Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RockyB posted:

A bit dated now, but one of the most compelling explanations for this remains the monkeysphere / Dunbar number:

https://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

If you kill one man it's murder, kill 100,000 with austerity and it's a statistic etc.
The cracked monkeysphere article should be required reading, it's probably the best thing they've ever written just before the site began its decline into clickbait hell.

David Wong wrote some fantastic stuff though, especially 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable.

Also just about to pop the podcast on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Podcast content was good, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Could use some extra editing, like getting everyone to sync the start of recording with a set tone, which makes it easier to line up (one person seemed to be delayed a bit judging by the delay between their jokes and the laughter), and the volume was spiking hard one one person's audio, so could have done with some high end clipping.

But the content itself was good and enjoyable and I was genuinely laughing along with it. A++ cast would pod again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So operation pisshammer docs have apparently revealed which medicines will run out first:

https://twitter.com/J_amesp/status/1168019869125750784?s=19

It's behind a paywall but people in the comments are naming epilepsy, schizophrenia and COPD drugs, which... gently caress.

E: non paywall link: https://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit/99058/pharmacists-warn-of-shortages-of-commonly-prescribed-drugs

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 1, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Namtab posted:

Boris' strategy, such as it is, involves playing chicken with the eu while pretending that its outside forces (remainers, the eu etc) stopping him getting a good deal (a good deal being the eu giving us everything we want).
It's been pointed out a lot that Boris' entire career has been one of lying about how bad the EU is in exchange for columnist money. Before the referendum he was gleefully flinging his usual bullshit around, and then all of a sudden after Leave won, there were plenty of images of him looking somber and refusing to capitalise on what should have been a victory.

I think BoJo and plenty of people like him were riding the gravy train of Euroskepticism never expecting to actually have to do anything about it. And then all of a sudden it worked, and they found themselves in a position of having to actually provide concrete solutions to all of the problems they'd been giddily throwing around.

Honestly Boris being PM is like putting a random redditor in charge of EA simply because they had the most upvotes complaining about it. If you actually put them in charge of the megacorp it'd become obvious that they wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do, and would immediately start issuing bizarre half-thought out crowd pleasers like banning female protagonists and microtransactions. Then after 6 months when the financial reports come in and the knock-on effects of the apparently simple solutions make themselves known, everyone will hate them.

That's why reading Boris as some master manipulator playing the clown is giving him a little too much credit. Yes he is being disingenuous and yes he is definitely playing up the bumbling image. But beneath that there is no great plan. He is a greedy shitbag who is trashing the EU on autopilot because his brain is too trashed with age to change course from euroskepticism, because it's all he's ever known to capitalise on. He's a bully and a control freak which means he's not listening to some machiavellian genius pulling everyone's strings.

Boris Johnson is entirely out for himself, and the only thing that makes sense at this point is that he's clawing at all the directorships and shares being offered to him by all of the companies that will benefit from the fire sale of UK infrastructure following NDB. This is not an ideological push. This is a party who glorify selfishness and looking out for number one acting all surprised because a succession of selfish bastards got in charge and then looked out for number one.

To use the podcast's analogy, it's like Boris decided to play chicken with the EU, realised the EU was more like one of those russian military trains, and so decided to broadside the train because that's the best chance of damaging it instead of looking at it that in any situation where we play chicken with the train we are going to get loving destroyed.

And I swear that's not an AI post.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

I realize I am alone on this but I don't think I could handle four day work weeks. There would be a lot more pressure to be productive in the shorter time and I am already bored enough on weekends.
I think though this is more a problem of the reality of the capitalist hell we live in rather than the policy itself. Like the intent behind it is clearly to give people a chance to not work themselves into oblivion, give people more time to do their own thing.

But one one side you have bosses going "How can we make our employees do all this work in less time," and on the other people going "Well what if I want to work a 60 hour week Jeremy :colbert:. "

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vlex posted:

I guess the real question is, though, would the LDs genuinely go into coalition with a No-deal Tory government?
I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We regret to announce that the dog is racist against cats.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

That dog is gonna be tossed under the nearest car if the polls are really tight two days before the election.
Pretty sure this is somewhere on Dom Cummies list of Thinking the Unthinkable tactics.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ed Vaisey has no loving spine and will do whatever the party tells him to. Although it's possible that the schism in the party is so bad that he is now uncertain which half to back, because he can't work out who'll be paying his cheques when the dust settles.

Source: is local mp and turd.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Beat me to it (though I don’t think it’s a stupid assumption, just not a thought-through one). There’s a reason every successful anti-corruption drive in history has involved raising government salaries.

Basically, don’t give people power and then make them dependent on abusing that power to have nice things.
Right, but MPs earn over 100k at the moment and are still corrupt as gently caress.

At least if you set the salary as (for example) 1.5x the modal average income for the country they rule, there'd be incentive for them to improve the economy and also hack down billionaire incomes without it loving them up too much.

There are potential flaws sure, but for fucks sake it's better than what we currently have.

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving did. I believe I mentioned several times how one time I even explicitly told her about how I believe the world is irreversably hosed, society will collapse and I am just waiting for every one who cares about me to die so I can kill myself and she merely looked at me blank faced and asked "In that case, why are you even in therapy?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's interesting because this sums up the absolute sham our consitutional foundation is. The entire process is underpinned by gentlemens agreements, and all it takes to break it is a shameless manbaby basically saying 'No I'm not going to do what the mandated representatives of the people say, because they're not allowed to tell the queen what to do, even though i'm not the queen."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.
You need to be open with your feelings with your counsellor. Completely open. Even the unpleasant stuff.

You sound like you had a similar problem to me, a lifetime of trying to answer people appropriately, to the point that when a counsellor expects you to just honestly answer a question straight, you can't see it because you're so used to trying to work out the meaning behind the question and what it might reveal about you.

None of this is your fault, it's just a difference between how you talk to a counsellor and how you talk to people normally. What it reveals is usually a person in your past that you've opened up to and they've used it to hurt or belittle you. This is very common for men.

Breaking the habit of a lifetime and opening up is hard, good luck but also maybe ask to see a different counsellor - i had to try 2 or 3 before I found one I could trust.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Saros posted:

That its the end of the loving Tories because enough of their MP's discovered that there is strength in Union and the boss can't fire you all is some absolutely top shelf grade A hellworld poo poo.
I really want to make sure this idea makes it into the next podcast, it's fantastic.

It's all fantastic.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

Hahah that sounds awesome

Our government has decided to suspend all public gatherings until order is restored
Poor brenda, under armed guard to stop her preventing no deal like she wants to.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And there goes the racist vote.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So what happened with Kinnock's amendment? Like literally what was the process by which it got through, because we seem to have just skipped over an amendment to a bill entering the process of law without being voted on. Was the speaker present? None of what anyone is saying makes sense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

My parents separated when I was 7, after years of every night being an angry screaming fight. I don’t know if this is why I grew up wildly conflict avoidant or if it was even a contributing factor, but it seems to be a common thing for a lot of people.
I think the inverse can be true as well though. My parents decided to 'never have an argument' in front of me or my brothers, which extended to never disagreeing in front of us. It's left me absolutely unable to handle conflict to the extent of shutting down completely in some cases.

Barry Foster posted:

It's cathartic - it's actually good for the reasons you and bman don't like it, it shows you the absolute worst, most awkward people, and you get to laugh about how you're (hopefully) not like that.
That might be why I also hate it - I watch it feeling that I very much am like that and could very feasibly get myself into that kind of situation.

Jose posted:

I've got friends trying to tempt me into wow classic and it's getting hard to resist
do it you coward im a druid now

peanut- posted:

The FPS mechanics don't matter as the only correct solutions to all problems in Deus Ex are the prod and the GEP gun.
Nope, it's a small metal crate. I knew the guy who attempted this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

E: That's my fuckin' snipe.
Left hand side should be an anus but yes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1170008876248424448?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Isn't that a butt plug? I don't think there's anything automatically homosexual about butt plugs.
Yes, it's a butt plug.

Butt stuff can be for straight people too, and the primary metaphor is Corbyn jamming up brexit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bardeh posted:

I genuinely believe that Boris thinks he'll be able to roll up to the EU summit and do his usual bluster and bad jokes and nice guy act and then all of a sudden the EU are going to give him some amazing deal, and then he'll return home borne on the back of flying unicorns and everyone will kiss his feet and his deal will pass parliament unanimously.
Boris has spent his entire life gravitating toward being a big fish in a little pond with his Eton connections. He is so used to being the most important man in the room that now he's dealing with EU heads of state and people unconnected to his power structure, it's driven him insane. He can't concieve of not having an edge over his opponent.

That's also a great metaphor for Brexit and gammons and post-empire Britain as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

When I began my latest course of therapy that was the first thing I asked. I ended up maxing out my health insurance deductible in an extended test that claimed I am not.
First of all, Jesus Christ that's awful and I don't care if the rest of your country is used to it, your healthcare system is ridiculous.

The UK isn't great either - I was diagnosed last year at the grand old age of 39, after almost a year on a waiting list to see the charity organisation to whom the NHS have outsourced diagnosis. To their credit though they did a pretty thorough day's diagnosis going into family history, with one person asking me questions / running tests and the other observing me.

Ultimately I look at it as an answer to a question I have had my whole life. It was encapsulated by 'What the gently caress is wrong with me,' but contained such diverse branches as 'Why can I never tell when someone is interested in me, either as a friend or as more,' 'Why am I so bad at handling stress' and 'Why can't I tune out background noise.'

The few people I've trusted enough to talk about it sometimes say things like "Oh, but everyone is a bit like that on the inside." Yes, but not everybody has been unemployed for coming up on 7 years, and for most of their adult life before that. In the end it comes down to whether those issues are enough to impact the functionality of your life and in your case, it sounds like they are.

I can't offer any advice on if you are likely to have autism, because my entire condition revolves around being bad at reading people. I can however advise you to do the AQ50 test, which is a recognised test and puts your score ranging from 'this person is very unlikely to have autism' all the way up to 'it is a miracle that this person is speaking to you right now.'

You could take the results to your doctor but I have no idea how that would impact on your insurance or whatever.

AceOfFlames posted:

I do think said test was kind of suspect though. There was an entire "recognizing emotions" section which consisted of photos of a guy making the hammiest most exaggerated facial expressions ever and being asked what he was feeling. There wasn't any apparent test of social interaction either. If that was a test for autism, it would probably only pick up on the lost low functioning cases.
This is one of the unfortunate things about Asperger Syndrome Disorder getting rolled into HFA. A lot of Autism diagnoses revolve around if you're visibly struggling, whereas one of the things that used to typify ASD was that people would appear to have adapted externally, but still faced huge internal difficulties.

So the adult ASD testing allowed for people who had developed coping strategies to avoid or hide situations they found difficult, whereas now it's up front questions like 'can you look people in the eye while talking to them' and doesn't take into account answers like "I have learned that other people seem to need that to establish trust, but man I can not concentrate on anything I am thinking if I do." It seems designed for children who have not yet learned coping mechanisms to hide their difficulties.

The entire 'high functioning' label is problematic as gently caress anyway because it's anecdotally attributed to a doctor who wanted to save autistic people from nazi purges, so he invented a benchmark which was essentially 'these ones can live because they can pretend to be ok,' and they pretty much just had to keep their poo poo together in front of the nazis not to get culled.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just listened to the podcast, good stuff again. I agree that I never want this chaos ft/ Ed Milliband to end, and while I was expecting to hear the 'horse in a oval office suit' line in a scots accent it sounded just as good coming from a geordie.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You forgot Change UK (Milkist-Leninist)
Not to mention The Independant Group for Change (splitters)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Single issue remainers will definitely flock to the Lib Dems

Although I do accept the argument that they'd have never have voted for Labour anyway
What would concern me is if polling (yes I know) shows that the libs have a large enough bloc that neither the Labour or Tory parties can get a majority without them.

In that case we know that they're going to ally with the Tories (even if Labour is an option), but what really concerns me is Swinson saying "I'll ally with Labour if they boot Corbyn and install a right winger sensible, electable centrist." This could then be used to batter Corbyn as standing in the way of remain and a return to the golden days of the 2012 olympics, when the poor stayed in their lane and you never had to read about racism in the guardian.

None of this would be true in reality, but I can absolutely see the media, Libs and Tories uniting behind it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Deleter posted:

Hey, currently in Rome eating lovely food and looking at a bunch of ruins. What am I missing?
The rest of Italy, Rome is an overpriced shithole.

Go see the vatican and then spend the rest of your trip in Florence or the tuscan countryside.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just catching up.

The Deleter posted:

We're gonna see the Vatican but we wanted to see the ruins of the Romans and stuff. We're staying in an apartment above a bar so it's Peronis in the street every night before bed lol
Oh, then go to Ostia Antica, it's fuckin huge, and it's the former port by the entry of the river so you get a lot more of the living history, and more everyday life stuff.

But also get a train to Firenze, it's loving awesome.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Very long article (I have only quoted first few paragraphs) and not finished reading yet.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/09/10/extr-s10.html
But you see it is Labour who are the real fascists because Jeremy wants* brexit at any cost.

* or doesn't want
or remain
or is unwilling to commit to it

Gasmask posted:

so if they're not using the house of commons for a bit are we allowed to have meetings in there and play five a side
We should record an episode of the podcast from there, but make Alastair sit over in the SNP seats so he has to angrily yell everything to be heard.

Also Jim Sterling's new video is fairly good praxis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMKBzwSBeS8

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gasmask posted:

She’s alright. Thread doesn’t like her because she criticises the dear leader.
I was having this discussion with the wife last night. Got casually accused of being misogynist before listing the following and also mentioning Mhairi Black who also seems a good sort.

I think firstly that criticising JessFlips talking about herself only really arises as a result of already not liking her.

Secondarily there's the bullshit playing up of her working class roots, but it's possible she just downplayed it to be respected early in her career as an mp when she needed to appeal to more middle class sensibilities.

But yeah, the inescapable base dislike of her comes from her during the chicken coup, with her statements like "well I'm just a simple northern girl, but it seems to me maybe Corbyn should step down?" Like not even having the balls to criticise Corbyn directly, but just amplifying the noise that was going round.

Final nail in the coffin is her apparent admiration for / friendship with Jacob Rees-Mogg. If someone can bear to be within 600 feet of him without feeling an icy chill from their soul curdling, that should be a massive loving alarm about that person.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 10, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every Frame a Painting is a good channel and I've been watching a lot of their stuff.

Total Meatlove posted:

Man of Steel is brilliant and Snyder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.
I like the music but then I like pretty much any film score by Hans Zimmer. Man is amazing at crescendos and the 'flight' theme is a particularly good example.

I think my favourite film is probably either Inception or the Breakfast Club, for completely different reasons. Yes I am an agonising pleb.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

tom watson sucks so loving much
I saw an article earlier saying his local party is deselecting him, please say this is true.

E: this article:

https://labourheartlands.com/tom-watson-facing-trigger-ballot-deselection-meeting/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

EFAP died sadly.
Oh poo poo. There's one called Behind the Curtain that seems similar.

thespaceinvader posted:

Fingats fukken crossed.
Apparently his CLP is voting tonight to trigger the deselection process.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Carborundum posted:

It's a great movie, but it has some terrible politics, like all Nolan's films.
Funny you should mention that, I was watching a video about the Joker (Nolan / Ledger) and all of the soundbites from Nolan are basically "anarchy scares me" and I don't know if it's his accent but it really has an overall air of being horrified at the idea of disturbing the status quo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlhU6hE14A

I do want to see Interstellar though because it has Hans Zimmer's best crescendo that isn't Time from Inception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAH3VisDQpo

Also I was laughing at a bus the other day because I noticed Brad Pitt has decided to do his own Sexy Man is Alone and Sad in Space the movie.

namesake posted:

I want some sort of Rat Race scenario now where speakers and MPs are all legging it to the House.

To do what I dunno but they'll figure it out on the way.
WHY DIDN'T YOU GRAB THE MACE AND STOP BREXIT JERRIMY

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 11, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1171535732244193280?s=19

Peston looking a bit dribbly round the edges. "Labour are not going to support the position they have consistently said they'll support! I'm making noises so I can keep my 80k+ salary intact!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One thing that's come out of this is that the conventions of :decorum: and noblesse obligee that have protected the aristos for so long are being shat out of the window by de Pfeffel, Osborne and the like. And the queen is maybe now realising that just because someone is rich, doesn't mean they can be trusted.

Which sets up another interesting division in the upper classes, between the lazy 'we will always be rich so money has become meaningless' class of the nobility, and the sociopathic aspirational types who want to own all of the money so that they can wear it as a hat.

I mean from our perspective they should probably all be asset stripped and guillotined, but it just makes me wonder if the wigs at the top are going to finally loving realise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1171810127499821056?s=19

I am sure the papers will report on this fairly and without twisting it at all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know how people don't like cooking, it's such a chill way to wind down with an audiobook or something on and at the end you get a tasty meal
OR pot noodle and world of warcraft

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We've had actual wars over what the monarch does with the advice of their ministers.
That's the thing, I only did AS level law and one of the first things they ran through was how technically the monarch could say no and it's very important that they have the right to say no, but if they ever actually did holy poo poo would everything go off.

So I expect Boris to defy royal assent probably late Octoberish.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Has anyone said operation pisshammer yet :smugdon:
It's a mispronunciation of Piss Hamster, which is the kompromat Putin has on Alexandrei Borishnikov 'Boris' de Petrovich Johnson :tinfoil:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mels B and C were ok, but the forbidden prototype Mel A is still chained and howling in Simon Cowell's basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanford posted:

He says he's not seen anything about Brexit that he thinks will cause any problems and it's time to "just get on with it" so if anyone was worried about millionaires who hold a Canadian passport you can relax, they'll be fine.
"I haven't seen anything to be worried about."

"What about this leaked government report, and this NHS prediction, and all of these businesses that have already left the UK?"

"Project fear. I haven't seen anything to be worried about."

In other words he hasn't seen anything because every time he does see anything, he discounts it as project fear. It's a very elegant set of blinkers.

If you want to get into it, call out his circular reasoning and the fact that we can't stockpile insulin, no international trade deal has ever been completed in under 5 months and any insulin coming from the US would (A) be out of date by the time it was shipped here and (B) bankrupt us because of US healthcare prices. Type A diabetics (for whom the condition is genetic, so no stereotypes blaming weight here) are going to loving die because of this.

But also be aware that he is not only your boss but a millionaire, and AMAB, even the Canadian ones.