery table beer. Usually clocks in around 3%

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Diet Crack posted:

Lager is the most disgusting type of beer, ama

What's it like being wrong all the time

For reals tho I used to be 'meh' about lager until I got turned on to the quality german stuff

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Sometimes lidl has guiness crisps, they're absolutely bangin but also real strong so its sometimes a struggle to finish the bag

Not that I often put away entire bags of crisps by myself gosh no siree

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

OwlFancier posted:

in order to deter you from being able to immigrate.

This was my experience with UKBA. Took me ages to figure out which form I was supposed to be using. Form is full of questions they don't actually need to ask, hugely complicated and takes 6 months to process. I was nearly a bloody immigration lawyer by the end of it.

People hear I'm from new zealand and assume I got in easy, I always let them know nothing could be farther from the truth, and comparatively I probably did have an easier experience than many others.

By the way if anyone needs a few pointers or whatever I'd be happy to help. Maybe not here tho, it'd be a bit of a derail, an A/T thread perhaps?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Private Speech posted:

e: I rather hate the word 'expat' too. The contemporary meaning appears to be "not a migrant parasite unlike those filthy lot from poor countries". Incidentally I got called an expat in Malaysia (they don't seem to particularly distinguish between eastern and western euros) and a migrant in the UK despite having pretty much the same job in both places.

Oh man this reminds me of a story my mum was telling me: I've been in the UK for idk, 7-8 years. She bumped into an old school friend of mine (I grew up in a village, everyone knows each other) who's now running for mayor. He asked mum how I was getting on:

'dingos fine, been living in London for a long time now'

'Oh really? How's he handling all the immigrants there?'

'He is an immigrant'

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Speaking of, have the London parakeets been banging like crazy this past year or something. I see/hear them all the time now, particularly round London fields. Never used to see them round hackney

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Adam Buxton had Curtis on his podcast, its a really good listen. Its not really that funny like when he interviews actors/comedians but still one of my favourites.

The grand narrative is mentioned and Curtis answers that of course he's trying to sell a narrative, all journalism is. He also had a lot of discussion about the rise of the individual and how this hurts the left: since everyone is making their 'own story', this leaves little room for the kind of anonymous sacrifice and struggle involved in bringing about change on a large scale. I'd recommend.

Link if you want it: http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ep44-adam-curtis

el dingo fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I wouldn't think you'd need to write/read an entire book on how to not be racist, you just gotta yknow, not be racist