Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I was offline for a whole weekend pratting around in a field hitting people with foam swords, it was delightful.

How hosed are we now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

radmonger posted:

Less than if you had been using real swords, but more than if you had been using wooden ones.

:vince:

Perfect.

E: JFC that's a horrible snipe:

10 is roughly the number out of ten for how hosed we all are right now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ageless and immortal? It loving sure feels like it at this stage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Step one is building a computer that can survive being smashed up by men with guns.

This is step one for human governments as well, though, and they seem to have managed so far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yo who is going to a protest this evening?

I've just finished a nice sign comparing Johnson and Trump to Hitler.

It's dry wipe I plan to change it to something comparing prorogation to striking.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Miftan posted:

Really any speaker who doesn't compel MPs to ACTUALLY ANSWER the question they get is useless. Jesus christ, what's even the point of asking questions if nobody ever answers them?

To allow grandstanding obvs

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Only 2 Lab Noes?

That is pretty good. I know it will be Hoey, but who do you think the other one is?
John Mann.

They list them under the table.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm still pretty dubious that we can get a GE through. But we might get another short delay request maybe?

Anyone know if the EU is likely to tell us to go gently caress ourselves if we do?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Kevin Barron & Derek Twigg both abstained (as did former Labour MPs Woodcock, Williamson, O'Mara & Hopkins)

Also Ian Austin.

Ratjaculation posted:

Out of interest, is JC in a league of his own for winning the most defeats against the Government whilst in opposition?

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone else has inflicted this many defeats, and certainly this is the first time in more than 120 years that a first bill has been defeated if that post from probably 3 pages back is right.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

I'm about eight pages behind so if this has been posted already I apologise

It bears reposting, it's the best edit of that image so far.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd grumble about how he's getting interviewed and not, like, Abbott or McDonnell, but it's the BBC of course they're interviewing the rightwing backbencher and not the leadership.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's probably worth noting that the annual budget of my (admittedly the largest) local wildlife trust is about 6 million. There are 46, and they're a drop in the bucket of the various environmental protection charities, the RSPB alone is bigger than all of them IIRC.

They just seem to be making up numbers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I had to go to sleep at like 1030 last night, did anything Actually Happen overnight? Or was it just standard parliamentary nonsense?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah nobody else wanted it so you're Prime Minister now, you have to explain how you're going to fix Brexit in 10 minutes.

Revoke article 50 and guillotine all the billionaires.

What do I win?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

God I want Corbyn to just accept the blouse, put it on, and turn up to Parliament in it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

every day i think back with regret...

if only we had chosen owen j....

owen smith....?

Imagine if we had chosen owen JONES tho

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Soap chat.
My mum watched the three big ones (Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale) religiously for decades.
Now she has given these up for........Turkish and Mexican ones.
Netflix has put on a few complete soap series up around the world, and they are really entertaining.
They are bizarre though, they love the dramatic ending cliffhanger every episode but everything is fine the next day.
For example one main character 'dies' on a hospital bed, everything sad. Next episode, opening scene is him walking into the house all healed.
Better than junkie cockneys and sour faced northerners.

Put her onto Jane the Virgin, it's an excellent confluence of the US and Mexican/telenovela soap styles, and being made by a lot of Latinx people , it has some pretty solid lefty politics thrown in from time to time if that's helpful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gasmask posted:

https://twitter.com/spconnolly/status/1169554644261134336

just lol if brexit makes sinn fein take their seats for the first time since *checks notes* ever

Hoooooooooly poo poo enormous if true.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Oh god, if Johnson resigns the premiership within a week of parliament opening without having ever won a vote it'll be remembered for centuries. :getin:

This would be just the best thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

in remarkable news some idiot fuckers have decided they want to give me a full time job

and now i can finally fuckin move out

it's been a while since i've done this so what do i need to know, i'm looking around south london primarily as the job's based in tooting

You will need several thousand pounds a month and a willingness to live in somebody's bottom drawer into which they've haphazardly plumbed a toilet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vlex posted:

Feel like we need a UKMT roll-call of people working in and around academia, there are more of us than I first thought.

Have previously done various brands of academic admin, I suspect sadly, that I will have to go back to it at some point fairly soon.

I loving hated it, but the pay was not awful and it's the biggest and most reliable local employer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Regards online doctors stuff- I signed up for it when the reception team were better but now every function on it is broken apart from being able to request repeat prescriptions- I think I'm just going to change surgery

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1169652168581947392?s=19

The battle between brain worms and brain spiders has reached thrilling heights

Did... he literally do a speech in front of a collapsing police force?

This is a step up from May's disintegrating sign and a bad cough.

E: 5 August 1925, 94 years ago, Plaid Cymru was founded.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Of course. He's a naked opportunist. Once he saw that the opportunity was there for him to get into power on an insular, xenophobic Leave-at-any-cost platform, he grabbed it with both hands. Who even knows what his actual opinion on the EU is - I doubt he even does himself.

If he cares at all, he only cares in that he can earn money off the firesale of british assets and/or hide his tax dealings somehow.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

But ... WHY is this being delivered to the House of Commons? A place where nobody will change their mind and probably won't even find this poo poo funny. What a waste of time and effort.

It's a dumb stunt anyway, but at least do this poo poo in a marginal constituency with a couple of Tory volunteers handing it out to randos.

Because they know they don't need to persuade the voters, they just need to persuade the press.

Or at least, they think that, anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gasmask posted:

jfc it isn't even fried

It's probably just a dish of whatever chicken they could get subsidised from the Parliament staff canteen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

Big respect to them!

Hahahahahahaha they really loving think they're this, don't they.

I wonder if they remember what happened to literally loving every Rebel on that poster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Labour should surely want as many head to heads as possible because every one is a chance for corbyn to just announce policies on national TV and control the conversation?

Yeah, I'd fully expect them to just say 'sure' because any chance to get Corbyn actually talking policy in front of a national audience is just votes in the bag.

E: 119 years ago in 1900, the first Pan-African Conference is held.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 7, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I just realised that even in a fairly best case Labour government scenario (with NOM since an actual majority would require the LDs to go back to getting no votes) there's going to probably be at least one brexit party MP who's going to be on every single politics program on the BBC for the rest of time :negative:

And then become Prime Minister and start running concentration camps, if Years and Years is to be believed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I was explaining the latest hilarious developments in the Brexit farce, but it occurred to me as I was explaining it that these politicians keep running everything into the ground for fear of losing their jobs. But everyone who has tried to Brexit has lost their job! So what the hell?

In a lot of cases, particularly all the various cowards, traitors, quitters, etc, they know they can't stand up to an actual election, so it really doesn't matter what they do as long as it doesn't trigger an election, so they can gently caress up as royally as they want as long as it's in the service of them not getting handed their arses by people they thought cared who they were, instead of what rosette they wore.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This doesn't seem to appear in her feed?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerv posted:

photoshopper's hosed up the 9 in 2019

I can tell by some of the pixels

I'm both pleased that I thoguht to check before commenting, and horrified that I thought for a moment it could be entirely real in this political climate.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's not as simple as 'I rent to someone else so I can pay rent myself due to my itinerant lifestyle' because a: presumably that job pays you enough money that you can afford to pay rent ANYWAY, so, why are you sponging off your tenants? And b: your tenants are funding your property's price increases so you don't have to.

You're not going to find much sympathy for landlords ITT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

freddiestarfish posted:

My landlord owns 2 houses and rents me the second at a fraction of the market rate. I currently don't earn enough to pay a mortgage so can use this cheap house to save up. Is he bad?

He's probably less bad than the average landlord, but he's still bad.

To wit:

Why, after you pay him significant amounts of money to live there, do you continue not to own the house, and he pockets the cash?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

freddiestarfish posted:

I could either get a mortgage I can't physically afford, or rent a house at twice the price.
He could sell the house to someone who can afford a mortgage, or what? Give it away, or my rent slowly buys it off him?

Ideally we'd all love a free house but on a personal level how could he do better realistically as buying a house off him slowly in rent wouldn't work as I'll only be here for a fraction of the time it would take to pay off the house.
Hate the system, not ones trying to do a little better.

He could put you on a rent to buy arrangement, or just give it to you outright, or sell it to you for a cheap enough rate that you could afford a mortgage.

WHy does he get to do a little better, when you don't? He has no need for a second house, you have need for a first. Why the inequality?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, commercial landlords are one of the reasons we don't have independent businesses any more, because they charge such exorbitant rates that only fellow exploitative shitbags can afford them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is pretty obviously written to be 'leaked'. Nobody talks like that IRL.

MPs don't live IRL.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly 'sent thousands of harrassing texts' is probably a step up in reputation for most Tory MPs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Private Speech posted:

This article title made me sigh inwardly:

BBC News - Refugees fleeing Syria to UK: 'I've got a mortgage, a house, a car - we're not trouble'

It's like they don't understand that gammons will see that headline as 'I've stolen a house and a car from you lot and am living it large on benefits'. Orr less charitably that's precisely why they put that quote into the headline. FFS BBC

e: I also like how it celebrates that "more than" only 17 loving thousand syrian refugees settled in the UK. That's, uhh, very impressive, great job settling only such a tiny fraction in the second most populous EU country. Definitely a welcoming place.

They absolutely know and are intending on the reaction of gammons to that headline.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not all politics is reality TV but all of BoJo's is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Comedy timeline: Parliament returns after prorogation, immediately has Johnson arrested, Corbyn goes to EU for extension on the promise of an election, tories too busy scrambling for a new leader while Johnson sits in jail, party crashes into the loving ground.

:allears: I want to believe.