Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Let me, an out of shape kid in school, tell you how easy it was to play competitive baseball compared to other (real) sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wendigee posted:

that sounds like a loving job.... how did they gently caress up so hard in the professional sports arena?

Probably the stress and physical exertion of preparing for and playing in 162+ games a year.

Or other people hosed up and you're too far in the hole to give a poo poo. Why risk injury for a game you're going to lose anyway

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Wendigee posted:

that sounds like a loving job.... how did they gently caress up so hard in the professional sports arena?

That's how they get paid (more or less)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Wendigee posted:

Someone pointed it out in some thread a while ago, but it's been in my mind and seems true when I tune into a game: MLB players seem like the only top-tier athletes who actually recognize they're being paid exorbitant amounts of money to play a game. Say all you want about the differences in athleticism of different sports and "standing around all day," these guys legitimately look like they're having a fun day in the park most of the time - compared to the machismo and aggression in loads of other sports, these guys just slap each others' asses and eat sunflower seeds when they aren't making plays. It's hilarious.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I was being serious kind of. They make money sure, but they seem to work a hell of a lot harder than other professional sports. Granted, it isn't as intense, but it really does seem like a job with that many games!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Each baseball team plays 162 games a year, not counting spring training and the post-season.

I wonder how many people would notice if one out of 10 games they just aired an older game. Like the sports guy at the abc affiliate would know, so he’d have to be on it.

Wait is this already happening!?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nuts and Gum posted:

I wonder how many people would notice if one out of 10 games they just aired an older game. Like the sports guy at the abc affiliate would know, so he’d have to be on it.

I think you underestimate the stat nerds out there.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hard core fans would definitely notice that but it would be hilarious if they tried it.

Just memory hole down a few games a season and have a party lol

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/MyKreal/status/1551350904607186945

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Platystemon posted:

***STATEMENT FROM CHESSROBOT***

Are you kidding ??? What the gently caress are you talking about man ? You are a biggest looser i ever seen in my life ! You was doing PIPI in your pampers when i was beating players much more stronger then you! You are not proffesional, because proffesionals knew how to lose and congratulate opponents, you are like a girl crying after i beat you! Be brave, be honest to yourself and stop this trush talkings!!! Everybody know that i am very good blitz player, i can win anyone in the world in single game! And "w"esley "s"o is nobody for me, just a player who are crying every single time when loosing, ( remember what you say about Firouzja ) !!! Stop playing with my name, i deserve to have a good name during whole my chess carrier, I am Officially inviting you to OTB blitz match with the Prize fund! Both of us will invest 5000$ and winner takes it all!

I suggest all other people who's intrested in this situation, just take a look at my results in 2016 and 2017 Blitz World championships, and that should be enough... No need to listen for every crying babe, Chessrobot is always play Fair ! And if someone will continue Officially talk about me like that, we will meet in Court! God bless with true! True will never die ! Liers will kicked off...

Ah man, haven't seen the Tigran copypasta in a while.

100% the guy would break a kids finger during a match if he could.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

They did him real dirty with that mask. At least pair it with a super floofy wig or something!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Wendigee posted:

I was being serious kind of. They make money sure, but they seem to work a hell of a lot harder than other professional sports. Granted, it isn't as intense, but it really does seem like a job with that many games!

Only if you classify work only as playing regulation games. The NFL plays like 17 games a year but those weeks are still pretty packed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuts and Gum posted:

What do you think they do during rain delays?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Drink?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

HungryMedusa posted:

They did him real dirty with that mask. At least pair it with a super floofy wig or something!

lol he looks like those parodies of anonymous where the mom comes in an turns on the light because she baked cookies and anonymous is revealed to be grotesquely fat

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Suddenly 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' takes on a very unique spin. Yikes.

John Ford didn't actually want Wayne for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The studio wanted him. And Ford made Wayne suffer for it. At one point he asked Jimmy Stewart about how many bombing missions he went on while Wayne was safe at home. That got followed up with Ford asking Wayne how much money he made while Stewart was risking his life. Wayne took out his anger on Woody Strode. Ford was always a diffcult director to work with. On the set of Fort Apache, he made Shirley Temple cry. He was rough on actors but by all accounts he stepped it up for Wayne on the Liberty Valance set.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/eliistender10/status/1551132084890132482?t=GUR_44-KECYcp_e6PR6Vog&s=19

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Red Sox should play against the Cleveland Browns, at quidditch quadball.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This seems like a straight to DVD slasher.
Underground Night Worker.
He comes to cleanse the car.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Push El Burrito posted:

I think you underestimate the stat nerds out there.

I feel like the stat nerds wouldn't recognize it by the match itself, but rather would remember writing all this stuff down before and then going back through their notes.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Wendigee posted:

Half those games are going to be away games you've gotta travel for. And your contract can get picked up at almost anytime by some other team and now you gotta move out there for at least the rest of the season, which is insanely long to fit 162 games in. Ken Griffey Jr. basically had a breakdown because he got stuck out in Seattle for so long.

anyway here's jon bois talking about the sheer volume of baseball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKWMgs4HG4&t=1162s

it should start at 19:22, but the whole video is pretty good schad.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I feel so bad for these millionaires :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thomamelas posted:

John Ford didn't actually want Wayne for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The studio wanted him. And Ford made Wayne suffer for it. At one point he asked Jimmy Stewart about how many bombing missions he went on while Wayne was safe at home. That got followed up with Ford asking Wayne how much money he made while Stewart was risking his life. Wayne took out his anger on Woody Strode. Ford was always a diffcult director to work with. On the set of Fort Apache, he made Shirley Temple cry. He was rough on actors but by all accounts he stepped it up for Wayne on the Liberty Valance set.

Of loving course he did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

droll posted:

I feel so bad for these millionaires :(

The vast majority of pro-athletes are not millionaires. The top athletes make a lot of money, but the majority just make league minimums. When A-Rod was on the Yankees and they'd play the Brewers, most of the time when he was at bat he was making more money than all nine players on the field combined. Starting salary if you aren't a top draft pick for the NFL is about $250,000 dollars, average career in the NFL is 4 years. So that's a million dollars exactly if you ignore taxes and cost of living and whatever they paid their agent, and they've spent the last four years destroying body.

If you want to get righteous about the amount of money in sports get mad at the owners, the top level executives, the coaches, and literally everyone involved in the NCAA that isn't a player.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Baseball plays 162 games partially because of the insane variance in the sport

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If you intermixed clips with the Show’22 and real baseball I’d probably never notice a difference. Let’s just make it all fantasy and the real players can get fat with the rest of us.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Baseball plays 162 games partially because of the insane variance in the sport

Baseball plays 162 games because every game makes the owners money and baseball is the only sport where it's physically possible to play that many games without dying.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

The vast majority of pro-athletes are not millionaires. The top athletes make a lot of money, but the majority just make league minimums. When A-Rod was on the Yankees and they'd play the Brewers, most of the time when he was at bat he was making more money than all nine players on the field combined. Starting salary if you aren't a top draft pick for the NFL is about $250,000 dollars, average career in the NFL is 4 years. So that's a million dollars exactly if you ignore taxes and cost of living and whatever they paid their agent, and they've spent the last four years destroying body.

If you want to get righteous about the amount of money in sports get mad at the owners, the top level executives, the coaches, and literally everyone involved in the NCAA that isn't a player.

Also the Patriots owner Bob Kraft went to court for getting his dilz cranked off in an illegal brothel named "Orchids of Asia" and somehow he was lucky enough that a Judge ruled the evidence inadmissible and another judge ordered all the evidence destroyed including the evidence of all other patrons of "Orchids of Asia"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kraft#Personal_life

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BasicLich posted:

an illegal brothel named "Orchids of Asia"

“Orchid” comes from the Latin for “testicle” LOL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

“Orchid” comes from the Latin for “testicle” LOL.

Which is weird, because "testicle" is not the part of the genitalia I think of when I look at orchids.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

Which is weird, because "testicle" is not the part of the genitalia I think of when I look at orchids.

you're not seeing the bigger picture

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I lost track of baseball talk when everyone stopped talking about how juicy some guy's arse was.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

BasicLich posted:

you're not seeing the bigger picture

s-so you're telling me this is a plant with a vulva and a balls?? oh geez

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ninety‐four percent of plant species have both male and female sex organs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I lost track of baseball talk when everyone stopped talking about how juicy some guy's arse was.

Should talk about the sport, not how attractive the players are

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aramoro posted:

Shad is on us, the British public. There's a survey going out from the government about reintroducing pure imperial measurements. Don't worry, the survey is not biased.

edit: timg because jesus christ

What you have to understand about Britain's boomers is that they absolutely love to condescend to the young and have a huge superiority complex but because of this and certain views about certain groups of people in this world and because of all of these things they are incredibly lonely. Switching to imperial would give them the opportunity to hang around in grocers ready to step in and oldsplain to young people who don't know how many hogsheads of bok choi or whatever the gently caress they need and is as such very popular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

What you have to understand about Britain's boomers is that they absolutely love to condescend to the young and have a huge superiority complex but because of this and certain views about certain groups of people in this world and because of all of these things they are incredibly lonely. Switching to imperial would give them the opportunity to hang around in grocers ready to step in and oldsplain to young people who don't know how many hogsheads of bok choi or whatever the gently caress they need and is as such very popular.

Yeah, but they're gonna be wrong about it. Americans don't understand it and it's the only system we've ever had. No one knows off hand how big a gallon is compared to a pint, and while I don't think Brits are much dumber than Americans, they've spent the last decade or so trying really hard to prove they aren't smarter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skwirl posted:

No one knows off hand how big a gallon is compared to a pint

Wait, are we talking Statute of Queen Anne gallons, Statute of William III gallons or Imperial gallons?

E: you better not be one of those Corn Gallon fuckers

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Corn Gallon fuckers

I’ll stop loving my corn gallon when you pry it from my dying hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/E1kPlKR.gifv