Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In that universe, there'd be more fan reaction than words written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Sanderson is "good" but for me at least it's the difference between, say, Kubrick's Apocalypse Now and, say, Captain America: Civil War. Ive watched both and enjoyed both but they aren't on the same level.

There wasn't a massive fantasy writing talent who also had lived experience of combat available to take over the series though so hey credit to Sanderson for managing to do as well as he did. If nothing else Sanderson got things close enough that I can imagine how Jordan might have written it.

I want to live in the alternate timeline where Gene Wolfe was selected to finish the novel. The guy served in Korea and is probably the best American fantasy author in history and was very good at tying plots together. I think the dialog between the Dark One and Rand in his hands might actually have ended up better than how Jordan had originally intended it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Natural 20 posted:

What Jordan did so well was get you feeling the chaos of a battle, how isolated you can feel and how little you can do to direct the situation you're in. I actually think that Sanderson's style probably suited the Field of Merrilor better though, because of how intricate the moving pieces in that battle end up being. Jordan's typical ambiguity and confusion would have potentially led to an unintelligible mess there.

I will say, I don't know whether Aviendha through the arches was Jordan or Sanderson, but when I read that in Towers of Midnight I think I ended up going back and reading it two or three times more to make sure I'd actually read what I'd read. That scene hit me like a truck. To me, it's probably the highest point for the series since Rand doing the same in book 4.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the Sanderson books at all. I was responding to the notion that there wasn't another great and prolific American fantasy author with combat experience who could have stepped in to fill Jordan's shoes, but Gene Wolfe was right there and without a doubt the best writer of the three, and will likely be remembered as the best American fantasy author in history.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Harriet was adamant about getting someone who was as close to unknown as possible while also having a proven body of work to finish the series just so there wouldn't be a risk of an established author "taking possession" of the series by finishing it. Despite working on the last three books, it is never going to be "Brandon Sanderson's Wheel of Time". People debating if the last three books are really all that good is kind of a net win for Jordan if the alternative is people debating whether or not the first 11 books are as good as the conclusion, which is a masterpiece written by someone else despite Jordan's contributions.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That's a loving shame. I would strongly encourage you to get ahold of Shadow of the Torturer, The Fifth Head of Cerberus, or The Wizard Knight if you can find an affordable way to do so.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Khizan posted:

I'm pretty sure that "Best American Fantasy Author" will go to LeGuin.

I was honestly debating this before I posted. They're very different writers and I'm glad we have both.

quote:

I think the single biggest reason for giving the rest of the series to Sanderson was that he's an ultra-reliable workhorse writer. Giving the books to Sanderson meant that they knew the books would be written and the series would be completed within a pretty reasonable time frame. They weren't going to have to replace him with a third author or worry about him taking five years in between books or anything like that. Give him the notes and he'll bang out three doorstoppers of acceptable quality in ~4-5 years, easy.

This is likely true, but he had only published about a half dozen books and none of them were particularly long. The Mistborn trilogy was the most notable thing he had done at that point as well along with some Alcatraz books.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

silvergoose posted:

Went over American kids heads too, I can say with experience.

I've talked to people for whom the politics did not go over their heads and they fall into two camps:

1) People who immediately stopped reading the books
2) People who, well, you know

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want the sword fights to be them shouting the name of the move, and each move being some ridiculously stylized motion, overlaid with a clip of an actual boar rushing down a mountain, etc

I want it to be like a JRPG where the target doesn't move and the charging boar just tramples over them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hexel posted:

red hand gang :toot:

The hand is red from all the spankings

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Once Elayne has her kids, her plot armor is gone and she was too stupid to live.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best thing to do with fain would've been to leave him as an unresolved loose end.

Agreed. With capital E evil removed once more from reality, you need some other supernatural existential that stirring the pot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Going back to the movements of using the Power, I have to imagine it's easier on the actors, both casting spells and observing them, to have something to do and look at and react to than to have someone standing still and imagining the CGI.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pander posted:

That's basically the mat dilemma. A worthless lunk for two books who suddenly gets interesting with some POV chapters. People are gonna hate him if they stick to the books, curious if they're gonna just let him be an antagonistic idiot for a full season.

They are, which is why they're getting a much more charismatic actor for him in season 2 to pretend like it's a different character altogether.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is intended to be read as a joke. I don't think we have any idea why they replaced the actor.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zore posted:

The 3rd age in comparison lasted about 3.5 thousand years and still has a lot of memory of the previous age by the end which was absolutely not the case in the 1st or 2nd.

The 2nd Age absolutely has memory of the 1st Age, and potentially quite a lot of it, because of:

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Do you think they'll keep the same names for the old stories, like the giants mosk and merc, and the man who flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle and suchlike, or do you think they'll do new ones?

What we see in the 3rd Age are the remnants of what the 2nd Age knew after thousands of years and countless retellings, demonstrating one of the key features of the Cycle, memory fading to myth.

The 1st Age may very well remember things of the 7th Age because while it's very easy for us to project our world onto the 1st Age, we do not exist in the world of the Wheel of Time, so we don't know what the 1st Age actually looked like.

Alternatively, maybe what makes the big distinguishing moment of the 7th Age resetting the numbers instead of going into an 8th Age is a more total apocalypse than even the one at the end of the 2nd Age that causes humanity to go back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle in a way that never happens between other Ages (though the Breaking of the World came close). Maybe all our myths about Ragnarok and Noah's Flood are our memories of the 7th Age. Maybe those events were more clearly remembered thousands of years ago and maybe Mark Zuckerberg is about to accidentally discover magic with Meta and the first people who put on his virtual reality headsets will be able to see the One Power and the weaves and the 2nd Age is closer to us at this point than the 1st Age.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

uPen posted:

How do the Two Rivers Wisdoms not know they can channel? Even if they only have one girl with the spark every few generations, and only 1 in 4 of those survive they'd still have several women wandering around who look 40 but have been chilling for centuries. During the book's timeline there's 3 or 4 girls just from this generation that have the spark so if that's the normal rate they'd be producing someone capable of living centuries every 20-50 years or so, there would be dozens of them wandering around.

They don't Channel consciously, and in fact many if not all of them have blocks that prevent them from Channeling most of the time. It's possible that longevity is due directly to regular exposure to the Power. If they're not using it as frequently as an Aes Sedai, then maybe they live long lives, but not outstandingly long lives. Like Nynaeve may have gone weeks, heck even months, without ever touching Saidar.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just watched episode four. Holy gently caress this could be the greatest fantasy television show in history if the quality stays this high.

They did such a great job growing the world in this episode. We got amazing set pieces, natural exposition, and some serious flexing by the actors.

It's really obvious that everyone involved is giving the show 100%.

Also my five year old caught that it was the king dying in the woods but my wife and I both missed it at first. Excellent touch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I really like the changes they've made and episode four especially made it clear that the changes are with purpose. Except for Else. She got done dirty.

Ghaeldan was absolutely perfect too. Really amazing what they pulled off with limited sets and clever camera angles.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is not a show for five year olds

Thank you for your feedback.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nihilarian posted:

There was definitely a subtitle that said Else. I guess it changed at some point during development?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Subtitle? Her name was explicitly not given! The companion/xray stuff is how you know who

I watched it with subtitles and she was named as Else when she was speaking. Maybe they changed their minds during production, but the subtitles 100% indicated she was Else.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm in the camp of totally getting Nynaeve once I became an adult and a teacher.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I really enjoyed that episode, but I do wish they hadn't seemingly done away with Lan's one man war against the Blight. We need that for the Golden Crane scene to be as powerful as it is.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

goethe.cx posted:

I'm sure that'll come up later. One consistent pattern with this show has been fans saying "omg why did they cut [insert important plot point]" only to have it show up in a later episode

I had the same thought, but the line from Lan about having nothing to die for before Moiraine was rubbing me wrong. It could be explained next episode that Moiraine gave him purpose in fighting the Shadow and so he can have his revenge and serve a greater purpose at the same time rather than just throwing his life away.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Seems the cold open existed specifically so someone could point this out in a tweet:

https://twitter.com/Nakomi14/status/1474200901862764549

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I really liked parts of the episode and was baffled by other decisions. I feel like Loial has been done dirty ever since he appeared. I almost thought killing him unceremoniously was an admission that they had no idea what to do with him, but apparently he'll be back. Perrin is also just not working for me. Rand vs Ishmael loving ruled. I love that brief smirk right before Rand evaporates him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Do you think they're just going to merge Liandrin into Elaida? There's probably just not enough time in the show to establish Elaida's whole thing, a lawful-evil individual who thinks they're acting in the name of the greater good. Having Liandrin lead the Tower after Siuan is deposed works about as well and would cut down on a number of unnecessary plot threads.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
gently caress it I say and go hog wild on American accents.

"Oh yeah, my raken over 'dere has been filling not so good, dontchaknow. Might have to get her up to da clinic. Oli said he could lend me the wagon ya betcha."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dingleberry2 posted:

Eh, I'm not so much talking about the pomp, just the establishment of power levels. With Suroth we get her carried in on a 300 level God tier litter, immediately subdues a village and squad of seasoned fighters. Then she also immediately gets eviscerated by Turok. Turok also has a whole court waiting on him.

Siuan is just out for a night ride where anyone can just ride up to her carriage. Why don't the Whitecloaks just obliterate her?

It's like different crews filming each segment and not a good overall balance between them on how to present things, especially to non book readers.

I'm kind of OK with this as a contrast between the Aes Sedai and the Seanchan. It seems a little silly given what we book readers know, but for the show it clearly shows stratified and hierarchal Seanchan society is, but the Amyrlin is shockingly approachable, a genuine "mother" type role.